News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Patrick Henry speech, 2011

Started by VAshooter, July 29, 2011, 12:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAshooter

We are running out of time to experience the living history of the Patrick Henry speech this year.

Is anyone interested in attending the speech in August and possibly meeting at a restaurant afterwards?

VAshooter

jmdavis

I'm in. I'm free each weekend except the 20th and 21st (Montpelier Appleseed).

Who else is in?

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Old Dog

Let me know when you pick a date.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Fred

If this is the one with George Washington, LMK when you pick a date. If possible, I'd like to experience this.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Patent guy

Please tell me when, where, etc.  I'm very interested.
I'll be at the CMP matches in Perry through the 7th, BTW, so I'm hoping that the date is later.
I'm also looking forward to the dinner, etc, after.   O0
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

The Wolfhound

Let's aim for the 28th.  Come on up Fred.  It is not to be missed.  Will that workwork for everyone? 

jmdavis

What does everyone think of either the 14th or the 28th? The reenactment is at St. Johns Church in Richmond's Church Hill.

http://www.historicstjohnschurch.org/hist_main.php

Fred, this is the one with George Washington, Patrick Henry and other Historic Virginians.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

BeSwift

If y'all choose the 28th, I'm 95% chance in....  BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Ratchett

If you can stand an old woman around I probably could do the 28th.

In His grip,
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

jmdavis

The more the merrier. We could do some camping and make aa shooting history weekend.
Mike

Old Dog

The folks that put this on are amazing.  Before its over you'll start to feel like your were really there and the cold shivers will start down your spine and the goose bumps on your arms/neck as they lay out the issues they are confronting and discuss how they feel and what they will do about it.

The "english" language we speak today is a poor imitation of the past.  Pay attention to what they say and you'll realize that you can tell a man exactly what you think of his ideas without every using a curseword or an adjective that describes his inability to think/act rationally.

One of the things that makes it great is when you come in to be seated there will be seats all through the audience seats that are "reserved" with little signs.  After everyone is seated the actors come in and take those reserved seats in their period costumes/makeup and the history lesson begins.  You'll be sitting right next to those people that made the history you'll be learning about.  Its a wonderful experience.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Tidewater_Shooter

Definitely interested on either date.  This has been high on the todo list all summer.   

Patent guy

Quote from: BeSwift on July 29, 2011, 10:38:08 PM
Maybe we can carpool?  I think its my turn to drive.
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

jmdavis

Does anyone have a problem with the 28th? Speak now.

The Wolfhound

We are in for the 28th (still).

Ratchett

I am in for the 28th! May be bringing a friend as well.
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

BeSwift

Quote from: Patent guy on August 01, 2011, 09:34:39 PM

Looks like myself and Patent Guy are in... Might have others in tow...  BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

jmdavis

I need numbers as soon as possible to be able to reserve seats. The 28th is the second to last even of the year. We have done this weekend before and the church was completely filled.  So talk it up to people who might be interested.

Mike

Col Barrett

Is this event scheduled for 28th of August? I am certain I can't make it, but I have family in Fairfax and would like to encourage them to go with their kids. I didn't see anything specific on the website about this event. Please let me know any more details that I can pass along so it doesn't sound so vague.

jmdavis

From memorial day to labor day each year the Second Virginia Convention and Patrick Henry's speech there is recreated at St. Johns Church each Sunday afternoon. The URL is http://www.historicstjohnschurch.org/hist_reenactments.php

There is more information at the website.

Fred

Quote from: jmdavis on July 29, 2011, 12:34:10 PM
I'm in. I'm free each weekend except the 20th and 21st (Montpelier Appleseed).

Actually, Mike, I hope you are committed that weekend to the Ramseur AIBC - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=22481.0

You and I spoke in the last few days about combining the weekend of the 28th with a VA AIBC, along with Patrick Henry.

Your thread at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=24369.0 has gotten two dozen views, but no nibbles, so let's see how it shapes up.

I will make an effort to be at the Patrick Henry event, regardless.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Randall

jmdavis

Randall,

Excellent! It will be a pleasure to have you.

Mike

Patent guy

Quote from: BeSwift on August 04, 2011, 08:54:46 PM
Quote from: Patent guy on August 01, 2011, 09:34:39 PM

Looks like myself and Patent Guy are in... Might have others in tow...  BeSwift

BeSwift & Patent guy are confirmed for reservations, correct?

The Wolfhound

Just to make the head count easier:  The wolfhound and family, 4 seats.  I have 2 probables as well.  is there a cut-off date for securing a reservsation? 

jmdavis

So far I have

VAShooter +1
PatentGuy
BeSwift
Randall+1
Fisher's (4)
Fred
jmdavis
Ratchett +1
Tidewater_shooter +1

I will call to determine what the cutoff is for reservations for the 28th. Right now, I don't know. But it is usually possible to get tickets at the door, though I have seen them have to bring in extra chairs. So I prefer reservations to luck.

Mike

Patent guy

Quote from: jmdavis on August 10, 2011, 11:36:18 AM
So far I have VAShooter +1, PatentGuy, BeSwift, Randall+1, Fisher's (4), Fred, jmdavis, Ratchett +1, Tidewater_shooter +1
I will call to determine what the cutoff is for reservations for the 28th. Right now, I don't know. But it is usually possible to get tickets at the door, though I have seen them have to bring in extra chairs. So I prefer reservations to luck.
Mike
On a related note, how about restaurant reservations for after?  I liked that idea when you mentioned it at the outset. 
Perhaps we (you) should also ask who will join us for that?

jmdavis

On a Sunday Afternoon in Richmond, reservations are not generally required. We could hit a Micro-brewery across the River (Legends) or head a little West to one of the Fan District's places (Joes Inn comes to mind) aloing with a few more.

Mike