News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

October 19-20, 2013 Camp Atterbury, IN Instructor Weekend

Started by AuntieBellum, September 22, 2013, 10:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Davey

I'm thrilled to be attending, it's my first time and with a rifle I'm not familiar with. Slim, you bringing a pigskin?
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

AuntieBellum

Guess who's flip-floppy, crazy schedule now says she has the weekend off???   ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Rimshot is heading in Friday to cover the deconfliction meeting and update his RSO card.  I'll be heading in early Sat AM with Stubborn Yankee.  We'll all be camping.   O0
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

grunt soldier

^^^^^^^^^^  this officially means no peeing in the bushes everyone :) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

yellowhousejake

Last call for rifle and attendee information. I close the list at midnight tonight. If you have not followed the instructions here,

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=35705.0

You have about three hours or so to get it done.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Pitmaster

If any IN instructors missed submitting info and not going to Atterbury, but has an Appleseed heart needing filled. The Niles, MI Appleseed just got word a boy scout troop is coming out for the weekend. We aren't sure what the numbers are going to be yet, but having a couple of extra people sure would help. Niles, is about 1 mile north of South Bend, IN. You can stay in the clubhouse (heated) if necessary and lunch is provided both days, probably Championship Quality BBQ. Its likely you can get some trigger time too. We also have KD out to 200 yards. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=37932.msg274259#msg274259
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

AuntieBellum

Quote from: Rayne on October 15, 2013, 12:06:07 AM
Quote from: AuntieBellum on October 12, 2013, 09:22:57 PM
Guess who's flip-floppy, crazy schedule now says she has the weekend off???   ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Rimshot is heading in Friday to cover the deconfliction meeting and update his RSO card.  I'll be heading in early Sat AM with Stubborn Yankee.  We'll all be camping.   O0

This weekend just got amazing!!!  Kate and AuntieBellum are attending!   ^:)^

Kate, did you know that we're in charge of bringing the amazing?!  How do I fit that in my gear pack with all of my other stuff?????   :sos:

brianheeter

A Coach bag?  On a rifle range?  That's worse than a pledge pin on your uniform!!!!  The only coach at Atterbury should be a shooting coach!

:)

(I'm not angry.  If I were angry....)
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

yellowhousejake

The instructor event at Camp Atterbury for Oct 19-20 has been cancelled due to the government shutdown. Please watch the forum for the next date to become available.

Thanks,

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

grunt soldier

custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Mudcat

I am contacting the BOD of Red Brush to see if it is possible to have it there. They have nothing scheduled on the 500 yard range this weekend. Will update as soon as I gear yay or nay.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Uncle Davey

Uncle Davey

Just heard that they got a deal done(Congress) hope we can still have it  :-\

techres

Quote from: Uncle Davey on October 16, 2013, 05:10:06 PM
Just heard that they got a deal done(Congress) hope we can still have it  :-\

Yeah, they finally remembered who to call.

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

slim

Pitmaster

GRRR, I hope it works out and can come back on. Since many of you have free weekends now...Niles, MI is having an event. Niles is one mile north of South Bend, IN. Pitmaster is BBQ'ing.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

RifleBen

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."
                                                                             John 15:13

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
-Theodore Roosevelt

grunt soldier

Omg. I keep checking this thread fully expecting to see the shoot back on. Can I call atterbury in the morning and ask since .gov is back open

hawkhavn

YHJ is our central contact with them, please let him contact them.
There may be an unfortunate delay between the congress' voting and funds in accounts where the .mil folks can use them.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

grunt soldier

Quote from: hawkhavn on October 16, 2013, 10:36:18 PM
YHJ is our central contact with them, please let him contact them.
There may be an unfortunate delay between the congress' voting and funds in accounts where the .mil folks can use them.

HH

I know the chain of command. I wasn't actually going to call them just expressing my sadness of it being canceled.

yellowhousejake

I spoke with Pauline in scheduling several times this week. She called me today to give me the news that she didn't think it could happen and after the deal was made the schedule cancellation email came through from the range management system. SPQR was also there today and gave it his best shot at begging and pleading I am sure.

Remember that they have to write the bill, both sides still have to vote, and get POTUS to sign the bill. I do not see that happening before the deconfliction meeting Friday.

But who knows. I will ring the bell if I hear anything.

YHJ

YHJ

grunt soldier

the way I understand it that all has to be done tomorrow in order to avoid "default" which is not really a default as our .gov takes in more than enough money every month to pay our outstanding bills and interest on said bills.  either way no worries.  I was just excited I had the day off to hang out with you fine Americans.  It's not often my buddy mudcat makes it up  north ya know :)   Hopefully they surprise us and let us shoot! 

spitfire51

While it's disappointing to have it canceled, as often as we've said that Atterbury shoots can be canceled at the last minute we're pretty fortunate that this is the first major issue we've had.  Let's keep our fingers crossed for a miracle somewhere.  If Mudcat can get us onto the big range at Evansville I'd be happy to carpool with whoever can make it down there.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

Pitmaster

Quote from: Pitmaster on October 16, 2013, 09:12:20 PM
GRRR, I hope it works out and can come back on. Since many of you have free weekends now...Niles, MI is having an event. Niles is one mile north of South Bend, IN. Pitmaster is BBQ'ing.

I just checked our registrations and we are at 13 with 10 boy scout walkons coming out as a group. The scouts are only coming Saturday.  Anyone want to give us an extra hand are welcome.
Pitmaster

NRA Endowment Member

SPQR

So here is how it happened for me.  I had to go to the base yesterday to get my RSO card re-upped (Call Range Control, if you need an aerial MEDEVAC you need to give the 9 digit authorization code but civ. units don't have one so just start screaming, downrange speed limit is 25mph, If you have misfires fill out an FM and TM and mark all rounds, etc...).  (By the way, I elected to skip the video, took the test, was perfect, and STILL found the mistake in the grading rubric, but there was a touch of luck involved) I was about a mile from the gate when YHJ called.  I was pulling in to RC by the time we got of the phone.  I immediately went in and started begging Pauline and, since I happen to be a ruggedly handsome and roguishly charming dude, I thought I had a chance.  I had no chance.

All base activities are cancelled.  ALL.  Because of the full cancellation I was told that, even in the event of a restart, activities would have to be rescheduled and approved, which would not be done by deconfliction.  I want to make this point clear, since it was made that way for me, this event has not been put on standby, it was CANCELLED.  I hope you can understand the difference.

From a functional point of view their concern is that their access to gasoline has been cut off, which means that Range Officers cannot patrol the ranges or access points to the impact area.  because they cannot do that they are not allowing any usage of the ranges.  I offered to purchase six tanks of gasoline, enough to fuel three vehicles for the two days while we would be hot.  I was told that wasn't how they did things.  I suggested it was how they COULD do things and how we should do things, by rational people making rational arrangements to the benefit of all parties.  I was told that wasn't how the government worked.  I, of course, had an inkling about that one. 

Though my charms are considerable and the fair Pauline was not immune to them, an event at the base this weekend would be squarely in the realm of odd miracles, and not the kind that are known to happen.

I want to apologize to everyone.  No, there wasn't much I could do about the cancellation, but I ramrod a lot of the effort that goes into this, goad people from far away to drop their crocs and come to the base, shame others into doing the same, and generally call people pansies for not shooting more .30cal and KD.  In doing that many responded and sacrificed time with family, work or vacation days, and their own sweat equity and treasure to be in attendance.  All of that kinda goes down the drain at this point.  I am sorry.  I was looking forward to seeing everyone together.  As the time when I can be a very active member of our cadre draws to a close and my involvement begins to wane I was really excited at the prospect of seeing us all get together to detoxify, relax, shootilate, eat chili and fart while it is still good outside weather.  Maybe events can conspire and we can do this very soon without massive upheaval in everyone's worlds.  Till then
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

AuntieBellum

SPQR - thank you for spearheading this event.  And thank you, YHJ, for doing all of the gritty paperwork.  The behind-the-scenes effort to running an event at Atterbury are nearly staggering (especially when herding the cats to send in their paperwork), and I thank you for the prep work that has now gone to waste.  As much as we wanted this, I'd prefer it be on instructors' time than students' time.  We are already Riflemen.  We will persist.  Looking forward to seeing you all on the trail again soon.

Caliper

Quote from: Mudcat on October 16, 2013, 03:35:28 PM
I am contacting the BOD of Red Brush to see if it is possible to have it there. They have nothing scheduled on the 500 yard range this weekend. Will update as soon as I gear yay or nay.

Waiting patiently...  Persistently hoping... 

Thanks for the valliant efforts SPQR and YHJ! 

Uncle Davey