News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bolt or Semi?

Started by Dougum, November 14, 2010, 10:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoller

I know this is a little of topic but some people were talking about the price of ammo. If you really want to shoot a lot of centerfire I would recommend reloading your own ammo. If you do it right you can have some really high quality and highly accurate ammo for less than you would normally pay:). Also if you need some ammo and you have the supplies on hand you don't need drive to the store or order some, you can just load some up and your ready to go.

DBoller

Also it might not always be cheaper so I would recommend doing some research on the type of ammo your thinking of loading up, but it normally will.

Dougum

I agree I reload most of my center fire ammo by the way does any one have a .410 bore loader? Just bought a .410 and would like to reload for squirrel season. Mans gotta eat sumthin' good.

Doug :---
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off

Kick-in-the-pants

Well I shot at my first even in Wilmington OH with a Marlin 880SS bolt gun with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope.  It's very likely that I was focusing too hard on getting a perfect shot off that I wasn't able to get all my shots off before the time ran out... but for stage II and III, more often than not, I ran out of time. 

I aim to try again with a limb saver on my rifle to see if the extra length helps out and hopefully the weather will be more cooperative... it was in the higher 90's!  Sweat running into your eyes doesn't help you shoot straight! :slap:

oladcock

Yep, we just had a young man, maybe 14 or 15 turning in 180's and 190's with a bolt gun at Lubbock this weekend. He'll get it figured out! :)...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Glasshunter

I just went to my 3rd Appleseed and finally qualified with a score of 220.  I already owned a 10/22 and an AR in .223 and I have shot both at Appleseed events.  I never attempted an AQT with a bolt action because I felt I would struggle with the time, particularly the 55 seconds allowed for the sitting position.  Inititally my 10/22 was stock, but I ended up making some modifications to it that made the rifle a better rifle for me.  The stock on the 10/22 was small for my frame so I changed to a Christie, which is readily adjustable to fit me.  In addition, I changed out the trigger group to improve the pull. I also added a bolt latch and a magazine release that are much easier to manipulate than the stock Ruger's.  I also scoped it (my eyes are getting older).  All of these things improved the accuracy, operability and dependability of the rifle, which in turn allowed me to shoot the courses of fire in the alloted time without stressing out.  All of these things contributed to me finally earning my qualification.  However, I would not have been able to do it, even then if I had not finally figured out how to establish my NPOA from each position.  I can't stress how important this one factor is.  A word on other calibers - shooting them can get expensive when you burn up 400 rounds at an event.  Throw in a couple hundred more for practice and it starts to add up.   

Charles McKinley

I started AS with a 10/22.  After 4 shoots I finally scored Rifleman this weekend with a 212.  I then shot a 217 and a 228 with a Mosberg 802 Plinkster bolt with clips (it comes with only a single shot adapter).  I had put about 500 rounds throught the bolt in the little over a month that I had it.  I had added about 2 inches to the stock and a sling.  I put up a review soon.  It is just over $130 at Dunhams and you have to order the magazines from Mossberg.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Kick-in-the-pants

Last night, despite some trigger problems and one shot at the wrong target, I scored rifleman with my Marlin bolt gun.  I still had trouble getting all my shots off sitting, but the GI sling (vs regular sling) made a HUGE difference when I wasn't standing.  I'm still having a hard time believing it... BUT, it can be done... apparently. :D (It's probably just harder... but since I've only used a bolt gun, I can't speak from experience.)

K.I.T.P.

TruTenacity

Quote from: Kick-in-the-pants on October 31, 2011, 03:08:32 PM
Last night, despite some trigger problems and one shot at the wrong target, I scored rifleman with my Marlin bolt gun.  I still had trouble getting all my shots off sitting, but the GI sling (vs regular sling) made a HUGE difference when I wasn't standing.  I'm still having a hard time believing it... BUT, it can be done... apparently. :D (It's probably just harder... but since I've only used a bolt gun, I can't speak from experience.)

K.I.T.P.

Congratulations!  Not an easy task.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Wagon

I shoot a CZ 512 in my first AS last year, after I got qualified on Sunday, I tried couple more AQTs with a CZ 452 Scout, I failed to complete all shots in Stage 2 and 3.

Last weekend I went to my 2nd AS with the same CZ 452 Scout.   On Saturday I was still unable to complete all 10rouds in Stage 2, but on Sunday I kept myself busy with the bolt action and eventually I was able to complete all stages, and have scored >210 in three AQTs

I am not a good shooter myself, but it can still be done with a bolt gun; however it is much easier to shoot with a semi-auto without a doubt.

AAOptics

I'll admit to being the odd ball.  I shoot much much better with a cz 452 than any semi auto.  I've shot in 3 shoots with a 10-22 with a high score of 190 and average of 170ish.  I've shot in lots of shoots with a 452 with a high score in the upper 240's and a average of 230 ish.