News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

indy 1500, Jan 2011

Started by yellowhousejake, January 01, 2011, 02:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

Ok, here's the run down of materials remaining:
CMP catalogs - out
Tri-folds - out
Bi-fold aticles - very, very few left
Ltr hand-outs - likely enough for tomorrow to hand out when asked specifics.
Women fliers-very few remaining
Military handouts - slightly more than very few remaining.
Winterseed fliers - many. You'll be fine with those after the emergency reprint. I thought 1000 might be overkill...but now I'm curious to see how many you're left with tomorrow. ;)
Have fun!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

stschil

It was great seeing AB, and the Bedford Contingent at the 1500 today!! ^:)^

It was packed like sardines there all morning.   Can't tell you how many times I was asked if I wanted to sell my XD(m).  No, ATM, I didn't do it.  **)

Did quite a bit of 7th stepping (though unofficially) while I was in the crowd.  I sure hope some of the people I pointed over to the Appleseed Table got there and picked up the info.

Good luck to those working the table tomorrow.    :---
"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

yellowhousejake

You should still have a mass of Dillion and Swat reprints. Do you need me to bring some CMP catalogs out tomorrow Hawk?

YHJ

Quote from: AuntieBellum on January 15, 2011, 07:47:15 PM
Ok, here's the run down of materials remaining:
CMP catalogs - out
Tri-folds - out
Bi-fold aticles - very, very few left
Ltr hand-outs - likely enough for tomorrow to hand out when asked specifics.
Women fliers-very few remaining
Military handouts - slightly more than very few remaining.
Winterseed fliers - many. You'll be fine with those after the emergency reprint. I thought 1000 might be overkill...but now I'm curious to see how many you're left with tomorrow. ;)
Have fun!
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

hawkhavn

I have about 3 inches of CMP catalogs already in the truck along with 30-40 national tri-folds.
Will pack the 10-22 and Garand in a few minutes.
And will double check for any other materials I might have on hand.

Thanks all,
HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

West

Wow, what a show!

I decided to head up there yesterday and I ended up spending more than I expected.  But that's normal, I guess.

The Bedford Contingent really kicked it into overdrive.  I think AB and Chilidog were constantly chatting with passerbys!  Great job guys, we need to make sure you're always there on the busiest days!

Glad to have seen everyone.  I think this one is going to help us out for the coming year!

See you on the trail,

West :))

Chilidog

Its official, Bedford Contingent had  blast at the 1500 yesterday! That was almost as fun at a appleseed shoot! Thank you for letting us work the show!

If your not working one of these shows, as SPQR says...YOUR NUTS! That was a hoot!

Thanks for getting our Blue Hats to us YHJ and thanks to A B for the Applecore Manuals and the instruction for yesterdays show.

Chilidog
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

TBE

Great show today,  lots and lots of people, several very receptive people. 

The only down side was that we had to constantly hear from our neighbors about how great "those people who worked your table saturday" were. 

I guess it's just a lost cause when you're in a popularity contest against Auntie Bellum and the Bedford Contingent. 
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

SPQR

I was really good looking.  It was that way the whole time I was there.  I was just great.

But seriously folks....

It isn't always easy to go out there and pitch your wares to people (particularly at a gun show where a lot of folks are feeling wary) but we need to keep doing this.  We are doing a good thing for good reasons.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

ATM

Belated Friday Report:

Wow... It was AWESOME! The whole thing!  ^:)^

I was not at all ready for it to be finished. I felt mostly contented, yet there still remained a slight longing sadness which filled my being there near the end. :'(

But I did thoroughly enjoy every second of it and the memory still makes me smile even now as I type this.  :)

Man, I'm so glad I picked up that Monsterburger from Hardee's on my way to the show. Mmm...   O0

Oh yeah... after I ate my sammich we set up the display and talked to people and stuff - all day. I saw some guns. That's about it.  ;)
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

hawkhavn

Second everything said, talked with a lot of good folks and passed out a big stack of literature.
We did not qute get through the 1000 copy re-supply but YHJ said he had good homes for the remainder.
Passed along contact info for new ranges to YHJ.

Several (very posititve) comments on the bill boards around Indy.

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

AuntieBellum

Oh, yeah, notes from the day:

Just as HH said, lots of good feedback from the billboards.  One lady I talked with stopped by specifically because of the billboards and was super excited to grab a schedule so she can get signed up.

A gentleman from Kokomo is going to work on getting his 4-H markmanship group up to Rochester sometime.

The lady at the table to our right is thinking about signing her kids up for the February shoot in Indy.

I think I heard a conversation that a woman is coming by herself to the Atlanta shoot at the end of the month since her hubby and son are going to a Boy scout campout that same weekend.  I could be wrong on the date/location - I was more concerned about my lunch at that moment.   :D

I promised a few that we're working on getting dates for NPCCC - we are, right?  Same for Ft. Wayne.  Locations didn't seem to be the problem, though.  In most cases, everyone could find one close enough for their liking.  Talked to a few people from Illinois and pointed them toward some locations close to them.  Danville, Waterman, Ottawa, and Chillicothe were the ones I mentioned.

Someone mentioned trying the range in Lebanon - hence the note on the pad.  Ignore the note about MCFG - that was a reminder for those working the table.  :)  Also talked to the guy with the range in Lafayette.  Do we have his contact info?  YHJ - he said he has yours.

Scutter (? - I think it was Scutter - shorter than me and had facial hair - one of those awkward moments when someone knows who you are but you can't narrow it down to who they might be...but he talked about spasmo coming to a shoot soon, hence my guess and I know spasmo was there) was rockin' an Appleseed shirt at the INGO table.  (If anyone knows for sure who was working the INGO table Sat, let me know so I can rep him for the free shirt!  He also thanked us for changing the pic on the tear-offs - said it was hard to pee while looking at BoR's face at the last show!)  I know it wasn't VUPDBlue or BoR (duh) or spasmo or Pami or Que or Lars...so I'm left with Scutter, esrice, danielocean (who I think hasn't been to a shoot yet but is working on it), and Fenway.  I'm also deleting this paragraph later so the evidence is gone.   ;D

It was hard not to sell Rimshot's M-1 - lots of people were interested.  He gave me a price to work with next time, though, so if anyone wants a service grade for $2,000, I'm allowed to sell it.   :o

And, there were a couple of times that we demonstrated slings when people had questions.  When we did, people flocked to the table.  It was felt a little weird, kinda like being swarmed - but cool that they were so interested.  I'm guessing zoo animals get the same feeling when classes have field trips.  At any rate, people want to know this stuff.  There is definitely still a market out there within the gun crowd - without, too, but this being a gun show, you'd assume they're gun people.  Somehow, though, chilidog found one who wasn't.

And it was great to see so many Appleseed'ers there wearing their gear.  Ran into Ohm's Law and stschil and West, and it was great to meet Sur+Rifle and Debra.  We were well represented, and we have a good name out there.  Chatted with a few vendors about Appleseed when I made the rounds.  One vendor knows to start pulling the slings out when I show up and cut me a deal.   She hopes to make it to one of the shoots in Gibsonburg this summer.  ;D

All in all, great show.  I'm crossing my fingers that we see a real difference in numbers on the line.  I feel like we will.  And the trick to make it through 10 hours straight at a gun show - 2 large coffees on the way there and 4 bottles of mountain dew throughout the day.   :D

slim

I sent a few folks from the Bill Goodman's show here in Cincinnati up your way for next time. "If you guys want to see a REAL gun show...... "

Glad to hear the 1500 is still a fun event to work. Hopefully sometime later this year I'll get back up that way to lend a hand and steal a chair. Keep up the good work guys!  O0

yellowhousejake

Do we have enough people to support paying for a table there in March? March 19 and 20 I will be SB in Rochester, so I'll need some instructor's as well. Can we scrounge folks to work the table that weekend, and work Rochester?

We will need a headcount so we know if the table should be purchased or not.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Quote from: AuntieBellum on January 16, 2011, 11:21:51 PM

I think I heard a conversation that a woman is coming by herself to the Atlanta shoot at the end of the month since her hubby and son are going to a Boy scout campout that same weekend.  I could be wrong on the date/location - I was more concerned about my lunch at that moment.   :D

You heard right, I've had an email conversation with her a week or so ago about attending. Glad to hear she decided to come.

YHJ

YHJ

AuntieBellum

Quote from: yellowhousejake on January 17, 2011, 10:52:41 AM
Do we have enough people to support paying for a table there in March? March 19 and 20 I will be SB in Rochester, so I'll need some instructor's as well. Can we scrounge folks to work the table that weekend, and work Rochester?

We will need a headcount so we know if the table should be purchased or not.

YHJ

I'm already signed up for Rochester that weekend.  Happy to help out where I'm most needed, though, so just let me know.  As usual, I'm not available for the 1500 on Friday, though.

hawkhavn

Folks,

The show staff mentioned yesterday that tables are almost sold out, so we need to know this week whether to send a check or not.

P.S. This show is THE ramp up to the special April shoots!

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

ATM

I am unavailable that whole weekend in March.  :(

Quote from: AuntieBellum on January 16, 2011, 11:21:51 PM
Also talked to the guy with the range in Lafayette.  Do we have his contact info?  YHJ - he said he has yours.

If it's the range we've used before, it must have been Jared, T-bolt on the forum. Hope that opens back up.

QuoteScutter (? - I think it was Scutter -

Had to be. I know he was there Friday.

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Chilidog

I am booked up that weekend too! I will send out a tx to the B C and see if any of them can make it.
Chilidog
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

SPQR

Lets ask ourselves the question , "How bad do we need this?"  I think we need it.  I think it helps us carve out a place for ourselves in the gun culture in a visible way.  I think it helps us SOM because it gives us a chance to say "let's go shoot, we aren't partisan, we like American History".  It gives us an opportunity to get into the conversation about shooting. 

I am willing to work it.  I can't do it Friday but I can Sat and Sun if needed.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

yellowhousejake

I can spare AB from Rochester, if Bill 3 and Amber come down I am good for staffing. All others can work to be at the 1500. I cannot setup that Friday, maybe, but I will not know until that week so we should not plan on it.

I send a call to arms PM tomorrow.

YHJ

YHJ

TBE

I can do all day Sat or Sun.
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776