News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifleman's Boot Camp - How many would be interested?

Started by hornblower, May 04, 2010, 11:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseyblane

Thanks for the additional information. Yes, I can get the money. They're printing it all the time, right? Now, to work on the wife.
Casey
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

hornblower

We now have about 8 interested parties, and we have plenty of time to promote this and attract many more to an RBC.

ItsanSKS, let's pick a place and set a date, so that we can get definite sign-ups.

I would like to get this in before the end of the year.

It looks like the weeks of December 5 or December 12 would be good for several people.

The begining of December is definitely a good time, before we get into the Christmas season, with people heading out of Florida to visit with families.

The weather should also be about perfect at that time of the year; not too cold and not too hot.

I'm going to my second Appleseed on May 29-30 at Myakka City.

Let's get a Florida RBC done.

Hornblower

ridefun2

The week of Dec. the 12th would be perfect.  The fifth through the tenth is the week of my finals. :P
Evan

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles." - Patrick Henry

ItsanSKS

I think we've shown enough interest that I can approach the land owner, and the consensus seems to be for a timeframe in mid-December or early January.

I will talk to our southern range this Sunday, and report back ASAP.  I will talk to our Silver Springs range at the event being held there next weekend, and will report back afterwords. 

While those of you contemplating that the event in December will be nice and cool, if a bit warm yet, I assure you (as someone who moved here from Michigan not too long ago) that the evenings get downright nippy.  The temps reach mid-60's during the day, true enough, but that doesn't help if you've frozen to death during the night!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

hornblower

ItsanSKS

I have talked about early December since I started this thread.

Perhaps we would do better with weather in November, but then I don't know about the people who have responded favorably to the proposed December dates.

My personal feeling is that I can take measures to stay warm in the evening, but I can't do much about high heat and humidity during the day.

5-7 days in the hot sun would be more than I could take.

Hornblower

marrandy

I would like shoot this event, and help on the line as well.

I don't get to shoot as much as I would like like.

Having Three rifles and 3 calibers and some other equipment I would like the time to slow down and refine my shooting with each weapon at range.

What is the longest range available ?

I would like to bring the wife as she has limited rifle shooting, but that will give me time between now and then to bring her up to speed.

Is this the place ?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=15500+SE+24th.+St.+Rd+silver+springs+florida&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=15500+SE+24th+Street+Rd,+Silver+Springs,+Marion,+Florida+34488&ll=29.174244,-81.965894&spn=0.007785,0.016512&z=17&iwloc=A

ItsanSKS

I talked with the owner of the property in Ft. Myers on Sunday.  He was receptive to the idea, but could not commit this early.  I will talk with him again soon to find out when he would be comfortable with it.

I have not yet spoken with Bradford Sportsmens Farm regarding the use of their facility, but I do know that they charge a serious fee for use of their range, and this would most likely make it cost prohibitive for most shooters. 

I will talk to the property owner in Silver Springs this weekend, and attempt to get him on board for an RBC.  He hasn't yet seen Appleseed in action, so I'm taking it easy for now.   This will be our first event at his property, and I'm certain that once he sees the event first-hand, he'll be sold. 

Give me some time, and we'll get one on the schedule.  A week of camping, shooting, and camraderie, what could be better?!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

hornblower

Eric

That sounds great.

I think an RBC anyplace in Florida would attract a good group.

If we can get it in Ft. Myers, or anywhere in SW Florida, we can get the jump start we need to make Appleseed vibrant in this area.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Once we have the range, and the date, I will promote it heavily in the Naples area.

WoodyTreadnaught

Silver springs? Count the Parramore Knot in. Queenie will be dialed in at 600 by then

smoakingun

itsansks saidit best,if a range is available in central fl it would be equally inconvient for everyone. weather in december should be ideal, dry, cool to moderate temps, 8 to 10 hours a day in the fl. sunshine. 8)
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

hornblower

"itsansks saidit best,if a range is available in central fl it would be equally inconvient for everyone."

That's great, but if we want to grow Appleseed in the state of Florida, we should be thinking of how to make it convenient for everyone.

To my knowledge, we have nothing in the way of Appleseed's in the following counties:

Charlotte
Glades
Lee
Hendry
Collier

That's a big chunk of population.

I think we can have RBC's in several geographic locations, and attract more people because of the proximity.

Not everyone can afford overnight accomodations for 7 days.

Being able to go home at night might make an RBC, and an Appleseed, more attractive to a larger number of people.

9mm4545

You can count on one more. When and where is the question.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

hornblower

Itsansks

Any progress on a place?

I am certain that once we announce a date and a place, we will have more than enough for an RBC.

I am willing to go anyplace, at any time, but I would prefer something in SW Florida, and when the weather is cooler.

I am going to my second Appleseed this weekend in Myakka City.

I can take two days in the 90+ heat, but I don't know how I would do for 7-8 days.

9mm4545

Any more info on time and place? I really liked the Silver Springs location but can you really get to 500+ yards there? The weather is usually good in early-mid Dec., even for camping out (well, except for the wind and cold and rain. :)) Not necessarily having to tent it would be a big plus however. Nothing like a hot shower after flinging lead downrange all day is what I say. So let's do it!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

PHenry

ItsanSKS has already left for Myakka, but I know he has a likely location for this RBC at a range north of Silver Springs I believe. He spoke to the owner and I believe that he has gotten an affirmative response and will soon announce same.

In the mean time - we need help getting the word out for existing events already on the books. I have in my possession, about 50# of SWAT reprints and a great flier PDF that can be printed out for distribution to local gun shops, ranges, bulletin boards, etc. The only restriction is your imagination and time.

Many thanks - look forward to meeting all ya'll on the trail - time for me to leave for Myakka too, since I have all the stuff!

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

k-os

I can't commit to making plans 6 months ahead, but I am interested in attending a Florida RBC.  I have no idea what it costs, but whatever the cost, I bet it would be worth it.

hornblower

As I understand it, the cost is $200.

That is for the RBC.

Food, Lodging and perhaps range fees, are extra.

As these go 8 days, it is necessary to plan well in advance.

Landowners, and ranges, need long lead times to insure that the RBC does not interfere with other activities.

RickB

I was at RBC 1 way back in 2006 and I want to do it again!  I'll sign up as an attendee--anywhere and anywhen in Florida.  I'm not sure which was the more fun--the shooting or the hanging out together in the evenings.
Count me in (Lord willing),
RickB

flnativegal

I am willing to attend your boot camp.... I would consider hosting it at my farm, as I have a small private range. There's ample room for camping but I do not tolerate ciggerette butts on the ground or smoking anywhere close to my buildings.

ItsanSKS

Quote from: flnativegal on June 04, 2010, 10:37:02 AM
I am willing to attend your boot camp.... I would consider hosting it at my farm, as I have a small private range. There's ample room for camping but I do not tolerate ciggerette butts on the ground or smoking anywhere close to my buildings.

PM Sent

AdobeWalls

I have the interest and annual leave available to attend.  Especially in mild temperatures.  But is this a centerfire event?  Maybe that's a dumb question, so here's another I reckon: Is there some place on the RWVA site that describes what happens at RBC?  Would save trying everyone's patience with explaining to me.  Many thanks in advance.  Richard, Tallahassee FL
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

ItsanSKS

From my second post in this thread:
Now, contrast this with the RBC concept:
1: A RBC is a week-long course, designed to take someone who has never held a rifle before to "Rifleman" status.  2: anyone can attend.  3: Features a complete full-distance component, with the advantage of offering an AQT administered at actual distance. 4: Center-fire rifles are required for the full-distance component, though rimfire can be used for any range from 25m-100m  5: those interested will be given the opportunity to try their hand at instructing, and will be given specific, one-on-one tutelage to this end, culminating in their debut event at the end of the RBC.

Current instructors are encouraged to attend, and assist in the instruction of, any RBC. 

So, Yes.  Centerfire rifles are required for the 'long range' portion, which will, at a minimum, be 400 yards, preferably 500. 

willorith

We have ranges in FL that will allow shooting to 600+ yards. The RBC will undoubtedly be at such a range. You should provide for at least 500 rounds of centerfire and 500 rounds of rimfire. It makes the PSL look pretty good.
We are but human.

AdobeWalls

Many thanks ItsanSKS and Willorith, and other helpful commenters on the thread.  I'll start trying to find a centerfire rifle.  I would like very much to learn this well and completely, and build skills.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

AdobeWalls

I'm in.  I spent half the day on the CMP site (ordinarily I don't like shopping, but this was different) and reading their catalog.  I'll place my CMP order Monday -- that seems like the expedient way to do it -- 60 days to delivery, according to their site.  I will pay attention to the thread and watch for dates.  For a week-long event, any location of your choice will be fine.  I'll camp, if that's an option, and will bring extra chairs and no attitude.

TomM1Thumb

Well this is beginning to sound like a Go, Depending on where and when I will say Yes to an RBC, I asked the GF and She is Up for it too!

Silver Springs is a Great location and I and GF attended the May 15,16 event there. We had Fun and the People were GREAT! there are A lot of Hotel, Motels in the area, Just make Your reservations early, If You are going that route. Camping should be done in a Tent, or a tent style pop up trailer,a very light truck mounted camper might be OK also. Anything more than that could pose a Problem.

There seems to be at least 10 if not 20 Campgrounds/RV parks in a 10-15 mile range of this Appleseed event area.

If done in the Ft Myers area, that could be doable also, as I have a few friends in that area too!

I will be checking the subject out often, to keep up to date.

Tom
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

9mm4545

I think Silver Springs would be a great location for a RBC. How about early December before the snow gets too deep? ;) I would be up for it, snow and all. The sooner it is scheduled, the sooner I can put it on my calender, start buying more ammo, digging out my tent/sleeping bag/ground pad--or Mastercard. Build it and they will come...

hornblower

Is Silver Spring in Marion County.

Anyone have the exact address.

I get two Silver Spring's when I mapquest it.

One is east of Ocala, and the other is west of Tallahassee.

Thank you.

douglas34474

Yes, Silver Springs is in Marion County, just East of Ocala.

TomM1Thumb

Oh! 9mm4545 You are a silly Goose, Everyone knows that it only snows in Florida during a Blue Moon, then only in January, and February. But the nights in Early December, may drop into the 40's

As They say on the Price is Right"COME ON DOWN!!!!"
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine