News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor KD weekend, August 4-5 2012, Atterbury JMTC

Started by yellowhousejake, June 25, 2012, 10:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

i thought picking up an m1 was a requirement for getting your orange hat?
Quote from: ATM on August 14, 2012, 11:37:57 AM
It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

philagothon

Quote from: JV on August 01, 2012, 02:16:09 PM
i thought picking up an m1 was a requirement for getting your orange hat?

As I understand it, the M1 is merely a "suggestion" &)  for orange hats. I think it's a requirement for the Instructor PC.

techres

That was only added after they came out with the gear needed to make the M1 modern, up-to-date, and EBR ready:

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

philagothon

I think I just threw up a little. A pistol grip on a Mosin is one thing, but that's sacrilege!

AuntieBellum

Oh, it's gonna be tough to keep everyone on task this weekend, isn't it?   ~~:)

Who's coming in Friday night?  I know that YHJ and Rimshot and I will be there at 1800.  The more hands to help set up target stands, the faster the work goes.   O0
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Edheler

Quote from: AuntieBellum on August 01, 2012, 05:02:48 PM
Who's coming in Friday night?

I will be in Friday night, but since it's about a 7 hour drive I don't want to commit on a time.

yellowhousejake

Techres starts out in the pits Saturday morning...

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

techres

That's the first time I have been picked first for anything...

YAY!!!

Quote from: yellowhousejake on August 01, 2012, 06:04:06 PM
Techres starts out in the pits Saturday morning...

YHJ

techres

I meant to say:

Eyes gazing to the skies, the bearded one looked at the cloudless blue rectangle visible from deep within the concrete trench now his home.  With a stern nod, he turns back to his work of paper and steel, knowing that soon, far too soon, daggers of lead would race overhead ripping and tearing in their race to individual destinies.

Sweat dripping from old, salted hair, his thoughts were with those would would soon be on the land above, marching, dropping, firing, and pinning their hopes and dreams on the skills they learned so quickly yet so well.  "Remember your training.  It will save you..." he muttered, half memory, half prayer for those who would soon be fumbling for their future with hot steel, sweaty limbs, shaky hands, and eyes hard to see the grey figures emerging from the trenches arrayed against them.

There, the yell!  The shot fired and with it a volley!  The invisible chariots of speed breaking free of their confinement in steel and sound, race ahead with a crack each as if to nod like so many soldiers on parade, but with a sinister smirk in departure - their mark left in space a hole to be marked by the white puff of victory, or the dark black of failure.

Screams, yells, and the sudden din of silence brings the sounds of silence.  And from that silence comes merely the heavy breath of labor, of the old midwifes of the underworld birthing riflemen into daylight and thrusting them up and out all with the hopes that some day, they too, will breathe air full of cordite and the damp smells of victory.

But for now, the lot remains.  Tomorrows will have future enough.  Today is today, and in the pit there is work to do...

Edheler

So, the link about the shoot has the coordinates of the gate. Does anyone have the coordinates of the range so I drive to the right place once on the base?

Edit: Nevermind, just re-read the instructions. :-[

techres

NWIeng

I'll see everyone bright and early Saturday morning.

JV

Going to pick a few last minute provisions and see you guys tonight
It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

mj52

There were more replies on this thread than on Kim Kadashian's ill-fated marriage. I won't believe it unless there are pictures

AuntieBellum

So....you think they'll let me on base with a temporary id from the bmv?
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

philagothon

:'( :'( :'(

I'm not going to be able to make it. Life keeps getting in the way. It's been a rough year. Hopefully we'll be able to get back on the trail soon.  We love our Appleseed weekends and our Appleseed family. Have a great and safe shoot!

-Kevin

brianheeter

Just got home from the "Coordination" meeting at Camp Atterbury.  We are good to go on Range 5 from 6 p.m. today (Friday) to 6 p.m. Sunday.

Weather forecast includes possibility for storms.  Be prepared.

Central Indiana High Power will be on Range 3 but not sending a lot of rounds downrange.  They will be out to 1000 yards.  Mmmmm....

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

yellowhousejake

Kevin's out, AB got no ID (We all know who you are...), I barely got the lesson plans printed up, storms on the way.

Rough seas but no turning back. We are gonna learn some stuff, become better marksmen, become better instructors, it's gonna be fun.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

techres

See you all in the morning! 

It is gonna be a ball.

Oh, and slim, since you are shooting steel cased ammo, I have a spare extractor for you just in case....    >:D  **)

[don't blame me, it was too easy a jab to pass up]

slim

Just got the mohawk  -:) trimmed up, assembling kit, packing provisions, game planning and I'm hydrating right now.

I'll see you folks bright and early. And no, we don't need no stinkin extractors!

yellowhousejake

Quote from: brianheeter on August 03, 2012, 04:34:47 PM
Just got home from the "Coordination" meeting at Camp Atterbury. 

Huzza to BH, his attending the meeting for me was a huge hurdle we had to overcome. Trucks loaded and I'm leaving shortly, AB and RS are on the road now.

YHJ

YHJ

JV

Was a great weekend. Learned a ton. Met a lit of really cool people and got to put some faces with forum names. Weather was nice except for couple of storms. Found out that machine gun fire is actually very relaxing when going to sleep. Thank you everyone for a great weekes. Was awesome getting to know everyone.

brianheeter

Thanks to everybody who had a hand in making this weekend a success, especially YHJ.  I'm only partway through reading the handout and I'm picking up a lot more than I absorbed on Saturday.  I regret not being able to attend on Sunday.  Great material that I would have liked to put into practice a bit more.

Like JV said, it was nice to meet some people who I only knew on the forum by their screen names, some of them from Indiana!  Edheler, however, travelling from Pennsylvania!  Impressive.

That was fun.  Even the sideways rain was kind of amusing.  Let's do it again sometime.

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

SPQR

"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Edheler

I am home safe and will post a longer message tomorrow. If I had to choose a single word to describe the weekend I would have to agree with SPQR!

techres

1. Epic?  YOU BET!  And I have a ton of pictures and video to post up as soon as the AAR thread is opened. 

2. We learned some amazing lessons both in KD and in how to do this kind of KD event.  I am making my mental list for the IAAR and everyone else should as well before sharp memories dull with passing hours.

3. That was fun.  I hurt all over now kind of fun.  Awesome...

Thanks to all of you for coming and especially for our new faces and border raiders, you guys were the best!

Techres

Oh, will post one pic before the AAR goes up:

GoldFish

Quote from: techres on August 06, 2012, 10:24:56 AM
Oh, will post one pic before the AAR goes up:

The shooter peers under his Oakley's through a pair of binocs to see what damage his 4MOA fire has accomplished, his AR15 (in 5.56, NOT a .308 or any other .30 cal!) and 30-round magazine loaded with steel-cased ammo lie near by.  Oh, and of course, none of this can go without being accompanied by the ever-present "HUZZA!!!" that I guarantee you he is saying, or at least thinking, in this picture.  There's only one tactical operator fitting the description above that also has a squirrel tail his head.  Oh, what's that?  It's not a squirrel tail?  Oh, got it, it's the mowhawk.  Not a mowhawk, the mowhawk. -:)

Wish I could have been there...

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

JV

my shoulder is killing me, was not tight enough to my rifle, need to work on my positions. from all the the information i have, and a nice convo with AB, i very much think i may be pushing into the rifle to try to mitigate felt recoil causing my shots to fall low. i got some great information this weekend, both for my rifle and technique.

overall, my feelings today, after all of this has settled in: i agree with spqr, epic is the only word to describe this past weekend. my whole body is sore, i need to get back into the gym.
i need to work on my positions with my m1 and work on not anticipating the recoil, this is not an issue with my ar or my .22lr. a sore shoulder only made it worse on sunday.
i know quite a bit. i still have a ton to learn. appleseed has a great group of instructors, and as i help teach heritage and marksmanship to anyone willing to listen, i will continue to learn from those that have come before me.
hats off to everyone who made this weekend possible.
HUZZAH!
JV