News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

indy 1500, Jan 2011

Started by yellowhousejake, January 01, 2011, 02:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

The check has been sent, i was unable to secure a free table at the 1500, and time is running out. We will be at the 1500 on January 14, 15, 16 and I need to know who can be there to man the table. The hours are no longer listed on the website, does anyone remember the last shows hours?

I should receive the exhibitor info within two weeks and we will know for certain then. I asked for four badges as any more would make a single table far too crowded.

I will deliver the banner and fliers Friday afternoon, and pick them up Sunday evening. I'll wait and see what hours cannot be worked, and then take those hours.

I can supply a 10-22, but I have no Garand for display, one is needed.

It would also be nice to have video playing, I am working on that now.

Post the hours you can work so we can all plan our weekend.

YHJ

PS. NOTE, if you are planning to work, please check the show rules here http://www.indy1500.com/images/rules.pdf
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AuntieBellum

Show Hours:
Friday 2-8
Saturday 8-6
Sunday 9-4

I am available all day Saturday.

I can bring a Garand for Saturday (Rimshot will be asleep - won't even know I took it  ;D).

And I can bring my laptop Saturday to play video.

I will, though, need some company.  I have a shopping list to take care of, too.   :---

Edit:  I just read the rules  I'm very confused as those are not what I've seen in action.  Perhaps they are out of date, since the date listed is from 2002? 
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

yellowhousejake

Quote from: AuntieBellum on January 01, 2011, 02:55:07 PM
Show Hours:
Friday 2-8
Saturday 8-6
Sunday 9-4

I can bring a Garand for Saturday (Rimshot will be asleep - won't even know I took it  ;D).

I will, though, need some company.  I have a shopping list to take care of, too.   :---

Edit:  I just read the rules  I'm very confused as those are not what I've seen in action.  Perhaps they are out of date, since the date listed is from 2002? 

Fat chance they will return your call or even answer the phone to ask about the rules. I've left multiple voice mails with the number listed on the registration form, since December.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AuntieBellum

Quote from: yellowhousejake on January 01, 2011, 03:26:55 PM
Quote from: AuntieBellum on January 01, 2011, 02:55:07 PM
Show Hours:
Friday 2-8
Saturday 8-6
Sunday 9-4

Fat chance they will return your call or even answer the phone to ask about the rules. I've left multiple voice mails with the number listed on the registration form, since December.

YHJ

No worries.  I'll come prepared to comply and just do what everyone else does.   ;)

ATM

Show hours are here: http://www.indy1500.com/index2.htm

Fridays         -     2:00 PM  to  8:00 PM

Saturdays     -     8:00 AM  to  6:00 PM

Sundays       -     9:00 AM  to  4:00 PM

I'm available for Friday and have a 10/22 LTR and a Garand.

My only problem is being incredibly shy.   ;)
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

yellowhousejake

Quote from: ATM on January 01, 2011, 04:38:28 PM
Show hours are here: http://www.indy1500.com/index2.htm

Fridays         -     2:00 PM  to  8:00 PM

Saturdays     -     8:00 AM  to  6:00 PM

Sundays       -     9:00 AM  to  4:00 PM

I'm available for Friday and have a 10/22 LTR and a Garand.

My only problem is being incredibly shy.   ;)

I promise you, I really did look for that info. Honest.

YHJ

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Just in case anyone is wondering. The invitation to man the table is to all Indiana Staff, not just instructors. IITs, AppleCore, etc are all able to work the table.

YHJ

YHJ

Chilidog

Chilidog, Loctite, Bomber Rod, and Donny Wright (we havent got him a good call name yet) will help on Saturday all day. between the 5 of us we can shop and wook the table no problem.
Chilidog
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

AuntieBellum

Quote from: chilidog on January 01, 2011, 08:42:41 PM
Chilidog, Loctite, Bomber Rod, and Donny Wright (we havent got him a good call name yet) will help on Saturday all day. between the 5 of us we can shop and wook the table no problem.
Chilidog

I <3 AppleCore.  You guys rock!    ^:)^

Chilidog

That's the BEDFORD CONTINGENT way. GET-R-Done!
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

hawkhavn

Start practicing your elevator speeches now, have 'em down pat.
Know how to stay on mission and message.
Think in advance how you will handle the ones with the tin foil on too tight.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

ATM

Any more specific tips from the folks who have staffed a table before?

I'm a n00b at this and normally get by on my manly good looks alone.  ++)
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

TBE

I can work the table all day Sunday.  I'll see if I can get SPQR to come along. 
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

hawkhavn

If SPQR is tied up I can probably get Sunday free and we can go up togeher.
Have a M-1 and LTR for the table.

HH

Quote from: TBE on January 02, 2011, 06:01:46 PM
I can work the table all day Sunday.  I'll see if I can get SPQR to come along.  

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

yellowhousejake

Quote from: hawkhavn on January 02, 2011, 06:19:00 PM
If SPQR is tied up I can probably get Sunday free and we can go up togeher.
Have a M-1 and LTR for the table.

HH

Quote from: TBE on January 02, 2011, 06:01:46 PM
I can work the table all day Sunday.  I'll see if I can get SPQR to come along.  

That would make getting your show materials back easier. I need to go through the box and see what we need printed. I am thinking at least the following.

National trifolds
Winterseed flyers (SPQR?)
Military flyers (SPQR?)
A BIG Winterseed flyer 11x14 or more (I can see about that here locally)
Laminated AQT and RedCoat
    (I'll get those made, I want them for my shootbox.)
Another board had a good idea of taking a before and after Redcoat.
    (I happen to have Niecie's which are very dramatic.)

Do we want tear offs for the restrooms again?
College flyers? (Techres-SQPR, any headway on that idea?)

YHJ

YHJ

hawkhavn

No problem, but they are the state's materials now and it makes more sense for them to be near Indy.
I still have some National tri-folds if the new ones are not out yet.
Also, have several hundred LTR flyers to send along.
I'll see if there is anything else to bring up.

HH

p.s. The banner poles are painted in Krylon 'Patriot Blue' when they need touched up.

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

SPQR

I can make the Sunday 1500 but that should not exclude Hawk unless he happens to be one of those folks who just doesn't like me (I debate it, but TBE says there are people in this world who don't think I am awesome). #)

I will do what I can but my access to printing is severely limited. (I had to leave my job because IU does not allow you to work while you do your student teaching)

I will redouble my efforts to finish up some text for college fliers and send it to techres
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

AuntieBellum

YHJ - I like the tear-offs.  I *hear* they worked well in the men's restrooms.  I can confirm, though, that they weren't super popular in the women's restroom, but maybe they took a second look when they walked past the table?

Everyone:
Tips:  I've only worked one gun show, but I've worked A LOT of college fair tables.  So, here are my general tips for working a table:

1. Stand up and look excited.  If you look bored, they assume what you're "selling" is boring.  Wear your shirts, wear your hats - look nice.  A uniform draws attention.

2. Don't have too many things to look at.  There's a limit to what the human eye can take in all at once.  Make sure your piles are neat and tidy, and try to arrange the table so it's symmetrical and pleasing to the eye.  Make sure the outside corners get the "all in one" type brochures so anyone is who is a little shy and doesn't want to walk directly up to talk to you can grab a brochure and get all the info they need in one shot.

3. Draw people in - Say hello.  Make eye contact - they'll be more likely to at least slow-down, if not stop and give you an opportunity to ask if they've been to an Appleseed.

4. Ask questions.  If the wife looks bored, ask what she likes to shoot to draw her in.  Start with the kids and work to the parents - if the kids stop, the parents WILL stop - unless they planned on losing them at the 1500!  With each question, move the conversation forward.  It's like a choose-your-own-adventure book (don't tell me I'm the only one who read those) or a flow chart: the answer always ends in "come to an Appleseed," but find something to connect with.  Busy?  One-days!  Not enough rifles: We have loaners!  Too much money?  Mention all the groups who get a discount - women, children, LEO, military, etc.  They already know how to shoot?  Prove it, and then become an instructor!

5. There will always be someone who wants to talk about something completely un-related.  Ignore what they're talking about and just keep talking about Appleseed.  They'll eventually figure out that you're not budging and either join your conversation or leave.  If they become completely inappropriate, it's okay to tell them that the conversation is over and move to talk to someone else.  Yes, you might think it would look bad for us, but wouldn't it look much, much worse if you're pulled into a conversation that isn't related to our mission?

hawkhavn

On printing, YHJ, why don't you get a quote from your area and send me a copy.
I'll get a quote from my local printer and we'll see which is the best deal including shipping?

SPQR and TBE, if you can tolerate a ride along, that would be great. 

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

TBE

You can ride with us HH.  Wow, I'll have to clean out my explorer enough to fit three people. 
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

hawkhavn

We can take my jeep if you want.
It's already (mostly) cleaned out...

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

yellowhousejake

Looks like the Bedford Contingent +AB has Saturday covered with the Bloomfield Boys attacking Sunday. Let me see about getting off work early Friday, I could take Daniel and Niecie and get everything setup.

YHJ

YHJ

TBE

HH, I can drive no problem.  I like to clean out the explorer on odd numbered years anyway.  Maybe I'll find some neat stuff!

Chilidog

What time do we need to show up Saturday and how do we get in and avoid the huge massive line?
Chilidog

Bill 3

Give me estimated qty's on the items you want printed.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

hawkhavn

Chilidog,

Doors open at 8 SAT morning, plan on getting there around 7:30 or a little earlier.
Depending on which building it's in, just watch for dealers walking in and follow them.
Your badges will be at the RWVA table, check in here FRI night for table location.
Please leave your badges at the table forus to use SUN.

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

stschil

I may be free that weekend and would be glad to help on any day needed, though nothing set in stone yet.
"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

yellowhousejake

Quote from: chilidog on January 03, 2011, 12:44:07 PM
What time do we need to show up Saturday and how do we get in and avoid the huge massive line?
Chilidog

What Hawk said  ;D

AB will bring rifles, you will just need smiling faces and boundless enthusiasm. I'll full instructions Friday night when i get home.

YHJ

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Quote from: Bill 3 on January 03, 2011, 06:01:36 PM
Give me estimated qty's on the items you want printed.

I am out of National Tri-Folds, the cupboard is bare.

We have plenty of Women's, SWAT and Saving America.

We will need Winterseed flyers and Winterseed tear offs. I need to update the Winterseed to show Dave's new shoot on the 29th. I will get the tear offs ready in the next two days.

We need the military flyers. I don't know where the PDFs of those are located. Someone send me one and I will add it to our promo materials.

Some of these might be nice.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12252.0;attach=35035

How do we get them down here from Crown Point? I got nuthin' short of 22 cents a copy locally.

YHJ

YHJ

Bobcat Steel

I'll have to make a better effort to swing by and say howdy this show....hopefully I will be able to get away from my table a bit more than the last two shows.