News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR; Waterman 300 9/10

Started by spitstickler, September 11, 2010, 01:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

Quote from: West on September 13, 2010, 07:02:21 PM
Wow is the operative word!

I don't think that I have ever been to an event and been more moved, and felt as much joy as what we did this weekend.

Terrific.  Sad to see it end, but like I told Deacon:

There's always next weekend.

West :))

Every weekend is a good weekend for an Appleseed!   :D

I'll echo the "Wow!"  Amazing on so many levels.  I'm honored to have been a part of such a historic weekend.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Mudcat

WOW looks like a great time! My hat is off to the ones that planned and made this happen. Then another tip of the hat to the ones that worked it. O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

SkyHawk

One can only say Huzzah!  What an incredible experience being part of the largest Appleseed event in history.  It was so well organized I never heard of or saw one glitch.  Considering the size of this event that is no small feat.  One can only congratulate (and thank) EEL and all the others too numerous to name (including all those behind the scenes) that pulled this off.  

To all of you who missed this, DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!!!!  Mark your calendars NOW for next year.

The very best part was being in company with all those great American's who came out to breathe the air of hope one can only get being around so many kindred spirits.
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

Evenstar

GREAT videos! Posterboy, your pictures are wonderful. Thanks for letting me shadow you a bit! O0
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

techres

Just PM'ed EEL to ask that he get the AAR up and running, then we will have a place for the bajillion pictures we all took!
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Strong

I am feeling very honored (and a bit sore) to have been able to shoot at the historic Waterman 300 Appleseed this weekend. What a fine group of people and what an unbelievable time.

Highlights for me were the first volley at the redcoats, the colonial period reenactor corps and the photographic flyover.  By far the most memorable part for me were the presentations though. Listening to Fred and Eel was extremely inspiring. The Guy brought tears to my eyes. However, Ishy's second strike speech blew them all away! I've taught Public Speaking at colleges and universities for decades and all I can say is she set the bar really high for you all! Let's strive to match her energy and flair for the dramatic in every presentation at every Appleseed. ^:)^

I had so much fun! I also learned a ton. I now know to focus on the front sight rather than the target (step 4a.) This was important for me in improving my ability to shoot by the numbers. I'm also squeeeezing the trigger more often (step 5), following through (step 6) and am not dragging (as much) wood--all important learning moments.

This time was a lot less like taking a sip from a fire-hose but it was still a strong garden hose with a tight nozzle! My scores went up and my consistency improved. I'm not a rifleman yet but I'm moving along the road.

Thank you all for everything you did. A special thanks to the instructors of Platoon 4-- Aftermath, Old Glory, Gumball Head, Rimshot and Isiaih (I hope I did not leave anyone out)

Well, I've gotta sign off now. I have dry firing practice so I can be ready for my next Appleseed in a couple weeks.

Super Dave

The Waterman 300 event was my fourth Appleseed.  I have attended three Appleseed events at the Racine County Line Club over the past year.  My two boys also came with me to Waterman, each of them attended a full weekend at Racine and a single day before this event.

Was a big rush to see all the cars and trucks, and trailers, of all the other Appleseeder's, but the representation of all the historic flags, the tents, the long line of target backers, and all the different license plates on those vehicles.  Missouri, New Mexico, Iowa, Virginia...

We met instructors and shooters that we have gotten to know at various events, and we met new friends too.  I invested in a copy of "Paul Revere's Ride" late last year, but I always enjoy hearing about the history behind the moral and ethical foundations of the United States.  And how each individual tells the story in their own way.

Was very happy to start to feel more comfortable with NPOA to a point where I was feeling confident in my shooting.  Finally shot my first Rifleman on the Saturday evening AQT.  Bad part was that earlier in the day we had a rifle malfunction on my youngest son's rifle, but we were able to secure a loaner for the rest of the weekend.  I used that loaner rifle to follow up with a Rifleman score Sunday.  I so very much appreciate all the help of all the instructors in guiding me and my family in our sport of mutual enjoyment.  I appreciate that others have went through this program and achieved Rifleman, something that I really wanted to achieve for myself.  Additionally, the enjoyment of being around responsible, motivated, and increasingly civic minded individuals.  

In addition to the other fantastic volunteers, it was great to meet Fred, and for him to remind me to bring friends.  

We're so in for Waterman 600 2011.    ^:)^  

Ashes

My attempts at photography. I should have stuck to my regular digital camera instead of relying on my cellphone. :(

Old Glory!

Strong, honor to have you on the line.  You have all the makings of a GREAT instructor....(insert the smiley with the orange hat here :cool2:)

Super Dave in 3D - Racine is coming in October again....http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states.html   O0

Fat Mike!  Congratulations!  What a great day to earn your Rifleman patch.   Pass it on!

Elroy, Welcome!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Karl

I only have 3 words to describe this past AS..............GREATEST APPLESEED EVER!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Dare I say Waterman 600 in 2011  ^-^

Count me in. O0

Karl
"corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
"Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes."

EEL

WOW !!  That doesn't come close to really expressing my feelings  ^:)^  ^:)^  So many instructors threw themselves head first into this project it is sometimes difficult to remember that they are all volunteers!  That's right...ALL VOLUNTEERS!  Over 70 instructors from 13 different states (hmmm, coincidence?  ???) descended upon the Aurora Sportsmen's Club (ASC) in Waterman, Illinois to lend us a hand.  California, Idaho, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and North Carolina.  Every state in the midwest from Canada to Mexico was represented.

We spent the entire day Friday getting over 1/4 mile of target line set up along with getting the rest of the range squared away.  When we finally hit the cots  that night you could feel the electricity in the air.  Tomorrow.....it's here!!  You can imagine the mood Saturday morning when we awoke to a light drizzle  :-\  I guess I should be ashamed.  The last shoot here at ASC started the same way and STILL 42 persistent shooters turned out.  Today was to be no different.  We had approx 190 shooters that felt that if our forefathers could wear rags for boots and endure the brutally harsh winter at Valley Forge, they could endure a little rain.  And endure they did!

The weekend opened with the Pledge of Allegiance, Fred addressed the group, Guy hammered home the safety rules, and we were off!  View the three  "youtube"  videos posted above, they are truly spectacular!!!  If you weren't there, I'm sorry, for it was a sight to behold!  The rains finally gave way and we had a wonderful Saturday.  A day made for shooting.  (aren't they all?)  The individual Shoot Bosses instructed their shooters on the finer points of marksmanship throughout the day.  As the sun set on a glorious day, those that wanted, shot an AQT.  We found 3 new Riflemen on our opening AQT!!!

Sunday arrived promising better weather.  And it came through.  We had some new shooters arrive which will bring our total to 202 ish, I believe, for the shoot.  The biggest Appleseed to date!  I say that because we aim to break that record next year!!!  Mark your calendars now for the Annual Waterman 300.  Hopefully, we will have to rename it  ;D  

The shoot is scheduled for September 10-11, 2011.  This will help mark the 10 year anniversary of that fateful day.

Sunday the pace quickened.  Shooters began to hone those new found skills until mag changes became second nature, finding NPOA became easier, and shooting in Rifleman's cadence (1 shot every 3 seconds) felt natural.  They were on the road to becoming Riflemen!!  I'll have to check the records, but I believe 6 more shooters mastered the AQT and picked up that coveted Rifleman's patch.

Sadly, the sun began to set.  The realization began to sink in that it was almost over.  That which we have so looked forward to was about to be history.  Where had the weekend gone?  Seems like we just got started.  Guy left us with this quote by John Adams.  Words written after he had ridden from Boston to Lexington on what is now called Battle Road.  After he witnessed the pain, the suffering, the carnage.

"Posterity, you will never know the price the current generation has paid to secure your Liberty, I hope you make good use of it;  For if you do not, I shall repent in heaven for taking half the pains to preserve it."

I left the range with the setting sun to my back.  I stood at the end of the range, my shadow cast a long shape onto the grass.  The far berm had a reddish glow.  I looked east down the 600 yard line where moments earlier over 200 rifles had sounded off in the name of Liberty......my eyes got misty, a lump rose in my throat, pride swelled in my heart.....and I couldn't help but think...maybe, just maybe.....they smiled a little.

I thank each and every one of you for being there!  YOU are the future of our Country.  YOU can make a difference.  YOU can make "that choice".

Respectfully,
EEL

Edit added:  Special thanks to Aurora Sportsmen's Club for allowing us to use their range, provide the sound system, and assist in promoting this event.  For those that were there, you know what ASC offers.  We also had several shooters step up and take an Orange hat.  Thanks and congratulations to these fine Americans that have decided not to sit back and watch, but have chosen to do what they can to help alter the course our country is on!!
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

GoldFish

Thanks for all those who took time to take the pictures.  One IIT I met this weekend says, "Pictures...or it didn't happen. &)"  You proved that this did happen and so much more. O0

---GoldFish

More comin' soon...
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

colycat

I will just touch on this weekend.  On Sunday, Ishy got up to speak and tell us the story.  At first, all I heard was a little girl telling the story of the sacrifice of our founders.  It sounded like a children's story for bed time.  How can this young girl convey the story and the message?

And then I looked up.  She has only one leg.  Wow,  (pause, and think)   I guess she knows a few things about life.

We were treated to the most passionate and moving strike of the match, most will ever hear.

Well done Ishy, well done.  you are the woman!

My high point for the weekend.

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

AFTERMATH

Quote from: RifleWoman on September 11, 2010, 12:47:56 PM
Dang, I miss all the fun.  >:(  Well, I guess somebody has to hold the fort down while the rest of you are off playing...  :P

And we thank you greatly for that!

After all, we wouldn't be able to do any of this without you, RW! 

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

AFTERMATH

Quote from: colycat on September 13, 2010, 11:57:29 PM
I will just touch on this weekend.  On Sunday, Ishy got up to speak and tell us the story.  At first, all I heard was a little girl telling the story of the sacrifice of our founders.  It sounded like a children's story for bed time.  How can this young girl convey the story and the message?

And then I looked up.  She has only one leg.  Wow,  (pause, and think)   I guess she knows a few things about life.

We were treated to the most passionate and moving strike of the match, most will ever hear.

Well done Ishy, well done.  you are the woman!

Colycat

Mere mortals, such as myself, will likely never reach the bar which she has set before us.  And she's just beginning!

Ishy, how does it feel to have the admiration of masses of Americans? 
That reception, I can only imagine.

Ishy for President!

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Ishy

Nope, there is no way to describe the glory of this event!  AWESOME!!!  (?)

Thank you so much, Guy and EEL.  Can't thank you enough....

It was truly an honorable experience to be within feet of ~50 of this country's greatest instructors.  Like Guy, I was amazed to see so many red and orange hats in the same location!  I know there were so many more wonderful instructors that couldn't make it and I'm sorry not to have met them.

Riflemen...congratulations.  New orange hats...congratulations.  (Huzzah, Litl Bit!  That's my little sis!   :cool2:)

Quote from: colycat on September 13, 2010, 11:57:29 PM
I will just touch on this weekend.  On Sunday, Ishy got up to speak and tell us the story.  At first, all I heard was a little girl telling the story of the sacrifice of our founders.  It sounded like a children's story for bed time.  How can this young girl convey the story and the message?

And then I looked up.  She has only one leg.  Wow,  (pause, and think)   I guess she knows a few things about life.

Well done Ishy, well done.  you are the woman!

Colycat

Why, thank you so much!  It was an honor to share such an incredible story at such an incredible event.  Very humbling.

Quote from: AFTERMATH on September 14, 2010, 12:30:30 AM
Mere mortals, such as myself, will likely never reach the bar which she has set before us.  And she's just beginning!

Ishy, how does it feel to have the admiration of masses of Americans? 
That reception, I can only imagine.

Ishy for President!

Thank you so much!  I am so thankful for the opportunity to meet all you wonderful instructors I probably wouldn't have met if it weren't for this event.

It was such an honor to be a part of this shoot.  Thanks, Mom and Dad, for making the trip.   O0 

HUZZAH!!!
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

mountainman2222

Holy Mackerel, the Waterman 300 was beyond words!!!  The planning was flawless!!!  200 plus shooters and every one of them must have had the time of their life.  I am so very impressed with the great talent that set this event into history.  The Guy, EEL and all the rest of the volunteers that made this happen are obviously true Americans with hearts of gold.  I am so proud to be a part of Appleseed I could bust. O0 

I guess I was not the only one to get something in my eyes several times over the weekend.  With every strike of the match something got in my eyes.  Dang! ::) 

Ishy has left me with a wonderful memory.  A more beautiful presentation could not have been made. :bow:  Thank you. 

It was great to see all of the Appleseed folks that I have come to love.  And I finally got to meet in person many of the Appleseeders that I have been reading about for months.  Very cool!!!

Did it rain Saturday morning? #) 

P.S.  I tried to post some pictures but my file size seems to be too large.  Pictures coming soon.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  --Bejamin Franklin

Badger

The Waterman 300 was my first Appleseed event, but it won't be my last.

What a great way to spend a weekend.
I earned my Rifleman on Saturday, scored by West.
The Instructors of Platoon #2 were great at helping me remember what they had taught.

I was quite impressed with the level of safety on the firing line.
You men and women are to be commended for your efforts and vigilance.

-Chris Engstrom
     Rifleman
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." 
-Col. Jeff Cooper

Badger

Here I am Saturday evening getting my patch from Dragonfly.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." 
-Col. Jeff Cooper

Plainsbilly

A truly awe inspiring event to see this many people willing to go out and lay in the rain. It is even more more amazing when you stop to think there is no money, prizes(doorprizes don't count) or awards besides a simple patch to get people to come out. This means to me that all these shooters a making the drive and taking the time e to make the history and significance of the events of April 19 and what they mean to our country today.                                                             
            BTW I got my rifleman on Saturday with a 229 scored by ahhshoot
"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." Niccolo Machiavelli (1469 - 1527)

mountainman2222

More pictures of the Waterman 300.  Hope y'all like em.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  --Bejamin Franklin

snakeman67

as if you all have not heard this enough already...WOW!!  what a great event. Fife and Drum Corps, revolutionary Rifle squad, ISHY's "second strike" story, actually brought a tear to my eye as Guy handed the H-red hat over!
Met way toooo many fine folks to mention all by name, but one in particular stood out, Dawn and the girls from idaho made this AS a great experiance for me, as well as all the other folks in "6th Platoon" "Meanstreaker"(I only smoke at appleseeds) did an Awesome job as 6th's Instructor! did I mention that? as well as Fred's constant drilling on the "6 steps to firing the shot" I doubt I shall ever forget them!
Waterman was my 2nd AS, not my last! broke into "Sharpshooter" but the elusive RIFLEMAN PATCH ESCAPED AGAIN.
I shall return for another try, as they say...Third times a charm!
Thanks again to all of the IIT's and Instructors who VOLUNTEERED to help us all shoot better! HUZZAH!!
snakeman67....out. ;)
"The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing"

Kentucky Windage

To use awesome would be redundant in this thread but Waterman was awesome!!  ^:)^

Big thanks to all the Red and Orange hats who volunteered their time to teach those of use on the line how to do it by the numbers...SSQQEEEEEEZZZE !!

I was my honor to meet Fred and have him instruct us on looking for flinching and bucking before the card drill on Saturday.

Guy was great to hear on the line and the man has a big heart!

EEL was the man - many thanks for all the work you did to make this happen.

Ishy was an inspiration, you where over in group 1 with us and helped greatly with instruction. I was watching you on Sunday evening shooting an M1 like you where born to it. For such a lovely young lady you have a belly full of grit!! Hope I get to see you at another AS someday  O0

Old Glory - Thanks for the kind words - I'm already recruiting for the next Appleseed and the Waterman 600 in 2011 !!

KR from MO - You were a fantastic instructor and really took good care of us. Who are you on the forum?

OddBall - I met you while parking the car and we got along like old friends the whole weekend - you were group 1's favorite orange hat.

Really loved the Dangerous Old Men stories - I don't feel very dangerous but I got the old man part competed - Praying my liver heals after all the Advil I took over the weekend.

I heard the same comment on the line "Pictures...or it didn't happen" so here goes:

I wish you a good eye and a calm hand

Evenstar

The best parts of the weekend...

Friday morning when I arrived at the range, the first thing I did was climb up the berm to take a picture. I tried to imagine the firing line stretching from one end of the range to the other. I couldn't.

I helped set up the backers on Friday. When the group stopped for a lunch break, one instructor remarked, "We're only halfway done!" We all just smiled as we looked down the long row of backers that was only half of the line.

As the 'fire' command was given for the first time on Saturday morning, all I could do was grin. Hundreds of rifles going off all at once... amazing...

Sunday afternoon, I was offered the chance to shoot a Garand for the first time. THAT was FUN! Thanks Bill 3! :D

This shoot offered the best history I've ever heard. Guy, EEL, Ishy, Hooters Billy... Outstanding! O0 O0 O0

The warm welcome I got from instructors and shooters alike was simply wonderful. Thank you. Meeting all the instructors I had only talked to on the forum was great. After the weekend, I felt like I'd known them my whole life: EEL (even though you kept dropping the zip-ties !@#) ;)), Guy (no more AAR Fairy for you, just Evenstar ;)), West (your name's on my shirt, not the list :D), GoldFish (who'd have guessed a week before that we'd meet in Waterman? :) ), Ishy (your history is awesome!), Lyberty (I forgot to have you do some signing for me!), Hooters Billy (thanks for making me eat lunch, even though by Sunday night I was sick as a dog), Fred (wait, I've met you before - shouldn't you be on your own list? **) Oh, and you didn't have to convince me that I should come to this shoot. ;)), oldgrunt (oh boy... YOU again), Deacon, AFTERMATH, POP, Cristina (ok you're not an instructor, but you rock anyway!), RedNekEng, Green Light (yes, my name IS Evenstar, as a matter of fact ;D), Boba Fett, Mogget, Bill3, techres, MeanStreaker (<3's Idaho! :D), Gopher Boy (AARs.... ;D), Old Glory! (fabulous decals!), and SO MANY MORE! I miss you ALL! Remember, Idaho is only a leap plane-flight away. And it has hills, mountains, and pine trees! ..:.. :cool2:

Hawkhavn, it's always great to see you! SavageShootr, you don't look like my aunt... :D

The worst part of the weekend...

How could the shoot be over so soon?!??! The goodbyes were the hardest part. Never before have I cried when I left an Appleseed... until Waterman 300. You guys are awesome.

A big thank you to those who made this shoot happen - EEL, Guy, WL3, and all those that I don't know about. :bow: And, of course, the shooters. Thanks for coming out to the record-breaking event. It was great working with you all! Come to another shoot, and bring a friend (or two or three).

Thank you for letting me go, Fred!

~Evenstar

P.S. Yep, I've got a few pictures myself.
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

cmidkiff

Quote from: Fat Mike on September 14, 2010, 11:09:05 AM
KR from MO - You were a fantastic instructor and really took good care of us. Who are you on the forum?

KR from MO would be Longshot... and yes, he is a fantastic instructor, and a good guy all 'round.

Wish I could have made it out... it appears you folks had as good a time as I expected you would!

Greybeard

GoldFish

I know it's been said by many already, but it's just the perfect way to describe this weekend...WOW!!!  

First of all, THANK YOU Guy and EEL for making this shoot happen; as Guy said, without you EEL, this shoot would have been a lot different...and not for the better.  Guy, I agree with that about EEL's help, but I also think the same about you and what you did to make it a success.  Great job.

Thank you to the whole Dangerous Old Family that so graciously provided me with the opportunity to make it to the Waterman 300.  With out you guys, I could not say anything that I'm about to.  Thanks!

Getting to meet and put faces with so many Instructors and IIT's that I've talked to and worked with was something that I'll never forget: EEL, AFTERMATH, Evenstar, Western Rose, TruTenacity, Mogget, Pappy, techres, hawkhavn, Gumballhead, SavageShootr, Garand69, Old Glory, Dragonfly, Deacon, POP, and so many more...  

At this event I finally had the chance to listen to the sound of Freedom...over 200 rifles going boom boom boom at the same time! :D :---  Breathtaking.    

AFTERMATH, thanks for all you did in Platoon #4.  I greatly enjoyed and appreciated getting to work and learn from you.  Fantastic job.

Pappy, thank you for manning the repair tent for the weekend; it definitely saved me a lot of time and aggravation.  

Ishy, your history was inspiring, and you getting your RH was just...well...read what I think of that on the Congrats Thread.  (http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=16777.msg137160;topicseen#msg137160)

I believe this was the best Jr. Instructor group we've ever had in one spot in AS history.  Ishy, Western Rose, Evenstar, Green Light, Lyberty, Litlbit, .5, and myself.  Eventhough I'm one of the older Jr.'s, I learned from all of you, yes ALL OF YOU!!!  Western Rose and Evenstar, meeting you both was absolutely Amazing.  I hope we meet up again, and soon.  

EEL, your benediction on Saturday night was the best I'd ever heard, ever.  The the exhortations you gave, stories you told, and the PASSION you delivered everything with hit me like a .50 cal bullet right in the chest and made me tear up.  Never before had I done that with history.  If for no other reason, I am glad I came simply to meet, talk, and learn from you.  Thank you.

West, MeanStreaker, and EEL.  You guys are IT.  I-T.  IT.  The way you run the program, with passion, belief, and conviction, makes me aspire to be a better person and a better instructor.  It's because of you that I'm in this program.  Thank you for signing my hat.  West, what you told me makes me wanna be a SB even more.  

This is the top 2 Appleseeds of my life, up there with the one when I got the Rifleman patch.

Pics coming soon...

---GoldFish  
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

PHenry

Well, I can see that my feelings just don't count around here. I mean ya'll knew it would kill me to hear about this event. Least ya coulda done was lie and say it was all bad, or jist kep it to yerselves!  !@#)

Seriously, after reading this (especially Eel's post - gulp), I am kicking myself for not finding a way to have been there. Will not make same error next year - Lord willin', I'll be there. Maybe I can learn something about priorities while I'm there.  :wb:

I already know better - life is short. Carpe Diem!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Strong

techres

I rolled in Friday to find that EEL and the Illinois crew had already done a huge amount of work to get the line up and running. 

Soon it was time to have all the assembled instructors and staff run through the course of fire, re-cover the plan for the next day, and have all sorts of final meetings:

Finally we ended with a dinner in the dark and headed off to the camping site to chat and sleep.

Saturday morning rolled in and with it some grey clouds and slight rain.  Despite the weather, some 250 patriots gathered to learn, instruct, and re-dedicate themselves to their nation.  We began in rain gear and good cheer, listening to the safety brief and instructions:

Even international media had arrived to see Americans at work and listen to some words from Fred:

Then it was time to listen to 200+ rifles fire off 2600+ rounds into the red coat targets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXBoWKdP8s0

The camera was unable to capture the rolling thunder sounds I heard.   Off at the opposite side of the line were some big guns and the distinct sound of at least one Mosin. 

Soon the instruction began with 10 platoons leaders each running their own part of the line as sub teams.  The system worked well and the weather also let up on us.  Soon it was a sunny day with winds and a lot of fun:

Here is Meanstreaker's section of the line where I spent some time watching one of our 10 best do his thing:

Soon it was time to gather up at the center, get some grub and listen to some history:

Then it was back to the line.  When I was not helping out our visiting reporter, I visited different teams up and down the line.  Here is Wurstmacher and his team teaching positions:

On his line there was a great father/son team who were having a ball and were great students.  I love watching a kid teach dad during ball & dummy as it is the only time kids are openly asked to lie, cheat and deceive their parents!  I see smiles all around here:

Up the line with Meanstreaker there was more fun with yet more students of all kinds.  This student was doing great and was very good at patiently working through all the instruction and information she was getting.  And she was quite the trooper, doing it all with a smile:

Youth shooters particularly draw my attention as they are the future of our nation and are also up against more challenges than young adults.  Meanstreaker had a young man on his line that was struggling hard, but got the best of our instructors to work with him:

He had to bow out and take a seat under his family's tent come afternoon but on the end of the weekend, he left with a smile on his face and a handfull of prized spent brass in varying calibers!

And he was not the only one, there were kids of all ages up and down the line. 

The day drew to an end with us racing the sun to get in an AQT after finishing the day's history. 

Results?!  Riflemen!  That and a whole lot of Americans having learned and exercised their freedoms together all on the same day...

Sunday started with amazing weather and quickly we got into the AQT's and everyone got their chance to join the line, orange, red and blue hats took their turn to join the fun and polish skills:

And after another great day it was time to complete our histories (including an amazing one by Ishy), score up our AQT's and say good bye to new friends.

I want to send out thanks to all those who came as shooters as well as those who came to instruct as well as to support the shoot.  You all are what makes the magic happen together.  Thank you.

An additional thanks goes out to the media team who took all the pictures between Posterboy, myself and others!  Please remember to post your stuff here as well as send me a PM so we can link up together for future work!

Lastly, thanks to the AppleCore blue hats who came out to help work outside of Indiana where they were started.  You guys did great, especially after I got out of your way.  Thanks again!

EEL, Garand69, Guy, everyone - Thanks to you all.  You dreamed it, you did it, I was proud to be there and part of it. 

Hope to see you all on the line again soon,
Techres

P.S. In my allergy medicine haze, I forgot the name of one of our photographers on the line.  She was doing a great job and I want to be sure to contact her.  Please let me know:

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Western Rose

Quote from: techres on September 14, 2010, 04:36:10 PM
P.S. In my allergy medicine haze, I forgot the name of one of our photographers on the line.  She was doing a great job and I want to be sure to contact her.  Please let me know:

GoldFish's sister, Cristina.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast