News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor KD day returns

Started by yellowhousejake, August 02, 2011, 10:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

If you missed out on Atterbury in May, here is another chance to get real KD on a real range. This time for two days. Camping will be allowed on the range!

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=22366.msg174404#msg174404

READ the EIP, there are certain rules and restrictions that must be obeyed, this is an active military installation.

I understand from everyone who attended last time it was well worth it.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=22935.0

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

stagehand steve

Arrrhg!!!!  I've got to work!!!!  :wb:  :wb:  :wb:

Anybody who hasn't gotten to do this yet should absolutely try to get there!  It was a blast the last time and I learned a lot about my rifle and my own skills.  And you get to do it for 2 days!!

If I was SPQR I would speak eloquently for another 10 paragraphs on why you should be going.  Since I'm not, I'm just going to say "Get there!"

-stagehand steve
"The program needs us all working one level beyond where we truly feel comfortable and competent." - ATM

Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress (8 January 1790).

AuntieBellum

Question: So do I have to decide on ONE rifle to bring, or is it okay for me to submit a list of serial numbers?  And then do I have to bring them all, or can I switch cases and leave the AR at home in the M1 case so as to smuggle the M1 out of the house undetected?   ::)
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

yellowhousejake

Quote from: AuntieBellum on August 02, 2011, 11:13:51 PM
Question: So do I have to decide on ONE rifle to bring, or is it okay for me to submit a list of serial numbers?  And then do I have to bring them all, or can I switch cases and leave the AR at home in the M1 case so as to smuggle the M1 out of the house undetected?   ::)

Send them all, bring all or your choice.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

slim

Bacon provided for Riflemen? Did I read that right?

I've gotta get there!!!

yellowhousejake

Quote from: slim on August 02, 2011, 11:19:38 PM
Bacon provided for Riflemen? Did I read that right?

I've gotta get there!!!

Bill says he will cook it on the spot if you score Rifleman, there, the gauntlet has been thrown.

YHJ

YHJ

slim

I'm a Rifleman already. Get to cookin, Bill!

OhmsLaw

Bill has to cook the bacon like this...
Ohmslaw(appleseed)/Peashooter(ingo)/Scott(Reality)
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." - George Washington

Bill 3

Now that's cookin'  but you'll have to supply the ammo...  That's one expensive slice of bacon.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Mudcat

Do I understand this correctly?
- Attendees must not carry side arms or have sidearms in their possession.

I cannot even bring my handgun and leave it in my vehicle locked up the entire time?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

jmdavis

Personally I don't like using the MG-42 to cook bacon. I like my bacon cooked slow. A M1919-A4 or A6 works well. Heck for a single person, an M1A1 Thompson will do.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Bill 3

Quote from: Mudcat on August 07, 2011, 09:34:16 AM
Do I understand this correctly?
- Attendees must not carry side arms or have sidearms in their possession.

I cannot even bring my handgun and leave it in my vehicle locked up the entire time?

Is correct.
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

West

Active military installations generally allow you to bring pistols on post, but you have to lock them up at the armory until you leave.  This may be an option at Atterbury, but it may not since there is active civilian shooting groups that utilize the facility.

I will be there, and I may camp, but my house is about an hour or hour and a quarter away.  I think Dragonfly is coming down that weekend and staying with me, but if someone else wants floor space, let me know.

May I suggest that we are ready to go when the sun rises, and shoot until it goes down?  That will allow us to maximize the day..

West :))

dragonfly

May I suggest that we are ready to go when the sun rises, and shoot until it goes down?  That will allow us to maximize the day..

West :))
[/quote]

So, I should bring more than 250 rounds  ;)

D-fly   @)

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

yellowhousejake

Quote from: dragonfly on August 09, 2011, 07:11:07 PM

So, I should bring more than 250 rounds  ;)

D-fly   @)

I am bringing 192 rounds of M2 ball and 200 rounds of M885. We only need 40 to qualify KD right?

:cool2:

YHJ

YHJ

dragonfly

Yes 40, and a score of 200 and above  :cool2: .

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

AuntieBellum

I'm pretty sure D-fly just threw a challenge down.  YHJ - you gonna take that from a cheesehead?

>:D

Ever so Sweetly,
AB the Innocent  @)

P.S. West - have you ever worked with Bill 3?  I don't think starting early will be an issue for him.  He's one of those *sudden hushed tone* morning people.  ++)
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

yellowhousejake

Quote from: AuntieBellum on August 09, 2011, 10:18:34 PM
I'm pretty sure D-fly just threw a challenge down.  YHJ - you gonna take that from a cheesehead?

Ever so Sweetly,
AB the Innocent  @)

We are all Riflemen and Instructors here, in Indiana a 200+ is an expectation, not a challenge.

;D

YHJ

YHJ

POC

I'm gonna see if I can find a black rifle to borrow, so I may or may not come.
I don't think my bolt gun would be practical for this.
To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.

KYWindage

Quote from: POC on August 13, 2011, 01:20:37 AM

If Techres can qualify with a cricket at 25m, you can do KD with a bolt gun at 100, 200,300,400m.
Besides most bolts hold 5 rounds in a resevoir. You just have to hand load the other 5......
"I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist."
--Article II of the Code of Conduct

yellowhousejake

Quote from: KYWindage on August 13, 2011, 09:16:18 AM
Quote from: POC on August 13, 2011, 01:20:37 AM

If Techres can qualify with a cricket at 25m, you can do KD with a bolt gun at 100, 200,300,400m.
Besides most bolts hold 5 rounds in a resevoir. You just have to hand load the other 5......

Remember, no NPOA shift required either.

YHJ

YHJ

SPQR

I don't think you would have any trouble qualing with a bolt gun.  No NPOA shift, you have decent glass and shoot good groups with it.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Mudcat

A Rifleman and even cheap glass or irons and you shouldn't have any problems. O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

yellowhousejake

Quote from: Mudcat on August 13, 2011, 06:39:48 PM
A Rifleman and even cheap glass or irons and you shouldn't have any problems. O0

I've seen Patrick shoot a boltgun, I don't think KD would be a problem. If it is I will have .5`s Colt with me and 300 rounds of M885. I seem to have a Garand to use now.

YHJ

YHJ

YHJ

POC

Thanks for everyone's confidence in my shooting ability.

My Steven's actually holds 6 in the box, and I've been practicing reloading.

I didn't have anyone to help me, so I had to start the stopwatch, drop it then eject the last shell, reload all 6, drop the bolt, eye up to the scope and then stop the stopwatch.  I got it down to about 15 seconds.  That's 40 seconds + to get off my shots, I should be able to do that, and clean my gun.....right??  :wink:

When shooting this KD, on the second and third stages do I just get to load 2 in the gun?  Or do I get to start with a full 6 in the gun?

Thanks,
Patrick
To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.

yellowhousejake

I do not know that I ahve ever seen it written down, but... Since there is no NPOA shift I see no rhyme or reason for being picky about when you reload and how many rounds.

Anyone been to a RBC know the answer?

YHJ

Quote from: POC on August 15, 2011, 02:12:53 AM
Thanks for everyone's confidence in my shooting ability.

My Steven's actually holds 6 in the box, and I've been practicing reloading.

I didn't have anyone to help me, so I had to start the stopwatch, drop it then eject the last shell, reload all 6, drop the bolt, eye up to the scope and then stop the stopwatch.  I got it down to about 15 seconds.  That's 40 seconds + to get off my shots, I should be able to do that, and clean my gun.....right??  :wink:

When shooting this KD, on the second and third stages do I just get to load 2 in the gun?  Or do I get to start with a full 6 in the gun?

Thanks,
Patrick

YHJ

Bill 3

Once the number of people is known, we can determine whether there are NPOA shifts.  If we like, we can even run stage #4 on ten targets(2 rounds each).........

@) @) @)  I like options...

The Kid

There is no requirement to load 2 and 8. Just to break your position to reload. Load as many as you can and then single feed the last 4, it will be faster that way. (Presuming you have a follower override.
TK
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

Bill 3

Quote from: The Kid on August 15, 2011, 11:41:41 AM
There is no requirement to load 2 and 8. Just to break your position to reload. Load as many as you can and then single feed the last 4, it will be faster that way. (Presuming you have a follower override.
TK

The requirement, as I understand it, is to break position to reload other than on a shift unless not possible for a valid reason.   I think running a bolt gun with an internal capacity of (less than 8 ) more than meets this requirement.

jmdavis

2 and 8, 5 and 5, 6 and 4, 6 and single load 4 it all adds up to 10 and requires a break in NPOA/position.

If you practice it The Kid's advice works well. We do it for field shoots, but you need to make sure that your bolt will not lock back when you are single feeding. US military bolt rifles (1903, 1903a3, 19170 have a magazine cut off to prevent the bolt from locking back. In addition rifle like the Steyr's have a magazine position to facilitate it.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner