News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Upcoming CA Gun Shows we should attend

Started by bob 210, September 18, 2008, 02:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

Laylopro is gonna need some help this weekend at the Ontario gun show. We REALLY need some help folks. If you can help for a day or an hour, please step up and help us get the word out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Camljr

I can help out for a while on Saturday...
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Antibubba

Well gang, I've got a cold that won't go away, and with no other volunteers for this weekend's Cal Expo show I've let them know Appleseed will not be coming.

I'm still working on ideas to increase volunteerism for non-range events.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

bob 210

Howdy folks. Just a thought on gun shows. It is very important to attend these shows to promote the upcoming Appleseed events. It is also important to attend these gun shows regularly, because it gives us a "brand name recognition". The more people see us at these gun shows, the more we seem like we are here to stay and not some fly by night organization. It seems as though we keep relying on the same few folks to represent Appleseed at the gun shows and they are doing this in  addition to running shoots, doing admin, etc. We have 75 instructors in CA. We really need people to step up and help out at these gun shows. The fact that we had to cancel attending the Cal Expo show, makes us look bad to the gun show promoters that are willing to give us tables for free. I'm asking the rest of you to step up this year and help out in promoting at gun shows. The next gun shows are at Ventura on Jan 9-10 and Costa Mesa Jan 30-31. It looks like we are covered at Ventura, but nobody has stepped up for the Costa Mesa show yet. So who can help? Please post here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

LayloPro

Bob, and all,
The contacts made at these shows are the ones that will fill the line at our shoots.....while most of the folks will only take a flier or two, there were three distinct times this last weekend @ Ontario I had someone walk up to the table, look at the fliers, collect -all- the information, and look at me and say: "I've been waiting for this to come to California!" While my normal response would be to say: "Doof, we've been here for almost 2 years now..." I just tell them we got here as quickly as we could, and that they really need to come participate..... ..:..

Costa Mesa has been, and will continue to be the main show in SoCal for participation at our events.....whatever you do, do -not- let this one go under-manned (Womaned)(Is that a word??) Who's up for the end of the month workout?? Like the man said, you won't be laying in the mud, and you -will- be able to have your coffee to sip on......I can show up for awhile at either day...personally, I prefer Sunday's anymore...the folks that show up after 12 are the ones I usually want to talk with...they will see the value from what we tell them.... O0 Not to say that the other times are "bad", just a  bit more "hectic"..... :))

Also, helping the CRPA in their membership drive is another good point of helping -do- something for Cali....

If not us, who? If not now, when?

Action beats dialog almost every time.....

Get off your butt, and -DO- something.....you really will feel better about things.....and sleep better at night as well...

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Antibubba

Quote from: bob210The fact that we had to cancel attending the Cal Expo show, makes us look bad to the gun show promoters that are willing to give us tables for free.

Actually, McMann Roadrunner charges non-profits $20/table.

But I agree that it doesn't look good.  And if I could focus effort on any group within AS, it would be on Riflemen who have not gotten a Hat.  Nearly all who have a Hat are really busy as it is, and I don't want to guilt them into bailing more--that is the path to burnout.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

Camljr

OK. Who will help me work the Costa Mesa show on Saturday January30th?? :sos:   :sos:   :sos:

I will be there all day, as I got the nod from the MRS...  ~~:) 

not that I needed it, I just wanted to give her the chance to say it was OK!  :bow:

I will leave all the stuff with the table for Sunday folks to use... You just have to show up!!! O0

So.... Who's in????

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

LayloPro

Hey buddy,
not sure which day I'll be down yet...coming in as "relief person", as I can't really spend the entire day.....
more as it transpires.....

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Rocket Man

I can make it.  Saturday or Sunday, Saturday might be better.

Didn't want to say anything until I checked with the wife made sure.   :D
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

SavageShootr

It still depends on the Dulzura Appleseed. If FM needs help, I'm going to the 'seed. If not, I'll be at the show in Costa Mesa on Sunday.

I will be at the range Saturday.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

V

Quote from: Antibubba on January 05, 2010, 10:58:41 PM
Quote from: bob210The fact that we had to cancel attending the Cal Expo show, makes us look bad to the gun show promoters that are willing to give us tables for free.

Actually, McMann Roadrunner charges non-profits $20/table.

But I agree that it doesn't look good.  And if I could focus effort on any group within AS, it would be on Riflemen who have not gotten a Hat.  Nearly all who have a Hat are really busy as it is, and I don't want to guilt them into bailing more--that is the path to burnout.
I get into the McMann's free as I bring my own table and setup in the breezeways. They charge if they supply the table as they hire them. YMMV.

Jules

Is there anything up here in NorCal we should know about?

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

BaldDragn

Here's the Code of the West website.

http://www.codeofthewestgunshows.com/gun_show_schedules.htm

The February shows coming up are:

February 6-7, 2010

Turlock Gun Show

Stanislaus County Fairgrounds

900 North Broadway

Turlock, CA

&

February 13-14, 2010

Stockton Gun Show

San Joaquin County Fairgrounds

1658 So. Airport Blvd.

Stockton, CA

"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Antibubba

I'll commit to help out in Stockton, and it'd be really be helpful if someone could be there for the start of the show on Sunday, as I'd be getting there late.  Help on Saturday is good, too.    ~~:)   I've got a banner and poles so I can be there for the table setup.

There has to be a Seventh Stepper from the Stockton area who wants to help on this, right?   O0

Cal 7.62

"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

bob 210

OK folks, I just booked a table for the Costa Mesa Gun SHow Jan 30-31. We are gonna needs some more help. Please step up and help us to promote the upcoming events. If you haven't worked a table at a gun show for Appleseed before, this is a great opportunity to learn the elevator speech. Come on out, it really is a great time.

Marpat Pippi

If I got a spot at the Santa Barbara Gun Show February 13-14, would their be anyone who would want to man the table, and/or help out Saturday or Sunday? Please PM if you would be willing and able.

Grandson of Liberty

I can help out in Costa Mesa Sunday the 31st.  Bob, PM sent.
"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

Camljr

Looks like we have some coverage for the Costa Mesa Gun Show...

Saturday= Camljr (I will be there before 7:30 am)  rocket man, Bob 210 
Sunday= Grandson of Liberty, Maybe SavageShootr, if she does not go to the Dulzura shoot.
Laylopro says he will float in either of the two days but as relief and doesn't know which day yet.

We could use any help anyone could give for a few hours, to relieve the full day folks.

Quote from SavageShootr:
I am unsure as to my work schedule for this weekend. Too many variables to go into here. If I am not working as of Friday evening, I will be in Dulzura. GoL might be with Mr22calgal and 22calgal. (I think)

You can park in exhibitor parking. Last time I was there, they charged 5.00 for that. As you walk from the parking lot to the main gate, there is a restroom off to the right. Just after that and before the main building is a driveway off to the right. Walk up that way and the entrance gate is off to the left.

After you go through that gate go to the center of the breezeway and go into the building on the right, take an immediate right and go toward the back of that building, on the right, and check in. They will give you a table assignment. They will give you the badges. Whoever is there Saturday can leave the badges under the table for the Sunday crew.

Quote from: Grandson of Liberty on January 27, 2010, 01:21:40 PM
hey guys,

are you still planning on hitting the gun show in costa mesa this weekend? I can be there sunday. I sent bob a pm about it but haven't heard back yet. Assuming we're still on, but I just wanted to find out all the details about how i get in, when to get in, how to set up, will stuff be out already? what do I do with it when I'm done? anyone else gonna be there, etc?

Any info and help is appreciated.

Greg J.
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

bob 210

A great big thank you to all that showed up to help at the Costa Mesa Gun show this past weekend. The next gun show at which we would like to make an appearance is the Del Mar show on Feb 13-14. We have never been to this show before, but we have just signed up the Escondido Fish & Game Association for an Appleseed on Mar 20-21 and this would be the perfect show to promote this shoot and any upcoming Dulzura events. I will not book a table until I have some volunteers to run the table. Who can step up and get promotions started in San Diego county?

Antibubba

I'm still playing phone tag with the Code of the West lady, for the Stockton show 2/13-14.  Is there anyone here attending the Turlock show?  Is there a fee for us?   :-\

Antibubba

And I am now confirmed at Stockton!!    ^:)^  Code of the West is not charging us for a table.  If anyone would like to join me at the table for a few hours, I'd love to have you.

SavageShootr

Antibubba... Great work!!

Wish I could help, but it is a bit far....

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Antibubba

Don't sweat it.  You have plenty to do as it is.

But if someone who is reading this isn't already bailing with two hands...    ;)

Antibubba

Stockton Show, Day 1

The show opened like a flood, and the place filled quickly.  The crowd was a bit different than what I'm used to seeing at Cal Expo--fewer families.  Perhaps it being Valentine's weekend?  After 12:30 though the pace was slow.  I talked to quite a few folks who had not heard of Appleseed.  A lot of people know the Sacramento Valley range, but there were questions about shoots in Stockton (none yet).  My table was next to the NRA, but I was surprised to that CRPA wasn't attending.

A lot of the vendors were raving about the Turlock show last weekend.  Did we have a presence there?

More later,

Antibubba

Stockton Show, Day 2

Sunday was THE day!  Who would have thought that Stockton families would spend Valentines Day at a gun show?  But I talked to a lot of parents and children, all of whom were very excited about Appleseed.  I have to work on my History presentation; a lot of the kids were enthralled by the battle at Concord, with their parents nodding as they remembered.  I fully expect to see some of those young faces at a shoot very soon.  A lot of men are going to try to bring their wives--the story of how BaldDragn bribed persuaded Jules to attend had light bulbs over their heads.   **)

Code of the West provided a table at no cost, and they were easy to deal with.  I plan to attend their May show in Roseville.

I'd say about half of those I spoke to were familiar with The Sac Valley Shooting Center, or knew where it was.  There were a fair number from the Central Valley, with a few coming over from closer to the Central Coast.  I think it'd be a good idea to have a listing of upcoming shows for the region, just to give people an idea of other venues.  I wouldn't print up a bunch of fliers, but I plan to have a list of Valley and Coast shoots for me to reference, especially given all the shoots we have in April.

jacques

I went to tthe Santa Barbara Antique knife and collectible type gun show last weekend. Jessica and I handed out flyers. There were more vendor and staff people than there were general public.

It was very small. In about a couple of hours, we handed out, maybe 30 flyers and talked to people. Most of the people that were there seemed to be in the 70-80 age group. It is not a very good show. Bunch of junk. One of the vendors asked what we were handing out, I gave him a flyer. They were selling books and home made jewelry. He told me they were against guns so they would not be interested. LOL.  %)

We engaged a few people successfully I feel, so it was not a total loss. They really need to get a "REAL" show going on up here.

Next one, I think we will stand out front, or get a table, and do it that way.

It was valentines day also, so that may have had something to do with why there were so few people.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

Antibubba

I've started this thread under the Appleseed Schedule 2010 forum:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12047.0

I'd like to suggest that you have information for all the shoots within a 2 hours drive of your shoot.  Eureka is much farther, I know, but also the only one in it's area.  Who is the Eureka organizer?  Please PM me.

Antibubba

WooHoo!!!!!

Matt and Jessi are coming out to Cal Expo on Saturday to help spread the good word.   ^:)^
Do we have any takers for Sunday?    ~~:)   ;)