News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Horrible Histories Georgian Army clip

Started by Weezer, March 24, 2015, 11:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weezer

My kids get a kick out of the Horrible Histories DVDs and when I saw this one, I thought Appleseeders' kids might like it.   A funny clip about a regular bloke joining the British army - the best part is that they show precisely how the Redcoats shot a Brown Bess (or, more to the point, how not to).   Enjoy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVx0NjmK284
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

jmdavis

We should remember that the British had Riflemen as well. They too had fought on the frontiers. Ferguson fought with riflemen right up until his death at Kings Mountain. Heck he invented one of the first breach loaders.

It is also important that we remember a number of the Victories of the colonies came from not following British military doctrine. When they did follow it, they tended to wind up less successful. These victories at Saratoga, Cow Pens and Kings Mountain, required different tactics than standing toe to toe with the British and exchanging fire until one side or the other ordered a bayonet and Cavalry charge.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

hogfamily

"The Regiments are frequently practiced at firing ball at marks. Six rounds pr man at each time is usually allotted for this practice. As our Regiment is quartered on a Wharf which Projects into the harbour, and there is very considerable range without any obstruction, we have fixed figures of men as large as life, made of thin boards, on small stages, which are anchored at a proper distance from the end of the Wharf, at which the men fire. Objects afloat, which move up and down with the tide, are frequently pointed out for them to fire at, and Premiums are sometimes given for the best shots, by which means some of our men have become excellent marksmen"

http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/08/the-aim-of-british-soldiers/
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"