News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Leyden Rifle Club, May 21-22

Started by dwarven1, May 23, 2011, 02:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarven1

AAR - Leyden Rifle Club, May 21-22

Well, Mother Nature had some rude surprises in store for us at the first Leyden shoot of the year but our shooters and instructors persisted through the downpours, the epic insect problem and even the thunderstorms that passed through (we hid under a tarp and told the second strike (since there was no clubhouse there).

Seven shooters (and 9 Instructors!) were on hand for this shoot. Day started out with rain, grew clearer through the morning and then early afternoon we got rained on again. The shooters just put on jackets and perservered.

No Rifleman were made, but we had quite a few novice shooters on the line. They all made considerable progress. One of our return shooters got up to a 202 - first time he's ever broken 200 - on the last AQT of the weekend. Redcoat targets, however, told the tale of more effective shooters in their scores. We did have one return shooter, who already had her Rifleman patch, shoot Rifleman scores again... just got to get her to take an orange hat. Since she's an Instructor's wife, I'll let him convince her... :)

We had fewer shooters on Sunday, and a few of them left by early afternoon, but the shooters we had left we did KD with and took the to the longer range for some shooting at 100 yards. A couple of Instructors did show off, popping 8" ballons on the 250 yard line and ringing the gong at the same time. (One used a bolt-action Savage .22 with a compensating scope and held really high, the other used a 70 year old battle rifle that had only been sighted at 25 meters the day before. Just proves that that battle-sight zero stuff really works!! 25m=250 yards... same sight picture!)

I'll post some pictures later tonight.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Mr.Freedom

Just wanted to once again thank all the top notch instructors that volunteer their time to teach the heritage of our forefathers and their great riflemen abilities. Thanks to Metalgodz for letting me shoot his shotgun. And Matt for the M1 Garand. I thought Jeremy and Blake were very good with the strikes. I feel very honored, and damn lucky to find a group of people that care so much about freedom. Need I say more? How those pictures doing? Anyone? Oh and I would be remiss to not point out the turkey jerky and the blonde brownies were fantastic.
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

goodpiper

Great Weekend (bugs and weather not withstanding), Big Thanks to All!

Voidoid did well with Strikes 1 and 3. Here he is doing 1st Strike, and his audience.

AmericaStandsStrong doing 2nd Strike

Mr. Freedom getting a new Blue Hat. At some point He'll be swapping it for an Orange Hat

The 25m firing line, with Voidoid working with the Hat, the repeat riflewoman, My Wife, and she of the blonde brownies

KD firing line

Looking out toward the targets 100yds

Checking and returning from the targets.

AmericaStandsStrong with the recoil of Ross's beautifull Enfield.

Cheer up everyone , in July we'll have deerflys instead of black flys. !@#)

dwarven1

We had a great student:Instructor ratio!

One of our IITs. The one in the shirt, not the one with the IIT Orange neckerchief. ;)

AmericaStandsStrong, age 14, gives the second strike while shooters Nina (in the maroon jacket) and Mr. Freedom (left - and who happens to be his father!), listen.

NightJade and Lupis42

Apparently I'm not the only Instructor taking pictures... Hey, Luv2BFree, when are you posting yours?

It's easier to get that left foot flat when you're not wearing boots... And don't blame her for a straight right leg; I was a bit slow taking the picture. When shooting, she DID have it drawn up! She'd just finished the string and was starting to make her rifle safe when I snapped this.

Um... Mr. Freedom, what's missing in this pic? Hint: Where's your cheek?

Hmm... the whole "barefoot" thing seems to be contagious. The Dwarf ain't gonna join in, though... my feet were about the only portion of my body that DIDN'T get bitten! They even munched my legs right through my jeans!! I'm just waiting for pictorial proof of the only bug repellent I found to work... it's a shame the cigar didn't last longer.  :wb:

Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Mr.Freedom

Warning! Never accept a blue hat with a mouthful of turkey jerky or you will get a picture of an Appleseed volunteer impersonating a chipmunk. Now that funny, I dont care who ya are.
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

AmericaStandsStrong

Pics

AmericaStandsStrong

More

AmericaStandsStrong

and some more