News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Alton, IL 4/10 AAR

Started by rprlrpc, April 18, 2010, 08:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rprlrpc

Wonderful Appleseed, 26 shooters 12Riflemen, yes twelve! Big Thanks to TC, Revellie, Missouri Brigade, George and Secure Peace. 12 Rifemen is a great testament to your teaching ability. Although I didn't make rifleman I improved and could identify my problems and mistakes. Thanks again and congrats to the even dozen new Riflemen.

Garand69

12 RIFLeMAN!!!!!! What the heck are you folks putting in the coffee down there!!!  :D

Great Work TC and Team IL O0 Lemons?.... What Lemons??

Let's hear some more and SEE some more!!!! Who had a camera!!! &)
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

SkyHawk

12 new rifleman out of 26?  Unbelievable and awesome!  Congratulations to those hard working shooters and all the rest who took time this weekend to come out and learn about our unique American heritage.  Also congrats to that awesome group of instructors that made it all happen.
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

TreadCarefully

Actually, if you include our IIT SecurePeace, who scored his first Rifleman score (220), we had 13 Rifleman out of 27 shooters. That's 48% by my reckoning. New Appleseed record?

The instructor crew had a great time. Several return Appleseeders, many first-timers, men, women, kids, teenagers, everyone with great attitudes, both about learning to shoot and learning our heritage.

Despite some water on the target line the range was an impressive place to have a shoot.

We're going back next year to set a new record!

Reveille has the pics to be posted soon.

Thanks to everyone, students and crew, for a great weekend  O0
Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

John Boch

12/13 riflemen in one weekend?  Holy cow!  Good work.

We were 0/20 down in KY (sad face), but on the positive side, there was a shoot there!   Had several knocking on the door and huge improvements. 

Plenty of memorables.  I spent a fair amount of time helping one young man (age 9 I believe) who had zero rounds hit the opening Redcoat target.  By the end of the day, and some improvisation to get a sling on his little Rossi youth single-shot, he overcame many challenges and put most of his shots on the target.  His grandpa was pretty proud. 

John

mtbrass

The three young men with me and I all had a great time.  Really well run, felt welcome, great to be a part of it. I got some help from everyone there, couldn't have asked for a better group.  This was my second Appleseed, a lot closer to home this time and I just can't say enough good about the people- shooters and instructors. TC, George, Reveille, Missouri Brigade and Secure Peace, if I missed anyone I apologize but hats off or maybe hats on - orange and red of course.  Can't wait to go back. O0

Reveille

Finally some pictures.  Saturday morning sun rise, newly improved full 82' firing line, TC giving the First Strike, 13 round volley 3pm Sat, Stage 4 of the first AQT (which crancked out 5 Rifleman). 
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Reveille

Some more.  2nd Strike, 5 new Rifleman, Saturday night campfire, 1 more Rifleman, 5 more Rifleman, Large bore NPOA drill!
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Boba Fett

TWELVE?    :o

Looks to me like they padded the line with a bunch of out of state Instructors who registered incognito.  >:D  ::)

Seriously though... That is an amazing class to Rifleman ratio. Kudos to TC and the rest of the Alton crew.  O0

Well done everyone!  ^:)^  Welcome to the Rifleman Family!

Now who want's an Orange Hat?   :cool2:  ..:..

BF

TreadCarefully

Three students out of the 26 asked for orange hats (that's over 10% by the way). You'll see them at shoot near you soon.

Reveille

Thanks to ALL the shooters for making this historic event a resounding success!  This was one of the best groups of Americans I have ever had the privilege to know.  :bow: I hope to see all of you again on the trail. Congratulations to the 12 new Rifleman and women.  And welcome new orange hats! O0  The rest of you are not far behind, keep up the hard work.  
Reveille.

P.S. I wouldn't recommend trying to find your NPOA with a canon, my shoulder still hurts!

Pappy

Great job; Twelve Riflemen!!!! WOW....... :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: JP
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Gopher Boy

Twelve!  Right on!     :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Illinois leading the way. 

EEL

12 ?  #)  Did I read that right?  OR was that 1-2?  Ya know, "Like a couple 2-3"
Great job Alton crew  O0  When given a stone quarry, bust the rocks w/ lead  **)

Look forward to meeting our new Riflemen.  TC, I'll need their contact info so we can put 'em to work  ~~:)

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

barrysuperhawk

Quote from: Boba Fett on April 19, 2010, 05:49:17 PM

Looks to me like they padded the line with a bunch of out of state Instructors who registered incognito.  >:D  ::)

Seriously though... That is an amazing class to Rifleman ratio. Kudos to TC and the rest of the Alton crew.  O0

BF

Not an out of state instructor, just a fat guy that managed to earn his patch...now I want to earn an orange hat.  

Hello, My name is Barry and   I attended my first appleseed in Alton, IL on 17-18 April 2010.  During that weekend, I managed to shoot rifleman level scores three times, with three different rifles.  I shot a 216 with a bone stock - except for tech sights - 10/22.  Then I shot a 237 with a Rock River National Match, Service Rifle legal, AR, followed by a 235 with another Rock River AR that is configured like an SPR.  I am sorry if it sounds like I am bragging, but I am, kind of, because I am damn proud.  

I do have to give credit where it is due, though, and that is to the Alton instructors; TreadCarefully, Revellie, Missouri Brigade, George and Secure Peace.  Despite the fact that I came in as an experienced shooter, and by experienced I mean hard headed, stubborn, and overconfident in my own knowledge and abilities, I learned much from these fine gentlemen.  In short, I was probably the worst type of student, the one that already knows the subject, and is convinced he knows it better.  But, I put in my best effort to bring my "teachable attitude" to the line, and lo-and-behold, I DID actually learn things.  My problem mostly was that I knew all of the words, all of the raw information, but only had a rudimentary grasp of how to apply it.  The skill [and patience] of the instructors made all the difference, because I am convinced I could not have shot as well as I did, without them.

http://www.youtube.com/barrysuperhawk#p/u/82/J-yd9uFg-Ow

"Barry don't even know the meaning of light loads." -Jim Davidson

Sheepdog

Great testimonial Barry. Stay on the trail and your going to see yourself in someone else and BAM your going to have a special moment.
12 Riflemen or 13 which ever nice job TC and company.
Bidding you all well, Sheepdog.
PS I think I'll go howl at the moon cause TC was the guy who brought me up!

Quote from: barrysuperhawk on April 19, 2010, 11:43:41 PM

BF

Not an out of state instructor, just a fat guy that managed to earn his patch...now I want to earn an orange hat.  

Hello, My name is Barry and   I attended my first appleseed in Alton, IL on 17-18 April 2010.  During that weekend, I managed to shoot rifleman level scores three times, with three different rifles.  I shot a 216 with a bone stock - except for tech sights - 10/22.  Then I shot a 237 with a Rock River National Match, Service Rifle legal, AR, followed by a 235 with another Rock River AR that is configured like an SPR.  I am sorry if it sounds like I am bragging, but I am, kind of, because I am damn proud.  

I do have to give credit where it is due, though, and that is to the Alton instructors; TreadCarefully, Revellie, Missouri Brigade, George and Secure Peace.  Despite the fact that I came in as an experienced shooter, and by experienced I mean hard headed, stubborn, and overconfident in my own knowledge and abilities, I learned much from these fine gentlemen.  In short, I was probably the worst type of student, the one that already knows the subject, and is convinced he knows it better.  But, I put in my best effort to bring my "teachable attitude" to the line, and lo-and-behold, I DID actually learn things.  My problem mostly was that I knew all of the words, all of the raw information, but only had a rudimentary grasp of how to apply it.  The skill [and patience] of the instructors made all the difference, because I am convinced I could not have shot as well as I did, without them.

RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

TreadCarefully

I always knew you were a howler SheepDog ;-)

Hope all is well in the wild west

dragonfly

Quote from: TreadCarefully on April 19, 2010, 10:26:01 PM
Three students out of the 26 asked for orange hats (that's over 10% by the way). You'll see them at shoot near you soon.

WOW great job Guy's. ILsucks the place for Appleseed records :bow: :bow: O0

D-fly Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Reveille

Quote from: barrysuperhawk on April 19, 2010, 11:43:41 PM
TWELVE?   :o

Looks to me like they padded the line with a bunch of out of state Instructors who registered incognito.  >:D  ::)

Seriously though... That is an amazing class to Rifleman ratio. Kudos to TC and the rest of the Alton crew.  O0

Well done everyone!  ^:)^  Welcome to the Rifleman Family!

Now who want's an Orange Hat?   :cool2:  ..:..

BF

Barry, you summed it up very well.  You were able to identify what was between you and your goal and that is all that it takes.  It was a pleasure working with you and I hope you are considering returning in one capacity or another.  Keep up the great work!  Hope to see you again soon.  

Reveille.

Ashes

Wow, that's a lot of riflemen! Must be something in the water at the target line!  ;)
How about sharing the secret of your success with the rest of us poor IITs?  **)

Hmm.. traditionally we soak a new Rifleman who just makes his/her 210.. Does pre-soaking encourage the growth of new Riflemen?  :o

**) **) **) **)

Mals9

I too was able to make Rifleman in spite of myself. The instructors kept emphasizing the basics and finally I learned to take my time and shoot by the numbers. I stuggled quite a bit but each instructor kept encouraging and coaching all of us. I am very happy to have attended and the instruction and instructors were top notch. We had a great group of shooters amd I enjoyed the company. Don't let Barry fool you, that man can shoot.

Mals

TreadCarefully

We actually had 2 210's, and both shooters were properly christened (water bottles and small water cooler). Neither seemed to mind much!

George63

------------------------

Missouri Brigade

Thanks to all the shooters and instructors for a great shoot and to Mr. Ross for the use of his range.  I hope that you all tell others about the good experiences you had, step up to promote and instruct, and most importantly always recall what it cost to create this nation and your role in maintaining and growing what made it great.

Dry fire and shoot cheap 22 rounds and you will soon be at Rifleman.

FIREPOWER

This was my second appleseed and what a great experience it was. I can not remember a weekend where I learned more. My goal was to make Rifleman and finally on Sunday afternoon I made it.

I would like to thank TC, Reveille, George, Missouri Brigade, and Secure Peace for their outstanding instruction, not only on the range but also on the history of our nation.  What a great program appleseed is.  I am looking forward to attending an appleseed next month.

Thanks Again!!!

Maj. Robert Rogers

This was my first Appleseed. I must say, I enjoyed every minute of it! Finally, on Thursday my poor old body isn't as sore. First of all I would like to thank TC, Revielle, George, Secure Peace and Mo Brigade. They were very knowledgeable, patient and helpful.  Having never utilized a sling for shooting it was a new experience for me.  I learned more about shooting "properly" than I ever have. 

I and my step-daughter approached Appleseed with open minds and not knowing what to expect.  The help we received was great. I have a lot of work to do, in order to master the use of the sling.  This is my first step on my journey to earn the Rifleman's patch.  I am bound and determined to earn it.

On another note, my stepdaughter, is now the best shot in the house! She powered through both days using a bolt action rifle and shot a 205 with it. She was bound and determined to earn that badge.  With dogged determination she persevered. Much thanks to George for his allowing her to use his 10-22. For with that, she shot 210 and earned her patch.   ^:)^  Upon scoring her 210, it was only appropriate that George christened her with a cooler of water! She has been on cloud 9 all week. We framed her AQT and hung it in her room.  She is trying to figure out how to put together a shooting team at school (that in itself will be a mean feat) and is telling all of her friends about her Appleseed experience. 

This was a great family experience and it is a phenomenal program.

Garand69

Excellent testimonials folks, That's what this section is all about! I'm glad the shoot was a success, and that the shooters really enjoied themselves. O0

See you all on the line soon. Shoots are opening up in Down State IL, and telling your Appleseed Story will help insure they sell out and are successful as well!!! ^:)^
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

George63

------------------------------

Mals9

Maj. Roberts I have to say I was very impressed with that young lady's talent with the bolt gun. I bet given a little more time she would have made Rifleman with it. I was very happy to see her get her patch. That alone was worth the price of admission.

Mals

Reveille

I'm with you Mals9.  She was knocking at the door with the bolt gun!  Very impressive and a joy to watch it unfold the way that it did.  The race gun got her to the finish line faster but I have no doubt she would have done it with her rifle too.  Keep up the good work!  A shooting club in an Illinois School ( or is she from Missouri)?  Never the less,  I will definitely make it to the first exhibition and I think I would have some company joining me!  Please let me know if this comes to fruition. 
Reveille.