News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor KD Day - CAJMTC - 22/05/2011

Started by Bill 3, May 23, 2011, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill 3

It was a good day.  Eight instructors and a guest shooter(Joe) from CIHPRS along with myself and .5(Pit Boss) spent the day out in the sun and the rain(not enough rain by ATM's standards) Finding sight dope, reading the wind, and shooting full distance AQT's all while discussing some of the finer points and tasks prior to and when taking the shot.  It was a long day and everyone pressed through the fatigue that can set in late in the day.

Three instructors qualified KD, congratulations Andre, TBE, and KYWindage(received water treatment for his 200)...  I also had the pleasure of handing out a patch.  Our guest shooter Joe, smoked the KD AQT with a 242, followed by a 243.  I guess there wasn't any luck there..  There were some 180's and 190's in those scores as well that are knocking on that door.

The day wrapped up with some round table feedback and then it was time to get a bite to eat after a fantastic day at the range.

Thank you  to everyone present and those not there that were the driving force in getting access to this location.

Back with pictures and more commentary later.

P.S. - Camping on the range at Atterbury is kind of like going to bed early on the Fourth of July.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Bill 3

"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Bill 3

Our 200, congratulations KYWindage:

New KD qualification, congratulations TBE:

Another, congratulations Andre:

New Rifleman, congratulations Joe:

TBE

HUGE THANKS to all those who made this possible!

I had a great day and I learned much about my rifle, my marksmanship and how to be a better teacher.  I also met new friends and got to spend more time with people I greatly admire. 

Special thanks to Bill 3 and .5.  You two are obviously cut from the same mold and that is a compliment to both of you.

If I can make a request, would everyone post  their come-ups along with any info about their rifle?  I'm curious to see what everyone came up with for future reference.  . 

For me:
20" AR 1/7 twist
Caliber: .223
Ammo: 55gr Fiocchi FMJ
100-200 1.5 MOA
200-300 2.5 MOA
300-400 3.0 MOA

Thanks again!
TBE
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

SPQR

Wow, what a fun day with fun people.  I learned a ton about myself and my rifle.  I learned things that will help me teach other people.  I found three ticks but was so nervous about the threat of more that I pulled off two or three moles just to be sure.  I didn't have enough water and feel it in my joints today (a gallon and a half is not enough).  Just had a ton of fun.

RRA 16" 1:9 twist
Chamber: .223
Ammo: 55gr. Fiocchi FMJ
100-200 2 MOA
200-300 2 MOA
300-400 uh... :-\   :sos:
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

DaveD

Definitely a fun day with a great group of people!  Learned a lot.  Like Bill said camping at the range is like 4th of July.  The mosquito's weren't too bad, but the ticks are hungry!  So take plenty of a proven insect repellent.

My thanks to Bill3 and .5 for giving of their time so the rest of us could learn.

Yes, if you can do it at 25M you can do it at 500 yds, but there are things that only full distance shooting will tell you.

1.  For you handloaders, how will your favorite 25M load perform at 500.  My load is great at 25m, 100, and 200, but is way       underpowered beyond that. At 400 yds I had  to dial up 17.5 MOA from 100yd zero.

2.  My scope will not accurately reset to zero.  Second AQT everything was low by approx 4 - 5 MOA

3.  My groups aren't what they should be  :-[

AR  16"   1:7 twist
Chamber 5.56
Handloads  75Gr Hornady BTHP over 20.9gr H4895
100-200 2 MOA
200-300 8 MOA
300-400 7.5 MOA
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Bill 3

Quote from: TBE on May 23, 2011, 09:28:03 PM
... You two are obviously cut from the same mold and that is a compliment to both of you.

Now now, .5 may be insulted here if you take a look my profile(my gut, that is).....  **)

Seriously, thank you for coming out and thank you for the compliments.

AuntieBellum

I am NOT gonna miss another one of these. You all look like you had a great time - congrats to our newest KD Riflemen - and our newest Rifleman, Joe!

I'll share my come-ups later, too, if anyone is interested.  May give you more data to consider.  However, you'll have to wait a week until I get home to my noteboook and back to our blessed Midwestern state where adjustable stocks are allowed.    ;D

Info:
DPMS 16" AR .223
Ammo: Federal 55 gr
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

stagehand steve

Quote from: AuntieBellum on May 24, 2011, 01:08:05 AM
I am NOT gonna miss another one of these. You all look like you had a great time - congrats to our newest KD Riflemen - and our newest Rifleman, Joe!

That brings up a good question.  When are we going to do this again?  I heard some murmurs that the eventual goal is to do 3 a year.   How many are we going to be able to get in this year?  And for what it is worth, I prefer single day instructor events on Sunday because of my work schedule.  Just speaking for myself, I'm a lot more likely to be able to make it.

-ss
"The program needs us all working one level beyond where we truly feel comfortable and competent." - ATM

Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress (8 January 1790).

yellowhousejake

Quote from: stagehand steve on May 24, 2011, 12:01:00 PM
Quote from: AuntieBellum on May 24, 2011, 01:08:05 AM

That brings up a good question.  When are we going to do this again?  I heard some murmurs that the eventual goal is to do 3 a year.   How many are we going to be able to get in this year?  And for what it is worth, I prefer single day instructor events on Sunday because of my work schedule.  Just speaking for myself, I'm a lot more likely to be able to make it.

-ss

We are looking for August to be the next time we are at Atterbury. That will be a two day event. The idea of four events a year was in regards to regular public Appleseed events, Instructor KD days I believe we are limited to three a year.

How many instructor KD days we have at Atterbury is determined solely by how well we cover our other scheduled events.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SPQR

All of the instructors involved need, when going over their data and lessons learned, need to consider what lessons you learned can transfer over to our teaching methodology and how you can adapt your experience to help others learn.

What a fun day.   
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

KYWindage

Ditto. What an awesome day!
It was nice to meet new faces and to see others whose names whave been all over the forums.
I learned alot from my little black "devil" rifle. But I was great to stretch it's legs out an strike black at 400 yds. I still have ALOT to learn and I felt especially privledged to be associated with this fine group of instructors and look forward to sliding into a prone position on the firing line with them again soon.
I look forward to regurgetating this out for shooters at a local Appleseed near you.
Many thanks to the people responsible for getting this event together....Bill3(provided nice shade), .5(needs tactical sandles), Joe(an ANIMAL!), etc......

-Semper Fidelis

KY Windage
"I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist."
--Article II of the Code of Conduct

Andre

Thanks to Bill3 and .5 on doing a great job on running the KD and getting us up to speed both on the line and in the pits!   O0 O0 O0

Still trying to digest it all, but I'll keep at it and hope to be able to pass it on efficiently.
Also, good to meet, work, and shoot with a great group.

I don't know if my rifle data will be of any help or interest to anyone, but since you asked, here it is...

AR15 / DPMS upper / 20" / 1:10
Chambered in 30 RAR
Ammo: .30 Remington AR 123 gr (UMC)
come ups:  100 > 200 = 1.5 MOA
                   200 > 300 = 3 MOA
                   300 > 400 = 4 MOA

:)

ATM

Excellent day. Great to see everyone again!
It was very beneficial for me as I don't have long yardage available nearby for practice.

Although the concepts and math are very straightforward, it was interesting to feel like a shooting n00b again on that first KD AQT. The excited jitters, heavy breathing, (well, that was probably caused by lugging too much equipment between stages  $$-0) I was struggling to get in the bubble and do the dance.

It was just a different experience from the 25m AQTs that I'd gotten used to.
It was quite different than just casually ringing steel as well.

Between the notes I took (I am a horrible note taker) and the confidence of having one under my belt, I was able to better relax and focus for the second attempt and shot a much better score.
(Not quite enough, but close. I'll be back!)  ;)

Being a bit more weary physically paled in comparison to the mental improvement. That's something we can instill in the students as well. Hitting the afternoon "wall" is much more a condition of the mind than the body.  ++)

Thanks for everyone that came out to share the day honing their KD skills, and especially Bill3 and .5 for running the firing and target lines.  :bow:

See ya all out there.  8)

16" AR 1/9 twist
Caliber: 5.56
Ammo: 62gr PMC X-Tac M855
100-200 1.5 MOA
200-300 2.0 MOA
300-400 2.5 MOA
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0