News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifleman's Boot Camp - How many would be interested?

Started by hornblower, May 04, 2010, 11:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Right now, lows in the 40's sounds pretty good. So do we have a date and a place? After all, them Redcoats ain't gonna shoot themselves, are they?
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

hornblower

It would seem that there is a lot of interest in a Florida RBC.
Since I started this thread on May 4,we have had 994 views, with many responses expressing interest.

We await word of a time and a place.

It would seem that we have enough interest to have more than one RBC before the year end.
I am sure that finding a place, that will allow us 7 or 8 days of exclusive use, is not that easy to secure.
We are confident that Florida Appleseeders will be able to come up with the facility we need.

NHale

After the heat of Summer sounds like a good idea, but I'm thinking you'll want it before the elections. Although afterwards, you might get a bigger draw.

NH
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

ItsanSKS

The owner of the property in Silver Springs is an understandably busy guy- farmer, business owner, and electrican, plus having a family... So yeah, he's awfully tough to get in touch with, and thats on a good day.  We've spoken, and he's supportive, but has some concerns that need to be addressed before giving the official "okay".

In an effort to not leave our eggs all in one basket, I am also attempting to reach the owner of the Bradford Sportsmens Farm, which is near Starke, FL.  This range features 850yds, a berm wide enough for about 20 shooters, and has camping facilities on-site.

Keep the hope alive, and I will report back with any new developments! 

In the meantime, keep up with your dry-fire practice, and keep on the lookout for new places to hold events- two-day, week-long, or mini, we need all the venues we can get- there can never be too many, after all!

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

bill o rites

i would be interested  definitely  december later the better     
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor and Success of this army depend. Remember officers and soldiers, that you are Freemen, fighting for the blessings of Liberty - that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men-1776

"If ever a time should come when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government,our country will stand in need of it's experienced patriots to prevent it's ruin." Samuel Adams,1780

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

ItsanSKS

To All:
UPDATE: RBC AT BSF IS ON HOLD.  DETAILS FOLLOW

As you all know, I have been working diligently to promote Appleseed with new ranges, and getting them signed up for events.  In the course of my travels throughout the state, I have come across a venue that will be superb for Appleseed, in that it can provide EVERYTHING that we will need, and then some.  

Up to this point, we have only had one viable location for an RBC, and this was the aforementioned Bradford Sportsmens Farm.  I moved forward with getting an RBC there due to the pent up demand for one, with much trepidation; they are a for-profit venue, and have provided very little in the way of logistics and support at previous events.  When the first concern about setting up an RBC is 'how much can we bring in, and how soon will you be able to pay' I get the feeling that they are not in it for 'the mission', but rather for $$$....

In my quest to find a premiere location for a Riflemens Boot Camp here in Florida, I have used a list of qualifiers that I've been looking for in a host facility:

• Ability to shoot Known Distances (400yds +)
  • On-site camping facilities
  • Reasonable Fee

The selection of BSF has been a compromise, as they only meet #'s 1 & 2.

Over the last three weeks, I have been working with the owner of a venue in Central Florida.  A man who prides himself on providing a comfortable atmosphere.  A patriot who believes wholeheartedly in "The Mission", and who is dead-set on hosting "the best damned Riflemans Boot Camp in the country!".  

A few details remain to be hammered out, but I can tell you that this will be like no other RBC- it will be an all-inclusive event- food, accommodations, transportation, entertainment, the whole ball of wax.  
Some of the things I CAN tell you are these:  the per-person cost will be similar; the dates will remain the same (December 12-19, 2010) food will be provided (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and there will be  three tiers of accommodations available- free camping, a low-cost bunk house that can sleep 8-10, and a plush lodge that can sleep 10 VERY comfortably. 

I will be meeting with this gentleman within the week, and hope to be able to announce the full details no later than next weekend.  

I sincerely apologize for what seems to be the interminable delays, but I think that once you see what we will be getting for our money, you will agree that I have made the right call.  

Please, hold tight.  The wait is worth it, my friends!

In Liberty,

ItsanSKS

I have just received the green light from the Bradford Sportsmens Farm, in Graham, FL for our very first Riflemens Boot Camp (RBC).  The dates for this event will be from December 13th through December 19th.  

Pre-registration for this event will be available soon, so start making plans to be there.

If you want to learn how to shoot your rifle, out to the traditional "Riflemans Quarter Mile" and beyond, this is the perfect opportunity to do so.  

A centerfire rifle is required for this class, as is ammunition.  I will endeavor to post the specifics ASAP.  Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.  

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

ItsanSKS

WE HAVE OUR RBC!

The owners of the Bradford Sportsmens Farm, in Graham FL, have agreed to host Florida's very first Riflemans Boot Camp.  This range features an 850yd firing line, and is wide enough to accommodate up to 23 shooters simultaneously.

Pre-registration for this event will begin shortly, and if you are intent upon coming, I HIGHLY suggest you pre-register for this event, as folks from all around the country will want to escape the ravages of winter...

marrandy

Eric.

I'm interested as I posted earlier.

Just need the dates, cost and ammo required to figure out time, money etc.

Thanks for the all the help at Citra.

Regards and best wishes...Martin

marrandy

Eric.

I'm interested as I posted earlier.

Just need the dates, cost and ammo required to figure out time, money etc.

Thanks for the all the help at Citra.

Regards and best wishes...Martin

smoakingun

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

AFTERMATH

RBC in FL-December!  That's gonna be a real hotspot!
Huzza!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

ItsanSKS

SEE FIRST POST

Florida's first RBC.

Location: Bradford Sportsmens Farm (www.bsfshootingsports.com)

Dates: Monday, December 13th through Sunday, December 19th. Start time of 8:30am each day.

Camping is available on-site, with RV hookups, including Electric and potable Water.

Cost to attend: $200 registration fee, plus $20/day range fee = $340/person for the whole week.

Stuff to bring: In addition to the articles normally brought to a two-day Appleseed, you will want to examine this list of things to bring to your boot camp: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/bc_whattobring.html  

FYI: this event WILL NOT happen, unless we can get at least five people pre-registered by September.  Please, do not wait until the last minute, as by doing so, you may find that the event has been canceled... The pre-registration information and an 'official' Event Information Page will be forthcoming soon.

9mm4545

YES! YES! YES! I want to sign up and there is a fair to good chance that my wife might want to do it also. "When" is the big question.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

marrandy

Please provide the sign-up link.

You will never get 5 people if no one can figure how to sign-up !

marrandy

Please provide a sign-up link ASAP.

Only then will you know how many people can afford the time and money to pre-pay the event.

gaterloco

Camping is $10.00 a day per site.

marrandy

Any registration news yet as I'm another option has come up for this timeframe and I will need to decide in a few days.

AdobeWalls

As an Appleseed Rifleman, I am about as green as they come, but I am still in for this event and will register and pay as soon as the page is set up.  I expect I will learn a lot, as I always do at Appleseed.  Due to a family medical emergency among my wife's family in Colombia, I am on a slower track to buy a Garand and the necessary ammunition, but will have that completed before these dates.  I have zero experience buying a CMP Garand, so if any compassionate reader has important insights for unwary newbies like me, I welcome your comments and criticisms, by private reply if you prefer.  I'll be camping at this event, and REALLY looking forward to this.
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

hornblower

Quote from: AdobeWallsOfFla on July 31, 2010, 06:43:40 PM
As an Appleseed Rifleman, I am about as green as they come, but I am still in for this event and will register and pay as soon as the page is set up.  I expect I will learn a lot, as I always do at Appleseed.  Due to a family medical emergency among my wife's family in Colombia, I am on a slower track to buy a Garand and the necessary ammunition, but will have that completed before these dates.  I have zero experience buying a CMP Garand, so if any compassionate reader has important insights for unwary newbies like me, I welcome your comments and criticisms, by private reply if you prefer.  I'll be camping at this event, and REALLY looking forward to this.

Information on buying a Garand would be appreciated.
I anticipate buying one through the CMP program.
How high in the quality scale of the CMP rifles do you have to go to get a really good rifle?

oldfudd

Adobe & Horn -- I believe that the best way to buy a CMP Garand is to go to the South store in Anniston, AL and pick one out yourself.  Normally when you walk in, you'll see a couple of hundred Garands in racks.  Surrender your driver's license and you can borrow a set of muzzle and breech erosion gauges to start checking rifles.  I've always concentrated on the muzzle erosion gauge to make my first quick and dirty exam of possible rifles.  Find some with little or no muzzle wear and you're looking at a virtually new barrel.  From there you can refine your selection to look at cosmetics, receiver number, manufacturer, etc., but likely you'll have a good shooter if the barrel is good.

Now, for your best selection, try to be there early on a Wednesday morning.  They stock inventory on Monday and Tuesday, and sell Wednesday through Saturday.  Anniston is located on I-20 roughly half way between Atlanta and Birmingham.

If you order through the mail, you'll get the luck of the draw and can't count on delivery time due to their backlog.  Since the sales tax in Anniston is 10%, if you find a rifle you like, it will be cheaper to have them mail it to your home rather than take it with you.  There's a fair chance the rifle will be at your home before you get back.  However, if you also buy ammunition, it's cheaper to pay the sales tax and take it with you due to weight of shipping.

Hope this helps.

Dick
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

AdobeWalls

Whoops, that message was so ready it sent itself.
Another newbie question: Does CMP ship in heavy grease like the old old days?  Or do rifles come ready to load and shoot?  Or something different?
I've never even picked up a Garand to look at it.  Do shooters need to buy .30-06 already loaded in en bloc clips, or is that an easy step?
That's all my absurdly dumb questions tonight.  Many thanks!
Showing how green I really am.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

ksuguy

Some come with lots of grease, some have none at all.  It's luck of the draw.   You can buy ammo with or without clips from the CMP. 

I went to the store on a Thursday in April.  There were no service grades on the rack, but there were some correct grades and the CMP specials.  I ended up going home with a couple of good field grades. Wasn't very crowded at all.   

I hear the crowds are kind of bad Wednesday morning and you will have to contend with people trying to block the racks so they can cherry pick the better ones first.  You might also see resellers going in and buying up the whole rack of service grades, so if you find one you like, get it fast.   

I'm tempted to sign up for the RBC and take a vacation in December.  I've got relatives that live near there and I've been to the range before.  It's a great facility.  It would be a few months before I would know if it was feasible though.   

douglas34474

A service grade is probably your best bet.

Understand that a barrel can measure from a -.5 to +2 on the gauge and still be a new barrel due to allowed tolerances. Another place to look at as an indication of usage is the breech of the barrel where the top of the bolt hits it as it goes to battery.

Be ready to detail strip the rifle, meaning to remove every part of the rifle, clean and inspect it. The newest of these are almost 60 years old.

If you need a hand, just ask.

ksuguy

Quote from: douglas34474 on August 01, 2010, 09:41:03 AM
A service grade is probably your best bet.

Understand that a barrel can measure from a -.5 to +2 on the gauge and still be a new barrel due to allowed tolerances. Another place to look at as an indication of usage is the breech of the barrel where the top of the bolt hits it as it goes to battery.

Be ready to detail strip the rifle, meaning to remove every part of the rifle, clean and inspect it. The newest of these are almost 60 years old.

If you need a hand, just ask.

If you absolutely want a new barrel, you can always pay a little more and get one of the refinished special grades with the new barrels.   Don't overlook the field grades though.  The one I got is very accurate,  even if it looks a little beat up.   It's in decent shape, but you can tell its been used. 

Old Dog

http://www.thecmp.org/orderinginfo.htm    ordering information

http://www.thecmp.org/formsindex.htm    forms

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/  links to what the parts are called, how to tear it down, clean it and put it back together
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

hornblower

"this event WILL NOT happen, unless we can get at least five people pre-registered by September.  Please, do not wait until the last minute, as by doing so, you may find that the event has been canceled... The pre-registration information and an 'official' Event Information Page will be forthcoming soon."
[/quote]

If we are going to get "at least five people preregistered by September" how about a procedure to do that?

PHenry

All we need to git started is an acknowledgment right here from a half dozen who are serious about this thing and we'll make it happen.

ItsanSKS is right now weighing our options between two venues. One is perfect, but pricey. The other is a possible "all inclusive" affair and is awaiting owner approval.

Regardless, if a half dozen or more want it - we'll make it happen. We just need serious commitments from serious peoples.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

hornblower

Quote from: ItsanSKS on July 20, 2010, 01:25:30 AM
Florida's first RBC.

Location: Bradford Sportsmens Farm (www.bsfshootingsports.com)

Dates: Monday, December 13th through Sunday, December 19th. Start time of 8:30am each day.

Camping is available on-site, with RV hookups, including Electric and potable Water.

Cost to attend: $200 registration fee, plus $20/day range fee = $340/person for the whole week.

Stuff to bring: In addition to the articles normally brought to a two-day Appleseed, you will want to examine this list of things to bring to your boot camp: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/bc_whattobring.html 

FYI: this event WILL NOT happen, unless we can get at least five people pre-registered by September.  Please, do not wait until the last minute, as by doing so, you may find that the event has been canceled... The pre-registration information and an 'official' Event Information Page will be forthcoming soon.

Perhaps I am not the only one who misunderstood.
The subject says "Riflemans Boot Camp is a GO!"
I was waiting for the sign up procudure.
I am one seriously commited

AdobeWalls

I'm in, and have requested leave for those dates, which will be granted.

ridefun2

I'll be there, just show me where to sign up!
Evan

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles." - Patrick Henry