News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hello Pennsylvania, Check in and say hello.

Started by B9, June 21, 2008, 04:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

Hello Pennsylvania!

We now have our own section to pass on ideas, tips and leads.
At a state level as of now we have three main objectives.

1. Promote the Appleseed events already scheduled in and around the state.

2. Recruit more people into the program.

3. Locate and arrange future Appleseed events within PA.

If we do number one, number two will be easy, and number three will be easier.

Ed
Owego NY on the PA boarder
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

kDan

kDan checking in, saying "hello".  My retreat is in the Norhteastern, Lake Wallenpaupack area.  Anybody wanna make a trip to one of the local public ranges, send me a "pm".  I'm there as much as possible.

Today, I'm off with a folder full of flyers to visit every gun shop I can find.

Pennsylvania's got a lot of shooters - good shooters - but sighting in from a bench one October Saturday every year does not a Rifleman make.

Love to cook up the results though, with a little vinegar and some mint leaves.

COME TO THROOP!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

B9

OK PA, I can not hear your over the crickets. So you don't want to commit to helping Appleseed in your state. I understand the worry of getting to involved and then having to back out. Lets do this; for this weekend you post some pro Appleseed information on a few web forums here and there. Just copy and paste some event info from this site with http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/ as a link. Come Monday or Tuesday perhaps Deolexrex will honor us with the results of your posts.

There you have it, no names, no faces, no commitment. Think of it as a one night stand with Lady Liberty.

I'll bet you call her the next day.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

Good morning PA! Nice to see you all here.

I shall leave you one short thought for the day. A quote from Mark Twain of all people, a man whos home town is 30 miles from me right now. Read it and think about who you are and what you are doing.

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scored. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

Prosit!
Medea Benjamin

B9

Wow! You folks in PA drive a hard bargin.

What more can I offer you?

Freedom, Liberty, Comraderie, a place in History? Three of those can not be guaranteed, one is a sure bet.
Medea Benjamin

lprgcfrank

Frank here - attended the Appleseed shoot 2 years ago at LRGC led by Fred!
participate in monthly appleseed style shoots at Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club (LPRGC)
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

lprgcfrank

forgot to mention I'm also an NRA certified instructor for rifle, shotgun, basic pistol and personal protection in the home.
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

kDan

So Frank, you comin' to Hartford this week-end?
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

lprgcfrank

Quote from: kDan on August 20, 2008, 12:51:57 AM
So Frank, you comin' to Hartford this week-end?

Sorry but no - I just found this site from a link on www.pafoa.org and was not aware of the Hartford event.

B9

Welcome,

But you are coming to Allemans in Sept, right? I would imagine you also can't wait to start helping bring Appleseed to more PA locations, right?
What post on PAFOA caught your eye? It may help with further internet posting operations.

Ed
Medea Benjamin

kDan

That's Ed for ya.  Always working. 
Keep it up man.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

lprgcfrank

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictures-24/27528-m1-garand.html  was the post on PAFOA. 

Not sure about Alleman's shoot yet - I mostly work out of state (TX, OH and VA) and I don't know my schedule yet.

The reason I posted was to see what I can do to help expand the Appleseed program. 

We have an appleseed program at LPRGC that runs a monthly shoot - but it's limited to members (and their guests) by range rules.

lprgcfrank

Can't do Alleman's - I'm in a 3 gun competition at LRGC on the 6th.

B9

Quote from: lprgcfrank on August 20, 2008, 12:13:05 PM
http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictures-24/27528-m1-garand.html  was the post on PAFOA. 

Not sure about Alleman's shoot yet - I mostly work out of state (TX, OH and VA) and I don't know my schedule yet.

The reason I posted was to see what I can do to help expand the Appleseed program. 

We have an appleseed program at LPRGC that runs a monthly shoot - but it's limited to members (and their guests) by range rules.

PM me an address and I can get some promotional stuff out to you. One big thing we need help with is postings on other internet forums to help bring motivated people into the AS program. People to scout out suitable ranges and get a foot in the door for more shoots is needed also. Someone like yourself that has the credentials and can walk the walk is a big plus.

By the way that original poster on PAFOA sure has some nice rifles. I trust he is learning how to use them properly.
Medea Benjamin

lprgcfrank

address PM'd -

Glad to help out with publicity where I'm active - I do most of my postings on
www.pafoa.org - Pennsylvania Firearms Owners - mostly with open carry of firearms in PA - there is a training and competition posting area
www.opencarry.org - national open carry of firearms - they do permit rifle and training posts there
www.defensivecarry.com - national regarding defensive carry and use of firearms - they have a rifle/shotgun section
www.glocktalk.com - international - they have a training and competition area

I occasionally post on www.ar15.com

Let me know what messages need to get out and when.

Hard for me to do range scouting right now since I mostly work in other states

B9

This may interest you and others on PAFOA.....

This is a reply to my Appleseed inquiry on an internet forum by none other than Massad Ayoob.

"B964: I've been wanting to attend an Appleseed event for a long time, am hoping I can coordinate the one in Hernando, FL after I shoot the IDPA Nationals in a couple of months."

I bet a couple people have heard of and him, no? Point being we can spark interest by letting people  know that some of the movers and shakers of the gun culture are into AS.

Medea Benjamin

lprgcfrank

Cool - I've been reading Mas for years - it'll be nice to finally meet him.

I'm going to be one of the Safety Officer at the IDPA nationals and I'm also working set up. The Match Director (Ted Murphy) is a friend.  I'm sure I can get literature in all the participants bags if that would be OK.  I can also do some color printing of materials on my work printers (up to 150 pages without causing a stink) if you have PDF's or something I can print from my computer.

B9

Tons of good stuff here http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=2164.0

If it did not say it before WELCOME. GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE!
Medea Benjamin

burf151

New guy from PA checkin' in.  Hope to make it to the next Appleseed shoot here in PA.  Time to blow the cobwebs out of the M1A, and I'm building up a 10/22 trainer.  Hope to hear from some PA shooters!

B9

Welcome!
What general area are you in?
PA is in need of some help getting some ranges online for Appleseeds. As of now the next one in PA will be at Reade Range in Allemans, near Altoona.
Medea Benjamin

PA_Sub

Hello all. I am a new member from the Pittsburgh area. I just joined the RWVA when I registered for the April AS in Allemans, PA. I have been shooting CMP for 6 years and am looking forward to this. Based on what I have read so far, this looks like exactly the kind of organization I have been searching for. If there is anyone else from SW PA let me know.

B9

Welcome! You have come to the right place.
Some promotional/informational material will be heading your way.

Ed
Medea Benjamin

kDan

Burf and Pa sub,

I live in NE PA.  Lake Wallenpaupack area.  I'm kind of known as a NYer on the forum because that's where I work and spend a lot of my time, but the not so well-kept secret is that I'm not exactly your typical city-boy.  I was an instructor at Allemans this fall and will most likely be working any shoots we manage to set up in Pennsylvania this upcoming year.

I look forward to meeting any and all PA shooters.  I have been working with b964 on a regular basis this past year and can testify that he is doing more than his share to help the program along.  I, for my part, have made 12 Appleseeds in the last 10 months, and although I do look forward to a bit of a slower time through the colder months, I know that the most important thing is to keep finding people to help out.  We are under-staffed in a big way.  It's a lot to expect of people to volunteer and give time, but as you hinted at, Pa sub, this is a program for true-believers, so those involved seem especially committed.  Anything I can do to help you guys figure out what needs to be done, please send me a personal message, or reply here.  B964 has a lot to do, so if I can help take a bit of the load off his shoulders, I am only too happy to do so.

You might want to consider a Rifleman's Boot Camp.  I believe there's one coming up in February.  I went last year and really got a jump-start out of it.  Plus it's a really good time.

Pennsylvania holds a particular set of challenges for AS.  Being one of the more well-armed states in the union and possessed of public ranges all over the state, locals seem to, if not take their rights for granted, then at least to consider themselves personally to be well-versed in the exercise of these rights.  The Appleseed system of instruction is good for all shooters, even those who may be somewhat accomplished already.  I will say, however, that bending over a scoped, benched rifle twice a year at a public range, does not a Rifleman make.

thanks guys.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

vpasa5

Hello, New to this board, !st time on any board live in mercer pa just bought springfield M1a love it and would like to shoot in competions. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated..

B9

Welcome!

Mercer, huh? That funny because that is right where I was looking to schedule another Appleseed shoot. Your probably a member at the local range I am looking at.

Spend some time poking around the forum, there is alot of great information here. Order up Fred's Riflemans guide and target package, and get to an Appleseed shoot ASAP.

Your first competition shoot needs to be against yourself. How can you outperform you. How can you improve yourself, your friends, family, state, country. Sounds overwelming? Nah, piece of cake. You have every Rifleman in the country ready to work together with you.

Read    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1660.0    and don't forget     http://appleseedinfo.org/blog/
Medea Benjamin

kDan

I took three friends to a public range near Gouldsboro over the weekend.  The place was pretty crowded and the way we ran through semi-AS courses of fire drew some attention.  I handed out some info and talked up the program.

The most interesting thing was the discussion I had with one of the Game Comission Officers on site.  They were all over the place in the morning, but then disappeared after about 11. 

I will be contacting the regional office in Dallas, PA about reserving this particular range for an event in the spring/summer/whenever.  This range is better set up for our purposes than the one I usually go to.  Wide-open spaces.  The officer said we might even be able to swing camping as long as it's not hunting season as the ranges are on state land and most of the property is good to go for tents off-season.

I figure I'll start with an e-mail.  B-9 can you send me something if you got it.  You know, the usual run-down... 

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

mooney

Hey there PA,

Nice forum and group. Happened upon it by way of the pafoa.org site. This is definitely a place I'd like to spend some time. I haven't shot a rifle for 10 years. Spent 8 years in the Army National Guard shooting a M16, but nothing rifle oriented since. I do shoot a shotgun for fun at the local block shoots and just picked up a handgun and will be getting familiar with that in short order. I'm working on getting a M1 Garand and M1 Carbine (maybe a few of each) through the CMP before the political situation blocks me with the next Gun Ban. I'm kind of a WWII buff so I hope to have a good collection of M1 rifles soon. I'm looking for some instruction so I can shoot expert with an M1 like I did with the M16. I enjoy range shooting, but not much of a hunter. It's not my thing. I believe we all need to be ready for that next April 19th if the situation calls for it. Looking forward to the event in April, I'm about a 2.5 hour drive from the range. I'm centrally located between Harrisburg, Carlisle, and York not far from Gettysburg. I just joined the local shooting club, West Shore Sportsmans Association, which also has CMP shooters as well. There are a few ranges in the area and my town has a range on the state game lands about 10 minutes from my house. I'm up for helping in any way I can once I get up to speed with all the Appleseed information here on the website. Any suggestions or information you can forward/suggest to me would be much appreciated. Looking forward to meeting everyone eventually in person at a shoot.

Mooney
Dillsburg,PA
Mooney

B9

Glad to have you here Mooney. Yes, spend some time reading up on Appleseed, and think about how you can best help out.

Read this...http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1660.0

and this...http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=2015.0

and this...http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=904.0

There are many other excellent posts here, but those three "nut shell" it for me.
A real Rifleman.... is not flippant, asks him/herself to do more, builds a team around him/herself.

Is Appleseed building rifle teams all over the country? No. Appleseed is building teams of Riflemen all over the country.
PM me an address and I can send you some promotional material. Order up Fred's Rifleman guide and target package.
The service grade Garands are the best deal in my opinion.
Medea Benjamin

mooney

I've started to wake up ;-)

I'm getting involved with 4 local clubs and showing up for informal shoots with members of these clubs and members of pafoa.org. For now I will start promoting with the information you have given me and drive interest at the shoots I'm attending. I'll then start a campaign at the 4 clubs to have a mini-appleseed next year as well as get folks to the Reade's Range Appleseed. I am assuming I need to find an Appleseed instructor before scheduling a mini-AS right? I'm also going to leave a bunch of the materials at the Harrisburg Gun show on Dec 13/14 if they will let me. MY wife and mother in law are also interested in getting the word out (maybe learn to shoot as well) after reading the SWAT article. It's going to be a family affair now :-D

I hope I'm on the right track so far and looking forward to helping even more as I learn.

Thanks,

Mooney
Mooney

kDan

Mooney,

I am extremely interested in helping Pa get on the trail, and would be happy to help you with a mini or anything else you get going.

It would be easier for me if the event were in the Eastern half of the state.  Where are the ranges we're talking about?

Dan
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout