News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

~

Started by Rayne, June 19, 2013, 12:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayne

~
~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

yellowhousejake

I've seen you shoot, I've seen you shoot multiple rifles.

You need to have a serious talk with Mudcat about his Savage Mossburg (Thanks Slim).
- Bolt action.
- Uses AR magazines
- Short stiff barrel, very accurate
- Seemed pretty light to me
- Looked like something you would enjoy

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

slim

Mudcat's was a Mossberg MVP. And yeah, Jake is absolutely right that it's the rifle for you.

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

techres

Oh, boy, Rayne, you just started a LOOOONNNNNGGGGGGG thread.  Bolts are great, love mine, awesome reliability, tons of great choices but I am more fond of semi-autos battle rifles.  You could master any of them, seriously.  All you would need is practice.  I would be careful about anything with a real high sight plane on it, because like Slim's scope on top of A2 handle, it would give your neck some serious pain.

Other than that you have a ton of good options:

AR15: Superb rifle, light, accurate, and as modifiable as legos.
AK: Superb rifle, not too heavy, less accurate, not great open sights, very reliable, and cheaper to shoot than most anything.
FAL: Superb rifle, not too heavy, accurate, slings 308 NATO, sights are not click adjustable but are peep.
M1A: Superb rifle, heavy, accurate, slings 308 NATO, recoil sharp, sights are the best you will find on anything.
M1 Garand: Superb rifle, heavy, accurate, slings 30-06, recoil smooth, sights are the best you will find on anything.
SKS: Superb rifle, not too heavy, less accurate, not great open sights, very reliable, cheaper to shoot and buy than most, not detachable magazine.
Mini-14: Superb rifle, not too heavy, ok accuracy, no real advantage over AR15 and more expensive mags.
Galil: See AK.
Tavor: See AR, but more compact design.

And there are many more like it.  The key to notice here is the one consistent item: most all are superb rifles in the right hands.
Shoot a variety, see what fits your body, buy one and then shoot the bejesus out of it.  If you want to try different things the instructors in Indiana can help you try more rifles than you could imagine.

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Ratchett

Quote from: techres on June 19, 2013, 01:13:32 AM

M1A: Superb rifle, heavy, accurate, slings 308 NATO, recoil sharp, sights are the best you will find on anything.

Rayne,

To my knowledge we have never met on the trail, so my comments come from what fits me. I have a Springfield Armory M1A and it is my go to rifle for anything on the farm. I find it very easy to shoot and carry. It can take a licking and keep on rocking out the ammo... takes a lot for it to malf.

Techres is spot on when he says try a lot of different rifles, the best way to find what you like and what is smooth for you. My only suggestion is the caliber... stick with the common military/Nato calibers. If ever the SHTF, you will want to be able to pick up ammo along the way just as Hezekiah Wyman did on April 19  ;)

Happy shooting and happy shopping!!

In His grip,
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: slim on June 19, 2013, 01:01:52 AM
Mudcat's was a Mossberg MVP. And yeah, Jake is absolutely right that it's the rifle for you.

I agree 100%. 

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/centerfire/mvp-series

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Charles McKinley

Another vote for the Mossy MVP! 

DeckApe has the varmint version.  Even with the scope that came in the package deal it shoots really well.

Mossberg has came out with several other versions of this rifle this year.

DeckApes does NOT like Magpul mags but functions flawlessly with the 30 round Brownell's aluminium mags.

There have been magazine articles on this rifle in .308 but I don''t think it is in production yet.

If anyone in Western PA /Eastern Ohio wants to shoot it let me know.  He likes to share.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

AAOptics

If you would like to borrow a AR to shoot at home and see if it grows on you let me know.

I keep hearing good about the mossberg MVP, but I have never laid hands on one so I cant say much about them.

malabar

EVERYONE ought to own an AR15. You can mix and match the pieces into anything from a lightweight defensive carbine to a 600-yard tack driver.  Tons of parts available, ammo, optics, etc.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Uncle Davey

Get a piece of history that you can shoot...the M-1 Garand
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

JV

Quote from: malabar on June 19, 2013, 09:48:58 AM
EVERYONE ought to own an AR15. You can mix and match the pieces into anything from a lightweight defensive carbine to a 600-yard tack driver.  Tons of parts available, ammo, optics, etc.

tk

i am with you 100%. i also think that everyone who can get one, should own an m1 garand as well. two distinct peices of hardware from two distinct eras. shooting either will help you appreciate the other more.
Quote from: ATM on August 14, 2012, 11:37:57 AM
It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

jmdavis

Whatever you choose, I suggest both good irons and optic.

Optic choices are limited for the M1, but if you are comfortable with the Scout concept it can be an excellent choice. It is not necessarily heavier than an AR, it depends on configuration of each rifle.

The Ruger Scout (or Steyr Scout) or many custom scouts could meet your needs. One of the great things about a forward mounted optic is the ability to use stripper clips (or enbloc in the case of the M1) for loading. Heck you can even build a lever action scout (pistol or rifle caliber).

The AR is a great all round platform. There are tons of accessories and configuring an AR with both optic and back up irons is simple. The drawback tends to be cost. It will  run over $1k by the time that you are finished. But it is an adaptable system and your base rifle doesn't need to cost that much. You can go with 1:9, 1:8, or 1:7 twist barrels which gives you the ability to handle projectiles up to at least 80gr in single load (ie. they will not fit in the magazine as their overall length is too long). A flattop a4 with removable rear sight or carry handle gives you the same sighting system as an ironsighted AR.

The only issue that I see with the Mossberg MVP is that you are stuck with a 1:9 twist barrel. This will likely limit you to 69gr and smaller projectiles but sometimes a 1:9 will handle 75's pretty well too. In .223, I believe that 75's and 77's are the way to go in a mag fed rifle that will handle them. They offer dramatically better performance than 55gr or 62gr and and are readily capable of 700 yard (and further) accuracy.

If you are satisfied with 1:9 and your primary use is within 500 yards, the model that I would look at is the MVP Patrol. It is short and handy. I do not like the sights (rear open sight and front fiber optic bead) but I believe that they are acceptable.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

JOEMORGAN

I'll agree with jmdavis...I think the Ruger Scout would be the ticket. I have a Leupold Scout Scope mounted on mine and my wife loves to shoot it. It comes with some stock spacers so you can adjust the length a bit.
"Man did not enter society to be worse off, or to have fewer rights, but rather to have those rights better secured" --Thomas Paine

"Humanity has won it's battle, Liberty has a country" --Marquis de Lafayette

"These are not men, but devils" --Colonel Francisco de Paula-Milan, Mexican Army, Camerone 30 April 1863

DEH

Mission drives the equipment.  Define what you want to do with the rifle and then figure out what you need.
-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

slim

Quote from: Rayne on June 19, 2013, 01:06:27 AMSlim's right as usual.
I can't wait till my wife sees this!

Quote from: Rayne on June 19, 2013, 01:06:27 AMWonder if he would let me shot it sometime???   :cool2:
If you even hint to Mudcat that you'd like to maybe possibly look at the rifle he'll have you a mag loaded and ready to go before you finish your sentence. He's that cool a guy. Just for FYI he had it outfitted with the Nikon P-223 scope.

He doesn't indulge in the sweet stuff like I do but he does like a fine cigar.  :cool2:

Quote from: Rayne on June 19, 2013, 01:06:27 AMAny suggestions on a semi auto?
AR-15 in M-4 configuration. You may not have liked it at first, but it'll grow on you. As others have implied, "It's America's Rifle."

The other choices are too big and too heavy. Sure, it's not too much to carry from the car to the firing line. But to carry 500 yards and back several times a day? And to carry the ammo too? The difference in weight between the .223 and .308 is your binoculars AND your water. Plus, there's absolutely no reason a Rifleman "needs" something bigger than a .223. All that talk about big heavy bullets and shooting out past 500 isn't what we do. Rack grade rifle, surplus ball - and SKILLS! - to make hits at 500.

For your first centerfire I'd recommend buying an entry-level milspec AR - and buy it used. Check the INGO forums or Armslist in your area to find a decent deal on one. There's no reason you should pay any more than $800 for one right now. Search a little and wheel and deal and you can probably get one for less than that. Pick up a few mags, maybe a Nikon P-223 (you'll like that scope) and you're all set. Under $1000 and ready for Atterbury next time. Huzzah!   

malabar

Here's an offbeat suggestion: The FAL.

It was once known as the right arm of the free world.  It is infamously reliable. I know of one that is still quite functional after having been buried, drowned and run 15,000 rounds through it without being cleaned.  DSA makes them with modern sights, folding stocks, scope mounts, and other goodies.

And it's full of 30-caliber goodness.

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

AuntieBellum

Rayne, I feel like you're a bolt-gunner at heart.  You spent the weekend with an AR - if you're not in love after that, it's not the rifle for you.  I love the suggestion of Mudcat's Mossberg.  I spent some time admiring it last I was at Evansville myself.

If you want to try the Ruger Gunsite Scout to compare the Mossberg to a .308, you're welcome to borrow mine.  10 round removable mags.  Peep sight.  I don't know when I'll run into you again, but I'm willing to pass it around the cadre until it ends up with you.  I trust you, and it's not like I ever have time to shoot it, anyway.   ;D  The stock sights are a little wanky, but nothing you can't handle with a hex wrench and a data book.   ;)
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

oladcock

Yep, you can't get anything much more user friendly than an AR. I never wanted a black rifle either till I actually put some time into them, now we have a house full and want more! :)....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

jmdavis

Quote from: oladcock on June 19, 2013, 07:52:07 PM
Yep, you can't get anything much more user friendly than an AR. I never wanted a black rifle either till I actually put some time into them, now we have a house full and want more! :)....O.L.

And this from a man that holds records with wooden longbows...  ;D
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

ThaiFighter

I've always been a big fan of the Ma Deuce...

I scored a 57,486 on my last AQT with mine.  O0
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

AFTERMATH

What ever you do don't buy an AR!
You'll end up liking it too much and sooner or later you'll have extra rifles parts and pieces coming out your nose....  And you'll be starting the next build before you finish your last one...
You'll start with a standard A2 or M4 configuration.  Well then, you'll want an A1, an A4...  Then of course you need to get the SPR going then the SBR.  Then you'll probably want to build the lightest AR you possibly can, as well as the heaviest long range rifle you can afford.  Next thing you know, you'll decide there certainly are circumstances where that 7.62 can come in handy.  Then you'll be jumping into the AR-10 style platforms!

I've gotta admit, while I always thought they were cool - I wasn't convinced on the AR platform until I started to see 'em left and right on the line.  While I've encountered plenty of shooters with AR malfs on the line.  In the end it always boiled down to:

1)  Ammo choice - Some do not like wolf. 
2)  User error - Usually this is number 1 in any malf scenario, however the AR is stupid easy.
3)  Improper configuration and/or modified op system - Essentially a mixture of user/design error - You get that sometimes when you deviate from the original design.

All that being said - I've been an M14 guy since before I ever shot a gun...  Not exactly sure when/where I decided that it was the best dang rifle ever designed, but it happened and when I finally got mine and shot it for the first time my suspicion was confirmed.  M1a - All the way!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

dronning

+1 on the AR platform I shoot an A2 ArmaLite NM for High Power competition.  I love wood guns and have an M1A (civilian M14), M1 Garand, 1903A3 & A4, Mosin, 6.5 Swede and shoot them in CMP military matches.   The M1A is the more accurate of the semi-auto wood guns I but they are more expensive to shoot AND much harder to make/keep as accurate as the AR-15 platform.  That's why the AR took over as THE rifle preferred for high power.

Barbie

Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

brianheeter

(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

Hop

So, a little history on the loaner rifle Rayne used.  It started life as a regular old Colt A2 20" H-bar.  I've only done a few mods to it.  At first, only a PRS stock, an RRA NM large pin trigger & a YHM free float tube with a sling stud.  It's pretty heavy, pretty steady but the PRS doesn't have the length of pull adjustment range of a carbine stock.  I used it at a KD back when they were scored for points and it shot really well using MFS steel case ammo.  Shortly after that I found a stripped Colt A4 upper and mounted the Trijicon TR-20.

I've had it since ~1994 and put thousands of rounds through it.  It's still a great shooter.

Rayne, you're welcome to try the 14.5" Noveske carbine next time.  Light, easily adjusted to fit you and just as rock solid reliable as the Colt. 

:)

Mudcat

Quote from: Rayne on June 19, 2013, 01:06:27 AM
I thought he had a savage?  Slim's right as usual.

Wonder if he would let me shot it sometime???   :cool2:

Any suggestions on a semi auto?

Absolutely you can shoot it sometime. I think I offered it to you for the KD event.  :cool2:  I absolutely love the rifle I like the bolt actions always have the MVP predator is light agile very comfortable to shoot all day, AR magazines. Only drawback is that it does not have iron sights, myself I can live with that. I am not a fan of the heavier varmint model, we have one of those in the household too. It just adds unneeded weight and bulk and a weird feeling stock that doesn't work for me with a sling.
Ruger Scout could be nice too, but the mags cost so much and aren't readily available. I am really not much on the .308 myself. But it is a nice compact little rifle that shoots well.
Anytime you're ready to try it out just let me know. It has been putting the hurt on the ground hogs lately.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Guntuckian

Without knowing what the mission is, it is really difficult to recommend any rifle over any other.  Varminting needs are entirely different than hunting large game than hunting small game than target shooting than self defense.  Defining the mission should be considered a necessary first step.  What is the tolerance to recoil?  If recoil averse, then a whole bunch also go away.  If needing more than 5 rounds to be readily available, then bolt actions start to drop out of consideration.  If needing ranges beyond 350 yards with accuracy, though, then bolt actions may be fine.  What are the planned distances that the rifle will be carried?  Heavy is not good if carried long distances.

Also, there are minimum caliber requirements for hunting large game dependent on local laws, that differ from state to state.

M1 Garand is fine for CMP/NRA, but FMJ available from CMP isn't allowed for hunting most animals.  If you were planning to use it for hunting, then reloading/hand loading would need to be in your future, too, if you select an M1 Garand.

Most authors recommend consideration of 6 or 7 rifle types for a flexible battery suitable for a wide range of purposes.  (Boston's Gun Bible, etc.)

If  close quarter defense is the mission, though, then an AR-15 would likely be good.  If interested in 600 yd. or greater ranges, though, an AR-15 won't likely meet the requirement.  Ditto for most semi-autos.  They are generally not suitable for longer ranges.

The average SKS is OK for 3-4 MOA.  The average AK-47 is OK for 6 MOA or slightly worse.  The average AR-15 is ok for 2 MOA.  The average lever action 30-30 is good for 4 MOA.

The average 30-30 lever action is ok for 6 or 7 rounds for use up to 150 yards.  And, it's light and easy to carry.

Be sure to consider the ammo availability and cost.

Determine the mission first, and the choices will start to narrow down.

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Rayne

~
~

Sly223

FWIW,
I think an M1A1, or back to the AR platform in a .308 or .223.
Not a bad platform at all just foreighn to you! ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!