News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Jan 2011 Buckingham KD Day

Started by smwwoody, October 27, 2010, 11:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

I was hoping to stop by and say hi but it looks like fencing day Sunday if the weather is decent.  I'd promised my son and my nephew I'd go to the gunshow with them that weekend so the rainy day (Saturday) looks to be the best bet for that (so I can put up some fence Sunday).

Maybe next time.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

BeSwift

Being that this is our 1st visit to the famous garage..I've got several stupid questions to pose...

1) Is it ok to arrive Fri PM? (likely 10PM ish)
2) How do the dining arrangements typically work... bring a stove? campfire? Grill available? Paper plates etc?
3) Running water available?

Thanks!    BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

The Wolfhound

I will be bringing the equipment that I can think of, but is there a list of "really good things to have when shooting long distance"?  I am a techie and might have "one" lying about the house but have not thought of bringing "it".  Weather looks like morning rain on Saturday and clear and chilly on Sunday.  Day temps 40ish.  Still planning the Chilli pot Saturday(enough to share around), will lunch be at the range or before?     

The Wolfhound

Oh, another pesky question: costs have not been discussed,  How much cash should I have for expenses like targets and range fees?  Will the Rifleman pins discussed elsewhere be there?  I will have cash in hand for those also if so.  Looking forward to This weekend's "recoil therapy" session.

Old Dog

If I was shooting I'd want:
1) my rifle and maybe a back up rifle
2) ammo for one/both if they weren't the same caliber (one AQT would be 40 rounds, two would be 80 rounds, there should be some practice/zero time/shooting as well.)  I'd take 200 rounds at least.
3) a shooting mat so you don't have to lay in the mud/wet/cold (the air will be cold enough)
4) the ear plugs, safety glasses, clothing needed to stay warm, clothing needed to replace clothing that gets wet
5) some folks like spotting scopes (I don't own one myself)
6) a cleaning kit (one with a real cleaning rod) in case you want/need to clean that rifle or get a squib round or drop it muzzle first in the mud
7) staple gun with staples

many folks recommend you bring a small notebook/pen to right down the info you learn about your rifle, your ammo and how you/it shoot at various ranges.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

sgtmace

General info:#1-range is private, I'm sure the locals would appreciate any donations but no set fees during my last visit. HOWEVER,#2-there is a store less than a mile from the range with hot eats for lunch. Pretty sweet setup.
OldDog's info always applies. Given the fickle weather a pocket full of hand size pouch heaters would be nice to keep your digits happy. Never forget a towel. Other than that and a desire to burn some powder is all ya need.
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget you were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force: Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -- Patrick Henry

smwwoody

Since this is not an IBC and most of the time will be spent at the range and not at the garage we will not have meals ready at the garage. Everyone is on their own for food. I will be gone until late friday night so thje first the garage will be open is saturday morning

Woody
Fixing some of the holes in your bucket first can make bailing easier

Our children should be taught how to think, not what to think....

KJ4WXC

smwwoody

If anyone needs more info you can call me at 434-390-3646
Fixing some of the holes in your bucket first can make bailing easier

Our children should be taught how to think, not what to think....

KJ4WXC

Patent guy

This event was great, guys, so Thanks again.

I was not able to get contact info while there, but I promised to send some e-mail attachments. 

Please pm me an e-mail address I can use to attach the promised images.

Also, did I mention Thanks again? 
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

Cheeks

So, how many folks attended/qualified?

BD

For the attendees and non-attendees,
One of our exercises involved measuring the front sight or scope reticule by posting a front sight measuring target.
I drew up a new one on my handy computer, and here it is.

For the non-attendees, you post the target at 25 yards and then apply your sights/scope and you can use the results to range targets of known width.
i.e. a 10 MOA wide front sight means that a 20" wide target at 200 yards would be the same width as your sight.
If the same target is half the width of the same sight, it would be at 400 yards.

I guess it's not really a target, because there's no actual trigger-pulling involved.
Feel free to shoot it when you're done measuring.  I won't tell anybody if you won't.
Up the Republic

Patent guy

District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

BeSwift

Quote from: BD on February 08, 2011, 08:30:07 PM
For the attendees and non-attendees,
One of our exercises involved measuring the front sight or scope reticule by posting a front sight measuring target.
I drew up a new one on my handy computer, and here it is.

For the non-attendees, you post the target at 25 yards and then apply your sights/scope and you can use the results to range targets of known width.
i.e. a 10 MOA wide front sight means that a 20" wide target at 200 yards would be the same width as your sight.
If the same target is half the width of the same sight, it would be at 400 yards.

I guess it's not really a target, because there's no actual trigger-pulling involved.
Feel free to shoot it when you're done measuring.  I won't tell anybody if you won't.

Thanks BD!  Good shooting this weekend too....     BeSwift

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Beowolf_357

I would like to thank Woody,and Mike, for the help with my shooting, and Rich for the hospitality. It was good to meet the instructors, and talk shooting. Thanks to the couple that brought the cinnamon rolls and the chili, it was great, can I get the chili recipe? As far as shooting the front sight width, and learning the marking inside my scope allows me to estimate range. For those that missed it, just hope they have another one. My scores are slowly improving, I need to practice more. I shot a 210 on the first AQT and a 223 on the last one we shot fast. I have room for improvement.