News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2012 After Action Reports from other sources

Started by hawkhavn, February 04, 2012, 11:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcmartin1

Appleseed mentioned in an article in the Sunday, June 10th edition of SurvivalBlog - http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/marksmanship-basics-and-beyond-by-evan-w.html
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

hawkhavn

Day 2 is up (new Rifleman!):
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/jim-barrett/my-first-appleseed-shoot-day-2/

Also, if you look two posts up, you'll see an Appleseed friendly venue complete with REV War flags and D targets on the walls (Please keep all video comments civil and SOM/SOM):
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/daniel-zimmerman/quote-of-the-day-manning-up-edition/

HH

p.s. THANK YOU West Side Rifle and Pistol Range!!!
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

George Hacker

QuoteThe Appleseed Project, which hosts rifle marksmanship clinics for all experience levels, will be hosting at least 15 of their tremendous riflery /history events around the country over the weekend of National Training Week, so there's likely to be one near you. If not that weekend, more are scheduled for the following weekend and just about every weekend all year long. Whether during National Training Week or not, an Appleseed Shoot is almost always going on somewhere and is always a worthwhile endeavor.
http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/time-for-americans-to-dust-off-their-guns/
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Patriot Gal

edit:  I didn't read the above post when I posted mine.  lol  Guess ShadowMan and I read the same newsletters.
I posted a comment after the article and sent an email of thanks to the author for the very nice mention of Appleseed in his article. 

This is actually a "Pre"  action report.

WND (World Net Daily) has given a nice mention to "Appleseed Project" in this article about gun rights under "Time for Americans to Dust Off Their Guns" in relation to National Training Week.  Also provides an active link to our website...nice!  O0

http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/time-for-americans-to-dust-off-their-guns/

Here's the paragraph which mentions Appleseed but the entire article is worth reading.

QuoteThe Appleseed Project, which hosts rifle marksmanship clinics for all experience levels, will be hosting at least 15 of their tremendous riflery /history events around the country over the weekend of National Training Week, so there's likely to be one near you. If not that weekend, more are scheduled for the following weekend and just about every weekend all year long. Whether during National Training Week or not, an Appleseed Shoot is almost always going on somewhere and is always a worthwhile endeavor.

Enjoy your shoots!   :---
Patriot Gal

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Unbridled Liberty

Not sure if this belongs here but...
Anybody hear of National Training Week?
http://www.gunlaws.com/NationalTrainingWeek.htm
National Training Week has been endorsed by:
The Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Sisters
The Firearms Coalition/Hard Corps Report
Americans for Tax Reform
Skip Coryell, founder of the Second Amendment March
The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
The Appleseed Project
Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
KeepAndBearArms.com
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Mutti

I don't know which Appleseed this person attended, but this well written piece discusses some items I believe we would like attendees to leave with and perhaps a lack of others we encourage:

The Blind Marksman

QuoteProject Appleseed is a volunteer program where trainers teach people about rifle marksmanship and a specialized set of skills. It is taught as a martial art they claim is unique to the United States. Gun ownership and gun skills played a role in the creation of our nation. This is a very well-run organization with good procedures, wonderful volunteers, and a stellar emphasis on safety. You can read more about it as well as the NYT (decent but of course, liberally motivated) write-up.

QuoteI started off trying to apply Kentucky Windage. I had discernible groups at the beginning of the first day and figured out what the difference was. I thought I was doing pretty good at compensating for this, and that was my big mistake. As a scientist and an economist, I want to reduce all the noise in an experiment and analyze the difference that specific actions make. This technique I was using--which I was advised against using, made it more difficult for me to see the impact of the other skills I was trying to employ. I started with noisy groups. I added noisy compensation. I then added additional noisy techniques I was trying to learn. That's not a controlled experiment; that's a disaster.

QuoteAnd most significantly, I didn't have the right attitude. I was playing around and trying to do things my way. I wasn't devoted to winning the game set before me. I could have done much better, and learned more, if I had played along and tried harder to get it right. That was really a failure on my part that I could have done something about. I didn't want to play with my scope because of how annoying it was to get it set up and will be to set up again at distance. It was only the second day, when after giving up and trying to adjust the scope and it didn't work, that I asked for help getting myself sorted out. Not the most effective use of anyone's time.
And I will do better. I've already signed up for another event next month.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

George Hacker

Here is an AAR in a blog written by one of the new riflemen at the August 4-5, Stevenson, Washington event:

http://www.recoilsports.com/2012/08/earned-my-patch-appleseed-shoot-aar/

Thank you for the good words, Tobias.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Nero

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

scuzzy

Pitmaster

I'm watching Gun Stories  right now. Featured rifle is the Ruger 10/22. Joe Montegna just mentioned Appleseed, Liberty Training Rifle,  and best rifle training program in the country in one sentence.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Mutti

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Patriot Gal

A nice AAR from Masaad Ayoob who attended the Brookings, OR Appleseed which was hosted by Backwoods Home Magazine.

Masaad is quite a gentleman with a keen sense of humor.  We enjoyed our time out in Brookings with Dave Duffy, his wife and family of Backwoods Home Magazine and Masaad and his girlfriend Gail Pepin. 

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2012/08/07/a-most-restorative-appleseed/

Patriot Gal/Castle Mountain
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

mac66

This guy just did a seed in Clarmont FL and wrote it up on his blog, actually wrote two things. One is his version of what to bring, the other is his AAR

Warning: some profanity in each

http://shootersquest.blogspot.com/2012/08/every-question-you-had-about-appleseed.html

http://shootersquest.blogspot.com/2012/08/appleseed-after-action-report.html
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

hawkhavn

Yellowhousejake and Kate are featured in one of a series of radio interviews about youth and guns:
http://www.prx.org/pieces/84038-target-shooting

Great job everyone!
HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

AmericanFreeman

After my Appleseed shoot in Myaka city Fl. on August 25-26th. I reaffirmed my commitment to making America a Nation of riflemen. I being one of millions of students attending Appleseed shoots across this great land of ours. The instruction by Sly223(Rick), Cory, Archy and the shoot bosses name slips my mind for now but, They were very firm in the safety procedures  &) and instilling the importance of proper NPOA.  ~~:) My problem is patience. Rick was good to coach me in relaxing but I need much more work then the two days we had to train. I want to thank the Myaka team in an OUTSTANDING JOB! KaZaa!
American Freeman

scuzzy

Thanks for the links. Added to the website latest news.

Old Griz

My 13 yr old daughter got her first rifle (10/22) this summer and has been in love with shooting since...
I found out about Appleseed here on RFC and showed her the information... She immediately checked the family calendar and announced it free and asked if I would take her to the event... How could I refuse..
The cost for her was only $5.00 and that included an Appleseed Tshirt.. we purchased an additional shirt and a patch for a whopping $15.00 to help offset the cost of running the event... I would have gladly given that money and not gotten anything to support them... the event was that good...
Before the event I had her shooting her gun with Williams WGOS peep sights at 25 meters off the bench and in the prone and offhand positions... she was on target and pretty well prepared (we thought )
The event ran from 8:30AM to 5PM both days rain or shine... and let me tell you on Saturday and Sunday afternoon we had a horrific rain storm (about 30-45 min) so bad they you could barely here the instructor give his history lesson under the covered shooting range. It sounded like someone pouring buckets of BBs on a tin roof... but all went well despite the rain...
There were 11 shooters present ranging from a little younger than my daughter to probably anout mid 60s... 3 females and the rest men... all very friendly and willing to help each other.
The two instructors Tom and Greg could not have been any better of more caring and intense as to what had to be done and making sure all the shooters tried to rise from cook to Rifleman and still had a lot of fun doing it...
They obviously started off with a safety lesson each morning before guns were allowed on the range...
During the course of instruction the shooters really got to learn the mechanics of their rifles, i.e. quick magazine changes, clearing and safeing the gun, etc... The also learned the basic shooting positions of a rifleman... prone, sitting, kneeling and offhand and how to transition from offhand to each of the other positions as needed.
For instance they might have 2 magazines loaded (one with 2 rounds and the other with 8 rounds) on the ground next to their shooting mat... they would then have to transition from the offhand position to sitting positions and load the 2 round mag and shoot at one target, change mags shoot 3 more rounds at the first target, wiggle into their new natural point of aim and fire the remaining 5 rounds at the second target and do this within 55 seconds...
As one of the instructors said yesterday it is like they were doing 2 days of calisthenics. My daughter came home tired and sore both days and would not quit... in fact she is already making plans to do this again next year...
Only one shooter managed to shoot a Rifleman score and the instructors told us that generally maybe only 10% of the shooters attending manage to do that... My daughter says next year is her time..
The history lessons and stories that went along with the shooting during breaks were fantastic and very interesting. My daughter intends to be a history teacher and the instructor had her teach the lesson on the different Rev War flags that were hanging behind the shooters.... she loved every minute of it...
Would I recommend this to anyone...
MOST DEFINITELY.... I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE... You don't need ot be a history buff, just love shooting... and I don't care how long you have been shooting.. you will learn something.... I did and was just listening to what was going on...
I am disabled and I know I could not get into the positions they teach.. I was told not to worry, even if I needed to shoot from the bench they would accommodate me.
So maybe next time I will show my daughter what the old man can do.....
Tom
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

Ratchett

The below article was in the Miamisburg Sportsmen Club newsletter and was published before we could all get home Sunday night after the shoot. Unfortunately I do not know how to make the picture links work. We talked with the club president who was very supportive of our efforts and Appleseed.

Project Appleseed Marksmanship Clinic are great family events,  dates are as follows:

Nov 3-4

Please note the Sept event was a "Ladyseed".  It was well attended and included all female instructors.  Please consider inviting girlfriends, friends,  wives, daughters, sisters that would want to attend such an event and learn more about firearms and our heritage to a future event.

If you have any questions please contact Mike Kinsey at

mlkinsey@gmail.com

Here are photos of the very successful Ladies Event.

<http://jackspartsclubphoto.s3.amazonaws.com/Apple1.JPG> <http://jackspartsclubphoto.s3.amazonaws.com/Apple2.JPG> <http://jackspartsclubphoto.s3.amazonaws.com/Apple3.JPG> <http://jackspartsclubphoto.s3.amazonaws.com/Apple5.JPG> <http://jackspartsclubphoto.s3.amazonaws.com/Apple6.JPG>

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Nero

Quote from: Ratchett on September 18, 2012, 08:16:04 PM
Sunday night after the shoot. Unfortunately I do not know how to make the picture links work.

You surround the URL (after getting rid of the <>) with {img} and {/img}, except use square instead of curly brackets.

Fixed it for you:

-------

We talked with the club president who was very supportive of our efforts and Appleseed.

Project Appleseed Marksmanship Clinic are great family events,  dates are as follows:

Nov 3-4

Please note the Sept event was a "Ladyseed".  It was well attended and included all female instructors.  Please consider inviting girlfriends, friends,  wives, daughters, sisters that would want to attend such an event and learn more about firearms and our heritage to a future event.

If you have any questions please contact Mike Kinsey at

mlkinsey@gmail.com

Here are photos of the very successful Ladies Event.

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Ratchett

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Jen123Rex

Here is a really nice article written about the Blackfoot Appleseed on the 15th and 16th of September.  Carol Fox is pictured having a wonderful time.  She is a twice-over rifle woman.  I wish she could be convinced to pick up an orange hat.

http://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/article_36e39ae6-ffcc-11e1-a935-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=story

JOEMORGAN

"Man did not enter society to be worse off, or to have fewer rights, but rather to have those rights better secured" --Thomas Paine

"Humanity has won it's battle, Liberty has a country" --Marquis de Lafayette

"These are not men, but devils" --Colonel Francisco de Paula-Milan, Mexican Army, Camerone 30 April 1863

alkirer308

I attended my first Appleseed on 15,16 Sept.,2012 at Osage Beach, Missouri. I have been a rifle shooter for 40+ years. I had a great time and scored a 236 with my 10/22 and a 227 with my M1A . My friend Oren scored a 247 with his rimfire and a 234 with a M1A. Longshot was the shootboss and doesn't post AAR's only IAAR"s so here is my Thank You to Junglegeorge :--- and Chris and all the others who helped to make this happen. We also had a Father and Daughter who got their Rifleman Patches on Sunday. This is to let all know that Appleseed is alive and well here in Central Missouri. Find an Event and get involved.Great history refresher and a really  fun time. THANKS AGAIN all who had a hand in setting the event up. Thanks also to Jason.. :~
"An Armed Society Is A Polite Society"
Stand Up For Your GOD Given Rights!

SteelThunder

Article in the Watervliet Rod and Gun Club newsletter about the 'seed there on September 15-16 2012.  Article starts on page 4.

http://mygunclub.org/newsletter.pdf
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Mutti

Letter to BHM on Appleseed Shoot: http://www.backwoodshome.com/letters/letters138.html

Excerpt:
Then Saturday and Sunday the Appleseed. What a thrill to spend the weekend on a grassy hillside with about seventy-five patriotic Americans! Massad was right when he wrote that the shooting was good but the history was the best part. With incredible passion, the RWVA members told the stories of the real people -- who made astounding sacrifices -- to free us from British oppression. Those stories should be mandatory curriculum in our schools.

As for the shooting, there was so much to learn. While I am no expert, I kind of figured I knew what I was doing. Not so at all. My wife actually picked things up faster than I did -- so much so that she shot the best score between the two of us on Sunday (believe me, everyone including her Grandma knew it by the following afternoon). And my wife had wondered if she would be comfortable? She absolutely loved it! If anyone has any doubts about Appleseed, they shouldn't. Safety is the number one rule and everyone was willing to help each other with any need that came up. We are so committed that we have already signed up for an Appleseed closer to home in November. Oh yeah, congratulations to Robby and the dozen or so others who made it to Rifleman! It was also so nice to meet Annie.

This should have/will hit mailboxes this week.

Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

dayid

I hope it's not inappropriate to link to my own pages - but in the tiny section of my own webspace dedicated to firearms, etc - I wrote up my experience of my first Appleseed from Oct 6-7 in New Smyrna FL. I re-posted it here also in the specific after-action report for that location/date also:

http://www.dayid.org/protect/appleseed/20121006-07.html

scuzzy

Quote from: dayid on October 16, 2012, 03:19:32 PM
I hope it's not inappropriate to link to my own pages
http://www.dayid.org/protect/appleseed/20121006-07.html

Works for me. Good report. Liked the whylinux page. But the rant is true of windows, mac, and linux. Wonder why many of the Appleseed staff runs linux and mac? Running CentOS as I post this.

All recent events posted on http://appleseedinfo.org/latest_news.html