News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor KD weekend, August 4-5 2012, Atterbury JMTC

Started by yellowhousejake, June 25, 2012, 10:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

my new rear sights are supposed to be arriving tomorrow! guess its time to head to the range tomorrow night and get some sighters in.
Quote from: ATM on August 14, 2012, 11:37:57 AM
It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

Chilidog

No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

Slow2Speak

Quote from: SPQR on July 09, 2012, 10:40:22 AM
In like Flint.

everybody bring some .308 and expect the unveiling of The Kang!
this one guy said he was gonna send me to atterbury with some stuff labeled "LONG RANGE" for the Kang for you to try out. When is the shakedown at chilis going to be

tater

If you have a standard front sight a frame that isn't stamped with an F, your front sight post will be too low and run out of threads on a flat top. I have an extended post and I'll bring it to chilidog's tune up shoot. Maybe that will take care of your sight issue.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Slow2Speak

Quote from: tater on July 22, 2012, 11:33:08 PM
If you have a standard front sight a frame that isn't stamped with an F, your front sight post will be too low and run out of threads on a flat top. I have an extended post and I'll bring it to chilidog's tune up shoot. Maybe that will take care of your sight issue.
I think I Got some where today started zeroed at 25 meters got out to 400 Yards still had bout 15 clicks left either way but yeah see you at chilidogs gom session

yellowhousejake

We got thirteen instructors signed up on Eventbright and not nearly that many have provided the required info to attend.

Don't forget, item seven below is mandatory!

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=30308.msg229403#msg229403

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Chilidog

Bedford Contingent will have an Atterbury prep shoot to verify target zero and give out pointers on Saturday 7AM-9AM
No cost.
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

Mudcat

I would also recommend while at the 25m and on a 5 square do a box drill so you can learn the actual MOA per click for your rifle. This is some very valuable info to have and very easy to get in a setting like that. Especially the AR guys as there are so many different configurations that can be on the same AR.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

SPQR

Shut up Mudcat you're ruining our surprise COF!   ;D
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

techres

Quote from: SPQR on July 23, 2012, 05:52:11 PM
Shut up Mudcat you're ruining our surprise COF!   ;D

Oh, man, someones gonna get a dial spun when no one is looking...    :-\
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

slim

SPQR

Fashion of the day in the Bedford area reads "Posse Material".  We're just trying to help.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

JV

cant wait for this event. where do i need to send rifle info off to for this. just read the thread twice, if i missed it, i am sorry.

edit: i understand the whole cold range and being at a military installation, do we need to provide the info on our edc that is going to be left our vehicles as well?
It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

ATM

Quote from: JV on July 24, 2012, 03:07:47 AM
cant wait for this event. where do i need to send rifle info off to for this. just read the thread twice, if i missed it, i am sorry.

Right here:

Quote from: yellowhousejake on July 13, 2012, 08:43:44 PM
7 - Sign Up - YOU MUST HAVE SENT YOUR INFORMATION(name, address as appears on your ID, rifles and their serial numbers.) TO Yellowhousejake and Bill 3 PRIOR TO July 29th. To be safe also email your information to in@appleseedinfo.org

Quoteedit: i understand the whole cold range and being at a military installation, do we need to provide the info on our edc that is going to be left our vehicles as well?

Not allowed to even have your EDC in your vehicle on base. Rifles only.

Quote from: yellowhousejake on July 13, 2012, 08:43:44 PM
2 - Camp Atterbury firearms policy - No firearms. An exception is made for civilians for the firearms to be used on the range for an event.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

techres

No EDC.  Roger.
But we can have the serialized rifle locked and loaded in the front seat when we get to the guard shack, right?

Or do they prefer it in an "Appleseed Safe" condition?

:cool2:

SPQR

If you are like me, and your everyday carry is a rifle, you can bring it, just send in the serial.  If its a pistol, leave it at home.  You're bringing a rifle anyway.

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

techres

In all seriousness, do you advise bringing a backup rifle or just run with the best you have?

yellowhousejake

Quote from: techres on July 24, 2012, 12:38:32 PM
In all seriousness, do you advise bringing a backup rifle or just run with the best you have?

I my honest opinion, if your rifle cannot run 250 rounds without a failure, sell it and buy a real rifle. This is my advice to those who insist on a spare rifle being needed.

If however this may be your one chance to shoot KD for the next year, and you do not want to go home for a failed extractor etc, then sure, bring a second rifle.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

techres

Quote from: yellowhousejake on July 24, 2012, 01:03:31 PM
I my honest opinion, if your rifle cannot run 250 rounds without a failure, sell it and buy a real rifle. This is my advice to those who insist on a spare rifle being needed.

If however this may be your one chance to shoot KD for the next year, and you do not want to go home for a failed extractor etc, then sure, bring a second rifle.

YHJ

Rifle has not failed yet in the last 5 years, so...

Will see you there.

slim

Quote from: yellowhousejake on July 24, 2012, 01:03:31 PMI my honest opinion, if your rifle cannot run 250 rounds without a failure, sell it and buy a real rifle.
Huzzah!

techres

Quote from: slim on July 24, 2012, 09:16:32 PM
Huzzah!

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I've never had a fail in 3500 rounds of the AR, but the boyscout in me says "bring an extra extractor & spings - just in case"...

It's not like I am bringing my AK.

;D

Bill 3

Been getting dribs and drabs for info on people and rifles. 

There will be a final call Friday morning for info. 

Those on the instructor schedule will receive a PM. Those signed up through eventbrite will receive an email.  Please check to be sure that all info requested at that time is sent to myself and to in@appleseedinfo.org.  The info requested may include additional items.  Specifically DOB that has been missing from the info coming in thus far.  Please wait and send(resend) all info in entirety.  I promise no age jokes... :-X

Looks to be a fantastic event!!

- WRWIII
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

AuntieBellum

Quote from: Bill 3 on July 24, 2012, 11:05:21 PM

- WRWIII

Soooo...deadline is no longer the 29th?  Just asking for the sake of clarification.  I gave someone until Saturday to work out details for a loaner, hence why I haven't yet sent in my info.  If I need to him down, like, now, I can work on that.

AB
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Brown

Out of Town until Thursday evening so should be able to get all info for both rifles by late Thursday night sent to Bill3 and YHJ
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

Bill 3

PM incoming.

Quote from: AuntieBellum on July 24, 2012, 11:22:15 PM
Quote from: Bill 3 on July 24, 2012, 11:05:21 PM

- WRWIII

Soooo...deadline is no longer the 29th?  Just asking for the sake of clarification.  I gave someone until Saturday to work out details for a loaner, hence why I haven't yet sent in my info.  If I need to him down, like, now, I can work on that.

AB
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

JV

just sent my info in, twice.  forgot dob on first attempt.
i will be bringing the ar and the m1, looking forward to getting some trigger time in this weekend to confirm the information i got last weekend.

philagothon

A little embarrassed  :-[, but not too proud to ask...

I would love to come to Atterbury, but I have a couple things holding me back.
1. Time
2. Rifle

Time - Is it feasible to come out for Sunday only? I'm working sixty-eight hour weeks right now and I doubt I'll be able to make it out for Saturday. I don't want to drag everyone else down on Sunday because I missed out on Saturday.  I would rather stay home than hold the rest of you back.  There is a very slim chance that I could make it out for the whole weekend, but it's not impossible.  If Saturday attendance is mandatory to shoot on Sunday, can I come out Sunday just to watch and learn?

Rifle - I only have one rifle that is capable of reaching out to 400 yards, a Mosin Nagant 91/59 carbine.  My highest round count for a day with it is well south of 100. I honestly don't know if I can handle multiple AQTs behind that steel butt-plate, but I'm willing to try.  It's also slow; slow to cycle and slow to reload.  The sights and adjustments are crude  &).  The good news is that ammo is cheap and it's MY rifle.  I can buy a can of ammo and head to the range this weekend to line it out.  I've had a couple offers for loaners (thanks UD & AB); but I can't afford to feed Uncle Davey's M1 and AuntieBellum is too far away for me to have a chance to familiarize myself with her rifles beforehand.  I'm not above using a loaner, but it would need to be cheap to feed (I can get 300 rounds on chargers for the Mosin for $80) and close enough that I could meet you at a range this weekend to familiarize myself with it.

I would love to be a part of the KD weekend.  I've done very little shooting beyond 100 yards and have a lot to learn.  I think it will help me to be a better instructor.  But, dragging everyone else down for my sake is no fun.

Well, it's nearly 5:00 AM.  My alarm is going off in four hours to start another day.  Let me know if I should bother signing up, and don't be afraid of hurting my feelings if you feel I'll be too much of a drag; Appleseed is more important than me and my desire to come play too.

JV

philagothon:
where are you from? how close to indy are you? i have an ar i am bringing both days, if we get into opposite groups, i can let you use it. if you are close to indy, we can meet up and get a little trigger time in if you would like this weekend.
JV

techres

SPQR/YHJ/Bill 3 have to answer the question about sunday only.

However, if you are looking for a spare rifle, PM Slim.  He has a Colt A2 AR that he loans out all the time so long as you provide or pay for ammo.  I think everyone in the program has shot that thing at some point in time and it does shoot pretty nice - even with the foreweight removed.

Give him a buzz.

SPQR

Dude, bring the Mosin.  That would be awesome.  Your ammo will be fairly cheap.

Lets all remember, we don't always shoot an AQT just for the Rifleman's score, we do it fer the learning.

"Indiana rules!" - Nero