News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ADAPTIVE AQT Techniques

Started by rambo granny, May 08, 2022, 04:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo granny

Key words
Video
Adaptive 4 minute AQT
Mobility
Open leg chair position
IAO

"Adapt and overcome". News flash. It IS possible to do an Adaptive 4 Minute AQT.
Yes, there's photographic proof (in case it takes a while to be able to do it again. 🤣)

In transforming my own gimp-ness over the past 21 monthsðŸ˜,, perhaps hard earned knowledge will indeed help and/or encourage other mobility challenged students or instructors.

First off, none of the regular seated positions have been possible for me…. yet. What does work is the open leg position with the derrière on a chair instead of on the ground. Exactly the same steady hold factors and shifting still apply. See picture.

After being told by the orthopedic doc, "you need to forget about a low stoop", the going prone part remains a work in progress. Adapt and Overcome. Upon seeing video of my impromptu 4 min AQT, my talented physical therapist suggested some video homework to come up with best body mechanics to avoid further injury. 😁 Of course work continues on other deficits too.

I had been thinking about doing the 4 Minute AQT for quite some time, but not totally sure how to adapt. In an impulsive moment, I just did it for real with prepped mags already sitting in the range bag which meant stage 2 & 3 each got shot with a mag change. Dang! Add the super slow moving shooter time to that and it meant firing at almost hyperventilating rifleman cadence. 🤣 Thank goodness the slow getting up after it's all over isn't timed!😜

True confessions…It is less time with "ouch" to do 4 Minute AQT than a regular one.

Thanks Wendy, Sybil, and Bruce for being safety officer, video persons, and timekeepers of this experiment.

Video of Adaptive 4 Minute AQT
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez78ea8z12wdrc5/IMG_9340.MOV?dl=0

Target
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kybbczpsjr3tep/IMG_9368.jpg?dl=0

Video of Adaptive seated position w better view
https://www.dropbox.com/s/63f58ctoc5cpmhq/IMG_9338.mov?dl=0

Links replaced 7/18/22
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Minutemom

This is absolutely amazing Janet! I know how hard you've been working since your accident. It's truly admirable and such an inspiration! Thank you for posting this, as it's super important that we're able to help our adaptive Appleseeders! This is a great example of how to do it!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

TheMenace

Congratulations on this achievement Janet. IAO! I'm certain Jean Albert is smiling down on you.  :1luvu
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

Heavyduty77

I have worked with "rambo granny" for several years and watched her painstakingly assist shooters using her steady and relaxing coaching style. When her leg was badly injured in an accident it looked as though her ability to complete an AQT was at an end. She has worked diligently for almost two years trying to recover and seeing the video of her complete and qualify shooting a Rapid Fire AQT was monumental! I haven't known many people that have shown the determination and persistence that she has.

The fact that she has not only shown that she can overcome her injury and adapt sufficiently to score, she has also made it a point to show that we can learn from her experience to accommodate and assist others that are having doubts about their ability to participate in our program.

Thank you Janet for your dedication to Appleseed.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." --Adolf Hitler, 1935

"Cause the registration of all firearms on some pretext, with the view of confiscating them and leaving the population defenseless." --Vladimir Ilich Lenin

"Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."                             -- Aristotle

Tennessee Beast

You're an inspiration and a great example of IAO!!!  Hope to see you soon!
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Overmountain

Wow!  Very well done!  What a phenomenal example of persistence! 
Rifleman: October 2017, March 2020, April 2020, March 2021, December 2021
Instructor Boot Camp: February 2020, February 2021, January 2022, March 2022
Known Distance Qualified: December 2021
Libertyseed: July 2020
Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: January 2021
Pistol Qualified: Rimfire and Centerfire January 2021
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: February 2022

Burnett

Oh, that right there is inspirational!
I have a blown out disk at L4-L5 that is going to require fusing; seated or kneeling is an ordeal.
I might could do that.
THANKS! and Congrats,
Burnett

rambo granny

Key words
Adaptive instructing
IAO

Burnette
If this experiment only helped one person, it would be absolutely worth all the effort!
Please feel free to PM me if I can be of help. There are some fine points if you'd like more info.

This offer is open to anyone else who is either personally challenged or has a special student they want to help.

FWIW….I thought at one point I would have to hang up my hat due to the continuing mobility issues,  Once again IAO applies to teaching. Focus on what one can do rather than what one  can't do. We don't have enough bailers for the mission. Together, which includes "alarm listers" and mobility challenged, we are all stronger.
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Burnett

300berg

Key words
Adaptive Shooting Organizations

Quote from: rambo granny on May 10, 2022, 07:52:00 AM
This offer is open to anyone else who is either personally challenged or has a special student they want to help.

I am paying attention to this thread.  There is a local organization near me called Adaptive Sports North Country (https://adaptivesportspartners.org/programs/)
that I could reach out to. 

I would like to be more knowledgeable about adaptive shooting options before approaching them.  In the meantime I will learn what I can and plan to volunteer
for their existing programs.

Thanks for everything you do!

Captain

This looks great (and fun)! Thanks for sharing.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

rambo granny

Key words
Center fire rifle
Open leg chair position
IAO

ScubaSteve has made this post "sticky" so it stays near the top. This allows us all to share  Adaptive techniques over time.
So the experiment with the open leg chair position continues.
It's been 2 years since I shot a center fire while rehab slowly progressed. That changed yesterday when we got an invite from AS buddies who are members at a private long distance range.
While everyone here knows that 300 & 400 yds are shot prone in AS for good reasons , it is possible to make consistent hits @ 300 and 400 in the open leg chair position!
After being prone twice, the chair position was necessary.🤣
In the picture note the best ever knee pad device: more on that if there's questions

ScubaSteve

So we will be seeing you and Bruce at the KD this year?   We have a golf cart to move the chair :)

Black Knight

Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Monkey

Of course, the links in the original post expired...yesterday....ugh...
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

rambo granny

Key words
Video
Adaptive 4 minute AQT
Open leg chair position
IAO

Monkey here's the 4 min AQT, target, &better view of open leg chair:

Video of Adaptive 4 Minute AQT
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez78ea8z12wdrc5/IMG_9340.MOV?dl=0

Target
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kybbczpsjr3tep/IMG_9368.jpg?dl=0

Video of Adaptive seated position w better view
https://www.dropbox.com/s/63f58ctoc5cpmhq/IMG_9338.mov?dl=0

Links replaced 7/18/22

Monkey

"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

300berg

Key words
Magazines

Thank you for posting the video!

What was holding the three magazines in a triangle?  Something you made or purchased?  For a moment, I thought you
had a drum magazine for your 10/22. :)

rambo granny

Key words
Magazines

300berg:
It's a gizmo you can purchase to link 3 1022 mags together.
One less fumble factor for me….however, it does not work out for standing as my support hand goes exactly over the mag well…. short arms required pushing in the buttstock.
Purchased years ago. Bruce looking for source now & will post

9mm4545

Key words
Magazines

The triple magazine gadget uses standard Ruger (BX-1) 10/22 mags and is called a ALANGATOR TACTICAL TRIMAG. Brownells has them for under 20 bucks (not including the magazines!) but they shouldn't be hard to find. I prefer the devices that hold two mags as it fits into my pocket easier; both are super handy.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

rambo granny

Key words
Knee pad or sleeve

In the last posted pic of the "open leg chair" position, the McDavid compression knee sleeves were being used to pad and protect the grouchy knee. These don't slip around like traditional knee pads and are moisture wicking
Some colors are less $ than others. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BJ7KPU?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_PXBENREH382EQMFED1G1

While looking up the above link, just saw same padded thing for elbows with some described as a shooter arm sleeve

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

rambo granny

Key words
Seated position
Open leg chair position
Chair

In a private message, I received questions re the chair used for the "open leg chair" position adapted for stage 2 of the AQT.  Posting answers here allows sharing with everyone on this thread.
It's been a process! Many months post trauma, returning to "recoil therapy" 🤣   :---  first involved a wheelchair with my grouchy immobilized leg in full length brace sticking straight out. The earthquake shaking was offset by resting both elbows on a lap desk (board)  placed across the arms of the wheelchair.  The idea and the lap desk came from my friend, FLawyer, who watched the initial struggle. A loop sling was also used as I was shaky! Magic!

Several months passed with intense physical therapy & using a walker. It was still safer to use the board/chair/loop sling . Moving on to a shooting chair also meant certain criteria for the chair:
*sturdy arms for getting up & down ðŸ'ª
*back pack straps which made carrying my own chair possible while using a cane.ðŸ'
*large cup holder great for stashing magazines 😆

Pictures follow where you can also see the seat is slightly lower in the back….a happy accident while in West Marine using gift certificates🤣

rambo granny

Key words
Wheel Chair

Time moves like a snail while progressing from wheel chair & a walker to Adaptive rapid AQT WITH TRANSITIONS.
This was a horrible position, the leg sticking out was way worse than a lose sling. One of those times it took forever to get anywhere close to a position so it was a COF that went like,  "dang it, just shoot". Did help the frustration🤣

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7bk3qou9adtbok/IMG_1035.jpg?dl=0

rambo granny

Key words
Chair
NPOA
Shifting
Elevation
AQT

pics below help answer questions about the shooting chair
Two additional points about chair:
*Arm placement and chair width need to allow spreading knees similar  to open leg position on ground. Individual size and body challenges are factors both ways.  Shifting NPOA and elevation whether in a chair or on ground are key.
* safety first. Note in pic that this chair has wider base than seat making it more stable and UNlikely to topple. Although the experimental Adaptive 4 minute AQT was done from this very chair, it is an ADVANCED ADAPTIVE technique. Do not try it without a buddy safety officer by your side!

pennys dad

Key words
Question

Excellent thread.

Question: Would the seat work better as a hard seat or the range chair in the video?

300berg

Key words
Question

Would a rolling chair like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09K74P1X1 be useful, or not stable enough?

9mm4545

Key words
Safety
Chair

I see two problems with a chair that rolls: 1) the stability will be less than a chair with legs instead of wheels no matter how well the wheels are locked and 2) the height of the seat looks like it would be too high to get the elbows on the knees for maximum stability. The ideal chair should put the butt slightly lower than the knees. Unless the range is paved most of the wheels on rolling walkers will bog into the ground leading to less than optimal results. Perhaps a support elbow could be placed on an armrest and a reasonable amount of stability achieved. If you have access to one of these rolling walkers (with a seat), give it a try and let everyone know how it worked!

rambo granny

Key words
Wheelchair
Walker
Fall risk

So great to see dialog here as this is how we all develop….finding the good stuff and eliminating anything with safety issues or that doesn't work.

300berg I admire you keeping eyes open for possibilities. Just as each regular student has little adjustments in positioning, it's more so with adaptives. Creative thinking outside the box is a good thing.

Something to consider besides what Bruce offered….
Once a person is referred to by medical personnel as a "fall risk", that term tends to stick. If an adaptive has had a fall injury,  probably best to forget wheels unless it's a wheelchair with serous locking wheels.  Ranges are naturally full of gotcha's. Grass disguises holes, rocks roll under feet. Wanna guess how I know? 😆

When I was going to the range with a walker, it was used strictly just to get to the firing line, the target line, or the shooting chair you saw in pics. The walker was standard with no wheels which is safest,  and also much sturdier if part of the body weight must be borne  by the hands rather than all on the feet.

If the adaptive person cannot cannot go from seated to standing completely without the use of sturdy standard arms on the chair to push up, the rollator would not work. It would also be difficult if regular chair arms were necessary to push up from seated to achieve standing (or transitioning from chair to prone).

rambo granny

Key words
Seated position
Open leg chair position
IAO

Penny's dad…
Thanks for your comment. While we are a IAO bunch, I will share the one challenge to my chair since you asked about solid bottom….
A solid seat bottom instead of fabric would be even better. Just like ones heartbeat while all slung up snugly on a boiling hot day will result in support arm rifle jiggle coinciding with heartbeat, there's a bit of post center fire giggle in the chair seat. Timing & FOCUS rocks 😉 🤣