News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Springfield OR, 3 new AS event dates

Started by Prescott, June 24, 2012, 09:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prescott

We were able to negotiate three new Project Applseed event dates with the Emerald Empire Gun Club in Springfield, OR.   EEGC has graciously agreed to host AS for more event in Western Oregon.   I am grateful for the willingness of EEGC to partner with Project Appleseed and assist us in spreading our program of rifle marksmanship and heritage to Oregon state.

The registration information for these events is now posted on the main Project Appleseed event page. The dates of the newly listed events are:
August 11/12
September 22/23
October27/28

I am looking forward to seeing everyone in Springfield in the coming months.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Prescott

The line is still plenty of room on the line for shooters at the Sept 22/23 event.

Sign up now and recruit your friends to join us as well.   We need to spread the heritage of our country with Lane County.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Prescott

The last shoot of the year is next weekend, October 27/28, and there are still a lot of spaces open on the line.   

You can come to Springfield and be done shooting in time to catch the Ducks game later that night.   Two great events in one weekend, what could be better than that! ^:)^

cptdondo

There's also a gun and knife show at the Lane Event Center that weekend....  It should be a fun weekend.  We still have room, good excuse to stop by Cabela's while you're here.   ::)

Transform

Even though the Register Guard is my least favorite newspaper, I was glad to find out that they had mentioned this weekend's AS shoot on the front page (D1) of Tuesday's "Oregon Life" section, as pasted below. I also heard that the range received some inquiries about the AS shoot due to this mention
----------

Outdoors Buzzworthy
By Andrew Greif
The Register-Guard
Published: October 23, 2012

Tree Plant

[...]

Pisgah Restored

[...]

Learn Shooting

Project Appleseed is a chance for families to learn rifle marksmanship safely and at a low cost this Saturday and Sunday. Learn to shoot with great accuracy while standing, prone and sitting. Lessons will be at Emerald Empire Gun Club, 36111 McGowan Creek Road, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For costs and info, call 503-686-9500 or visit rgne.ws/OXkWEq.

----------
(FYI, the short link in the article redirects to "NorthwestRegionProjectAppleseed" on facebook.)

George Hacker

Thanks for posting, Transform.  It is nice to know the press releases are not sent in vain.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

skiddyfisk

Wish I could've made it. I was actually up there very early that morning, but working and couldn't stay for the event. :[

Transform

Quote from: skiddyfisk on October 29, 2012, 03:51:07 AM
Wish I could've made it. I was actually up there very early that morning, but working and couldn't stay for the event. :[

We wish you could have made it too, but don't despair skiddyfisk, just come to a different Appleseed!
Here's the NW calendar:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27369.0
There are still other Appleseeds within an hour of Portland, on Nov 10-11 and Dec 1-2, plus more to come in 2013.
Please PM me if you need help figuring out the schedule, or if you want to attend the above but lack transportation.

Transform

The host range mentioned our AS shoot in their December newsletter:

Project Appleseed info, October 27-28, 2012

On the weekend of Oct. 27-28, the range held its fourth Appleseed weekend of the year. Appleseed is a
program that teaches marksmanship skills and American history. The course of fire is based on a
modified AQT (Army Qualification Test), with scaled targets simulating ranges from 100 yards to 400 yards.

Appleseed at EEGC is shot with .22 rifles at 25 meters. Most shooters use semi-autos to accommodate the
timed course of fire, although a few of us shoot bolt actions. Both scoped rifles and iron sights are
welcome, although Appleseed makes a point of teaching the proper use of iron sights, and recommends
aperture sights.

Targets are shot from the offhand, sitting or kneeling, and prone positions. There are slow fire and rapid fire
elements, with transitions and magazine changes. A perfect score is 250; if a shooter scores above 210 they
earn a "Rifleman" patch. This is a challenging achievement, even for seasoned shooters.

We had 13 shooters on the range that weekend. Of these, 3 shot Rifleman; Eric got the weekend's high score
of 233, Jason shot a 219, and Mark squeaked by with a 210, which earned him
"special" recognition. (Yan shot a high of 209, with the excuse that he was shooting his wife's youth-sized
bolt action with irons.) Jason is only the second 12 year old in the state of Oregon to shoot above
210 in an Appleseed event! More info on Appleseed at: http://appleseedinfo.org/

Course of fire: AQT Targets at 25 meters (82 ft)

10 rounds from standing in 2 minutes - possible 50 points

10 rounds standing to sitting or kneeling in 50 seconds with a mag change (load 2 & 8 or if your rifle doesn't
allow that load 5 & 5) 5 rounds per target - possible 50 points

10 rounds standing to prone in 60 seconds with a mag change (same as above) 3 on first target, 3 on second,
and 4 on last - possible 50 points

10 rounds from prone in 5 minutes. No mag change necessary, 2 on first target, 2 on second, 3 on third, and 3
on last - Double the score on this stage for 100 possible points.

Total clean score would be 250 points.

25 meter Appleseed targets

The target on the left is the 250 point AQT for the
above course of fire. The one on the right is the
"redcoat" target. You get 3 shots on each red target,
and one on the little square. The red targets count
only if you get all 3 shots in each target. The
rifleman patch is what you get; the blue and white
oval is what they give to shooters 14 and under for
showing up.

[image used: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=32644.msg243033#msg243033]