News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor KD weekend, August 4-5 2012, Atterbury JMTC

Started by yellowhousejake, June 25, 2012, 10:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slow2Speak

Quote from: philagothon on July 25, 2012, 05:59:27 AM
A little embarrassed  :-[, but not too proud to ask...

I would love to come to Atterbury, but I have a couple things holding me back.
1. Time
2. Rifle

Time - Is it feasible to come out for Sunday only? I'm working sixty-eight hour weeks right now and I doubt I'll be able to make it out for Saturday. I don't want to drag everyone else down on Sunday because I missed out on Saturday.  I would rather stay home than hold the rest of you back.  There is a very slim chance that I could make it out for the whole weekend, but it's not impossible.  If Saturday attendance is mandatory to shoot on Sunday, can I come out Sunday just to watch and learn?

Rifle - I only have one rifle that is capable of reaching out to 400 yards, a Mosin Nagant 91/59 carbine.  My highest round count for a day with it is well south of 100. I honestly don't know if I can handle multiple AQTs behind that steel butt-plate, but I'm willing to try.  It's also slow; slow to cycle and slow to reload.  The sights and adjustments are crude  &).  The good news is that ammo is cheap and it's MY rifle.  I can buy a can of ammo and head to the range this weekend to line it out.  I've had a couple offers for loaners (thanks UD & AB); but I can't afford to feed Uncle Davey's M1 and AuntieBellum is too far away for me to have a chance to familiarize myself with her rifles beforehand.  I'm not above using a loaner, but it would need to be cheap to feed (I can get 300 rounds on chargers for the Mosin for $80) and close enough that I could meet you at a range this weekend to familiarize myself with it.

I would love to be a part of the KD weekend.  I've done very little shooting beyond 100 yards and have a lot to learn.  I think it will help me to be a better instructor.  But, dragging everyone else down for my sake is no fun.

Well, it's nearly 5:00 AM.  My alarm is going off in four hours to start another day.  Let me know if I should bother signing up, and don't be afraid of hurting my feelings if you feel I'll be too much of a drag; Appleseed is more important than me and my desire to come play too.
Dont forget about 7.62 x 39 I got a yugo sks your welcome to ,you can get ammo cheap for them not the best seedin rifle but would get you by 

techres

S2S,

Do you mind him using yugo surplus ammo?  I have a pile of brass cased stuff on stripper clips that I would be happy to donate to a fellow shooter if you do not care about slightly corrosive surplus ammo running through the SKS.

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

philagothon

Quote from: SPQR on July 25, 2012, 11:09:20 AM
Dude, bring the Mosin.  That would be awesome.  Your ammo will be fairly cheap.

Lets all remember, we don't always shoot an AQT just for the Rifleman's score, we do it fer the learning.

I'm definitely in this one fer the learnin'.  And what better teacher than a 7.62X54 carbine with a steel butt-plate! There will be a fire extinguisher nearby, right?  Cause, with the fireball this thing throws and our current grass conditions... well, I'll make sure to have an extra water bottle on the line.  I'm not concerned with getting a KD patch (or whatever acclaim comes with shooting 210 at KD).  I want to learn what it's like to actually shoot that distance so I can better relate it to the shooters.

I'm seriously fine with bringing and shooting my Mosin.  In my mind, it's kinda the spirit of the program.  Run what ya brung.  Bring, shoot, and learn YOUR rifle.  We're suppose to be able to do this with a rack grade rifle and rack grade ammo, right?  It's not suppose to require levitating handguards, hypercryomegahammersuperforgeduberbull barrels, 1/4 ounce triggers, 50# rifles, 300X range estimating NV capable scopes and handloads weighed to 0.000001 grains.  It doesn't get much more rack grade than a 70 year old rifle and ammo from the same era.  It may not be the fastest, or shoot the tightest groups.  But, I can almost guarantee I'll be the most hurtinest! ;D

The part I'm most embarrassed about is that I'll likely only be able to make it for Sunday and I don't want to slow everyone else down.  Of course, 55 seconds is 55 seconds, I probably can't slow that down.  But, if I show up with a rifle that's not zeroed for me... well I feel like that would be wasting y'all's time.  If the COF has a few minutes Sunday morning to shoot a group and do IMC, then I'm ok with borrowing anyone's loaner.  If not, I should probably stick with my Mosin.  The reality of my rifle situation is that I can only afford to feed one rifle for that weekend.  I can't feed my Mosin and also bring backup ammo for someone's M1, AR, AK, SKS, or Enfield if the Mosin proves to be too much for me. 

So, to the Powers That Be: Is Sunday only alright?  As long as I promise to hustle and not waste everyone's time?

PS: Firefox's spellchecker hates me!  ;D
Stage 2 Mosin icon below!  **)
:---

philagothon

Oh, for anyone that might offer a loaner.  I'm in Ellettsville and a member at Martinsville Conservation Club.

techres

And he has the most insanely light trigger for a mosin you have ever seen. 
Scary light.

As far as 55 second.  You only need 7 5's to hold your own.  You have a no target shifts, a feed ramp and 5 round internal mag - it is doable.

The trick is dead on for the first and fourth.

Oh, and, you know, if you really want to make that rifle all it could be, you might just take it over to the EBR side just a bit...

;)

Orangedotfever

"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

DaveD

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Slow2Speak

Quote from: techres on July 25, 2012, 01:04:46 PM
S2S,

Do you mind him using yugo surplus ammo?  I have a pile of brass cased stuff on stripper clips that I would be happy to donate to a fellow shooter if you do not care about slightly corrosive surplus ammo running through the SKS.

Techres
No I dont Mind A bit it will clean up Just Let me Know and I will Bring it Saturday to the Chilidog Ranch

yellowhousejake

Sunday only is fine Kevin. Send Bill 3 and I your info. Everyone with a rifle he may use please update your info to show the rifle is coming on base.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

It's very liable to be hot. Ideally I want two coolers in the pits and one cooler at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds. I have two five gallon construction drink coolers and two large picnic coolers that will hold three one gallon bottles with ice.

Who else can bring coolers? We will also need to plan on a run to town Saturday night to get them refilled.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Brown

LL and I can bring 2 coolers. will also bring a case of water and have both of them loaded with water and ice when we arrive sat mroning
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

SPQR

I got that big ol' formerly YHJ cooler that is rip roarin and ready to go
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

spitfire51

I can't make it that weekend but if you need a cooler you can borrow mine.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

AuntieBellum

I can bring two big water coolers.  Good for leaving at 300 and 400, for example, to refill water bottles.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

techres

Brown

Quote from: spitfire51 on July 25, 2012, 10:19:34 PM
I can't make it that weekend but if you need a cooler you can borrow mine.

And I can pick it up easy enough

slim

I'm bringing a spare rifle (and ammo) and philagothon or anyone else is welcome to it. I can only shoot one rifle at a time!

yellowhousejake

I could use a Line Boss, I am the only instructor signed up.

We can pull RSOs from the line, but a LB would make things easier as I will already be listening to two radios. I am fine with different LB on Sat and Sun if any of you already KD experienced Riflemen don't mind shooting only one day.

YHJ

YHJ

techres

AuntieBellum

Do you want a consistent pit boss for the each day, too, or just pull someone from each rotation to run the radio from the pits?  If the former, I'm happy to take Saturday in the pits.  If the latter, put me where you need me.  I already have ball-park come-ups for the rifle I'm bringing.

Quote from: yellowhousejake on July 26, 2012, 08:49:30 AM

We can pull RSOs from the line, but a LB would make things easier as I will already be listening to two radios. I am fine with different LB on Sat and Sun if any of you already KD experienced Riflemen don't mind shooting only one day.

YHJ

JV

i will be bringing a large cooler full of water bottles and ice
Quote from: ATM on August 14, 2012, 11:37:57 AM
It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

yellowhousejake

Quote from: AuntieBellum on July 26, 2012, 09:10:24 AM
Do you want a consistent pit boss for the each day, too, or just pull someone from each rotation to run the radio from the pits?

I already figured on putting you and SPQR on opposite squads to handle the PitBossing.

YHJ

YHJ

slim

Ive done quite a bit of kd already this year so I can "work" the whole time. I'd like to work the pits at least one day since I've never pulled pit duty.

Use me as needed. Typical Air Force...

AuntieBellum

Quote from: yellowhousejake on July 26, 2012, 09:45:40 AM
Quote from: AuntieBellum on July 26, 2012, 09:10:24 AM
Do you want a consistent pit boss for the each day, too, or just pull someone from each rotation to run the radio from the pits?

I already figured on putting you and SPQR on opposite squads to handle the PitBossing.

YHJ

You're one smart cookie, you know that?  Mmmm....cookies.

philagothon

Thanks everyone for the outpouring of generosity :bow:

I am signed up and rifle info is sent.  I will be bringing and plan to shoot my Mosin.  If it proves to be too much to handle and someone has a spare rifle and ammo I will gladly reimburse them.  I will also see what I can do to get out of working Saturday so I can be there for the entire weekend.  I am happy to help in any way that I can (I'm good for grunt work).

This will be my first time ever shooting KD.  I will do my best to look :cool2:, but on the inside I'll be   ^:)^  :sos:  ^:)^  :))  ^:)^  %)  ^:)^

I'll try to make it out to Chilidog's this weekend, but no promises due to work schedule.

Brown

I dont have to shoot the whole time. I can line Boss some .

Quote from: yellowhousejake on July 26, 2012, 08:49:30 AM

YHJ

mj52

I've watched this thread with a great deal of jealousy.

I guess you won't be thirsty.
There'll be some hootin and hollerin
Maybe some good natured ribbing amongst like souls

Work hard, play hard. MJ52

Edheler

I am still planning on raiding all the way across Ohio from Pennsylvania! Hopefully I can sort out a good zero at the Gibsonburg, Ohio KD this weekend. :)

grunt soldier

I'm still sad I can't make this :(   hope you guys have a blast.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

DaveD

I want soooooooo much to be there,    :(    but too many other irons in the fire.  I know you will have a great weekend

DD
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson