News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A 1st EVER FOR APPLESEED !! **A HISTORY BOOT CAMP**

Started by EEL, January 27, 2011, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEL

Many reading this are 1st, 2nd, or 3rd decendants of "The Guy".  If not, you probably experienced his passion for history at a shoot you attended.  It wasn't "the 6 steps of firing a shot" or "how to make a safe rifle" or IMC  :wb: that triggered you to get off the couch.  It was the passion, the feeling, the emotions, the history.

Illinois is proud to roll out the first ever History Boot Camp to be held on April 2-3, 2011.  It will be held in the same location as our last IBC, the Masonic Temple in Ottawa.  There will be NO steady hold factors.  There will be NO prone, seated, standing demos.  There will be NO IMC. 

There will be in depth discussion and demonstrations on how to tell "The Story".  There will be numerous RH/SB there to guide you through how to arrange your thoughts so your story flows and has meaning.  There will be ideas on how you can formulate a good benediction.  There will be ideas on how to reach the shooters on your line for that shoot.  History is NOT cookie cutter stuff.  To be effective, it needs to be tailored for each shoot.

You've all heard that if Appleseed offered 2 day history clinics, no one would show up so we use shooting as the hook.  Well, Illinois is offering just that.  Two days of nothing but history.  It is highly recommended that you read OR re-read PRR beore attending.  This will be a TSP (Total Student Participation) event!

Bring a USB flash drive if you want SBIT info.  We will be happy to download the SBIT folder on your drive.  It is a good collection of things you will need as you change hat colors.  (History, Benedictions, forms, SB responsibilities, quotes, etc)

Cost is $20 per person.  Send a PM to Pappy to sign up.  "Camping" is available in the basement (just as with the IBC) starting Friday night.  With enough attendees, three squares on Saturday and breakfast and lunch on Sunday is included.  We will try to wrap it up by 1330 on Sunday so you can travel home (on a full stomach ;)) at a decent hour. 

We look forward to making some great story tellers so the "big push" on April 16-17 reaches as many shooters as possible.  Heard this somewhere..........."It ain't about the shootin' folks"

PM Pappy and hope to see a hundred or so  ~~:)  of you on April 2-3.

EEL

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

2 clicks low

I'm in.
PM sent to Pappy.
2cl

The beatings will continue until the History improves  ~~:)
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Cooper

AAARRRRRGGGHHHH !!!   :wb:

I would love to come to a History BC, but I'm stuck on hospital call that weekend.  Normally I could find someone to trade call weeks, but I just finished making 2 other trades so that I could go down to Memphis and work the Tea Party Promo and Shoots.   :(

Curses!!

I know the weekend will be a smashing success, and I hope that some of it can be taped or transcribed.

Let me know when the 2nd HBC is planned!!!!

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Boba Fett

Fellow Seeders,
This is going to be THE event of the year!  :D  This is your chance to hear and see how it's done by some of the best and most effective history presenters in Appleseed (some, not all  ;))
This is where you get to find out the deep down "why" and "how" to tell the story and pick the brains of some seasoned AS trail veterans. No pressure to get through the mechanics of
being an Instructor. Just a relaxed and focused weekend full of "The Story" and plenty of time to talk with people who tell it well. Don't miss it! And be sure to bring your recording devices.
It is going to be something you'll want to review in the future as you continue your Appleseed journey.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!
Boba

colycat

Shoot!  This is the weekend of Wisconsins "All hands on Deck" weekend.  The Deer and Turkey classic,  where we need all shifts to have 6 or so instructors.  To reach or at least be exposed to 40,000 people in 3 days is too big to screw up by not having enough staff.

BTW,

"You've all heard that if Appleseed offered 2 day history clinics, no one would show up so we use shooting as the hook."

Don't yoos guys fish?  If shooting is the hook, then the history is what?  Shooting is the tasty bait,  history is the hook and telling it well, sets the hook and you got em. O0
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

M.E.

Of course this is EXACTLY what I need/want but I have a prior commitment that weekend that can not be changed.  :wb: Will be sending video crew from Central IL in my place.

M.E.

Cooper

Quote from: colycat on January 27, 2011, 01:06:18 PM
Shooting is the tasty bait,  history is the hook and telling it well, sets the hook and you got em. O0

That's how Coly reeled me in...

Now actually landing a 250 lbs walrus... that was a team effort.   **)

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.

crak

I think you mean the 1st ever for Illinois.   ;D

Anyway, I've found at these things asking the question "Why would you even bother telling anybody about this section of the story?  What should Americans keep in their hearts and should have never forgotten?" tends to bring out some very good stuff from orange and red hats alike.  Rarely will two people answer the same way.

Have a good time!
Check your drama at the door.

Josey Wales

Quote from: crak on January 27, 2011, 02:40:16 PM

Anyway, I've found at these things asking the question "Why would you even bother telling anybody about this section of the story?  What should Americans keep in their hearts and should have never forgotten?" tends to bring out some very good stuff from orange and red hats alike.  Rarely will two people answer the same way.

Have a good time!

..Good advice Crak....................JW..............
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Garand69

Quote from: crak on January 27, 2011, 02:40:16 PM

Have a good time!

**) Always competing with Illinois ;D

That's good Crak, competition always improves the breed so they say O0

This is most certainly a First ever affair, unless of course it has never been reported. Your EXCELLENT Battle Road IBC's are definitely more focused on History which is a good thing, someday I hope to get a chance to attend one. Our plans for the Jan IBC were simular minus the accessibility of Battle road, focus all day Sunday on History, but a wrench was thrown into the works  #)

The Illinois History Boot Camp has little to do with an IBC. There will be ZERO 4 Safety Rules-Line Calling-6 Steps-Steady Hold Factors, etc etc etc. It will be 100% About the History and How To Tell It!!

We have unfortunately noticed a very disturbing trend in Appleseed nationwide. I have friends all over the Country asking "What happened? The history wasn't that good compared to last year? Or even more horrific, from two friends from opposite ends of the Country... "They didn't even bother to do History". Well to US, that just isn't acceptable, so we intend to fix it. While IL is pretty good on getting it's History across, we feel it is best to bolster our existing strengths rather than wait until they are a weakness and need to be fixed.

As you know full well, a "Connection" has to be made for the shooter to get hooked on the History and then in turn, get hooked on the notion that if we all work together we can make a difference and maybe even Save This Great Nation. Well it is just like joining two dissimilar metals together with solder...

You need two clean surfaces (Good History and The Shooter)
You need a quality solder (tying the History of 1775 to Today)
You need a quality flux (How the story is told and sold)
You need the right amount of heat in the right places. (enough "heat" to make the shooter constantly think about their Appleseed Experience for at least a week following a shoot, but not so much that the Shooter dismisses it as empty rhetoric)

That is what the 1st Ever Appleseed HBC is going to be about, creating that bond, that in turn lights a small brush fire in the minds of our Shooters, and inspires them to step up to the plate.

Hope to see you on the trail O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Ratchett

Trying to put an Ohio contingent together to make the trip. O0 Looking forward to a history weekend ^:)^

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Boba Fett

Quote from: Nurse Ratchett on January 28, 2011, 06:57:44 PM
Trying to put an Ohio contingent together to make the trip. O0 Looking forward to a history weekend ^:)^

Ratchett

Whoooooo   Hoooooooo !!!!!!!   :D

Bring it!   O0

Boba

Pappy

Hello Group; There are a few things that always nag at a person who works to do a job better every time.
One of the tough ones for many of us has been the History and a weak spot that we try to hide. Well its time to ROLL out to OTTAWA  cause we are going to have the FIRSTof many HISTORY boot camps pointed at making a better Instructor Corps. This is for any one who feels they need to improve there history. We all could use a public speaking course (ish),, Do you know how to address a group and keep them awake???
Check your date book, WE have plenty of room. For $20.00 a head where can you have this much fun????

Please read the rest of this thread if you are interested, We all need it.. All are welcome who come with open minds and mutual respect.

PM Me if you will attend and when you will arrive. Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

EEL

Coly Coly Coly.  In Chicago you don't use hooks.  You use the long red thing that looks just like a road flare, except it has a piece of sorta string lookin' stuff hanging out of one end.  Light it, toss it in the water.....next thing you know, fish everywhere  >:D

Relax!  Just kidding  @)

Seriously, this will be a great opportunity to get a better understanding of HOW to tell the story.  The techniques to develop a method that works for you.

Send your PMs to Pappy and see youse there!

EEL

Fred

Quote from: Garand69 on January 28, 2011, 03:20:15 PM
We have unfortunately noticed a very disturbing trend in Appleseed nationwide. I have friends all over the Country asking "What happened? The history wasn't that good compared to last year? Or even more horrific, from two friends from opposite ends of the Country... "They didn't even bother to do History".

This is a very serious charge and should not be made without a willingness to supply data to suport it. If you know this to be a fact, and aren't reporting it to me or the SCs of those states, then we are missing an opportunity to fix something which is wrong in the program.

QuoteWell to US, that just isn't acceptable, so we intend to fix it.

Since I don't see how a history boot camp in IL is supposed to "fix" the problem you are hearing about on the east and west coasts, I am hoping you will PM me the info which will allow me to start whatever needs to be done to actually fix the problem your friends are telling you about.

For that PM, let me thank you in advance.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Garand69

Quote from: Fred on February 01, 2011, 11:44:15 AM
Quote from: Garand69 on January 28, 2011, 03:20:15 PM
We have unfortunately noticed a very disturbing trend in Appleseed nationwide. I have friends all over the Country asking "What happened? The history wasn't that good compared to last year? Or even more horrific, from two friends from opposite ends of the Country... "They didn't even bother to do History".

This is a very serious charge and should not be made without a willingness to supply data to suport it. If you know this to be a fact, and aren't reporting it to me or the SCs of those states, then we are missing an opportunity to fix something which is wrong in the program.

Both EEL and I have informed you of these things Fred, This isn't stuff that happened yesterday, more like over the past year or so. So i didn't feel the need to re-hash them

QuoteWell to US, that just isn't acceptable, so we intend to fix it.

Since I don't see how a history boot camp in IL is supposed to "fix" the problem you are hearing about on the east and west coasts, I am hoping you will PM me the info which will allow me to start whatever needs to be done to actually fix the problem your friends are telling you about.

I probably overstated that a bit Fred, The "Fix It" is too broadly applied there, so I apologize for that portion of the Statement.. As I said here.. "While IL is pretty good on getting it's History across, we feel it is best to bolster our existing strengths rather than wait until they are a weakness and need to be fixed." That is the crux of the matter. As we gain more and more Instructors and Volunteers, we want to emphasize the importance of reaching the Shooter with the best History Presentation possible. And that is the Goal of the HBC, keep IL in ship shape. Of course a small side benefit is that those attending shoots (or the HBC for that matter) in IL from other States may bring that same sense of importance back with them, to insure that History is kept at the level of importance that it should be.

For that PM, let me thank you in advance.

Thanks for Chiming in, I know your busy  O0
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Fred

Quote from: Garand69 on February 01, 2011, 12:33:41 PM
Both EEL and I have informed you of these things Fred, This isn't stuff that happened yesterday, more like over the past year or so. So i didn't feel the need to re-hash them

So, be polite, and go the extra mile - inform me again. A PM would be appreciated with the names, dates, and locations of the Appleseeds where no history was given. I'll use that info to track down the instructors and find out if the facts are as your informants say - and if they are, I can promise you, it will be fixed.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Garand69

QuoteSo, be polite, and go the extra mile - inform me again.

Fred that really hurts.... Who ever heard of an impolite Ready-Mix Truck Driver? We have feelings too Ya know @) really deep deep down, but they are there  >:D ;D

PM Inbound
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

RPD

Ratchett

I'd love to be part of that contingent, but am scheduled to be in trial the two weeks following that weekend, so I'll be reading boring material getting ready for two weeks of financial records (Ugh).

-RPD

ps  Julia, how's the knee?  Been praying for your recovery!
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Garand69

Quote from: RPD on February 01, 2011, 05:47:08 PM

Ratchett

I'd love to be part of that contingent, but am scheduled to be in trial the two weeks following that weekend, so I'll be reading boring material getting ready for two weeks of financial records (Ugh).

-RPD

Oh boy..... another feller thinking INSIDE the box..... #)

Bring the records with, by the time we are done with you, you will be able to tell the financial history in such a way, there won't be a dry eye in the house...... thus securing a win for your client, and getting an extra weekend of vacation just to go Appleseedin" Sounds like a win win to me  O0
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Boba Fett

Quote from: Garand69 on February 01, 2011, 09:40:44 PM
Quote from: RPD on February 01, 2011, 05:47:08 PM

Ratchett

-RPD

Oh boy..... another feller thinking INSIDE the box..... #)

Bring the records with, by the time we are done with you, you will be able to tell the financial history in such a way, there won't be a dry eye in the house...... thus securing a win for your client, and getting an extra weekend of vacation just to go Appleseedin" Sounds like a win win to me  O0

Brilliant Dan!  O0 But that kind of thinking seems a little above your pay grade here. No wonder you get to be State Coorjinator. Pace yourself. Save some of those great idears for us Illinoisians.  :P

Garand69

Above MY paygrade..... Boba Boba Boba, keep it up and you'll have latrine duty at the HBC &) >:D

The Editor bumped a great old thread about Teaching History in the IIT section, not everyone reading this will have access but those that do it is worth the read!!!

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=2662.msg160352;topicseen#msg160352

Thanks TE  O0
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Boba Fett

Quote from: Garand69 on February 02, 2011, 10:34:30 AM
Above MY paygrade..... Boba Boba Boba, keep it up and you'll have latrine duty at the HBC &) >:D

The Editor bumped a great old thread about Teaching History in the IIT section, not everyone reading this will have access but those that do it is worth the read!!!

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=2662.msg160352;topicseen#msg160352

Thanks TE  O0

You Redi-Mix Truck Drivers are soooooo stinking sensitive.  ::)
Can't you tell a back-handed compliment when you read one.   ;D

2 clicks low

Ratchett

OMG WE'RE BEING INVADED.  :---  :---  :---
We need all Illinois hands on deck for this event.. The Ohioians are comming.
We must welcome the invading hoard.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

GoldFish

Quote from: 2 clicks low on February 04, 2011, 05:36:28 PM

Ratchett

2cl

I'm glad our reputation preceeds us with in a way that causes such noticeable fear. :--- ;D  It's probably what the DOF has done to you guys. 8)

Quote from: Boba Fett on February 04, 2011, 03:41:45 PM
You Redi-Mix Truck Drivers are soooooo stinking sensitive.  ::)
Can't you tell a back-handed compliment when you read one.   ;D

Yup, some of those drivers are dumber than a box of rocks.
However, may I humbly suggest (and maybe convince you Boba?) that Garand, if for no other reason than because he's an AS Instructor, is no less than slightly above the curve here?
Oh no, wait, if Boba was convinced of that, wouldn't that eliminate like ALL of the good threads on the forum (particularly on the IL Board) where both G69 and BF are trying to kill each other with very well hidden 'back-handed compliments' and empty threats of 'latrine duty'? ;D
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Garand69

..:.. ..:.. ..:..

I'm getting harrassed by a feller named Goldfish??? #)

GF.... sometime.... say Aprilish... when you go out to your grocery getter to drive home... and it's full of concrete.. I HAD NOTHIN' TO DO WITH IT!!! I'm all the way out here in Chi-Town :cool2:

You signed up for the HBC yet GF????
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

AFTERMATH

Quote from: 2 clicks low on February 04, 2011, 05:36:28 PM

Ratchett

2cl

You think Ohio is bad....  At least their in the same region!
It's those barbarians from the Great Plains you'd better watch out for!
You never really know when they'll show up!
>:D
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Cooper

Quote from: AFTERMATH on February 07, 2011, 07:39:21 PM
It's those barbarians from the Great Plains you'd better watch out for!
You never really know when they'll show up!
>:D

AGAIN

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Patriot Gal

Do you want the HistoryIBC added to Instructor Scheduling so people can sign up there?  Certainly it can be set up like a regular IBC and have IITs sign up on Eventbrite.

There's still lots of time in which to get that in place.  May help draw others from the surrounding states who may not have happened across the notice on the Illinois board.

What say y'all?
Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Garand69

Quote from: Patriot Gal on February 09, 2011, 11:39:15 AM
Do you want the HistoryIBC added to Instructor Scheduling so people can sign up there?  Certainly it can be set up like a regular IBC and have IITs sign up on Eventbrite.

There's still lots of time in which to get that in place.  May help draw others from the surrounding states who may not have happened across the notice on the Illinois board.

What say y'all?
Patriot Gal

Thanks for asking PGal O0

This 1st annual event is coming out of our pockets, so we would rather run it as we are. The cost per person for lodging and food is hard to beat as it is, we don't need to add extra expense going through E-Brite on this one.

The next one.... who knows O0
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz