News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifleman's Boot Camp - How many would be interested?

Started by hornblower, May 04, 2010, 11:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornblower

I wonder how many are interested in a Rifleman's Boot Camp?

For one, I am very interested, as I feel that I need a longer program to perfect the skills necessary to achieve Rifleman status.

I am signed up for my second Appleseed in November at Myakka but I'll take all the training I can get.

Perhaps if enough of us are interested, an RBC could be arranged for late in the year, in the cooler months?

NHale

Definite interest here! I agree that cooler weather with less bugs would be even better. I really like what I have read about RBCs in other states, even if I *may* not be able to attend, I still think it's a great idea!

-NHale
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

hornblower

My thought was to hold it in early December, for two reasons:

1. Many of the Snowbirds will be back in Florida, and some in northern climes may come just for the RBC

2.  It will be a cooler time, hopefully, and that will be attractive to those who like myself, can't take the heat and humidity.

We need to have some positive responses so that ItsanSKS sees the interest and does what is necessary to get this organized.

Reports from other RBC's and IBC's extoll the great time that was had.

The extra days spent with great people, should be attractive to many, I hope.

Let's hear it from Appleseeders who want that training to attain Rifleman

ItsanSKS

We do have a facility that would accommodate a Riflemans Boot Camp (RBC), though I have not, as of yet, asked the range owner about such a thing.  We are working diligently to ensure that our debut event at that location goes better than expected, so that when I do ask, (and I will) the answer will be a foregone conclusion.

In order to schedule a RBC, we need at least 6 people to voice their desire.  Once we have those six, we can begin coordination of our schedules, to determine which week would be the most convenient for all involved. 

To alleviate any possible misconception:
An Instructor Boot Camp is 1: only for those who already are, or would like to become, RWVA Instructors-In-Training.  2: There is little-to-no marksmanship instruction at an IBC, as it is geared toward teaching the instructors how to be better instructors.  (The ability to instruct rifle marksmanship does tend to have a net benefit on marksmanship ability, but that is not the primary purpose) 3: There is rarely, if ever, any rounds put down range at an IBC. 4: Rifles are not necessary at an IBC, though they make helpful props for instruction purposes.

Now, contrast this with the RBC concept:
1: A RBC is a week-long course, designed to take someone who has never held a rifle before to "Rifleman" status.  2: anyone can attend.  3: Features a complete full-distance component, with the advantage of offering an AQT administered at actual distance. 4: Center-fire rifles are required for the full-distance component, though rimfire can be used for any range from 25m-100m  5: those interested will be given the opportunity to try their hand at instructing, and will be given specific, one-on-one tutelage to this end, culminating in their debut event at the end of the RBC. 

Current instructors are encouraged to attend, and assist in the instruction of, any RBC. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

hornblower

"In order to schedule a RBC, we need at least 6 people to voice their desire.  Once we have those six, we can begin coordination of our schedules, to determine which week would be the most convenient for all involved."

WE NEED 6.

I AM ONE!

jacques

This is a great opportunity. If you are already an instructor, or an IIT, and you have not been to a boot camp, I would highly recommend you find the time to go. You will think of this experience the rest of your life.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

smoakingun

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

hornblower

NHale
Smoakingun
Hornblower

We need a minimum of 6!

66 people have read the post.

I can't believe that there aren't at least 10 more Florida Appleseeders interested in a week with great people, being trained to do what they love, to a greater degree of excellence!!

The Guy

I'll come down and "run" it.

Now you have it fully staffed, and I wanted to get down there this year for a shoot anyway, so.....

The Guy

BTW,

if you do get one set up, or need some more intrest, then pimp this out in the GA board as well.....

They got some good (Appleseed) folk there.

NHale

Quote from: hornblower on May 05, 2010, 12:06:07 PM
NHale
Smoakingun
Hornblower

We need a minimum of 6!

66 people have read the post.

I can't believe that there aren't at least 10 more Florida Appleseeders interested in a week with great people, being trained to do what they love, to a greater degree of excellence!!

I think that is largely a function of publicity. How many Florida folks know of Appleseed? How many know about RBCs? How many are forum members? How many can swing it? (Note, there is no question of "how many would want it", all GOOD Americans want it. I think I need to spend more time converting the unarmed heathen...)
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

hornblower

We've had 92 reads of this topic so far, and I would think that they are all members of this forum.

PPP (pretty pis- poor) that we can't get 10% of those who read the topic to express an interest.

We need a minimum of 3 more.

HB

PHenry

I would be happy to assist in any way deemed worthwhile.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

hornblower

We have offers of help from PHenry, The Guy, and ItsanSKS.

We have 3 Appleseeders interested, and I would like to get that to about 10, at a minimum.

So we need some committments to reach that goal.

Then we need a date and a range.

My preference is for an early December date, so that anyone else who is in my age bracket, (70) and my physical condition (not great),

would not have to cope with high heat and humidity.

Come on guys, a week doing what we love, with great and like minded people, with the best instruction available; it doesn't get any better than that!!!!!!

Hornblower

caseyblane

I'm certainly interested. Not sure how it will go over at home. What should you expect a personal budget to be for an RBC? How many center fire rounds are we talking about? Can we camp there for free? I read ITSANSKS's post and understand the range is only in the works, but these are the sort of things that could be deal breakers for me at the moment.
Casey
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

hornblower

Caseyblane

All that you need to know can be found here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/boot_camps.html

The cost is $200 for the week - i.e. the cost paid to the RWVA.

Food, shelter, and ammunition are in addition to this.

Take a look at the above site.

Hornblower

ItsanSKS

The 'ideal' location (as far as cost to lease, cost to camp, etc.) is our brand-new venue in Silver Springs.  It is located on 30 acres or so of private property, offers free camping (primitive, with no water or electric hookups) and has range to 800 yds +. 

I'm honestly not sure of round count.  I've seen some reports of people putting in excess of 1,500 rounds down range, though I doubt we would approach that high of a number.  I would suggest bringing 500+ rounds of .22, and 500+ rounds of center fire.  If you have more available, bring it.  If you don't, WHY NOT?!  What good is a rifle if it starves to death?!

As soon as I have some available dates set up with the range, I will let everyone know. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Ratchett

Hi Fla!

Just wanted to share my RBC experience Osage Beach 10/09  FANTASTIC  EXCELLENT  SUPERB ok I quit with the adjectives....Seriously it is worth every bit of $$ put into it. Round wise I took 600 rounds 5.56 didn't use near that amount, did take 1000 rounds of .22 used about 600-700. We did have one day of range time lost to rain however the classroom information absolutely invaluable! No loss of day at all. The Guy ran the camp again excellent, all the instructors were great, one on one instruction and you learn something different from each person that works with you. They make sure to find what works best for you and that your rifle fits you not you fit your rifle. Any issues you have with getting your groups to 4MOA will be diagnosed---Does anyone know how intimidating it can be to have The Guy, Dinky Dao, Meanstreaker, EEL, Pappy, Greg from MO, Aftermath, Boba Fett, and Ben1775 standing behind you as you shoot trying to figure out what the heck you are doing wrong??? :o ??? :o  Praise God it wasn' t all me, my rifle wasn' t quite right. Then they put Big Papa on my case ::)  I came away with a Rifleman's patch, an orange hat, and an increased love of marksmanship, liberty, and a whole heap of friends I would die for---that ain't blue smoke either!

If there is any way possible you can save the $$ for the boot camp DO IT!! It will be the best investment of time and money you have ever spent.

In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

ThaiFighter

I can get 3 weekdays off given a month's notice...

just point...

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

theri

I am  interested and might be able to attend depending on the date and the location.

Terry
Whiskey Tango 9

DrJohn

The Guy was correct that some Georgia Appleseeders would be interested in an RBC close to home.  Definitely count me in!  The RBC I attended at Ramseur (2-10!) was one of the best experiences of my life, and made me some lifelong friends.  Now I know what to expect, it would be even more productive, as it would allow me to hone the skills that I feel need a bit more attention in order to be of more service to Appleseed.  Long-range and work with my centerfire come to mind.  Anyway, your student number has increased by one as of now.  Happy bailing!

DrJohn
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

ridefun2

If it's after finals week, I'll be there for sure!  I'd love to get my M1A out to stretch its legs!
Evan

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles." - Patrick Henry

hornblower

It looks like we are now up to 5 who are interested in a Rifleman's Boot Camp.

My preference for place is in SW Florida - around Ft. Myers would be ideal.

My preference for time is in late November or early December, when the temperatures and humidity will be more bearable.

We have at least 3 Instructors who have offered to help.

I am sure that if we get this scheduled, we would have plenty of people interested, but we need people to express interest in order to get it scheduled.

Hornblower

gaterloco

Quote from: hornblower on May 05, 2010, 02:51:10 PM
We've had 92 reads of this topic so far, and I would think that they are all members of this forum.

PPP (pretty pis- poor) that we can't get 10% of those who read the topic to express an interest.

We need a minimum of 3 more.

HB

I've been watching this topic with an interest in attending (wife also). But I haven't spoken up because date and location will make the difference if we can attend or not.

The Guy

Figure on 1500 rounds.

1000 .22

500 or more CF.

Yes, you will most likely go home w/some, but you do not want to run out.

ItsanSKS

Quote from: gaterloco on May 06, 2010, 12:39:57 PM
I've been watching this topic with an interest in attending (wife also). But I haven't spoken up because date and location will make the difference if we can attend or not.

Speak up!  we haven't set a date and location because we don't have enough interest to warrant it.   Once we have 10 people *interested*, I will poll those interested and find out what dates/locations work for the most people.  It is the fairest way of doing it.   

The Silver Springs venue is centrally located within the state, so it will be equally inconvenient for everyone...  Plus, it costs Appleseed NOTHING to use this range- the private land owner has kindly agreed to donate the land for our use.  This is a SIGNIFICANT savings.  Another range MAY be available in S. Florida, but I cannot speak to that, as of yet; negotiations are in the works.  Rest assured that I am not sitting on my laurels, waiting for a range to fall into my lap. 

kfish

I would make a trip down from ct for one but due to school i can only take time off late December or early January.  so don't use me as one of the definite 10 you need but keep in mind i will  be looking into attending if its scheduled during my break. no guarantees just throwing it out there

douglas34474

Silver Springs would be a go for me. Ft. Meyers is a little too far for me.

The Guy

Listen.

You build it, they will come.

Get a location, get it on the schedule, and folks will make it.

Folks, you have no idea how important it is to get to an RBC.  Distance should never be a consideration.  This is directed at all, not just FLA folks.  If you are coming as a student, you will learn to be able to shoot so much better, and get more time at real distance than usually possible.  As an IIT or Instructor, you will get a whole week to learn from eachother on how to be a better Instructor, not to mention hone your own skills.  Not to mention the team building and camradire that MUST be built to make a group function like a well oiled machine.

I truely believe that any Instructor who really wants to be among the best should make at least 1 RBC per year.  The oppritunity is too good to pass up.  I don't care how far away it is, it will be worth it.

Trust Guy on this one.

See you there.

franklinfarmer

Silver Springs and after the 10th of December (Lor' willin' an' the creek don't rise) I'll be there.

Other arrangements may be difficult, but I'll certainly still make every effort.

FF
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce