News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winter appleseed

Started by Mark Davis, July 28, 2010, 01:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

Fred sent out a long personal message telling us we should have some shoots in the winter.
Ole clod will not be at an appleseed opening day of hunting season (standards you know) but how about we discuss making our rifles function in cold?
I can name one instructor who will not shoot centerfire in the snow for practice out of fear of loosing his brass.
So what we gonna do about our .22s?
CCI minimags? they have a bit more power than some of the bulk packs.
The remington bulk packs with all the wax on them do function a cold rifle pretty good. Good things happen with all that wax burning! Plus the extra time warming up indoors cleaning off all the gunk!
Thanks to Biathalon I have several OZ of US army issue Lube, Arctic Weather.
If we could get on the schedule over at Missoula the altitude is quite a bit lower than Three Forks or Boulder unfortunatly it snows more there and the sunshines less with very little let up from icey roads.

techres

While you are making plans, please be sure to pass on your cold weather secrets to us not as cold but still cold states.  We can use your expertise!

Techres,
Indiana
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

glocker21

Quote from: clodhopper on July 28, 2010, 01:21:18 AM
Fred sent out a long personal message telling us we should have some shoots in the winter.
Ole clod will not be at an appleseed opening day of hunting season (standards you know) but how about we discuss making our rifles function in cold?
I can name one instructor who will not shoot centerfire in the snow for practice out of fear of loosing his brass.
So what we gonna do about our .22s?
CCI minimags? they have a bit more power than some of the bulk packs.
The remington bulk packs with all the wax on them do function a cold rifle pretty good. Good things happen with all that wax burning! Plus the extra time warming up indoors cleaning off all the gunk!
Thanks to Biathalon I have several OZ of US army issue Lube, Arctic Weather.
If we could get on the schedule over at Missoula the altitude is quite a bit lower than Three Forks or Boulder unfortunatly it snows more there and the sunshines less with very little let up from icey roads.

I have been buying bulk federal but have not seen any bulk remington. CCI seems hard to come by. I am up for a winter shoot.

I would LOVE to get over to Missoula to shoot. remember the turn out we had at a winter shoot...the three hardy folk that turned out. Where are you finding arctic lube?
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

A virtuous government requires a virtuous people.

A frugal government requires a selfâˆ'reliant people.

A free country requires people who value liberty more than
money."
Charley Reese

Mark Davis

The arctic lube came from a guy who had some gallon cans, tried to buy one but he refused, gave me a few oz instead.

TheCount

How about something in Billings this Winter?   Weather there wouldn't be too bad... and I can easily make that  :)

QuoteThe arctic lube came from a guy who had some gallon cans, tried to buy one but he refused, gave me a few oz instead.
As an alternative to LAW,  try Mobil-1... there are a number of fellas down here that swear by it.

bedford

There was a good thread on this last winter: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11015.0

M1s M1As, and ARs, should have no problems if lubed correctly.....

Coaster

I can't get to that link, care to repost the gist of it?
Coaster

glocker21

Quote from: The Count on July 31, 2010, 02:14:23 AM
How about something in Billings this Winter?   Weather there wouldn't be too bad... and I can easily make that  :)

QuoteThe arctic lube came from a guy who had some gallon cans, tried to buy one but he refused, gave me a few oz instead.
As an alternative to LAW,  try Mobil-1... there are a number of fellas down here that swear by it.

I forgot all about Mobile 1
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

money."
Charley Reese

Mark Davis

Coaster,
That link mentions graphite, then posts warn of problems with graphite and almuminum then some talk of other synthetic lube and part numbers for lube, arctic weather.
or light arctic weather as the poster called it.

tdow

Eezox is what the Canadians use in the winter.  It's a type of CLP for extreme cold, and the rust preventative is a bit more effective than break free.  I believe it's sold by Warren Outdoor Products or something like that.  As a lube, if I remember correctly, it's about in the same ballpark as break free, not spectacular, but probably good enough to work.

Mark Davis

Dosent that eezox come in a camo can?

Coaster

Thanks Clodhopper. Yeah Eezox is in a camo can, sucks when you set it down and can't find it again. Good for sales I guess.  :D
Coaster

Mark Davis

I had a can once but used it up three presidents ago. The shop where it was purchased was a very small business that could not make it.
Eezox is good stuff but hard to find.

Mark Davis

Thanks Todd,
Being luddite, I never purchase anything on line.
Next time I wander through Wheatland WY I can get some.
Mark

tdow

I don't know what "luddite" means, but it must be good if that's what you are.

Maybe our paths will cross on the trail sometime.  It would be nice to see you (without losing focus on the mission of course  :))

--Todd

4bfox

Here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

Think my oldest brother may be one, too...
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Mark Davis

Modern Luddite in my definition is some one who will not enter a credit card # into computers.
I LIKE to Fix computers. Favorite tool? 2lb cross peen.
Maybe you're computer is secure, I know mine is not.

4bfox

See! My brother fits right in...he has an extensive collection of hammers, from an itty-bitty one up to a 6lb sledge. When we were kids, most everything on the farm got fixed with bailing wire and a hammer. I am an admitted computer geek, and yes, my credit card account has been hacked 3-4 times.

Hope your winter AS works out, we're hoping to do one in Kansas.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

bedford

I am thinking that the Red and Orange hats should bring some cans of compressed air to blow out snow/water/crud.

Scarecrow

I found EEZOX online @ MidwayUSA 6 months ago.

mtmisfit

a spray bottle filled with RV antifreeze (the non-toxic -50 red stuff) works great for cleaning out snow/ice from firearms.

Royal Purple gun oil or SLIP 2000 works good in the cold.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

Gremlin

I'd do a winter appleseed.  I'm a member of two of the Billings ranges now, early December isn't usually silly cold.  I'll camp out with whoever wants to come.

Mark Davis

Can you get us a weekend approved with one of those ranges, seems like Blue Creek would be glad to host another appleseed.
We just need a local to set it up.

Gremlin

glocker21

Quote from: Gremlin on October 12, 2010, 09:11:07 AM
I'll see what I can do.

Gremlin,

I think Blue Creek Range would be awesome...pm me and we can chat about this

Glocker21

money."
Charley Reese

Gremlin

I ran into the manager of the Blue Creek range today while buying some powder at Cabelas.  He was very excited about an upcoming appleseed but seems surprised that we wanted to run one in winter.  :)  Anyway, any date after then end of hunting season is a go.  That means right after Thanksgiving.  I'm hoping we can do one in May again as well and he open to that as well.  I've gotten permission to leave flyers at several local gun stores while I was at it.  Pick a date, this party is going to happen.  Tomorrow is my first USPSA match.  Wish me luck!

Mark Davis

Gremlin,
Weekend of the 4th is bad for me, it's my bride's birthday. She's no fan of appleseed, barley tolerates it.
Weekend of the 18th I am signed up for Serria Vista AZ.
Christmas is out.
So how about th 11th?
anybody else?

Gremlin

I've got a possible Cub Scout activity that weekend, but I'm not supposed to be directly involved.  I can push it off my schedule if an Appleseed happens that weekend.

Mark Davis

Two weekends in a row, appleseed with all the travel time to AZ is likley to get some sort of negitive reaction from the little woman.