News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD AQTs at Red Brush THIS WEEKEND (Impromptu Instructor KD Day)

Started by SPQR, October 17, 2013, 11:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPQR

Alright, here is the lowdown.

Mudcat has secured the 500 yard range at Red Brush in Evansville for Saturday.  We can occupy the range Friday night.  Camping is available.

I still have the D centers, pasters, radios and glue from the forlorn Atterbury debacle, so we are good to go on that front.  Everyone is welcome.  I see no reason why, at this point, we shouldn't invite friends and family that are competent marksmen as well to share the fun as long as they aren't goofballs and can keep up.

I am guessing that AB will probably stay north (though it would be awesome if they made it) so I will move into the SB position and Mudcat will run the line with me.  Since we just have it for the day I reckon we will just streamline it, keep instruction to a minimum, and just get comeups and shoot AQTs.  If folks show up sorted out I see no reason why we cannot comfortably get comeups for everyone and shoot 3 or 4 AQTs.  In addition, I suspect a large dinner somewhere with screaming, yelling, and accusations will round out the evening.

Respond here so we can get an idea for numbers.

huff

(PS- No, the ammo will not be free.  Brown and I discussed it and he feels that it would not be in good faith to use it outside of Atterbury.  CJ wanted to donate the ammo as soon as he saw our operation in June and we stated that it would be used by instructors at the base.  Brown is going to sit on it until we can get a reschedule date for CAJMTC)   
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

spitfire51

First of all, let's all give a big thanks to Mudcat for being able to throw this together at the last minute and salvage something out of the weekend.

I'm in, and as I said on the other thread anyone in the Indy area that wants to go I will be happy to carpool with.  Or I can pick someone up on my way south.

Do we need backers for the targets?  As I recall the range had 2x4 frames in the pits but that was it.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

SPQR

I don't know the answer to that.  Mudcat may need to respond.  I have some backer foam that is nearing retirement that may do the job.  I also have large paper to cover it so we can mark hits outside the D center.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Uncle Davey

Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

brianheeter

(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

Mudcat

I am off tomorrow I will get to the range in the morning to check and see abut the backers. I have lots of new cardboard I can use. I will try to get everything ready so we just walk on Saturday am and shoot.
I had to pull some strings to get this I hope we can make a good showing to let them know we do appreciate it.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

brianheeter

I will share my ammo with Kate until I run out.  If I remember I've got around 200 rounds of PMC 223A and 200 rounds of M855.  We'll shoot 'til it's gone.  :~

brian

philagothon

I'm in. I'm looking to carpool too.  We can take my truck.  The cab will fit four adults and the bed should hold our gear.  If someone has a more fuel efficient ride, I'm happy to be a passenger (mine only gets ~15mpg).  I'm flexible on leave and get home times.

ETA: I'm also definitely good with camping Friday and/or Saturday.

kate

I'm in, too. If I can buy anybody's extra ammo off of them, that would be great. I am currently in Hope, IN and that's the opposite direction for Rayne to pick me up. If anyone is close to Hope or passing through, can I carpool?

-kate

SPQR

get Kate down there and I am sure we will have ammo for her.

Right now it looks like we have at least a dozen counting the BC locals who have not responded.  I would love it if we could get 18 or 20 on the line.  Mudcat do you think the range would call that a good showing?

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

RifleBen

I will probably be there. As I am about 4 hours away, I'd like to camp Friday night. I could do that, right? My young legs would be glad to help set up targets, backers, etc.
"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."
                                                                             John 15:13

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

redbaron

Yes, Red Brush is on CST. It looks like sunrise for Saturday is 7:03am.

Unfortunately for me, I am out. For the same reason I couldn't make Atterbury, someone has to watch the kids this weekend and I've already made plans to do something with them. I hate to miss it as I thoroughly enjoyed the March KD event. You guys have fun.

Mudcat, if you need any help tomorrow morning, let me know.

Mudcat

Sunrise 0700 sunset 1810. We are in central time.
Friday night camping is great, I will be there and can probably use some help. I will bring firewood.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Uncle Davey

I'm in..going down Fri.if anyone needs a ride ..I can take one
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

techres

I have foam for backers if needed and the usual stands.
I have steel if desired.

grunt soldier

Man I want to come to this so bad but I would have to be back on saturday night for sure. 
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Rayne

Unbridled Liberty

Thanks for setting this up Mudcat, but I will see y'all next time at Atterbury.  Have fun and shoot straight.   O0

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Mudcat

I will be at the range tomorrow all day so I may not be on line often. If anyone has any question please feel free to give me a call tomorrow anytime. Tonight I am in class until 10:00 though. My number is 812 431 4087 call or text either one.  PMs on here are a pain to reply to from my phone so it may take me a while to get back via PM.

I will let SPQR give the start time but after we get in and I lock the gate it will be a delay for me to come back up and unlock the gate so please be on time or call to let me know you are running late. I think that is nicer than AJ says it lol. If you are coming in Friday evening let me know what time so I can be up around the gate you may have to give me a call though.

I know everyone is bummed as I was that we got canceled at Atterbury, but such is the luck when you deal with the government. I was finally going to make it to the famed Atterbury as a civilian, I have shot up there while in the NG. I was not looking forward to the full porta pots though. What I was looking forward to the most was the fellowship with my fellow instructors and sending lead down range.
  When I heard the event had been canceled I got on the phone to our club president and told him of our situation. He was sympathetic to our cause and said he would do what he could. Mike is a big supporter of Appleseed and was even a guest writer for Fred's column in Shotgun news a while back. I also called some of the board members to let them know a call from Mike may be forthcoming and to explain it myself to a few of them. Mike called me back this morning to let me know that we were good to go on at least Saturday, Sunday is still a possibility. I just do not have confirmation on it yet.

I knew we had 37 people to go shoot some KD earlier and that is what I told Mike. I knew some of the ones who were coming from the great north probably would not make it. I did hope that the ones from the southern part and central would show though. I have rounded up a few to cover the missing ones I hope. But we have to remember what we were going to do get together, visit with friends, laugh at SPQR, get a few classes and shoot some KD. We are still going to get together with friends, laugh at SPQR, get some learn'n, and shoot some KD. The only thing that has changed is the location, We still have 500 yards, pits, camping, room for 20 on the line. No free ammo, but really? Does free ammo make that much difference?

If ya can't make it that is cool, we will see you next time. But some of us are going to be shooting some KD and having fun, I hope you come join us. If you miss the big guns firing at night we have a train that parks close and the air compressor kind of sounds like a M2 50 cal in the distance.  :---

Not directed at anyone in general and I know it is a good possibility it will just be a 1 day event. But we will be shooting KD and that beats watching football any day.
--George Washington

Mudcat

Information on the range and directions for that have not been before.  There is a $10 range fee too, forgot to mention that. 
http://redbrush.org/
--George Washington

techres

Quote from: grunt soldier on October 17, 2013, 05:26:59 PM
Man I want to come to this so bad but I would have to be back on saturday night for sure.

Oh, you bet.  I have to be back before sunup on Sunday.  Most of us do.  Sure, there might be some after dark tracer fire and such - but come a reasonable hour most of us have to head back and get on home.

grunt soldier

a hour away drive on saturday I can explain to the PREGNANT WIFE.  a 2 day trip. well not so much.  I'll make you folks a deal.  you handle the crazy hormones for the next week and I'll take the heat for coming that way lol.  she was ok with Saturday a hour away shooting but the night before and the next day ect she is already complaining and extra annoying :) 

Real talk I may need to go back to Afghanistan to avoid the hormones again :)  I hope yall have a great shoot but it's not looking good for the home team here.  19 weeks and counting it down. 
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Rayne

brianheeter

If grunt soldier shows up then his wife will be disgruntled?  Makes perfect sense....

techres

Pregnancy:  The miracle that takes you back the school days ("duck & cover").

Been there, done that, hang tight.  We'll be thinking of you.

Pup

I will be there and will have enough ammo to sponsor an AQT for Kate.  I hope to make it out for a bit on Friday afternoon Mudcat.  I will be in early on Saturday to help also.

RBKL