News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cloverdale/RHIT Student 'Seed - May 5th, 2012

Started by slim, April 25, 2012, 10:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Riflemen,

The challenge was issued and many have answered the call. Upwards of 30 young men from Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology will be joining us on the line at the Cloverdale Conservation Club on May 5th for a special one-day Student Seed event.

We'll need volunteer Instructors and a bunch of loaner rifles.

Please post here if you'll be joining us and if you have loaner rifles available.

Instructors -
SB - slim
RH - Ratchett, GoldFish
IIT - Bull13, Brown, brianheeter, philagothon
AC - Christalynn

Brown

Believe we came up with 40+ loaners when the call first went out. this should not take long to get 19 more

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=28584.0
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

Ratchett

Answering the call as a RH

Ratchett- 3 loaners at least
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Brown

Since I am going to work this event offering to transport any loaner rifles. If you can get them to my home (or real close) before friday evening I will take them to the event and make arrangements to get them back to you after Sunday.

West side of Indy in Brownsburg. If oyu want to send rifle with me shoot me a PM and will get you my address

spitfire51

Quote from: Brown on April 25, 2012, 11:17:28 AM
Since I am going to work this event offering to transport any loaner rifles. If you can get them to my home (or real close) before friday evening I will take them to the event and make arrangements to get them back to you after Sunday.

West side of Indy in Brownsburg. If oyu want to send rifle with me shoot me a PM and will get you my address

You can borrow my two rimfire rifles if needed.  I can bring them to you Thursday or Friday morning.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

hawkhavn

Yellowhousejake already has most of this nailed down.
HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

yellowhousejake

Quote from: hawkhavn on April 25, 2012, 10:15:53 PM
Yellowhousejake already has most of this nailed down.
HH

All except the delivery mechanism. Slim can't see the thread, but here was the final count. Just need to get them all corralled. I can still provide the place to gather them up, but I will need to make a delivery before the fourth as I will be in Lake Village SB'n.

I would suggest Brown be the new gather-upper. He is as centrally located as me and likely a bit more trustworthy.

YHJ

3 - YHJ
2 - TR
2 - SPQR
2 - HH
4 - AB
5 - Brown
2 - ATM
3 - stschil
2 - Spitfire
1 - DaveD
1 - Pvt. Edward 'Babe' Heffron
1 - Nwieng
2 - BrianHeeter
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

slim

So..... all I need to do is show up. You guys are awesome!

-:) :---

SPQR

tater put together 4 10-22s just for loaning out as seedin rifles.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

GoldFish

I'll be there and will bring a 10/22, though it already looks like you'll have enough LTR's!

Quote from: slim on April 26, 2012, 12:11:56 AM
So..... all I need to do is show up.

So long as you're still rockin' that -:) !
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

midridg

The guys here from Rose-Hulman are getting really excited about Cloverdale on May 5th, we have Appleseed posters all around campus and a growing group of really interested guys. Thanks to all the instructors for putting this on for us!
Pay the Price of Success in Honest Effort.

philagothon

My wife, Christalynn (AC-RSO), and I will be there.  We're bringing at least two rifles and trying to corral some more.  I can pick up rifles near Bloomington.

DaveD

My rifle went down last Cloverdale shoot.  Parts are Back-ordered.

DD
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

grunt soldier

man I wish I could make it.  if you guys are short a rifle or two, let me know.  I can meet up with someone before hand. 
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

spitfire51

So a couple random thoughts that popped into my head last night:

-For those that are loaning out rifles (especially those who may be entrusting them to Brown beforehand) don't forget to include at least two magazines per rifle, and depending on how many we have that use tech-sights, it would behoove us to also have as many sight adjustment tools on hand as possible

-I know we talked in the xp-80 thread about eyes and ears, but what are we doing for ammo for those attending the event?
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

techres

Iffin y'all need ammo donated, say so.  Federal .22 bulkpacks are just a drive to walmart away.  One per student will do just fine.  I have other .22 I could donate too.

O0
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Brown

GREAT
Poor old Mr Brown always appreciates donations to my cause

Feel free to bring as much as I can shoot up ;D

techres

Quote from: Brown on April 29, 2012, 06:28:40 PM
GREAT
Poor old Mr Brown always appreciates donations to my cause

Feel free to bring as much as I can shoot up ;D

My ammo is for students.  Poor students.  Poor destitute students who know slim.  Or slim.  But only if he still has the hawk.

philagothon

Do we have an identification system in place so that everyone gets their own equipment back?  Different colors of duct tape for each Instructor's equipment maybe?  Are the students bringing their ammo or do we need to plan on supplying?  How much ammo does one go through in a 1-day 'Seed?  I've never been to a 1-day event.  Do we still stop at 4-5PM or shoot until we can't see the targets?

Sorry for all of the questions.  I'm looking forward to this shoot and want to do all I can to help it be successful.  Btw, my niece eagerly loaned me her pink 10/22, but said she wants pics of whichever guy uses it.  ;D

hawkhavn

Ummm, Rose has been co-ed for a decade or more...   :)

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Brown

Philagothon

I am asking that anyone who drops off their rifle at my place for transport does just that. some type of id on rifle,case, mags,accesories, anything that can be removed. even making up an inventory list. that way if they are not going to the event and I need to get everything back have a list to work off so all items get back to owners.

Niece had a great idea of using colored dots you see used at garage sales. put your initials on them or a number sequence/code of some sort.

this many loaners organization is going to be a must

philagothon

Two words: STAPLE GUNS! How are we on them? I only have one at the moment, but will try to round up a couple more.  I figure we need ~10-15 and a bunch of staples.

Brown

only have one staplegun here but just loaded up on staples

Slim- any word if the students need ammo or bringing their own?

yellowhousejake

Two 10-22s with slings and mags
Six headsets
Four safety glasses
Six staple guns
One box of staples

All marked with fluorescent pink tape. I will deliver to Brown tomorrow evening. Brown, where do you want to meet? Anywhere between your font porch and mine is good for me.

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

slim

NO AMMO NEEDED! They are bringing ammo.

I sent a PM to anyone who is working this event. If you weren't attached, let me know, I'll forward it to you. Basically, bring all the regular crap you'd bring to an event (mats, eyes/ears, etc.) and WRITE YOUR NAME ON IT!!!!

The event will be from 7:30 till 5:00 for all volunteers. We'll try to shoot all the ammo they bring. This is going to be a "fun" event - an exhibition!

I'm surprised nobody has asked.... are we doing KD?

yellowhousejake

Quote from: slim on May 02, 2012, 01:21:13 AM

I'm surprised nobody has asked.... are we doing KD?

Ask?  Appleseed always teaches KD if the facilities allow. Cloverdale's facilities are great for 100 yd 22LR KD. Tell SPQR to bring his steel.

YHJ

YHJ

Brown

YHJ
will call you as I cross back into IN and arrange a meet up location on thur evening.

Someplace on the east side of Indy would work best for you yes?

techres

Quote from: slim on May 02, 2012, 01:21:13 AM
NO AMMO NEEDED! They are bringing ammo.

Roger.  Will restore it.

QuoteI sent a PM to anyone who is working this event. If you weren't attached, let me know, I'll forward it to you. Basically, bring all the regular crap you'd bring to an event (mats, eyes/ears, etc.) and WRITE YOUR NAME ON IT!!!!

Roger.  How many sets total?  We got a ballpark on students?

QuoteThe event will be from 7:30 till 5:00 for all volunteers. We'll try to shoot all the ammo they bring. This is going to be a "fun" event - an exhibition!

They are gonna have a ball!

QuoteI'm surprised nobody has asked.... are we doing KD?

You'd better!  22lr at 100 is a hoot! 

GoldFish

Having not every been to the Cloverdale range, what kind of facilities are on-site?  Club-house?  Etc.?
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

midridg

25 guys have confirmed and are  signed up as of now, and I think the activities board is giving us $500.00 for this event for all the shooter's ammo and lunch. This is turning into a pretty big deal on campus. I was able to set this up as a "Residence Hall Education" event and was actually only able to offer the event  to roughly 90 students in one dormitory. So right now we have about a third of everyone in that dormitory excited and pumped for this event. Hopefully this can be a yearly thing with maybe more guys next year..? Thanks again to everybody who is lending us their equipment and time this weekend.
Pay the Price of Success in Honest Effort.