News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Telling the History

Started by hogfamily, July 27, 2014, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfamily

Well I hope I'm not about to commit heresy...

When I was researching Samuel Whittemore for my first history presentation I spent several hours reading books, posts on this forum, and of course the internet. What I found was several versions of Samuel's story, most were similar with some variations such as how many bayonet wounds he received - eight up to thirteen.

A version I have heard at the  Appleseeds I have attended is Samuel's wife died sometime after April 19th and he remarried a younger woman and had several children before he died at 98 years old. I could not find that in anything I read. I did find that sometime years before April 19th Samuel was married to a second wife and had several children with her. (He had children with his first wife also).

In researching David Lamson I read that he was possibly Native American and African American, or Native American and Spanish, or just Native American or...(&c). I found him in several African American History sources that generally agreed that he was African American and possibly a freed slave.

I have learned that I will always research many sources before I do a presentation so that I present the most correct version that I can find.
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

FiremanBob

Hogfamily, you have written a more useful post for the instructor corps than you may realize. I have also noticed that when the story is passed down through "oral tradition" it tends to get embellished. There is even question about whether John Parker said "If they mean to have a war, let it begin here," as those words appear to have come from the recollection of Theodore Parker, his grandson who was born in 1807. Nothing in my research has uncovered anything about Whittemore remarrying, and that particular detail has not been told at any AS I've been to. To guard against that, we have to do our own research. Doing your own research also helps you be a better storyteller, because you will really own it and you'll present it with greater confidence.

Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

slim

Quote from: hogfamily on July 27, 2014, 05:50:25 PMI have learned that I will always research many sources before I do a presentation so that I present the most correct version that I can find.

How do you know which one is the most correct?

Big John

You usually take the information that most, hopefully all, sources consider to be right and use that. You don't use
the item found in only one of ten sources.

hogfamily

SWAG?

If the source tells the story a certain way like with Samuel Whittemore. -  The number of bayonet wounds he suffered ranged from eight to thirteen. When I tell the story I say "Several bayonet wounds". With Samuel's wife dying and him getting remarried and having more children after his "last stand" the only time I have heard that is at an Appleseed. I could not find it in any other source so I'm fairly confident that never happened. Most times the sources said that he had remarried several years before 1775.

As I wrote in the OP about David Lamson. I found out more about him in African American history sources than Revolutionary War sources.

When I am not entirely sure if the version I am telling is reasonably correct I will say something like "some stories say" or " some sources say".

One place I like to start is here:   http://boston1775.blogspot.com/

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

olefido

At several of the Appleseeds I have gone to, the most usual "mistake" is Samuel's age at the time and the age he was when he passed away.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

hogfamily

Quote from: olefido on July 28, 2014, 10:34:18 AM
At several of the Appleseeds I have gone to, the most usual "mistake" is Samuel's age at the time and the age he was when he passed away.

Even Samuel's ages are different by a few years depending on the source.

I have decided on 80 when he made his "last stand" and 98 when he passed. I base those ages on his monument.

fisherdawg

I feel we have a duty to be as accurate as possible while recognizing we will always have some conflict between sources.  Credibilty is essential in our History Telling if we are to reignite the Spirit the inspired Sam Whittemore. ^:)^

I certainly have experienced Fred's sincere and intense concern to "get it right" -- having been called out (in private) when I botched "Jonas Parker" (First Strike) as "Jonathon Parker" and after Fred point it out me with a soft voice in my ear that said "get your facts right."  ~~:)

In instances around 'simple' facts such as the number of bayonet wounds, it's my opinion the we should err on the low side, if we are to err at all. The essential 'big' fact is that Samuel Whittemore must have valued Liberty above his own life. Why else would he have gone to the fight?  We must not add or exagerrate anything in the story that upon subsequent discovery by a participant would (potentially) impare their inspiration.  It is this idea that leads me to refer to Luther Blanchard as 18 -- his grave marker indicates this - rather than as young as 14 according to some sources  :)

hf, you are becoming an awesome history teller and I'm glad you are in this program. Good to be on the trail with you and all the hogfamily O0
fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

olefido

Samuel Whittemore (July 27, 1696[1] - February 3, 1793) was an American farmer and soldier. He was 78 years of age when he became the oldest known colonial combatant in the American Revolutionary War (1775-83).

This is the start of his entry in Wikipedia. While I don't considered Wikipedia definitive by any degree, it is probably the source that a lot of people new to Appleseed would look to if they wanted to "fact check" us.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

hogfamily

I have a large photo of his marker, like I posted above, that I will show when I next tell his story.

asminuteman

Quote from: hogfamily on July 28, 2014, 03:53:25 PM
I have a large photo of his marker, like I posted above, that I will show when I next tell his story.

Kind Sir (hogfamily)
Bezon (shawnee for basic hello) (pronounce bay-zone)
You are receiving some great advice... but possible I can enlighten.

Twas not Samuel, but Hezekiah who' first wife  (Sara) past 6 months after thee event of 1775 19th, of April , to remarry thee following year to Suzanna (2nd wife).

David Lamson was a "Mulatto"  a term used to refer to a person who is born from one white parent and one black parent.  Veteran of thee F&I war, as a young scout, earning his total freedom, was so respected that he was voted captain on battle road.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

hogfamily

Quyana, (thank you in Yup'ik), asminuteman!

asminuteman

Quote from: hogfamily on July 28, 2014, 05:18:12 PM
Quyana, (thank you in Yup'ik), asminuteman!

Wohdoh nah
Sahwee Tehpeeloolah Kahnohchkay

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

asminuteman

Nathaniel Wyman shot and killed on Lexington Green that fateful morning was in Hezekiah's family, (cousin) ,
Just think of thee movation to go down the road toward Concord, after thee regulars,..... "Just Watch Me" ... as he was quoted.

Ammi Cutter (Benjamin) and the Old Men of Menotomy , who is Ammi?..... Hezekiahs brother in-law (cousin Hannah married to Ammi) .... And who is Ammis best friend?..... David Lamson ...... the circle is quite intertwined

enjoy

slim

Quote from: olefido on July 28, 2014, 03:21:29 PM
Samuel Whittemore (July 27, 1696[1] - February 3, 1793) was an American farmer and soldier. He was 78 years of age when he became the oldest known colonial combatant in the American Revolutionary War (1775-83).

This is the start of his entry in Wikipedia. While I don't considered Wikipedia definitive by any degree, it is probably the source that a lot of people new to Appleseed would look to if they wanted to "fact check" us.

Deacon Josiah Haynes was older than Samuel Whittemore. Not only was he the oldest combatant, he was the oldest KIA that day. He set such a blistering pace the young men could barely keep up with him.

You are correct most people will look up "some of those names they heard." I remember doing it after my early Appleseed events. I have a notebook with Sam ? in it. There are many resources out there for the history. Some is first-hand accounts (sworn many years later in some cases) and others are lore passed down from generation to generation.

We'll have people come out and tell us it was four grenadiers instead of six. Who cares? The main point of telling the history is you get the point across that our forefathers weren't couch potatoes who let their government strip all their rights away and you inspire the listeners to get off their lazy butts and get involved in the future of our country.

Strive for accuracy but, more importantly, tell an entertaining story. This isn't a college paper. Send them home with something to remember and activate that fire that burns for liberty deep down inside us all.

Like our shooting, this doesn't have to be a sub-MOA presentation. Get close enough and then do it again for more Americans.

Taylor

Quote from: slim on July 28, 2014, 06:46:49 PM
Quote from: olefido on July 28, 2014, 03:21:29 PM

Deacon Josiah Haynes was older than Samuel Whittemore. Not only was he the oldest combatant, he was the oldest KIA that day. He set such a blistering pace the young men could barely keep up with him.

You are correct most people will look up "some of those names they heard." I remember doing it after my early Appleseed events. I have a notebook with Sam ? in it. There are many resources out there for the history. Some is first-hand accounts (sworn many years later in some cases) and others are lore passed down from generation to generation.

We'll have people come out and tell us it was four grenadiers instead of six. Who cares? The main point of telling the history is you get the point across that our forefathers weren't couch potatoes who let their government strip all their rights away and you inspire the listeners to get off their lazy butts and get involved in the future of our country.

Strive for accuracy but, more importantly, tell an entertaining story. This isn't a college paper. Send them home with something to remember and activate that fire that burns for liberty deep down inside us all.

Like our shooting, this doesn't have to be a sub-MOA presentation. Get close enough and then do it again for more Americans.

Spot on! O0
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

olefido

I agree that getting the message out is more important than getting every small detail right. Hence, my remark on Wikipedia's accuracy rating. This is the kind of question that professional or very passionate amateur historians love to debate about but that the majority of our "target audience" is not interested in. No point in pole vaulting mouse droppings.

slim

I agree with you and I'm not trying to do that either.

Does anyone know if there's been any progress on the History Handout? I know it'd been ballparked a few times and in the works more than once but I'm not sure we ever standardized it. Having a form in the packet with the big names and places, timeline, etc., would be good for us to do because that would give folks a way to look more facts up on their own instead of relying on just Wikipedia or whatever they could come across with google-fu.

fisherdawg

Quote from: slim on July 28, 2014, 07:27:23 PM
Does anyone know if there's been any progress on the History Handout? I know it'd been ballparked a few times and in the works more than once but I'm not sure we ever standardized it. Having a form in the packet with the big names and places, timeline, etc., would be good for us to do because that would give folks a way to look more facts up on their own instead of relying on just Wikipedia or whatever they could come across with google-fu.

Yup:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=39698.msg285231#msg285231
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

slim

So is it being printed and shipped with shoot boxes?

FiremanBob

That history handout is very fine. I've been working on my own, which is a little larger (4 sheets, double sided). The completed draft should be ready in a week or so at which time I'll post it for comments.

I've been reading the Boston1775 blog for a while, and have it set up in my Morning Coffee add-on to load every Sunday morning. It is always interesting, and always uses primary sources so it's quite reliable.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

asminuteman

Quote from: FiremanBob on July 28, 2014, 10:30:52 PM
That history handout is very fine. I've been working on my own, which is a little larger (4 sheets, double sided). The completed draft should be ready in a week or so at which time I'll post it for comments.

I've been reading the Boston1775 blog for a while, and have it set up in my Morning Coffee add-on to load every Sunday morning. It is always interesting, and always uses primary sources so it's quite reliable.

*two thumbs up*..... Boston1775 blog

fisherdawg

Quote from: slim on July 28, 2014, 09:47:58 PM

No -- LibertySeed sent me some, but mostly I print locally.
Nero & dreamerofdreams & armaborealis worked on it, I think.
I'm Alaska State LibertySeed coordinator,
The pay is about 4 time the Shoot Boss rate.  >:D

fisherdawg

Quote from: FiremanBob on July 28, 2014, 10:30:52 PM

Ken, I'll be looking for your handout!!!!!  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

fisherdawg

Quote from: slim on July 28, 2014, 09:47:58 PM

Also, there are some who think another piece of paper distracts attention from the story teller and hence the story.

Me, I LOVE maps.
O0

George Hacker

Quote from: fisherdawg on July 29, 2014, 01:37:48 AM
Also, there are some who think another piece of paper distracts attention from the story teller and hence the story.

I agree with this sentiment. Handouts are a distraction and weaken the impact of the storytelling. The best approach would use large maps (banners or presentation) that would allow the storyteller to point at locations and keep everyone's attention. Providing the handouts at the end for attendees to take home would reinforce what they heard and give them something to remind them of the Appleseed experience.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

FiremanBob

My plan is give the history handout together with the marksmanship handout at sign-in. I very much doubt that students will pull out their history handout at lunch for the story, and therefore it will not be a distraction. It's a great take-home resource and souvenir (in the original sense of that word).

slim

What if we found a sponsor to cover a 4x6 vinyl banner map of battle road for every Shoot Boss? Maybe even someone willing to print all our handouts?

Would that help further our cause?

brianheeter

To the original post....

I think you have to consider the source.  Like one of the replies above states wikipedia is not the most reliable source.  It's not a bad place to start but you have to dig more if you really want to know what's going on.  My thought is that David Hackett Fischer is a respected and published historian, a professor at a respected university and he lets you in on his sources (original source material).  This beats the pants off of most of what is on the internet.  Any shmuck (did I even spell that right?) can put something on the internet.  And, despite what we've been told by that other dubious medium (television), you can put things on the internet that aren't true ("Bonojur!").

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

Mutti

Quote from: FiremanBob on July 29, 2014, 09:46:53 AM
My plan is give the history handout together with the marksmanship handout at sign-in. I very much doubt that students will pull out their history handout at lunch for the story, and therefore it will not be a distraction. It's a great take-home resource and souvenir (in the original sense of that word).

I've been including a Handout in the paperwork dond / Mrs. Sarah use. We tell them to "put this some place in your Range bag".  I do pull one out during History to remind them for any person/event they find particularly interesting the information is right at their fingertips.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)