News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Patrick Henry speech, 2011

Started by VAshooter, July 29, 2011, 12:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeSwift

Need to add a +1 please....   Thx BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

jmdavis

I have made reservations at St. Johns for 20. We still have a couple of spots left if you know anyone who would like to attend. They only allow 3 groups to make reservations per event.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

jmdavis

We will need to meet at 12:45 at the West Door of St. Johns. Please be on time. We will enter as a group and be seated before the front doors are opened. Let's plan on meeting a little before that to make sure that we are not late.

Heck knowing me, I might hang the hammock in the cemetary that surrounds the church to be on time.  ;D

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

Randall

Hey Mike,whats the weather forecast for Sat and Sunday?Randall

jmdavis

Richmond is expecting Tropical storm conditions on Saturday. Sunday is supposed to be ok, but there could be damage. I will be checking with St. Johns to see if the reenactment will be held today.

Mike

Ratchett

Still planning on coming unless cancelled.
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

jmdavis

Just off the phone with St. Johns. There are currently no plans to cancel the Sunday 28 August Reenactment of the Second Virginia Convention. I plan to be there if there are no crises at work or home due to the hurricane. I have reserved 20 seats and a few people will likely not be there so contact me if you are interested. There is no cost but the program does accept donations. See http://www.historicstjohnschurch.org/hist_main.php for more information.

After this weekend there is only one more left in the season for this event.

Mike

Ratchett

See you Sunday, will be in Richmond tonight good Lord willing and the creek's don't rise ;)

In His grip,
julia
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

Patent guy

If Sunday Morning presents us with tolerably passable weather and we don't have a power outage/flooding issue, I'll jump in the car and see you all there.
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

Randall

Mike we were planing to leave Sat. and get a room in Richmond or close by,its a good six hours for us,keep me posted on how things are going if you don't mind.Thanks Randall

The Wolfhound

Randall, not sure where you are coming from but stopping West of Richmond might be a good idea.  The storm should stay East of Richmond but we will still have a serious wind and rain event here with the peak winds looking like 9PM to midnight in Saturday.  By Sunday sunrise, we should be in the clear according to the projections.  50 or 100 miles West could make a huge difference in the effects.  If that fits your travel directions, it is worth considering.

jmdavis

Will do Randall. Depending on your route, (58 or 77 to 81) you might consider Charlottesville area. It is 1.5 hours from Richmond and should be uneventful there tomorrow. We are looking at 30-40 mph winds with gusts to 60mph in Richmond as well as 3-6 inches of rain.

I hope that you guys can make it, but I understand if things don't work out.

I will keep you updated on the situation unless I lose power and internet.

Mike

Randall

Ratchett

In Richmond. See everyone Sunday unless Patrick Henry gets canceled.

jmdavis

Julia,

You might think of a trip to Charlottesville today. Check first but the weather is supposed to be a non-event there. You guys could see Monticello and there are other things as well.

Mike

The Wolfhound

It is a pleasant day in Richmond today following yesterday.  But you should know, lots of trees down.  Greater than 70% of the area has no power.  No idea on the re-enactment.  I am temporarily in my office which has T-1 connections and a generator.

jmdavis

Quote from: The Wolfhound on August 28, 2011, 10:59:01 AM
It is a pleasant day in Richmond today following yesterday.  But you should know, lots of trees down.  Greater than 70% of the area has no power.  No idea on the re-enactment.  I am temporarily in my office which has T-1 connections and a generator.

No sign that the event is cancelled I will be at the West doors (Glass dors on side) at 12:30. There are trees down in places, but traffic is moving in the West End. I am leaving the house in 10 minutes. I can be reached at my cell (804) 307-3428 until 12:45 (when we should be seated in  the Church.

Mike

jmdavis

Sign at St. Johns saying the event is cancelled. If people want to get together for lunch, etc. call my cell at (804) 307-3428

Ratchett

HI everyone!

Sorry we missed you. We were at the church this morning, helped clear debris from grounds and walkways. But, we had no internet capability to let folks know canceled. Sorry, hopefully we will cross paths soon. til then...

SOM/SOM
In His grip,
julia

Randall

Yea,we were there to!left around 12:15 ,they were closing the gate's as we were leaving,They are going to have it next Sunday, just got home,Mike I even drove my 1930 Mdl A,Randall

jmdavis

I hate to have missed you guys (and the Model A). I wish that I had had better information so that you didn't waste the trip.

Mike

Randall

Mike,sorry we mised you too,we had a good enjoyable drive,hope to see you in Nov.Randall