News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, ID, July 7/8, 2018 AAR

Started by Prescott, July 03, 2018, 01:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prescott

It is going to be a spectacular weekend at the Fernan Rod and Gun Club.

Weather is going to be in the high 70s to low 80s and we have 11 students signed up for the KD event this weekend.

Nothing brings a smile to my face like a line full of centerfire rifle firing 10 rounds in 55 to 65 seconds.   It is truly a wonderful sound!

I look forward to seeing everyone this weekend.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Snow Snake

I am so looking forward to this weekend.Meeting and making new A/S friends.
Flying "OLD GLORY" and the Appleseed message together.
                                                    :F
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

wstrngnnt

I am excited as can be about this weekend. Weather looks great. Hopefully 11 rifleman patches get handed out.

Mike AKA Bandaid

I'm looking forward to it. I'm worried I might not have enough ammo though. I'm only bringing 800 rounds of .223, and 880 rounds of .30 M2 ball for the Garand (as a backup).

Whatever will I do?!?!?

Serious question... is it better to have a 300 bsz, or 100 yard zero?
Known Distance Rifleman 07/2018
PNW Morgans Rifleman 07/2018
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

maxwell

Quote from: Mike AKA Bandaid on July 04, 2018, 04:23:21 AM
Serious question... is it better to have a 300 bsz, or 100 yard zero?

If you have click-adjustable sights, you're better off with a 100 yard zero and making elevation changes between stages, in my opinion. Just make sure you count clicks from mechanical zero and take notes (personally, I prefer to reset to MZ after each stage). Have fun!

wstrngnnt

Now I feel inferior. I'll only have 500 5.56 and 200 m2 ball.

My plan is to shoot riflemen Saturday with the AR, then try on Sunday with the garand. But we all know how plans work out.

Mike AKA Bandaid

Quote from: wstrngnnt on July 04, 2018, 06:51:20 PM
Now I feel inferior. I'll only have 500 5.56 and 200 m2 ball.

My plan is to shoot riflemen Saturday with the AR, then try on Sunday with the garand. But we all know how plans work out.

That is my plan too!! Buddy! Great Minds and all that.
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

Prescott

I am also looking forward to the weekend.

We will be starting at the 25M distance on Saturday morning to get sighted in, our 25M zeros (good for AR BSZ) and perform some drills to get ready for shooting at distance.

We will then move to the full distance bay and get zero for each known distance.

If you have time to come prepared with your 25M and 100 yard zero, that is great.   We will have plenty of time for the shooters to get this data during the event.

As Maxwell stated, it is important to bring a log book to record these settings and also record the environmental conditions.  We will have mild weather this weekend.  At events that can have radically changing weather, your point of impact will change due to environmental effects.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Mike AKA Bandaid

Quote from: Prescott on July 05, 2018, 02:30:01 PM
I am also looking forward to the weekend.

We will be starting at the 25M distance on Saturday morning to get sighted in, our 25M zeros (good for AR BSZ) and perform some drills to get ready for shooting at distance.

We will then move to the full distance bay and get zero for each known distance.

If you have time to come prepared with your 25M and 100 yard zero, that is great.   We will have plenty of time for the shooters to get this data during the event.

As Maxwell stated, it is important to bring a log book to record these settings and also record the environmental conditions.  We will have mild weather this weekend.  At events that can have radically changing weather, your point of impact will change due to environmental effects.

Should we bring a spotting scope?
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

Kimber Custom

Static firing line so spotting scope would be fine although seeing 5.56 holes much past 200 is challenging.

wstrngnnt

What are the dimensions of the black on the full size targets?

Mike AKA Bandaid

Quote from: Kimber Custom on July 05, 2018, 06:42:30 PM
Static firing line so spotting scope would be fine although seeing 5.56 holes much past 200 is challenging.

Ah, But it's more STUFF to bring to the range! You know i have to have my STUFF!!! Wish you were gonna be there Kimber!

-BandAid
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

Kimber Custom

The black is 26" wide and 19" tall.

The thought of dropping everything and heading out has crossed my mind more than a few times.

Mike AKA Bandaid

The thought of dropping everything and heading out has crossed my mind more than a few times.

You should have come, I'm not saying this class is awesome, but this class is freakin awesome! Let's just say that ya missing a good time Kimber!
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

Prescott

The thunder of Liberty was in the air at Fernan Rod and Gun Club last weekend.  Half the group was shooting .30 caliber with either an M1 Garand or a M1A.  I love the roar of those .30 caliber muzzle blasts.

We had 9 participants in this event and seven out of the nine shot their KD Rifleman. Huzzah!   Congratulations to Ken, Barry, Mike, Nate, Mandy, Linden and Al!

Six of these shooters were first time KD Rifleman and Al was a repeat Rifleman.  I need to post a video to YouTube for Rifleman Cadence and use Al as the example.   He is so smooth and consistent; just breath in, breath out and squeeze.  Five ring....five ring...five ring.  Al put up a very impressive score of 241 and Barry shot a 235.  Nice shooting guys!

Mandy shot her first Rifleman score at this event and earned her patch.  She chose the purple Yotnottin patch and that gave an opportunity for the Clinnon letter to be shared with the group.   Mandy also stepped up and accepted a blue hat as she wants to help AS grow in the NW.

I will get some pictures posted of the event today, once I down load them off my phone.

This was a memorable event, as the shooters were all very skilled and fun to spend the weekend with.   Look forward to seeing you all at another AS event.

Remember, their will be a second KD event at this range for November 3/4!

Rifleman

Thank you for the great instruction!

A good time was had by all.

Special shoutout to Al, who kept me in line and on line!

Nice to meet you all.

schoen

Quote from: Prescott on July 10, 2018, 11:02:43 AM
...Remember, their will be a second KD event at this range for November 3/4!

The website say November 3/4.
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qstate=ID&state=Idaho

schoen

Quote from: Rifleman on July 10, 2018, 12:42:31 PM

+1
And a special thank you to Barry for the loaner & rnds at end of day!
To co-opt an old ad slogan...You meet the nicest people on an Appleseed shoot.

Prescott

Does this mean you will be buying an AR soon?

Quote from: schoen on July 10, 2018, 04:20:33 PM
Quote from: Rifleman on July 10, 2018, 12:42:31 PM

+1

Prescott

Thanks for picking up that typing line error.   I guess I need to do ball and dummy drills with my keyboard.

I corrected the date in my post  :beer:

Quote from: schoen on July 10, 2018, 04:09:11 PM
Quote from: Prescott on July 10, 2018, 11:02:43 AM
...Remember, their will be a second KD event at this range for November 3/4!

The website say November 3/4.
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qstate=ID&state=Idaho

schoen

I should have mentioned this long before the weekend so we could have potentially worked this in...
I have developed a curriculum for the gun law portion of the Idaho Enhanced Concealed Weapon license ("Idaho Law on Firearms and The Use of Deadly Force").  I typically present it in conjunction with a full Idaho ECW class over here in western WA (I don't teach the other stuff - safety class and live-fire range class - I just handle the ID gun law portion).  But now, in the aftermath of our KD weekend, I realize I probably could have given my lecture to anyone interested while we were there and signed off on that portion of the ID ECW requirement for you (no, I wouldn't have charged, what do you think I am, a greedy lawyer?).
Perhaps, if I am able to make it to the November KD, some participants might be interested in having me do that.  I'm sure it would have to be cleared by corporate (ahem, Griff?).  BTW, there are only two kinds of people who are allowed to teach that portion of the ID ECW license requirement - 1. A specially trained Idaho cop (not me), and 2. An attorney who is licensed to practice in Idaho (me).

schoen

Quote from: Prescott on July 10, 2018, 04:25:20 PM
Does this mean you will be buying an AR soon?
Just because I didn't bring one, doesn't mean I don't have one, or two, or...

Mike AKA Bandaid

Quote from: schoen on July 10, 2018, 04:54:01 PM
Just because I didn't bring one, doesn't mean I don't have one, or two, or...

It was great meeting y'all! If you ever find yourself on the west side of Washington State, drop me a line! First beer is on me!
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

Mr. Clean

Thanks to all who gave their weekend to honor our fore fathers by becoming riflemen. It was very satisfying for me as an instructor to see such progress made by the whole group. 7 out of 9 riflemen is fantastic! Huzzah! Keep working on your craft, dry practice at home and get back to the range to see how you have improved. Hope to see you at the November KD shoot.

wstrngnnt

Quote from: schoen on July 10, 2018, 04:20:33 PM

No problem. Guns are meant to be shot, might as well let someone else do it every once in a while.

Beautiful weekend at the range, great instruction, great people. I can't think of anything else I would have rather been doing.

NateB

This east-coaster had a wonderful time taking a few days out of my cross-country vacation to shoot with some great people out west. Managed to equal my best short range score with a 229 at full distance, which I'm very pleased with. Found some action areas (*cough* seated *cough* to improve my scores, hopefully to go back to MD and pair up my new KD rocker with one of the fancy new distinguished rockers that my home state coordinator, BeSwift, helped spearhead.

Snow Snake

Thanks to the great instructors for putting a great shoot.Prescott,Mr.Clean & Border Run are examples for all of us.History and shooting seamless both days.
Also, I noticed the entire line was safety aware,enjoying the time and helpful to each other(driving,posting targets,encouraging).That reminds me to give a shout out to Barry for letting anyone who wanted to fondle..oops..shoot his Garand and ammo.
    HUZZAH to all                       Ken                      :F
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

Mike AKA Bandaid

What happened to the pictures from the shoot?
:pics:

Let's see them pics!
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

wstrngnnt

Beautiful weekend at the range
https://imgur.com/a/A0FcxKI

Great group of instructors and students.
https://imgur.com/a/eADysPl

A little garand ammo for Sunday.
https://imgur.com/a/ZnQZJTR

https://imgur.com/a/FCr875x