News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

We lost a good one

Started by 9mm4545, November 11, 2020, 09:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

It is with extreme sadness that I learned that my good friend and fellow Appleseeder Glen Smoak (Smoakingun) was killed yesterday in a car accident. His wife Christie was severely injured in the accident and is in an ICU in Gainesville. Please pray for Christie and the family in this time of tragedy.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Cable___Guy

This Hurts so much, He will be missed.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Guntuckian

Prayers for all the family.  So sad.  He will be greatly missed.
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

scuzzy

Dear lord - please welcome Glen with open arms. And watch over Christie.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Ricochet Rabbit

So sad to hear this, it will be so hard on the family, both blood and Appleseed. You will all be in my prayers.
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Engineer shooting

Putnam County, FL (November 11, 2020) - One person was killed and four others suffered injuries following a crash on State Road 100 in Putnam County. The crash took place just before 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 10th.

The Florida Highway Patrol responded to the crash scene. According to troopers, a 59-year old woman from Palatka was traveling westbound on SR 100 when she lost control of her vehicle, causing it to swerve off the roadway and strike a guardrail. The car then traveled back onto the roadway and collided head-on with a second car. A third vehicle collided with the back of the second vehicle following the head-on crash.

A 47-year-old man (Glen Smoak) driving the second vehicle was killed in the crash with a 46-year-old female passenger in that car suffered serious injuries. The 59-year-old driver of the first vehicle also sustained serious injuries. Two others sustained only minor injuries as a result of the crash.
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

malabar

I had the privilege of giving him his red hat. I shared shoots,  meals and hotel rooms with him. And once, an evening of sipping moonshine. He was a great patriot, an enormous asset for the program and a fine man. I'll miss him. And I'm not the only one.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Charles McKinley

Prayers for him and his family.

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

rambo granny

A tireless patriot, a true friend. Never the same without your smile.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

alkeford

Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

Tennessee Beast

He was a good one, for sure!  Prayers to Christie and the Smoak family.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

B.C.

Some pics from over the years.
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Leadslinger66

Prayers for his family and fellow instructors!
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

rambo granny

Summary and Update on Christi . #1
Since not everyone got the updates, the shared info is summarized below followed by latest known info. Posting will be done on state board here to allow everyone who loved Smoak to get info.

News Article. No names mentioned but we think this is the report.
https://www.news4jax.com/traffic/2020/11/11/1-dead-4-injured-in-3-car-crash-in-putnam-county/

Shands Cancer Hospital at Univ of FL, 1515 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL

Unconscious. A fracture in Left leg was "set". Her broken arm is in a cast. Broken ribs injured her heart and required heart surgery.

Looks like a stroke is now affecting left side. Clot formed from heart injury suspected to cause stroke. She remains sedated with breathing tube although she is breathing on her own. She has a feeding tube.

Only the son, Greg,  has been allowed in room and must first go through elaborate gown, glove procedure to protect against infection before entering the room. Daughter, Elizabeth, has not been allowed in as the limit for visitors is 1 only and no switch outs. Family members and neighbors have been in a waiting area. Sooooo hard for them!

No info on services for Glen Smoak yet.

Check back here for future updates as they become known.

One of Smoaks close neighbors asked if the AS folks were going to do something to honor Smoak.
IMHO The AS cadre really should do something to honor...perhaps a 21 gun salute or a memorial similar to our April 19 memorials with rounds ringing steels (at proper distance). Smoak loved that!
Obviously we need a place that can handle it. A gathering of all instructors who knew Smoak at a central-ish location would be really special. If not possible, multiple synchronized memorial shoots at multiple locations. Take pictures or videos and post to share. Ideas? Suggestions?
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: rambo granny on November 12, 2020, 10:20:56 PM
Summary and Update on Christi .
Since not everyone got the updates, the shared info is summarized below followed by latest known info. Posting will be done on state board here to allow everyone who loved Smoak to get info.

News Article. No names mentioned but we think this is the report.
https://www.news4jax.com/traffic/2020/11/11/1-dead-4-injured-in-3-car-crash-in-putnam-county/

Shands Cancer Hospital at Univ of FL, 1515 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL

Unconscious. A fracture in Left leg was "set". Her broken arm is in a cast. Broken ribs injured her heart and required heart surgery.

Looks like a stroke is now affecting left side. Clot formed from heart injury suspected to cause stroke. She remains sedated with breathing tube although she is breathing on her own. She has a feeding tube.

Only the son, Greg,  has been allowed in room and must first go through elaborate gown, glove procedure to protect against infection before entering the room. Daughter, Elizabeth, has not been allowed in as the limit for visitors is 1 only and no switch outs. Family members and neighbors have been in a waiting area. Sooooo hard for them!

No info on services for Glen Smoak yet.

Check back here for future updates as they become known.

One of Smoaks close neighbors asked if the AS folks were going to do something to honor Smoak.
IMHO The AS cadre really should do something to honor...perhaps a 21 gun salute or a memorial similar to our April 19 memorials with rounds ringing steels (at proper distance). Smoak loved that!
Obviously we need a place that can handle it. A gathering of all instructors who knew Smoak at a central-ish location would be really special. If not possible, multiple synchronized memorial shoots at multiple locations. Take pictures or videos and post to share. Ideas? Suggestions?

It's tragic for the family and loved ones.  Everyone wants to do *something*... but what we can do right now is include Christi and her family in our prayers.

Talk to your SC and see what the Florida crew would like to do to honor him.  Perhaps a ceremony when Mrs. Smoak could attend would be comforting to her spirit.  Having fired more than one graveside volley, these happenings are to uplift and console the living as much as they honor the departed.

Let me know if we can be of any assistance in this endeavor as it unfolds.

Sad times, indeed.
MO
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

JustKim

I am so sad to hear this news.  It is such a tragedy. 

The first time I met Smoak was very early in the morning prior to a Ladyseed at his home range.  He was "griping" at me for not waking him up in the middle of the night when we arrived, rather than sleeping in our car.  We arrived later than expected, and did not want to disturb him and Christi.  The next time we attended an Appleseed at their home range, we made sure to arrive as early as expected and they had a room ready for us.  They welcomed, not only Chuck and I into their home, but all Appleseeders.  Christi is in my prayers for a full recovery, both physically and emotionally. 

JustKim
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

TheGunfather

My family and I were so sorry to hear about Smoak.  We're praying for Christie and their family.  We will always appreciate his dedication and passion.   Here is a photo of Smoak giving me my first Rifleman patch.

rambo granny

Love the pic. Thanks for sharing gunfather.
Chuck & Duke from the Hollywood Range posted on my personalFB about flying the "Appleseed Colors"  at half mast  under the American flag. They also ate cookies in his honor.

TomM1Thumb

"One of Smoaks close neighbors asked if the AS folks were going to do something to honor Smoak.
Obviously we need a place that can handle it. A gathering of all instructors who knew Smoak at a central-ish location would be really special. If not possible, multiple synchronized memorial shoots at multiple locations. Take pictures or videos and post to share. Ideas? Suggestions?"

We have a bunch of Locations and a lot of Instructors and Students That Knew Smoak. I think it would be fitting to do 21 gun Salutes, in Multiple places at the same time If possible. 7 shooters 3 rounds each, High power If Possible.  Oh Yes I do believe that Cookies, or Cake might be called for also.

Pray for Christi, and the Family. Please Rest in Peace Smoak, We will all try to Carry on Your Good works.

2 Pictures of the Day I made Rifleman, Smoak was there, He worked on My Rifle. Made it accurate,
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Savage22

What a terrible loss.... We lost a great man, and a friend of liberty. He will be missed.

Praying for the Smoak family and for a speedy recovery for Christi.

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power.
― Patrick Henry

Cold Warrior

Ana and I are stunned. We instantly bonded with Glen.
I love my fellow Appleseeders like family.
:'(
May God Bless and keep his immortal soul.

Prayers for Christi and the family.
(Attached are pics I just took at Hernando a few weeks ago.)
"The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of the Appleseed mission, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember citizens, that you are free men and women, fighting for the blessings of Liberty; that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like Riflemen." ~ GW & Fred

Cable___Guy

We must involve Bacon and Cookies.
My Favorite picture of him, from a Ladies Day event. He would do anything for people including wearing a pink Tiara for the Ladies.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

rambo granny

UPDATE on Christi Smoak. #2
This just in from family:
Mom broke her left metatarsal bone (foot) as well and it will need plates and surgery. They are continuing to monitor for additional strokes. There is hope that she will regain mobility in her left side, but she will most likely be partially blind in her left eye. She is still on feeding tube, breathing tube, and sedatives. She is slightly responsive to commands by moving her right hand.

Everyone please send your prayers for both Christi and the family.
Folks this new update is in addition to Christi's heart surgery, broken ribs, arm and leg.😢
Sons wife, daughter and her husband continue to remain in waiting area while son Greg is the ONLY one allowed in. Strict mask, gown and glove procedures are followed each time son Greg enters.   Very hard for daughter not to be able to see her mom. These four young folks are showing so much love with their vigil. Smoaks raised good kids!
Daughter in law has brother with apartment nearby. Appleseeders Jean and Frank additionally offered their nearby home for naps and showers for the family.
Don't know of any arrangements for Smoakingun yet

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

308LIBERTY

This makes me heart-sick. Love and prayers to the Smoak family and all those Glen's smile, sense of humor, and support have touched. This sucks.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Texas T

I really don't know what to say. I never met him but, after reading all of these comments, I wish that I had. It sounds like he was a wonderful person, and enjoyed life to it's fullest. I'm certain that he will be sorely missed, and we are praying for his wife and family.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Valkyrie7

Oh no! I made his name tag for him! Such a sad day. Prayers for his wife and family.
I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies. ~ Annie Oakley

Minutemom

It took me 2 days to be able to come here and write this.  My heart is broken and grieving the loss of a dear friend.  Here was a man who would give you the shirt off his back, a kind and generous soul who was always ready with a smile and a helping hand.  There are so many things I could say about him, but those who knew him already know.  Allow me to share some of my favorite pictures and memories of Smoak, who will never be forgotten.  He was like a brother to me.

My most fun Appleseeds were always with Smoak.  He was so playful and funny.  Our Gainesville cadre is a close-knit family and there will forever be a hole in our shoots where he should be.  We worked many Infernoseeds together! Smoak is the creator of our Florida Infernoseed patch:

Since Smoak did not have the courtesy to receive his red hat in Gainesville (sorry Malibar), we had to blow up his orange hat after the fact.  I think we did a good job:

Smoak loved to blow things up and don't even get me started about the time he blew up tannerite underneath an upside down wheelbarrow.  I think everyone who watched that video peed their pants laughing.

Smoak loved cookies.  And pie.  And donuts too.  This was the picture the Gainesville posse sent him when he missed a shoot in order to be at the NRA convention.  We made sure he regretted that decision:

The tiara!!  OMG this was the best Ladyseed ever!

One time, Smoak could not seem to get the safe rifle teaching straight, so we posted a reminder:

Just some random pictures:

Smoak, you had a big heart, razor-sharp wit, and you were one of the smartest people I've ever known.  And I know a lot of smart people  ;).  You loved liberty and you loved Appleseed.  You taught me so much, about shooting, about instructing, about how to talk to engineers ( ;D), and you were there for me with a supportive shoulder and a compassionate ear when I was going through some very tough times.  Always with humor and understanding.  I am so blessed to have known you.  I know Jesus received you with open arms, and that you are smiling down and watching over us.  You got to meet the founding fathers!  You're probably drinking an ale and picking their brains in a heavenly tavern. 

I'm praying for Christi, a faithful lover of God.  I know that He is watching over her and caring for her.  Please bring her through this trial with your grace Lord.

I miss you Smoak!  You live on in our hearts.

Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

mattra

I am utterly devastated at Glen's passing. For me, he was my best friend and like a brother. I met him at an event in Gainesville almost 10 years ago. I have the good fortune of living just 10 minutes from him which allowed me to spend quite a bit of time with him - time that I will never forget.

I personally cannot think of anyone who has done so much for so many. Even apart from Appleseed, he was a champion for the 2nd Amendment - constantly teaching men, women, and children to shoot at his home range. Someone on FB said something that I felt was very appropriate - For someone who wasn't a feminist, he empowered a lot of women by teaching them and giving them the skills they would need to defend themselves.

Appleseed memorializes people like Isaac Davis, and rightly so. I know none of us will forget Glen. He was an important part in many of our lives. I wonder if it is not too much to ask if something could done to officially honor his memory, possibly in a more permanent fashion. I'm not sure what that might be, whether a patch worn by instructors or a permanent mention on the Appleseed website - but just something that would endure for at least as long as the program endures.

I'm not really part of the program anymore so it might be out of line for me to request something like that, but if anyone is deserving,  I think it would be Glen. He did so much for so many and gave so much time to the program, I think it would be appropriate for it to give back in some way.

-Josh

rambo granny

So well said Joshua. Some awesome ideas...will check. Had it not been for Appleseed, we would not have had the enormous privilege to meet Glen or Christi either.
The first ladyseed in the state was held at their property with Trisha as the shoot boss. Quite a few happened there after that and there was actually another private event scheduled for Jan at their home. Obviously that had to be taken off the schedule.
Over the years, whenever SBs were short at an event and Smoak was requested, he went. There was a long standing joke about Bruce making home made cookies as a "bribe".  :1luvu :1luvu  Whenever Smoak showed up, it would likely be the equivalent of more than one instructor. If Smoak was there, everything would be alright. He worked so well with men, women, and children. Watching "daddy Smoak"  work with very fearful women or unruly kids was especially amazing. He was a master at convincing both students and instructors they could do seemingly impossible feats...not only at events but also in the grand adventure of life. Such a gentle Giant. Our brother. Our hero. He had beat a heart attack. He had beat cancer. We thought we had many more years to enjoy him. We were richly blessed to have had him in our lives. Humongous shoes to fill.
Attached photographic "proof" of Smoak at his property leading the pack in spreading hay he purchased for the first ladyseed event.  Yep, it covered so many mostly buried spent cartridges and made it "softer"  :1luvu