News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Jan 2011 Buckingham KD Day

Started by smwwoody, October 27, 2010, 11:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeSwift

I REALLY hope it's not necessary to move the date, but if unavoidable, I'd vote for 1/22 weekend.  BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

n2oguy

This is a tough decision to make. Which weekend is going to be the warmest??  :-\  I'm just down the road from the "Woodring School of Known Distance" so I can pop in any time. Use me as a tie breaker if you have to.
                                                                                           :--- n2oguy :---
"Of the people,By the people,For the people"--Abe Lincoln (Except when Big Brother is watching)-R. Taylor

"Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"--Albert Einstein

jmdavis

1/22 I will be in NC for an NRA Pistol class, so that's a no go for me.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

BD

Either date works for me.
Lets go.
Up the Republic

VTMountaineer

I can do either but February 5th&6th works better.

Just do not move it to the weekend of Valentine's day or I may have to start getting my mail at Woody's garage!

The Wolfhound

The key for me is advance notice.  Either weekend works as long as I know 2 or more weeks in advance.  Nothing locked in January or February weekends for me....yet.

Patent guy

Quote from: BeSwift on December 21, 2010, 09:23:07 AM
I REALLY hope it's not necessary to move the date, but if unavoidable, I'd vote for 1/22 weekend.  BeSwift

We should note that Feb 6 is "superbowl sunday" in case someone has a social obligation on that day.
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

Spanner

Quote from: smwwoody on December 20, 2010, 10:59:22 PM
Ok we may have to move this event.  If we do it would be one week forward or backward. 

Do we know yet whether the original date (Jan 30/31) must be changed?

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

Jason B

I can be there any weekend, but I perfer the original date. Please let us know when it will be. Thanks, Jason
Lets just remove all the warning labels and let nature take its course.

The Wolfhound

I have a crazy urge to shoot 400 yards with my .22Mag.  Anybody got reliable data on the hold over for 400 yards with a 200 yard zero?  With a 100 zero it looks like about 177 inches (just shy of 15 feet!)  My guesstimation is about 6 feet of hold over with a 200 zero. Probably 9 inch hold under for 100 and about 24 inches hold over at 300.  Anybody got the ballistic computer for 40 grain FMJ in .22WMR?  The best I can do is compare to a known bullet for similar performance.  Based on amost nothing, I have chosen the .45-70 for my guesstimate.  How crazy am I?

JustJeff

Quote from: The Wolfhound on January 05, 2011, 12:13:09 AM
I have a crazy urge to shoot 400 yards with my .22Mag.  Anybody got reliable data on the hold over for 400 yards with a 200 yard zero?  With a 100 zero it looks like about 177 inches (just shy of 15 feet!)  My guesstimation is about 6 feet of hold over with a 200 zero. Probably 9 inch hold under for 100 and about 24 inches hold over at 300.  Anybody got the ballistic computer for 40 grain FMJ in .22WMR?  The best I can do is compare to a known bullet for similar performance.  Based on amost nothing, I have chosen the .45-70 for my guesstimate.  How crazy am I?

The calculator I have (the free Federal one) only goes out to 350yds for .22winmag.  With a 200 yd zero (24" barrel, 1.5" sight height) you have 5.8@50, 9.6@100, -16.9@250, -43.9@300, -82.7@350. @ 350yds, your velocity is down to 808fps from 1880fps at the muzzle.  I'd guesstimate (without any experience in doing it) that you'd have close to 110" (9'+) @ 400 with a 200yd zero.
From a 300yd zero to 350yds is -31.55" so my 'guesstimate' could be a little off.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

smwwoody

Ok this does have to be moved and the final date is feb 5th and 6th.  Meet inb woodys garage at 8am

Thanks

Woody
Fixing some of the holes in your bucket first can make bailing easier

Our children should be taught how to think, not what to think....

KJ4WXC

MacMcM

You guys and gals have fun... I have a conflict that weekend (AS related) but that frees up my spot for another warm body!

Mac
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

BD

I'll be there with bells on.
(Maybe not with bells, but I'll be there)
Up the Republic

The Wolfhound

jmdavis

I'm in, though I'm going to be driving 120 miles on Saturday Morning.

Mike

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

sashok.privetov

I'm still in. Has it been decided on Feb 5-6?
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

jmdavis

The Wolfhound

Are there directions for the Buckingham range?  And what is this "LOGBOOK" for each rifle that Doug mentioned?  Is there electricity at the range?  I was thinking of firing up my chili pot for the event.  I can run it in the van for the drive up but it will need to cook awhile on site.

jmdavis

Quote from: The Wolfhound on January 11, 2011, 10:38:09 AM
Are there directions for the Buckingham range?  And what is this "LOGBOOK" for each rifle that Doug mentioned?  Is there electricity at the range?  I was thinking of firing up my chili pot for the event.  I can run it in the van for the drive up but it will need to cook awhile on site.

Sat. morning we will be meeting at Woody's for instruction. There is electric there. The Range has no electricity.

Directions to the Range: (or a way to get them)

Directions:    Intersection of VA 610 & VA782 in the city of New Canton, VA 23123. Once there go down 782 to the end and you'll be at the range.

There are so many ways to get to us, depending on what part of the state you're coming from.

1.   Go to        maps.live.com
2.   in the "live search" window in the top left corner type "va rt 782 new canton va 23123" and hit enter.
3.   Rt. Click on the arrow at the end of Rt. 782.
4.   Click on "Drive to Here"
5.   Go to the left margin and in the box labeled "A Start:" type in your starting address.
6.   Click on "Get Directions"

Logbook: The logbook provides a single place where you can store shooting information for a rifle. Here is a pdf that you can print to make 2 up sheets for logging. You can three punch these and put them into a notebook. You should find a file named datapage.pdf here. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13803.msg114839#msg114839

I look forward to seeing you there.

Mike

BD

What do you figure for a round count for the weekend?
One man's "enough" might not match yours.
Up the Republic

jmdavis

We will need to zero (or confirm zero at 25m) for sure.

There are then a couple of ways to go. I recommend that most people fire zero groups of 5 at each range. So let's call it 30 rounds for zero and then 40/ AQT. When you do this, a KD AQT takes ~3 hours. You will want to log all of this data.

I would recommend around 250 rnds for the weekend for your primary rifle. That would be zero and 4 KD AQT"S. With some extra to confirm. You may also wish to bring a second rifle to simply zero/confirm at various ranges.

The way I see this working is to use the day 4/5 POI's from RBC's. These have worked very well for me in the past. We might deviate if we think that something can be improved.

Patent guy

Is there another way to post or link to the logbook page?

I appear to be denied access to that content for the time being.
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

MacMcM

Quote from: Patent guy on January 11, 2011, 01:44:37 PM

see attached below
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

jmdavis

Quote from: Patent guy on January 11, 2011, 01:44:37 PM

Here it is.

The Wolfhound

Greatly looking forward to this.  Looks like I will need directions to Woody's garage too.  I think I was sucessful on google mapping the range directions.  Along with my usual too much gear, should I plan on bringing anything additional? Spotting scope, etc.?

FiremanEd

Woody's garage is at

1018 Cartersville Rd., New Canton VA 23123

Are you a Rifleman or a clerk?? 

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

jmdavis

All,

Please remember that the new date for this event is Feb 5-6.

Mike