News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

We lost a good one

Started by 9mm4545, November 11, 2020, 09:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minutemom

Yep, Smoak always went above and beyond to make sure the ladies were comfortable, but he never let us short-change ourselves.  He pushed us (both students and instructors) to go farther than what we ourselves thought we could do, with amazing results.  I used to watch him carefully study a shooter who was having difficulties.  He had this uncanny ability to evaluate body type, shooting position, steady hold factors, and the six steps to firing the shot all at once, and then patiently work with the shooter to get them all lined up.  He would see things no one else picked up on.  He used to good-naturedly make fun of the way engineers think and talk, but I think he was one at heart and that's how he understood their thinking so well  :).  He was a red hat, well, really a green hat, loooooonnnnggg before he actually received the hats.  He used to joke that it was the story-telling that held him back from going for the red hat, but when he finally crossed the chicken line - wow!  What a great storyteller he was!  His stories were passionate and dripping with admiration, respect, and awe at the tales that were coming out of his mouth. 

Here is a picture of "Story Time with Uncle Smoak":

He captured the hearts of so many Appleseed students with his stories!

I agree with everyone else that we must absolutely come together to honor this great man!  I would be willing to help organize a gathering of instructors and students who loved Smoak.  It must include cookies (Bruce?).
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

falcon793

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. We spent many hours on Smoak's back yard range with our .22s. Enjoyed every minute of it. He will always be here in spirit.

rambo granny

First Memorial Volley in honor of Smokingun was at Isaac Davis Memorial Range today. Picture attached.
More to come!
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

rambo granny

The first memorial volley for Smoakingun was at Issac Davis Memorial Range. Picture attached.
There will be more to come for this modern day patriot
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Rarecat

I don't frequent these forums often but felt compelled to share some memories of Glen.  Everything I would say has already been said so I thought I'd add some pics and other memories.  Like most of you I met Smoak through Appleseed and earned my patch using one of his loaner rifles.  We quickly realized we had a common interest in obscure Military Surplus Rifles.  At the end of the shoots I attended I would always try to bring something different to share and enjoy.  Smoak and I would always compare notes on our most recent acquisitions and decide what we would shoot at the next event.  Everything from Trapdoor Springfield's to 1941 Johnson Rifles, if it used gunpowder, Smoak wanted to shoot it.  Whenever I heard from Smoak I knew something interesting a fun was afoot.  I'm going miss my friend and pray for Christi and family....

sewveryblessed

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers, photos, and memories. I have really appreciated reading over everything!
Glen Smoak was my father-in-love, and the day he passed 11-10-20, was my 30th birthday. :'(
I know he was beloved by this community.
We will miss him dearly. Here's a photo I have from our wedding.
Can you believe I got him to dress up in a 3-piece suit!?!
He would have done anything for me : )
Feel free to reach out to me at 904-315-4069, or on Facebook "Anne Elizabeth Smoak." I'm Greg's wife.
I haven't been on this forum since my first Appleseed in.....2011 I think? I had the bolt action rifle and somebody took a video of me haha.

Minutemom

I'm so very sorry for your loss sewveryblessed, and on your birthday no less  :'(
I remember him raving about what a special and awesome lady Greg was marrying.  I also remember him complaining about how much he despised wearing a suit, so I knew right then and there what a special person you must be LOL!  I can't even imagine what you and Greg and the whole family must be going through right now.  So many people are fervently praying for your mother-in-law.  She is such a sweet and wonderful woman.  I work right down the street from Shands - I'm going to text you with my phone #, so if there's anything I can do for your family, please let me know!  I can bring food, or offer you a place to crash or shower, or whatever!  Please be assured of my prayers, sending love your way <3.

Quote from: sewveryblessed on November 16, 2020, 10:39:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers, photos, and memories. I have really appreciated reading over everything!
Glen Smoak was my father-in-love, and the day he passed 11-10-20, was my 30th birthday. :'(
I know he was beloved by this community.
We will miss him dearly. Here's a photo I have from our wedding.
Can you believe I got him to dress up in a 3-piece suit!?!
He would have done anything for me : )
Feel free to reach out to me at 904-315-4069, or on Facebook "Anne Elizabeth Smoak." I'm Greg's wife.
I haven't been on this forum since my first Appleseed in.....2011 I think? I had the bolt action rifle and somebody took a video of me haha.
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

Lomshek

What a tragic loss.  I never met them but Greg & Christie sound like kindred spirits (as are all Appleseeders).

Christie, Anne and all of the family will be in my prayers. 

BluegrassColonel

I am so sad to hear this. God heal Christie and bless her and all his loved ones with comfort and peace.
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

desert_diver

This is terrible news.  Glen's family has my sympathy.

minnesotarabit

Not on the board much any more as thousands of miles way, but do catch up occasionally. (Mr. Pete was right, they do not know what AS is out here...)

Having been to numerous AS, Ladyseeds, Instructor events, and other things and stayed at Smoak and Christi's, Smoak having worked tirelessly to fix issues with my Kidd, helped him cook for events...I am beyond stunned by this news. Thank you Florida cadre for doing any and all things to support Christi and the family. They lost a fine dad, husband, neighbor.... and we lost family.

the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

Marquis de M

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Your Legacy is eternal Glen.
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

VietVet

I am honestly at a loss of words hearing this tragic news.
My thoughts and prayers are inbound for everyone touched by this.

I never had the opportunity to meet Smoak but he will never be forgotten by his Appleseed Family.
RIP Smoak, you will be missed but never forgotten.
Hopefully a quick and total recovery for Christi.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

LisaLisa

I just talked about them today. I felt so welcome in their home last year for a Ladyseed and was telling people of the experience
My prayers are with the family

Old Navy Doc

I never had the honor to meet them, but this tragedy hurts all of us and leaves a permanent hole. Like all the Appleseed family, I add prayers for comfort, peace, and healing.
Steve
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

rambo granny

UPDATE on Christi Smoak #3
Since the last update, light sedation has continued. Tubes remain including a breathing tube which also prevents Christi from speaking even if she was able. Brain swelling seems to have lessened somewhat and Christi squeezes with her right hand to request. She is not in a state to be informed about Glen and communicate about it.

Just in from Anne Smoak, (son Greg's wife):
Surgery for screws and plate on Christi's arm is scheduled for today. It is extremely high risk and dangerous because she's on blood thinners. We don't have a time on surgery yet.

Loving, devoted family remains close by. Son Greg is still the only one allowed in. Daughter Elizabeth has not been allowed to visit mom....not even once!
No arrangements have been made for smoakingun as the accident investigation is not complete.
Please keep the prayers going.

Pirategirl

Thanks for the update on Christi.  This loss is so hard to put into words.  He was an amazing man, a wonderful parent, and a fabulous Patriot.  As we stumble from the weight of his tragedy, remember what he would want us to do; dust ourselves off, eat a cookie (with ice cream) and teach others with passion, precision, and heart.  I love you all.
What doesn't kill you makes cool scars, and scars are tattoos with better stories.

MrPainless

I never met the man, but, boy, I wish I did.
He sounds like one hell of a patriot, father, friend.
We are diminished by his passing.
Let us all increase our efforts for liberty, in his memory!

Pro3five

Lord, we don't understand why our brother should suddenly be removed from us through a tragic, unexpected death but Lord we trust You to soothe away the hurt in time for shall not the God of all the earth do right. Father we also pray for miraculous and supernatural healing and comfort. In Jesus name, Amen.

Sly223

I had so much fun with you Brother.
I loved our late night chats
🥺😢🙏
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

bravhrt

I tell you true, liberty is the best of all things. Never live beneath the noose of a servile halter. ~ William Wallace

Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. ~ Wyatt Earp

Let us drop talking and get on with our work. ~ Michael Collins

Rifleman - 09.13.2020 @ Pikes Peak GC
Pistoleer™ - 10.17.2020 @ Pikes Peak GC
IBC - 03.27-28.21 @ Larkspur, CO
Pistol IBC - 05.14-15.21 @ Otto Road Shooting Range
KD Rifleman & Morgan's Shingle - 10.02.22 @ Ben Lomond GC

steve.lyon

Just posting to send my condolences.

God bless Glen and his family and friends everywhere, who are hurting from this terrible tragedy. I'm so sorry.

May Jesus heal your hearts-- all of you, and bring Glen into your Kingdom, under your peace. Amen.

I'm praying for everybody who's feeling pain over this loss. Be blessed brothers and sisters.

Good night.

6Bones

rambo granny

UPDATE on Christi Smoak #4
Christi made it through the arm surgery but she now has pneumonia and the breathing tube remains. They think the antibiotics are working but she still has many challenges from all the broken bones, ribs, "punctured heart", stroke that has happened. ðŸ'" 🙏

Most sincere thanks to all contributing to the GoFundMe.

JustKim

Really appreciate the updates.  My heart hurts for the family -- I hope they can find comfort in all of the fond memories of Glen and Christi seems to be a very strong woman capable of pulling through all the challenges she is facing and will continue to face.  Dear Lord, I pray for Christi's recovery and her comfort in knowing that Glen is safe with you. 

Love you all!
Kim
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

Puttup

Men. Crusty Men. Men with stories. Men of character.

Behavior modeled. Role defined. Acta Non Verba.

Tough love, big hearts.

The flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

The patch he gave me concealed the real gift: Fellowship

The Cornerstone of a Nation, its men, their families and the community.

Working tools of a Rifleman: Steady Hold Factors, Six Steps in Firing the Shot, NPOA.

I am a Traveling Man

rambo granny

Update on Christi Smoak #5
It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since the multi car accident.
Christi remains in critical condition and has now had a tracheotomy. She's fighting pneumonia while loving son and daughters families continue the vigil.
Prayers for Smoak family.

theri

I was out of town (and therefore off the forum) when this happened so I did not find out until last Tuesday.  It was a shock to say the least and I have had to take a week to be able to process this.  Smoak was at almost every event I worked when I was an active Instructor and I knew him fairly well.  I will miss him but I will not forget him.  We must persist and continue on with the mission.

RIP Smoak

Terry
Whiskey Tango 9

rambo granny

UPDATE ON CHRISTI SMOAK
Christi is still in ICU but has been moved to a chair occasionally. She still has a tracheostomy which frustrates communication. Quite challenging for her and family. 🙏

TheGunfather

Thank you for the update.  Has her pneumonia improved?  We continue to pray for her.