News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor KD weekend, August 4-5 2012, Atterbury JMTC

Started by yellowhousejake, June 25, 2012, 10:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Rifle Data Provided
Chilidog
Donny
NWIEng
Slow2Speak
Tater

SPQR - Previous data good?
Auntibellum - Previous data good?
Brown - Previous data good?

Am I missing anyone?

OK folks, as we get closer there will be more details listed. What you need to know now.

- There are only thirty spots available at this time. If those fill and we can get the staff needed we will open the line up. We can go to eighty.
- Atterbury is hot in the summer and there is no shade.
- Everyone will be relaying through the pits.
- If you are a light sleeper, the sound of 155s and 50 BMG may keep you awake all night.
- We will have two squads. Squad A will shoot Saturday morning and work the pits Saturday afternoon, then work the pits Sunday morning and shoot Sunday afternoon. Squad B, of course will do the opposite. Everyone gets to shoot in the AM and the PM both.
- We will end the weekend getting come ups from 100 to 500 yards.
- You will be expected to have enough of the same ammo to shoot all weekend.
- You will be expected to have a solid 25 yard zero, and demonstrate same Saturday morning.
- You will be expected to have a known functioning rifle.

This is an instructor weekend, as in "Riflemen". If you show up with three kinds of ammo or a scope in the box, you will go to the pits to work. If we have time and daylight remaining Saturday afternoon, you will be allowed to get sighters, if you can convince someone to work the pits for you. If you bring a $3000 primary rifle and a $500 spare rifle, I am going to suggest that the $3000 rifle is unreliable and push strongly for you to use the $500 rifle. Bring a rifle that works, everytime. I understand that things go wrong and that things break, but we will not hold the line while you read instructions. Some instructors will be driving a long way to attend and they do not want to sit in the grass while you search for blue locktite.

Get to the range, get you and your rifle sorted out beforehand. We might do something fun, who wants to miss out on fun for want of a lost setscrew.

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

philagothon

yellowhousejake

Quote from: philagothon on June 25, 2012, 11:03:07 PM
Where do we sign up?

The admin team works as fast as they can, it will show up, they always do don't they?

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

slim

Quote from: yellowhousejake on June 25, 2012, 10:46:08 PM- If you are a light sleeper, the sound of 155s and 50 BMG may keep you awake all night.
Ah... the good ol' days.

Brown

I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

spitfire51

Unfortunately I can't make it that weekend, have fun everyone.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

grunt soldier

I can't make it either.  weekends off ended last week for the next couple months.  hope everyone has a great time though. 
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Edheler

Ok, I might double border raid you. Be prepared to be invaded by Pennsylvania. :) At least I should have my zero worked out from the Gibsonburg, Ohio KD the week before. I haven't shot anywhere with pits so it sounds like a great experience.

JV

cant wait for this event, getting my come ups from 25-100 on my rifles this weekend. now to decide whether to shoot the ar15 or the new m1 garand
Quote from: ATM on August 14, 2012, 11:37:57 AM
It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

AuntieBellum

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

brianheeter

(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

SPQR

In like Flint.

everybody bring some .308 and expect the unveiling of The Kang!
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

NWIeng

JV

It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

techres

Signed up and checking SPQR's "KD Checklist":

1. Rifle & Ammo - Check!
2. Pen & Paper - Check! (actually sharpie & back of hand, but...)
3. Leave Silly Rifles at Home (Krinkovs, crickets, enfields) - Check!
4. Absolutely No Tannerite - Check!
5. BBQ for cooking in the Pits - Check!
6. Eyes & Ears - Check!
7. Eye of the Tiger - 200 Check!
8. Spare .308 for the beast! - Check!
9. Water - Check!

Gonna be awesome!

Brown

I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

slim

On the list.

Anyone have a place to crash on Saturday night?

AuntieBellum

Quote from: slim on July 09, 2012, 07:55:24 PM
On the list.

Anyone have a place to crash on Saturday night?

Yep...there are some nice patches of grass right there on the range.   ^:)^  I can loan you a tent if you need one, but I'll warn you that my loaner tents aren't exactly water tight...but we all know that Indiana doesn't get rain much anymore.

And just like I offered at the last Atterbury shoot - anyone is welcome to use my shower.  It's AMAZING.  Seriously.  Bring a gallon jug or your own solar shower, and you're all set.

I'm definitely in!!!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

yellowhousejake

Camping is not a problem, we take full possession of the range so we generally camp at the 100 yard line on the east end of the berm.

Mat can be brought, personally I don't use mine at Atterbury. It's one thing more to drag between the ranges and the ground is soft anyway. The mat keeps you from getting a solid divot for your support elbow, IMO.

I recommend you go to the line with these things to get the most from the weekend.

1) A sorted out rifle. Not something with a new scope or untried trigger. You want a rifle that has proven itself to run 200 rounds without jamming or failure.

2) 250 rounds of the same ammo, brand and lot, you used for item one. Keep the rest of the ammo in the truck.

3) A backpack.

4) Water, pencil, notebook, more water, two magazines, light rain gear only if weather calls for it, a few snacks, sunscreen, sun glasses you have shot with before, hat.

5) An attitude that you have been wet before, tired before, dirty before, sore before, hot before, and survived every time. Smile, not many people get to shoot on a military known distance range just for the fun of it.

6) A small digital camera, 'cause you are going to want to remember this weekend.

As SPQR likes to say, everything you absolutely need, and nothing you will not use.

Yellowhousejake

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Preparation for Atterbury.

1 - Start time - Checkin is at 7:30AM EDT. For those in most of Indiana, this is 7:30. For those in the Central time zone, it's 6:30 CDT. Safety briefing is at 8:00 sharp. We will not wait to get started. The day will be long and we can't afford to lose time here.

2 - Camp Atterbury firearms policy - No firearms. An exception is made for civilians for the firearms to be used on the range for an event.

3 - Centerfire Rifle, Zeroed - Please make an effort to get a known zero prior to attending. 25m or 200yds required.

4 - 250 rounds of ammunition - Make sure it is all the same as what was used to zero. For those with AR's, heavier is better. 62gr vs. 55gr, 75gr vs 62gr, etc...

5 - The elements - The range being used is not sheltered in any way. If it's sunny, you will be out in the sun. If raining, you'll be out in the rain. Bring what's appropriate for you and bring cover for your rifle if rain is expected. Layered clothing is best so that you can adjust to the changing temps. Events are not canceled due to the weather(exception with extreme weather only. i.e. - tornado, severe storm/lightning). Do not bring portable shelter as the firing line will be moving frequently.

6 - Additional items:

> Shooting mat.
> Sling.
> High powered binoculars or spotting scope. Will be used during sight in for each distance. We understand that not everyone has these. Some should be available to share.
> At least 2 magazines. Round count on each string will be 10 not including sighters but transition stages require a mag swap. Internal mag bolt guns will have to reload within time constraints.
> A way to take notes.
> **Eyes and Ears** Eye and Ear protection is NOT an option.

7 - Sign Up - YOU MUST HAVE SENT YOUR INFORMATION(name, address as appears on your ID, rifles and their serial numbers.) TO Yellowhousejake and Bill 3 PRIOR TO July 29th. To be safe also email your information to in@appleseedinfo.org

8 - Hydration - make sure to bring enough water/gatorade/etc.. to stay hydrated. It might be cool out being early in the year but the wind can take it out of you faster than the heat.

9 - Food - There will be a designated time for lunch. Please bring what food you need ready to eat. Leaving base for lunch is not the best option and we continue without anyone who is late returning from lunch. If everyone brings food that can be eaten on the fly, all the better.

10 - From the gate to the range control - Essentially, you continue through the cantonment area on the road you came in on. You will come to a stop sign across from the fire department. Range control is on your left, Look for a white Ford Ranger. A $10.00 per day range fee is required from each shooter attending.

If you have any questions, please contact me at in@appleseedinfo.org or call my cell at 1-317-989-0578. Keep this number handy in case you have any questions in route once on the base.

Thank you - Yellowhousejake

One more time, you will NOT be allowed to participate without the following info turned in to Range control.

Name
Address as appears on your ID
Rifle model and caliber
Rifle serial number

YHJ

techres

Spent the morning at the range with newest lot of ammo and trusty AR.

Confirmed my 100 yard come up and started my tank top tan.

Will return next week to confirm my BUS adjustments, and will leave ammo bearer behind as the excursion was prematurely ended due to some kind of boyscout camp induced malady which caused us to retire early.

The plains of Attebury await!  Who else is prepping for our safari?

SPQR

Tater took TBE and I down to SVGC and worked out the kinks with the Kang.  With the price of .308 nearing $9,000 per round i don't know how much ammo I will bring for it...  bringing the AR as well.  It woke up ready.  No horsin needed.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

techres

Bring the Kang.  I got food she'll like.

Quote from: SPQR on July 15, 2012, 10:58:02 PM
Tater took TBE and I down to SVGC and worked out the kinks with the Kang.  With the price of .308 nearing $9,000 per round i don't know how much ammo I will bring for it...  bringing the AR as well.  It woke up ready.  No horsin needed.

JV

was out shooting the AR this weekend and the rear sight fell off! the part of the mount that the screw goes into was lost! so i had to order a new set of rear sights  (great excuse for upgrade, now my rear sights will have elevation adjustments!) will be sighting it in once the rear sights arrive so i will be ready. have come ups on the m1 down from 25-50-100 yards. also awating 600 rounds for the m1, still need to learn the trick of putting only two rounds in at a time.

Slow2Speak

Hey I need some help Im trying to zero my ar for 25 yards and get my come ups to a 100 its an a3 with standard a3 detachable carry handle and standard front sight post with bayonet lug 20" barrel I can get zeroed at 25 but at 100 im about 6 inches high so the problem is the rear sight is all the way down pretty much and the front post is sticking up above the wings I dont have any adjustment left to speak of to lower the poi at 100 yards just had model 1 sales (er shaw) chromoly barrel installed it has the front sight that came on it I have had 3 different front sight posts in it and 2 different rears on it same thing with all the configurations shooting 55 grain ball it shoots tight groups just cant get them down   bout ready to use the rifle for a hi lift jack handle        :wb:

SPQR

give the rear drum one complete rotation, setting it back on 6/3, and then re-zero at 25 adjusting the front post.  This will give you drum adjustments out beyond the range of the round for elevation and still let you dial it down 6MOA to the 100 yard zero.  the other method is to only use the 25M setting.  hold low for 100, not quite as low for 200, you will be back on for 300 and then hold high for 400.

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Slow2Speak

im at the lower 6/3 setting zeroed at 25 with the front post already sticken up to high if I give the rear drum one complete rev up to 6/3 again then I will have to raise the front post even more to zero it back at 25 or am i confused  The front post is almost loose its so far out already at 25 yards

slim

Quote from: techres on July 15, 2012, 02:56:06 PMWho else is prepping for our safari?
I stay prepped for this type of safari!

Quote from: Slow2Speak on July 16, 2012, 07:25:40 PMI have had 3 different front sight posts in it and 2 different rears on it same thing with all the configurations shooting 55 grain ball it shoots tight groups just cant get them down   bout ready to use the rifle for a hi lift jack handle        :wb:
Once upon a time I bought a complete upper with a flat top and quad rail. It had some super sweet NC Star BUIS on there. I took it out to zero and couldn't see where I was hitting.

I couldn't see because I was hitting the dirt about six yards off to the left of my target... half way there! I was quick to blame the quality control experts at NC Star but after an exhaustive IMC experience I determined the quad rail had been incorrectly installed and wasn't properly aligned with the flat top.

I started getting into minor smithing and then decided I'd just use a single focal plane sight mounted to the flat top instead. No need to align a front and rear now. Just put the dot on the target and blam!

If you really wanna run irons, make sure your carry handle is mounted correctly and it's aligned with the front sight. Sometimes the handles are too far forward or back, not in the groove right, etc. There are different sizes of handles and front sight bases. Could they be slightly off?

As for zero... if you're six inches high at 100, you're about right. For shooting KDAQTs that's going to be just right since the V is "about" six inches up from the bottom of the target. Once you have your front sight set on an AR, you never really touch it again. Set it and forget it!

SPQR

I am thinking we may just want to get the locals together at Chilidog's and have a shakedown to make sure everyone has a 25 and 100 meter zero before we go.  then we can write them down.  that would be a good time to gom around with a finicky sight and get it squared away. 

"Indiana rules!" - Nero