News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

This made me think

Started by JV, April 27, 2012, 07:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

Ok, not sure if this is too political or not, and not trying to get myself into trouble, so i figured i would bring this here. it its too close to the line, delete it.
over on ingo, there is a thread that surprised me. the poll was "can the republic be saved." most people are answering no. the vast majority on the yes answer are people i have seen to either have been to, or are associated with the appleseed program.
http://ingunowners.com/forums/general_political_discussion/poll-1522-can_the_republic_be_saved.html
Quote from: ATM on August 14, 2012, 11:37:57 AM
It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

techres

Let's review the three enemies of our nation:

Ignorance - The link goes to an internet forum.  Most are getting their information from hyped up internet sources full of woe and spin rather than a solid foundation like a book.  I know at least one good book that is a better expenditure of time than tin foil/political sites. 

Apathy - Why bother?  It's all for naught according to the internet.  Heck, if you watch TV all day you get a full day's worth of "Why bother?"  Spend a week, a year, a lifetime of that and how else do you expect people to be?

Laziness - Saving the republic is hard work.  Period.  Harder work than most Americans have ever expended.  Give them dreams of "Red Dawn" and tell them to buy more ammo and debate the usefulness of a BAD Lever for their unused AR and they are all over "preparing for SHTF".  But if you ask them to do cold calls, meet their neighbor, read a real book, or drive 6 hours to teach 15 people their history and you will quickly discover that internet talk is just that - talk.  That can be done from a couch all day so...

So what do we do?  Can they be saved?

Yes!

These guys are the exact reason we have Appleseed as we do today.  Get them to a shoot via the hook of shooting.  Tell them it will be a ball and they will get to test drive all their accessories.  Don't tell them that they are wrong at all, just get them to the firing line.

Once there you have your chance, and be sure to take it - you have Saturday to succeed as most will bail on coming back Sunday.  Get a connection going, get them over the initial shock of their lack of shooting skills, and while they are eating lunch and wondering what they got themselves into - get them connected to their history.

You will get one chance at it.  One day.  If you get them back on Sunday then you have won a battle and get the opportunity to win another.  Do it all over again but this time get them hooked on the possibility of a different future that can actually be achieved rather than the regurgitated walter mitty dreams that are reposted on the net over and over.

Give them something to be a part of, something to do, and most importantly - something to read and then use in their real lives.

They can be saved.  Probably a third of the instructor corps came from there. 

It is one of our missions.  It is one that we do well.  And, from the looks of that INGO poll, it is one that we have not gotten near to completing.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

TBE

I really do not know whether I am more sad or angry. 

I know we are supposed to reach these people, but I cannot identify.  I do not know where they come from. 

I now feel more positive about my nation's chances than before, but even at my lowest, darkest times I never considered the Republic Lost.  Hopeless is a hell I have not known because I refuse it.  I have a hard time understanding how someone can embrace hopelessness. 

I know we are supposed to reach these people and I will, but I cannot help but wonder how they can bemoan the fall and then run out gleefully to take part in it. 
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

yellowhousejake

There is a sickness that has befallen our countrymen. The same sickness that stymies attempts to fill the voting booths. Fear I think, fear of being the looser, fear of making the wrong choice. The easy choice is always the one that requires no effort, and risks no failure.

It is easy, and safe, to say we will all die someday, we will. Anyone can be a wise prophet if your words are "doing nothing we will fail", because it is always true. So they talk about the upcoming doom, the fall of freedom, and they "prepare" for it. They know in their hearts that they are not preparing for anything. They know that they will not see the day when they must use their rifles and their carefully stockpiled 10k of ammunition. Because they will be asleep on the couch, quietly doing nothing. Just like the nothing they are doing now. They will say then, that fighting would be hopeless.

To say the outcome can be changed, to ask others to join in the effort to conquer a seemingly monumental task. That is a risk, that leaves one open to the judgment of those who are afraid of risk. At one time those risk takers were respected in this country, they were role models for our children and ourselves. The leader who says "pull harder, we can do it", or who tells his men "the line must not give way", he has more faith in himself than in fate. That man is not afraid of ridicule. He is willing to take a turn at the tiller, and risk capsizing, to avoid the falls.

I know these people, the risk takers, the ones who will not let the tiller go unattended. I see them every weekend wearing funny colored hats. I have hope, because there are more of them this year than last year.

Just my thoughts in a very reflective mood this week.

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SPQR

this should be on our public board.  People should see that Indiana can do awesome shoot numbers and still be this thoughtful on the forum.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

techres

Quote from: SPQR on April 28, 2012, 10:51:20 AM
this should be on our public board.  People should see that Indiana can do awesome shoot numbers and still be this thoughtful on the forum.

Your wish - my command.

But I think you meant to say:

This should be on the public forum to remind everyone that we have a mission to our own - the gun owners who have given up, withdrawn, and await a horrible future in frustration and helpless anger.

Appleseed has a mission to them that is as important as the one to those who have never fired a rifle.  The mission is essentially the same - Bring Americans back to building a solid future for America based on the history and heritage of those who founded our nation.

Those who have never fired a shot ever need a new experience - the awesome responsibility and skill of the rifleman.

Those who have never heard the history of April 19, 1775 need a new experience - the awesome responiblity and power of the tale of those who took away our shackles of subjugation and gave us the weighty position of citizen.

Those who have given up and withdrawn to await the end need a new experience - the scary freedom of opportunity and possibility.  They need to have a life, now, that includes a chance for a better future.  A life with action, fun, smiles and the all the good that comes with the sweat of hard labor and the community of doing it with good people.

They need us as much as any other group in this nation.

And as always, our future depends on how well we can entice &/or drag them out into the light of a weekend seed and get them looking towards a better day.

SPQR

Which hat am I wearing?   :-\

When I am the national Promotions Coordinator, then I agree with you completely.

When I am one of the Indiana IIT Liaisons then I want everyone to see that we show up to work shoots, sign new ranges, 7th Step like truck truck, and ask the question "Why?" and expect reasoned, intelligent answers.  I can't pretend I am not proud of the quality of out IITs.  I expect them to Save the nation at any moment. 
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

dragonfly

This made me think that you have a big list of folks on INGO that need to go to an Appleseed, and it is going to take much more than just gun owners to save the Republic.  http://ingunowners.com/forums/general_political_discussion/poll-1522-can_the_republic_be_saved.html

Thats why its so important that Indiana is one of the leaders in LibrarySeeds as well O0

Great thread Guy's  O0

D-fly  Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Johnnyappleseed

The republic can be saved if we instuctors know it's foundation and get it accross in a non partisan /political message .
We can point to any conflict and find sacrifices . Look at the families who suffered after the romanov's were killed ! the communist's killed them ,to leave no eye witness's . The end result is what makes us special .
No coruption of blood , No title of nobility , lots of great idea's which are designed for freedom's posterity .

Each IIT /RH should be able to rattle off the BoR and source of rights as easily as safe rifle drill.
Further the purpose of govt and  the source of rights .

Promoting  AS to those who would never attend is furthering the cause of liberty by telling them who founded america ,right marksman who took on the Kings army .

my .02cents
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Pitmaster

While the poll numbers may not show it don't think Indiana gunowners and citizens are apathetic. Indiana is one of the best states in the country for gun laws. Think about what we have LIFETIME Licenses, NFA gun friendly, Open Carry, gun laws cannot be stricter than state law, and a castle doctrine. The 2nd Amendment Patriots was instrumental in the LTCH passing. At least 2 and I think 3 of the bills that improved gun laws came about in the past 10-15 years. Has it been difficult yes, but the persistence of many, including Jim Tomes, Sen. Nugent, Mitch Daniels, etc. has worked.

Campus Carry failed by a very small margin. One with that idiot Bauer running the House. If not for Bauer I'm pretty sure CC would have passed.

Appleseed's will grow. I first learned about Appleseed in 2007 through the 2nd Amendment Patriots.

There are many groups in Indiana that don't hang out on INGO but are valiantly working towards liberty and freedom.

Don't sell Hoosier's too short.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

techres

Don't get me wrong, INGO is an awesome site and has helped Appleseed tremendously.  That is why we support them as they support us and also why we take the time to care when members are withdrawing from the fight as it were.

Indiana has had many wins recently and most are connected with Tomes who is an Appleseeder from the very earliest days.

It is just hard to see those who see a problem but decide it is either not worth fixing or unfixable.  It is especially hard to see that when we are in the middle of making great success.

It's not INGO, it's our brothers - some of whom are on INGO, but otherwise are everywhere else too.

Johnnyappleseed

Indianna patriots have lots to be proud of ^5

While there for a patriots weekend we had a instuctor dinner , some folks saw our AS tshirts and inquired of our program . When we explained what we do ,at least 3 men raised their shirts displaying concealed pistols and even spare mags. In a public restaurant. It was evident Indianna would be a dangerous place to be a thug.

I though to myself ,if that happened where I live , the place would be surrounded by swat teams .

Way to go Indianna   O0 We are very proud of you and your significant contributions to freedom     ^5
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge