News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Concealed Carry in Illinois

Started by Gravy, March 01, 2011, 10:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gravy

I woke up this morning and heard on the radio that Illinois is trying to get concealed carry passed in the house.  Below is a link to the House Bill (HB148):

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=148&GAID=11&GA=97&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=54713&SessionID=84

I have no idea what the odds are, but it certainly sounds like a good time to rally the troops.  I will be writing my house and senate demoncratic representatives to explain my support for this.  FYI, you can use the above website to find out who represents you and how to contact them.  

2 clicks low

Don't forget to ask them to not just support it, but to cosponsor it. This bill contains state preemption but there is also another bill that has it too. Ask them to get on board with both of them.

Also the hard one. Be sure to write the Governor, he has stated he will veto such a bill. We need to get him on board as well.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Johnnyappleseed

Good luck --keep up the pressure  O0
BTW Wyoming has "Constitutional Carry" on the govenor's desk awaiting his signature . When (If) he signs it ,that will make 4 including Vermont ,Alaska, and recently Arizona .

When Alaska was considering "CC" the police chief of Wasilla AK  spoke against this common sense legislation .
His career was ended when the former Mayor of Wasilla fired him because of his anti rights views. ;D
The fired police chief  whined to the courts with no effect. The Mayor had the authority to fire this antigun CHUMP O0

Is it any wonder the state controlled media is constantly ridiculing this pro freedom former mayor -govenor of USA's largest state.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Blue Five

Quote from: Gravy on March 01, 2011, 10:00:17 AM
I woke up this morning and heard on the radio that Illinois is trying to get concealed carry passed in the house.  Below is a link to the House Bill (HB148):

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=148&GAID=11&GA=97&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=54713&SessionID=84

I have no idea what the odds are, but it certainly sounds like a good time to rally the troops.  I will be writing my house and senate demoncratic representatives to explain my support for this.  FYI, you can use the above website to find out who represents you and how to contact them.  

Now if only Wisconsin would be considering such a bill....you guys are ahead of us on that one.
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

TheEditor

Don't forget about IGOLD - Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day - coming up March 10 (a week from Thursday). 

Gun owners from all over Illinois are showing up.  We're shooting (pardon the pun) for 10,000. 

The CC bill is scheduled to begin consideration on March 8. 

If you are an Illinois gun owner, it is VERY important that you be there IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.  Take the day off from work.  If you don't want to drive, catch one of the busses; see http://igold.isra.org/ for bus info. 

This will be thousands of Illinoisians, peacefully and proudly letting their government know what they want it to do.  Civic involvement is one of the goals of becoming an awakened American at Appleseed.  So get off the couch and get there on March 10. 

Not incidentally, if you take one of the busses, you'll have however long the bus ride is with a captive audience of 40 or 50 souls to talk to about Appleseed...

The Editor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

POP

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on March 01, 2011, 12:48:33 PM
Good luck --keep up the pressure  O0
BTW Wyoming has "Constitutional Carry" on the govenor's desk awaiting his signature . When (If) he signs it ,that will make 4 including Vermont ,Alaska, and recently Arizona .

JA,
Somehow I have missed "Constitutional Carry" so I looked it up. 
2A - Here's an article about CC and several states that are working on CC Bills.
Excerpt:
"Under Freedom To Carry, sometimes called Vermont carry or Alaska-style carry, basically, the government stays out of your face as you exercise your fundamental human and civil right to own and carry property. Arms, by the way, are the only enumerated objects in the Constitution or Bill of Rights that you are guaranteed the right to possess."
http://www.gunlaws.com/ConstitutionalCarry.htm

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

DesertDog

And you guys make fun of CA gun laws!!  Just kidding ;D.  Best of success in this endeavor, don't let up for a second!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

TheEditor

The Illinois bill is for Concealed Carry, under a permit system. 

It's not Constitutional Carry (which is a pity, because when I grow up, I want to live in a state with Constitutional Carry). 

At any rate, the carry bill is coming up in Illinois; IGOLD is coming up in Illinois; and this year is the best chance we've ever had to make it a reality. 

48 other states can't be wrong. 

Be in Springfield, at the Prairie Capital Convention Center, at 11:45 AM next Thursday, March 10. 

The Editor
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

Johnnyappleseed

Pop ,
The county I live in basically has no provision for any concealed carry(except those well conected ) needless to say those who elect the sheriff would be most welcome by Chicago's new (old) mayor. :(

How we ever got to the place of needing govt permission to protect ourselves,loved ones and society in general is a mystery .
Until we get more folks involved with voting "freedom first" the state of victim disarmament will only accelerate .

Keep up the good work in Illinois.We are proud of you O0
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Jungle George

Another issue youse Illinois guys are facing the attorney General there just ruled that your firearm owners card is public information so anyone can request it. 
On a lighter side one woman on the radio said that the criminals can find out who don't own guns and rob them.

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

2 clicks low

Quote from: Jungle George on March 03, 2011, 01:16:38 AM
Another issue youse Illinois guys are facing the attorney General there just ruled that your firearm owners card is public information so anyone can request it. 
On a lighter side one woman on the radio said that the criminals can find out who don't own guns and rob them.

JG

And on the darker side, criminals can find out WHO HAS GUNS AND ROB THEM.

2cl

nyrasgt

Couple of observations (then back to work, so as to avoid the dreaded thread drift police...):
1)  Robbing people who are known to have guns...begs nomination for a Darwin Award...
2)  In "Unintended Consequences," John Ross says something like (don't remember exact quote and autographed copy of book @ home), "Insulting
     and depriving a people of their rights (sound familiar, AS Instructors?) is a very bad idea."  True, from one of the best, imho, books written, despite
     its 800+ pages.
3)  NYS law allows each county's Surrogate Judge to decide, WITHOUT APPEAL, what kind of handgun license he or she will issue, e.g. "full" carry, concealed...the dreaded, and extremely common "hunting and target" restriction, or various others.  Patently unfair, arbitrary, indefensible, and unable
to be changed...
4)  NYS licenses are good anywhere in the state...except the five counties/boroughs of NYC (see comments in #3).  NYC Permits, however, are also
valid throughout the state...again, see #3...Ironically, there are two counties beyond NYC - Nassau and Suffolk, in which our non-NYC permits are valid.  One just has to figure out how to get to them (and they contain the AS range at Calverton) without setting foot in NYC.  Boat?  Helicopter?
Transporter beam?  Angels?  Self levitation?  Other?
5)  There have been a number of attempts in NYS, most recently in my own Warren County, to have the County supply, or otherwise publish a LIST
of Pistol Permit holders under the FOIL statutes...thus far they have been unsuccessful...but, as seen in other states, they WILL continue.
6)  Also bears repeating that Chicago, one of the least firearms-friendly places outside of New Jersey and, wait for it, Massachusetts, summarily ended all scholastic riflery programs in the city schools some years back, without benefit of any discussion whatsoever, despite the fact that there are still some thirty colleges (non-service academies) that offer scholasrships for Riflery (NC State, Alaska, Ole Miss to mention just a few).

The fight, and the Riflemen's persistence, goes on.
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Patriot Gal

The Illinois State Police, who are the keepers of the FOID registration data base, have again, respectfully declined to release the recordsO0 There is already a stipulation in Illinois Law that no information has to be released if it could result in the potential harm or death of a police officer or others.  If the list was revealed, it would show who potentially has firearms, and those who don't.  It would also reveal the addresses of current and past police officers, putting them at risk also.

I don't know where the Atty. General's head is at!!  This is being requested b/c a nosey person from the Associated Press wants it.  This is apparently the 2nd time she has tried to have the records made public.  The state police want the result to be determined through the courts.

Pray, stay strong and write, call and fax your congressmen and Lisa Madigan's office!!!
Patriot Gal

Quote from: Jungle George on March 03, 2011, 01:16:38 AM

JG
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Garand69

IGOLD MARCH 10.... BE THERE!!!!! ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:..
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Johnnyappleseed

G69 ----- I knew you would be going to Springfield ^5

Tell Richard Pearson Hi for me . He has a sense of humor nearly as good as yours ;D
He probably will not recall KCMG shoot 06 ---- where he represented Illinois State Rifle Association--- I think he is the executive director or was.

Good luck we are with you  ;)
JA
Calvin Coolidge

IL_Patriot

Is there any plans for an Appleseed group meetup at I-Gold?

Johnnyappleseed

Carpool or caravan sure sounds like fun --------------wish we could be there  :(

Wonder if the state controlled media will cover this ?

Looking forward to lots of pics  O0
Calvin Coolidge

TheEditor

Guns Save Life .com will have a table in the lobby of the Prairie Capital Conv. Center Thursday; I'll be there, if any ASers want to stop by.  I'll have some AS flyers there.

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

2 clicks low

Yesterday HB 148 passed the committee 12 - 2.

If you support this cause the time is now. Write that 2 minute letter. Send the email if that's the best you can do, but putting it on paper with a stamp still carries more weight. If for some reason you missplaced the page with your rep's address, you can find it here:

http://www.elections.state.il.us/DistrictLocator/DistrictOfficialSearchByAddress.aspx

Thanks

2cl

PS if you don't support this cause there is an Austrialian Cricket marathon on ESPN. Pull up a couch. **)

Gravy

Fantastic!  One step at a time.

Quick question, and excuse me for not knowing how "the system" works.  I noticed that there are also house bills 112 and 1403 for concealed carry.  Why are there 3 of them?  Does anyone know the difference?  Thanks in advance.

2 clicks low

Quote from: Gravy on March 09, 2011, 12:53:51 PM
Fantastic!  One step at a time.

Quick question, and excuse me for not knowing how "the system" works.  I noticed that there are also house bills 112 and 1403 for concealed carry.  Why are there 3 of them?  Does anyone know the difference?  Thanks in advance.

1403 has you apply directly to the Ill. State Police. 148 & 112 go thru the county sheriff.

I read 148, haven't read 112. There will be some minor differences. It is quite common to introduce several bills with minor differences. 148 is the one that floats best, so be it.

dugjeep

I shot in Australia once at one of there indoor ranges, it was a joke they cable lock the pistol down when there on line. Cant aim or even move it. 

TheEditor

If anyone has trifolds or other AS handouts to bring, and we don't have an AS table, please bring them and leave them on the Guns Save Life table.  GSL will have a table both at the Prairie Capital Convention Center and inside the Capitol. 

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

wtr100

live e-mail address for Miss Gordon - a quick note asking her to support the bill

92nd Illinois House District
Representative Jehan Gordon
300 E War Memorial Dr, Suite 303
Peoria, IL 61614
Phone: (309)-672-9292
PH: (217) 782-3186
FAX: (217) 782-1275
repjehangordon@gmail.com
http://vets4fred.net/

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

2 clicks low

This is it. The time is now. Today. Not tomorrow. Not next week.
Write your Rep's. Find them here:

http://www.elections.state.il.us/DistrictLocator/DistrictOfficialSearchByAddress.aspx

If you don't know what to say, start with the following and follow your heart. Change it up. We don't want the same letter from everyone. Remember, respectful, short and firm. Be sure to put your name and address and sign. Hand written is better than typed, snail mail is better than email.

Now the hard part, after you write your letter, call all your relatives, friends and neighbors and ask them to do the same. If they don't know their reps, help them do the research.

The Honorable Rep. Dolittle
Office building number
Springfield, IL 00000

Dear Ms. Dolittle

I am a voter in your district and I'm asking you to support HB148. This is critical legislation to bring Illinois in line with the rest of the country. I need your support to insure that we have a veto proof majority.

Yours truly

Ima Voter
123 Main Street
anytown, IL 00000

thanks
2cl

Castle Mountain

TE since I am the closest resupply depot and I will be headed for Normal, Illinois this afternoon, tell me where we can meet
and I will bring what I have available which includes some trifolds, Fliers and 18x24 posters. Let me know if this works
and where you would like meet that is central such as Market Street off exit 160 - Highway 55 or just off the Mitsubishi Parkway.

Best regards,

CM

Quote from: TheEditor on March 09, 2011, 04:30:20 PM
If anyone has trifolds or other AS handouts to bring, and we don't have an AS table, please bring them and leave them on the Guns Save Life table.  GSL will have a table both at the Prairie Capital Convention Center and inside the Capitol. 

TE
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

TheEditor

CM,

Thanks.  I'm good for now; just got a mess of trifolds in the shoot box for the Danville shoot that was delivered over the weekend. 

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

Castle Mountain

That's a big 10/4. Just remember that we are a supply Depot for this part of Illinois from way back when Pappy set this up.
If you ever need something, just give me a call.

Good luck on your presentation

Cheers,

CM

Quote from: TheEditor on March 14, 2011, 01:34:08 PM
CM,

Thanks.  I'm good for now; just got a mess of trifolds in the shoot box for the Danville shoot that was delivered over the weekend. 

TE
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Gumballhead

Back on topic, and BTT.

There is  a lot of activity on this now folks.  When I hear reps say ALL of their constituents are OPPOSED to this bill, yet all I hear on the radio, and online is SUPPORT, Something is VERY wrong.  Let your congress folks know, I mean really KNOW how YOU feel about YOUR state government.

I'm writing my letters today (One to my state senator Dan Duffy, and the other to my rep Ed Sullivan Jr).  I've been slacking, and I cannot attend another Appleseed without taking 5 minutes to write two very important letters.

Think about it...can you find a few minutes?  Have something better to do?  Did Isaac Davis have something better to do April 19th, when he left his home?

Gravy

My letter was sent in!  Karen Yarborough knows my feelings.  Irony in action:  she lists in her biography that "pulic safety" is one of her priorities, yet she will undoubetly vote for criminal safety.  She's part of the problem!