News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

San Angelo, TX 14-15 May 2011 AAR

Started by RainmanJS, May 17, 2011, 09:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainmanJS

It was a great shoot, if I may say so myself.  Six shooters joined me and nomad181 for two great days of heritage and marksmanship.  wcmartin1 surprised us by showing up on Sunday to help and shoot.  The weather was unseasonably cool for West Texas, making for pleasant weather both days. 

Persistence paid off for two returning appleseeders, both earning their Rifleman Patch Sunday. kowboygunsmith earning his by cleaning stage 4. Also joining the ranks of riflemen was a seasoned shooter also cleaning stage 4 on one of the last AQTs of the day to earn his patch.

We were also joined by L+J4ALL, a club member that writes for the club newsletter.  He observed the entire event, and was even kind enough to share his pictures with me, a few of which follow:
No man should bring children into the world who is unwilling to persevere to the end in their nature and education.  -Plato

wcmartin1

I had a great time, RainmanJS! 

I haven't shot "Mickey" in a while (notice the AS logo on the butt stock in the "sitting" photo) and couldn't think of a better way to spend a Sunday - checking out a new range, getting reacquainted with a rifle, and soaking up some history in the company of Riflemen!

For such a small shoot you had a great ratio of new Riflemen made - 50%.  Git-R-Done!  :---

Was good to see you and nomad181 again.

Good job, Y'all!
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

kowboygunsmith

I want to thank rainmanjs for bringing appleseed to San Angelo. I have learned alot and made several new friends. When you gave the "Man among you" speach, it almost brought a tear to my eye.
"Dolor Temporarius, Gloria Aeterna, Cicatrices Virgines Placent"

L+J4ALL

This was my first Appleseed event. It won't be my last. Even though I didn't shoot, I had the opportunity to see two days of excellent basic rifle instruction and hear the history of April 19th, 1775.  I thoroughly enjoyed both and hopefully will be able to write a good article for our San Angelo Gun Club newsletter. Thank you red hat RainmanJS and orange hat nomad181. Next time the bolt action is coming along to shoot.
There were six learners and learn they did. Most seemed to have some firing experience and all soaked up the finer details of marksmanship. Their improvement became clear when comparing the red coat targets from the beginning of day one to the end and then again on day two. They all had solid gains in accuracy, speed, and confidence. The first rate instruction, both group and one to one, from both instructors really paid off. Three out of six earned their Rifleman patch. The others were near close. Well done.
A third instructor shot on the second day and not only demonstrated what right looks like, but was an excellent coach and inspiration. Thank you orange hat wcmartin1.
The history and heritage lessons were also first rate. Without getting all patriotic about it, the stories of our American revolution should be reviewed every now and then, lest we forget and they lose their value.
Overall, it was two great days. Good people, good learning, and good heritage. Hope to see you all again. Thank you Appleseeders. And keep up the good work.

kowboygunsmith

L+J4ALL thanks for takin all the great pictures and sharing them with us! They really help as a visual aide when i'm telling people about what i did at appleseed.

L+J4ALL

Thanks kowboygunsmith. Hopefully, you'll like this also.
Check out the video:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QZox1cxkgI
Or google/youtube Appleseed Shoot at the SAGC May 2011.
Keep on shootin.

wcmartin1

Quote from: L+J4ALL on May 26, 2011, 05:47:31 PM
Thanks kowboygunsmith. Hopefully, you'll like this also.
Check out the video:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QZox1cxkgI
Or google/youtube Appleseed Shoot at the SAGC May 2011.
Keep on shootin.

Very Cool!

Thanks for putting this together, Sir!

Git-R-Done!  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

kowboygunsmith

:bow: THANK YOU FOR SHARING THAT, I'M SHARING IT WITH EVERYBODY!

scuzzy

Sounds like a good shoot to me. I apologize for not making it out to the last Midland shoot. I miss seeing y'alls ugly mugs. (yeah, that would be Jesse and Bill)  ;)

I hope to get out this summer and do some shooting myself. I'm getting kinda rusty myself.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

wcmartin1

Quote from: scuzzy on May 27, 2011, 06:32:13 PM
Sounds like a good shoot to me. I apologize for not making it out to the last Midland shoot. I miss seeing y'alls ugly mugs. (yeah, that would be Jesse and Bill)  ;)

I hope to get out this summer and do some shooting myself. I'm getting kinda rusty myself.

You're welcome any time, bud.  Come on out and we'll ring some steel!

Git-R-Done!  :---