News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Overenthusiastic Newguy

Started by Ricochet Rabbit, February 09, 2017, 11:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyduckhunter

As Charles said trigger time is valuable. Whether it be a 22, high power or a air gun. The CMP sells the daisy single shot reconditioned for 105. (thanks Charles). Stupid accurate and a great training tool in your backyard or even in your basement. Your eye cannot focus on three things at once. You have to pick something. Pick the front sight! As far as number of mags go well I now have 7. I found it easier to charge mags at one time before a cof in order to keep more focused during it.

Ricochet Rabbit

It's the evening before Appleseed! So, time for a last minute update, and it's a big one. I went out and bought a KD rifle. That means that I now have a rifle for each of us (me and my two kids). So my son gets to shoot a brand spankin' new AR-15, and he is very excited about that. Unfortunately the scope that I ordered that was supposed to get here today didn't. They changed the delivery date to tomorrow at about 1 this afternoon. Sigh. Oh well, it WAS rather last minute. Anyways, so I had to take the scope off my bolt gun and mount it on the AR-15. Which means I am back to Tech Sites. Bolt Gun + Peep Sites = Rifleman not likely LOL. Either way, who cares, as long as we all have fun and learn to shoot better, and I am sure we will. Very exciting indeed. So, here's the new gun, along with my bolt gun wearing peeps:

I actually do like the look of those Tech Sites on my Ruger, but they are definitely going to put my eyes to the test. By the way, the AR is a Colt Competition CBA-16H from Cabelas. It's a very basic gun that was reasonably priced. And they claim MOA accuracy. We'll see. Eventually. As for now, I took it to the indoor range and got the scope fairly well sighted in while leaning on the table. It ran flawlessly for the 30 or so rounds I put through it. After getting the scope close, I threw ten shots into the 100 yarder offhand and managed a 48. Not too shabby I reckon:

Then I went ahead and checked the peeps on the Ruger. They were still surprisingly close. Then I did some offhand work with it and managed my best score to date, a 49. Heck, I may even shoot better with the irons. Well, realistically, those 400 yarders are illusive to my weak eyes, I have to admit. But I am looking forward to the challenge anyway:

So, here's to a good weekend of shooting. See ya'll in the morning.
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Rev.357

We pray this will be a safe and memorable weekend for all on site. With Corvette, you are in good hands. Pay attention to the instruction. Pay attention to what happens. We are anxious to hear the blow by blow in a few days when you have recovered.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

Ricochet Rabbit

Okay, so here goes, the wrap up for this thread. Hopefully I can remember everything.

So, the weekend started off chilly, in the upper 30's, low 40's. We began with a thorough safety briefing and moved immediately into a redcoat. Unfortunately, I didn't mark the targets, and now I really cannot remember which is which. We shot a redcoat in the morning and at the end of each day. I never cleared it, but I came mighty close:

After our first redcoat, we moved on to some solid instruction on the prone position and the six steps to completing a shot. We shot some squares after each block of instruction:

Then we talked about natural point of aim (NPOA) and did a drill wherein we practiced shifting NPOA and firing one shot into each square:

Next, we learned about MOA and sight adjustment, followed up with adjusting our sights and confirming our zero:

This brought us to the sitting positions and some practice, as well as the standing position and practice:

That wrapped up the shooting and instruction for day one. Of course, we had a great heritage lesson or two, as well as a wonderful lunch, complements of our hosts.

Back at the hotel, I noticed that I seemed to be grouping a bit low, which wasn't a problem on the larger targets, but was definitely causing me to miss the 400 yarders. Thus, after some cleaning, I bumped my rear sight up two clicks.

Day two started with another block of instruction on safety. Then we moved on to a redcoat (shown above) and then a lengthy review of all we had learned on the previous day. We also got some more details regarding the patriots who built this great nation. After some more practice squares, we moved on to instruction on the AQT.

We began with a practice AQT and I managed to get off all of my shots before time was called. I also managed an encouraging 208:

It seemed like I was tending high at this point, so I split the difference and brought my sight back down one click.

Then, for the first "furreals" AQT, I pulled off a healthy 225:

I followed that up with a 217 wherein I screwed up on the sitting and put six shots into the first target:

Next up, Jennifer and I swapped positions, with her shooting my bolt gun and me shooting a loaner 10/22 with a 3 power scope. That 10/22 shot great for me (another 225) and not having to work a bolt made for a more relaxed AQT:

Finally, back in my position with the bolt gun, I rounded out my AQT's with a personal best score of 231:

If I had to point out the most important factor for obtaining rifleman for me, it would have to be patience. And here's why. You get down in position and you just want to pull that trigger (well, I do anyway). Problem is, completing the six steps and getting a good NPOA takes time. If I rushed and didn't do my work, it definitely showed up on the target.

As to using a bolt gun, it was not an issue at all. I never failed to complete all of my COFs. However, if someone were interested in using a bolt action, I'd highly recommend considerable dry fire in position, working the bolt. The way that I personally manipulated the bolt was based upon a technique I had read about in Townsend Whelen's "Suggetions to Military Rifleman." Basically, I rolled the end of the barrel slightly (maybe 2 to 4 inches) to the right and down, angling the rifle as I went, while still keeping my face in contact with the rifle. This brought the bolt into range of my right hand and I was able to grasp it fully and run it sharply through its cycle. Then I rolled the rifle back up and, because my face was still in position, my cheek weld never really changed. This worked really well for me.

Tech Sites were a huge challenge. Depending upon lighting, I often found that I simply could not see the 400 yarders (my eyesight is not great). So, I aligned my sights, concentrated on the front post, and guesstimated where the target was based upon the overall geometry and spacing of the AQT target. This actually ended up working pretty well. None of the other ranges gave me this trouble. Regardless, while I am extremely pleased to have scored rifleman with these sights, I will probably go back to a scope moving forward. It sure did bring back fond memories of shooting my M16s in the Army though.

So there it is, I am a qualified rifleman once again, 16 years after leaving the Army. My next challenge is to coach Jonathan and Jennifer to their patches.

A big thank you to Project Appleseed for such an outstanding program, and to all of the wonderful instructors who participated this weekend. See you next time...
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Corvette

St8space,

It was such a pleasure to meet you, Jennifer and Jonathan this past weekend.  In all my time with Appleseed, I have never had a shooter prepare as hard as you did. And all that work paid off with your Rifleman scores.

My hat is off to you sir. As a guy that needed five Appleseeds to figure it out, I envy someone who got there so quickly.

Looking forward to seeing you soon on the Appleseed trail. Huzzah, we have a man amongst us that knows quite well what he is about.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!