News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

indy 1500, Jan 2011

Started by yellowhousejake, January 01, 2011, 02:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Quote from: Bobcat Steel on January 04, 2011, 12:29:57 AM
I'll have to make a better effort to swing by and say howdy this show....hopefully I will be able to get away from my table a bit more than the last two shows.

Looking forward to meeting you, we've been giving several of your steel plates a workout the past few months. If anyone asks if your steel holds up, send them our way, we will make a believer out of them.

Throw an Appleseed steel on the table and I'll give you a stack of flyers to lay next to it. You been to a Appleseed yet?

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Bobcat Steel

Quote from: yellowhousejake on January 04, 2011, 12:34:46 AM
Quote from: Bobcat Steel on January 04, 2011, 12:29:57 AM
I'll have to make a better effort to swing by and say howdy this show....hopefully I will be able to get away from my table a bit more than the last two shows.

Looking forward to meeting you, we've been giving several of your steel plates a workout the past few months. If anyone asks if your steel holds up, send them our way, we will make a believer out of them.

Throw an Appleseed steel on the table and I'll give you a stack of flyers to lay next to it. You been to a Appleseed yet?

YHJ

I will have a TBE's D-target from the group buy with me, and plan on cutting some more of the Stage 1 AQTs as well, so I would be happy to do something with the flyers.

I am ashamed to admit that I have not been to an event yet....Between the two jobs, a wife, and a 2 year old....I don't get to play as often as I would like.

AuntieBellum

How quickly can we get everything printed? If we can get them done by this Friday (a stretch, I'm sure), Rimshot or I can pick them up Friday and I can bring them to MCFG on Sat.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

yellowhousejake

AB you are amazing! That is all excellent information, most of which I would have never thought of.

Thank you!

YHJ

Quote from: AuntieBellum on January 02, 2011, 09:34:21 PM
YHJ - I like the tear-offs.  I *hear* they worked well in the men's restrooms.  I can confirm, though, that they weren't super popular in the women's restroom, but maybe they took a second look when they walked past the table?

Everyone:
Tips:  I've only worked one gun show, but I've worked A LOT of college fair tables.  So, here are my general tips for working a table:

1. Stand up and look excited.  If you look bored, they assume what you're "selling" is boring.  Wear your shirts, wear your hats - look nice.  A uniform draws attention.

2. Don't have too many things to look at.  There's a limit to what the human eye can take in all at once.  Make sure your piles are neat and tidy, and try to arrange the table so it's symmetrical and pleasing to the eye.  Make sure the outside corners get the "all in one" type brochures so anyone is who is a little shy and doesn't want to walk directly up to talk to you can grab a brochure and get all the info they need in one shot.

3. Draw people in - Say hello.  Make eye contact - they'll be more likely to at least slow-down, if not stop and give you an opportunity to ask if they've been to an Appleseed.

4. Ask questions.  If the wife looks bored, ask what she likes to shoot to draw her in.  Start with the kids and work to the parents - if the kids stop, the parents WILL stop - unless they planned on losing them at the 1500!  With each question, move the conversation forward.  It's like a choose-your-own-adventure book (don't tell me I'm the only one who read those) or a flow chart: the answer always ends in "come to an Appleseed," but find something to connect with.  Busy?  One-days!  Not enough rifles: We have loaners!  Too much money?  Mention all the groups who get a discount - women, children, LEO, military, etc.  They already know how to shoot?  Prove it, and then become an instructor!

5. There will always be someone who wants to talk about something completely un-related.  Ignore what they're talking about and just keep talking about Appleseed.  They'll eventually figure out that you're not budging and either join your conversation or leave.  If they become completely inappropriate, it's okay to tell them that the conversation is over and move to talk to someone else.  Yes, you might think it would look bad for us, but wouldn't it look much, much worse if you're pulled into a conversation that isn't related to our mission?
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

stschil

Quote from: ATM on January 01, 2011, 04:38:28 PM
I'm available for Friday and have a 10/22 LTR and a Garand.

My only problem is being incredibly shy.   ;)

Ahh,,,,just tie some bacon around your neck and people will flock to you! :bacondance:
"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

yellowhousejake

Bill,

We just need Winterseed flyers printed. I will get the tearoffs printed here, I have CMP catalogs, Hawk is getting me trifolds. We got plenty of everything else.

YHJ

YHJ

Bill 3

I'll print 'em tomorrow morning...  How many you want...?
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

hawkhavn

Tri-folds went out this morning, you should have them Monday.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

yellowhousejake

Quote from: hawkhavn on January 08, 2011, 02:24:11 PM
Tri-folds went out this morning, you should have them Monday.

HH

AB brought Bill's fliers, I got a AQT and a Red Coat laminated professionally to hang up. They work great on the line explaining the COF as well! I have Denise's Red Coats from her first Appleseed to get mounted and laminated tomorrow. I just need to get the tear sheets printed now.

YHJ

YHJ

yellowhousejake

New Winterseed flyer and tear sheet flyer done and posted in promo thread for download. I have tearsheets printed and ready for the 1500.

YHJ

YHJ

yellowhousejake

National Tri-folds arrived today, Exhibitor packet arrived today.

YHJ

YHJ

hawkhavn

Are these the 'new' national tri-folds?
Pricing updated?

Quote from: yellowhousejake on January 10, 2011, 06:18:24 PM

YHJ

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

yellowhousejake

Quote from: hawkhavn on January 10, 2011, 09:23:20 PM
Are these the 'new' national tri-folds?
Pricing updated?

Quote from: yellowhousejake on January 10, 2011, 06:18:24 PM

YHJ

They are whatver you sent me, I didn't look.

YHJ

YHJ

hawkhavn

OK, they're the old ones then.

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

yellowhousejake

All,

I will be setting up and checking us in at 1pm Friday, staying until 8pm. My son will be with me. I will leave everything under the table in Hawk's green box. We get two passes, only two. You can get in if you arrive before the doors open and tell them you are working the Appleseed table and the passes are there. Always worked in the past. If you need to leave to get something from a car don't forget to take one of the passes with you so you can get back in.

Saturday is Chilidog, Auntibellum, Rod, and Locktite. Be there before 8am to get in as an exhibitor. There will be three new shiny Blue Hats under the table for you guys. Sorry for the long wait but we are still waiting on hats from National so I got this batch done at the mall as well. Remember no carry for exhibitors, I would just leave them in the car if it were me. Don't forget to stop and get your rifles tied at the door, though I think Amy is bringing the display rifles.

Sunday is Hawk and TBE, anyone else? You guys already know the drill.

Anything else, call me.

YHJ

YHJ

ATM

I'll see you around 1:00 tomorrow and still plan to bring my LTR and Garand for the day.
Give me a call if you think of anything else I need to bring.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

SPQR

I am making the Sunday run, too.  I am putting pressure on HQ for snacks
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

yellowhousejake

Quote from: ATM on January 13, 2011, 10:50:17 PM
I'll see you around 1:00 tomorrow and still plan to bring my LTR and Garand for the day.
Give me a call if you think of anything else I need to bring.

Yea! I got no Garand for display pretties.

YHJ

YHJ

Chilidog

Haazaah! We will be there to claim our hats and do our duty!

1st Chilidog, Earl of Bedford Contingent, Blue of Hat.
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

yellowhousejake

It was BUSY! We had a far bigger crowd than I expected, many vendors agreed stating it was more like Saturday afternoon. So do not be surprised if you guys get hammered tomorrow.

The big topic tonight, "when will Appleseed be at Fall Creek Valley". Well Bobby, when the membership asks us to be there. The board has been presented to and likes the program, but is unwilling to shift the schedule in order to fit us into the calendar. Go to the club meetings, be vocal, we will come when the calendar presents itself.

Hat, badges, all is under the table in hawk's box. The table is located in the north east corner of the south pavilion. Easy to find, we left the banner up.

YHJ

YHJ

hawkhavn

We have all been hammered on the anvil of the AQT!

This is a walk in the park----with JUMBO tenderloins and elephant ears!   ;D

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

AuntieBellum

We're out of stuff! Well, okay, not completely. Ran out of winterseed fliers but we've sent Bomber and Locktite to find a kinkos to make copies. Will likely be out if tri-folds in the next 15 minutes or so. Plenty of other hand-outs left for now. Busy, busy!!!

hawkhavn

More help is on the way if you need it!
Great problem to have!!

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

yellowhousejake

Quote from: AuntieBellum on January 15, 2011, 12:24:42 PM
We're out of stuff! Well, okay, not completely. Ran out of winterseed fliers but we've sent Bomber and Locktite to find a kinkos to make copies. Will likely be out if tri-folds in the next 15 minutes or so. Plenty of other hand-outs left for now. Busy, busy!!!

I'll bring two more color flyers in sheet protectors to hang up. I'm getting another 250 printed in Black and White. Hawk will try to get some printed locally to bring with him tomorrow.

As far as national trifolds, we are plumb out.

YHJ

YHJ

hawkhavn

Our local shops are all closed, so nothing from here.
Sorry.
HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

AuntieBellum

It's ok. We have 1000 copies now!  I think you'll be set for tomorrow - but wear comfy shoes!

hawkhavn

Thanks!  Keep up the great work!

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

SPQR

EVERYBODY GET OUT OF THE WAY!  Indiana is going to get this thing nipped in the bud.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

DaveD

This sounds like one of our better 1500's   :D
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Bill 3

Note to self - multiply all material requests by 8  - good problem to have...!
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?