News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Moxee Elementary, WA 4/5th grade 3 Strikes and Benediction UPDATE

Started by 06en, April 22, 2011, 08:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

06en

Well, it is nice to be able to say that I survived my first telling of the First Strike. Just a quick pre-setup 1st. Earlier this week I kept this class in the cafeteria after lunch cause they were being just a little too rowdy.

Today about 10:40AM I walk into their class, and their teacher tells them that I have something to say. I let them know that I have spoken with their teacher earlier this week and that she wanted me to come and speak with them.

I ask, "What is today's date?"

"April 22nd." they reply.

"Class, I want to talk to you about what happened on April 19,...236 years ago in 1775.  :cool2: "
The looks on their faces were well, you know  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o .

I explained that I wanted to speak to them about a responsibility that I had. I told the that I was a volunteer of the Revolutionary War Veteran's Association, and it was my responsibility, as well as privilege to tell the true story of the beginning of our war for Independence from England. Today Was the First Strike. I also shared with them that they were the very 1st people I have ever told this story to. They seemed to think that was very cool.

I spoke in character when I could, and I also had made up 18 questions on cards, and handed them out throughout the telling of the story so that I could have some TPI. Some of the questions were just very simple, just enough to keep their attention. Other questions lead into answers that they may never get the chance to hear again. But today, they heard them.

There was some fielding of some questions throughout the telling of the story, some of which were from the teacher. Some of the questions were:

---What happened to Dr. Prescott?
---Why did they have to fire their muskets to unload them?
---What does treason mean?

At the end of the story, when the Regulars are firing their victory volley followed by "Huzzah, huzzah, huzzah!" by me, I reiterated why we refer to this being the First Strike of the Match. The First Strike of Three. Didn't run too long and I don't believe anyone got bored. At least I hope.

The next question from a student was, "There's more?"

"Yes. Next Tuesday I will tell you about the Second Strike of the Match."

"Coool."

Now below is the list of questions I used. Could there have been better, more, less questions? Maybe, But I had 20 Students and still only came up with 14 volunteers to read questions. Good thing I had the 18 questions I came up with 30 minutes before I arrived.

-What happened in Boston 236 years ago?
-What happened earlier at Dr. Warre's house?
-What are the first alarms signals used?
-How does PR leave Boston?
-What are the British Regulars doing at this time?
-Who does PR go to find?
-Who did PR meet to help with spreading the alarm?
-What was the Revolutionary War about?
-Who is Dr. Sam Prescott?
-Who did PR, Dawes & Prescott run into?
-Why were there men waiting at the Meeting House?
-What does a second scout return to Lexington to report?
-What does Capt. John Parker say when he sees the Redcoats?
-What do the first 3 Companies do?
-What does a British officer yell at Parker's men?
-What happened to Jonathon Harrington?
-What makes the Regulars stop firing?
-How many died there on the Green?

Evenstar

Sounds to me like it came off well, Brian. Aaaaand, you survived! ^:)^ ;D Seriously though, great 7th stepping. O0
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Western Rose

Sounds like it was great!!! Wish I could have been there! O0 O0 O0
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

cswhitfield

Great job! O0  I gonna "borrow" your questions to use as study aides.

csw
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

OnlyHitsCount

:bow: 06en, You Rock!!!  Careful, we may have to kidnap you and stand you up in front of my sons 3rd grade class over at Riverside Christian... after all, you are close!   ;)

OnlyHitsCount
That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works.  Psalm 26:7

The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.  - John the Baptist

God doesn't believe in atheists.  (Romans 1:20)

06en

I would be more than happy to let YOU use my question cards so YOU can get some practice too  >:D .

Quote from: OnlyHitsCount on April 24, 2011, 04:00:57 AM
:bow: 06en, You Rock!!!  Careful, we may have to kidnap you and stand you up in front of my sons 3rd grade class over at Riverside Christian... after all, you are close!   ;)   
OnlyHitsCount
**)

KYWindage

This is an excellent example of what anyone can do to spread the word. Now those kids will go home and tell their parents what they learned. Most parents that I know would be tickled pink to know that their children are being told the truth.
"I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist."
--Article II of the Code of Conduct

Joni

06en, sounds like you were a hit!! What a clever way to do it, and get your practice! Awesome!! I can hardly wait to hear you tell the stories at the next AS!

Roland

Great job! Glad to hear it went well, and you DID survive  O0
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

06en

Well it would seem that these kids could hardly wait for me to come back to tell them about the 2nd Strike of the Match. I pretty much use the same TPI approach.

Today I started by asking if anyone could remember where we left off at in the story of the 1st Strike. There were several correct enough answers, but I was very pleased by a student who said, "Jonathon Harrington was shot in the back."

So I picked it up with the Regulars victory volley w/ 3 Huzaahs and the approximate time of the morning (and reiderate the date) and let the kids start by asking the first question:

-What is Dr Prescott doing now?

So I continue with the story while giving the kids the oportunity to own the story by using the rest of the questions I prepaired for them, which are as follows;

-who IS the Captain of the Acton Minutemen?
-what did Hannah Davis write about her husband in her diary concerning that morning?
-how did the Concord Elders verify the Alarm?
-how are the people of New England feeling now?

I followed that question with one of my own by asking them, "How would YOU feel after hearing about what had happened in Lexington and knowing that the Regulars where coming your way?" Like you would imagine their responses were pretty much spot on. So I next explained the that the Colonists had no idea what would happen next or for the next 8 years.

-what do the Redcoats see along the countryside as they begin to approach Concord?
-what do the Minutement in Concord plan to do about the approaching Regulars?
-what does Col Smith find when his Regulars get to Concord?
-what does Major Pictairn have on his list?
-what do the Militias deside to do?
-how does Capt. Isaac Davis answer the question?
-how do the Redcoats react to the approaching Militias?
-what does Major Buttrick order his men to do?
-how does Major Buttrick react to the firing done by the Regulars at the North Bridge?
-what does Col. Smith see?
-how many Militia men have come into the area now?
-after not finding much and gathering back in Concord, what do the Regulars do now?

Again there were more fielded questions throughout, and in the end I thanked them for allowing me to tell them about the 2nd Strike but the 3RD strike would have to wait for another day.

06en

UPDATE

It had taken a little rearranging of schedules to get it done with State mandated testing and such, but the students and I stuck it out waiting for the first opportunity to finish the Story. For nearly a week many of these eager kids asked me daily when I was coming to tell them about the Third Strike of the Match. The Third Strike of the Match and Benediction was given on May 5, 2011.

As before I used a little TPI and I also took a little liberty with injecting some of the Benediction into the 3rd Strike. I stressed the idea of just regular common folks: Dads, uncles, sons, brothers, mothers and kids took part in the events of April 19, 1775. I also stressed the importance that we remember what 14,000 common folks were willing to sacrifice so that we could have the lives that we live today. And that all that is required is to always pay attention to, and be truly informed with what is going on inside of our Nation today.

The questions that I had the class read are as follows;

-At Meriam's Corner, do the Redcoats fire a volley back?
-Do the retreating Regulars ever get to stop and rest?
-So doesn't Smith have to take his Redcoats BACK through Lexington?
-What happens when the Redcoats reach where Captain Parker and his men are waiting?
-What does General Percy think when he sees the shot up Redcoats coming back into Lexington?
-Do the cannons keep the Redcoats from being attacked by the Colonial Militias?
-What does Percy find at the bridge in Cambridge?

This last question I gave to the teacher to ask.

-Before this day, General Percy said he could beat down the whole North American Continent with two Companies of Redcoats. What did he think after getting back to Boston?

Earl

I like to use Lord Percy when telling the story, he was the Brigadier of the 1st Brigade but only a Colonel not a General. Leave the Governor as General Gage. They didn't make everyone a General in those early years.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Puma Mami

06en -- thank you so much for posting about your experiences and the questions you used! This is very helpful. O0
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

06en

I thought I would share some of the comments that were made by these students in a "thank you" card they made for me. Enjoy.

-Thanks for telling us about the three strikes. My favorite was when they fought on the bridge.

-Thank you for coming to our class and teaching us about militias and everything else.

-It's been awesome having you in our class. Thank you for teaching me a name I didn't even know [Lexington] is the name.

-Thanks for teaching me about the Revolutionary War. My favorite part was how the people were standing on the tall hill and then the soldiers started pulling apart the bridge.

Thank you for teaching us how the Revolutionary War started. I learned alot of facts like how the British were on a special mission. My favorite part was when the militiamen came down Punkatasset Hill.

-...it was really fun. I liked the part how we got to read questions and you told us a story to answer it

-Thanks for telling us the story of the three strike, it helped us a lot in social studies.

-Thank you Mr.Morton for telling us about the 3 strikes because it helps us about social studies and now we know about the old days.

Western Rose

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

50th Appleseed

CaptMac

Quote from: Western Rose on May 25, 2011, 09:08:48 PM
O0 O0 O0

06en deserves more thumbs up than three.  I am not versed in the use of emoticons, but I will try for a few more.   O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 

I have no intent to criticize Western Rose.  Indeed, she is one of a few who gave some kudos to 06en. 

This is the kind of thing more of us, me included, should do.   

Good job, 06en. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

Western Rose

CaptMac, you are correct. Originally I had a post full of them, but even that is not enough.

06en, well done. I truly cannot wait to work another Appleseed with you and (in person) hear you telling our history. Thank you for taking the initiative to take our history to school!!! O0  ^:)^ I can see a Red Hat hovering over your head. ;)

50th Appleseed

Evenstar

Yes, very well done, 06en. I can't wait to hear you tell history (soooooon!) ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ Thanks for doing this! :cool2:
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Roland

Good job, and I'll hope to work a shoot with you soon.

Dirk/Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

TBE

Good job 06en.  You have motivated me.  You might have just set a young person on the path to great things.  Good citizen  O0
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776