News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR; Waterman 300 9/10

Started by spitstickler, September 11, 2010, 01:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scout26

I know I'm a little late in posting.  But I first want to thank everyone from Appleseed that came out and made this event a happen.  I'd especially like to thank Eel, OldGrunt, Wurstmacher, Evenstar, and Pop.   My son really enjoyed himself and can't wait to come again and get his Rifleman patch.

I've received several phone calls both here at the ASC office and the my cell phone from people who attended and the overwhelming positive response.  They all gave Appleseed their highest praise and are energized and motivated to come back and shoot again.

Like these callers, I learned a great deal more about that fateful day and the speeched stirred the hearts and souls of those listening.  One caller related that it was hard to listen to Eel as his voice broke up while telling the stories of American Patriots and true heros.

I'm proud that so that I participated in this historic event and look forward to our continued partnership in producing American Riflemen.

Dave Liddy
President
Aurora Sportsmen's Club

GoldFish

Quote from: EEL on September 19, 2010, 08:48:32 PM
Some aerial pics courtesy of Chicago Skydiving Center.....

Awesome EEL!  Thanks for working to arrange that and making it happen. ..:.. 
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Old Glory!

Scout26 SIR! 

Aurora Sportsman's Club is top notch.  Thanks for all your hospitality.  Both range AND indoor facilities.  :bow:   

As instructors we truly appreciated being able to camp, along with the use of your large garage and indoor rooms as well.  Indoor plumbing, shower, kitchen, ginormous coffeemaker; you spoiled us. O0

When plans began for this historic Appleseed, I knew there would be no other place I would rather be on September 11, than listening to EEL's story on the spirit of the American Revolution living on in ALL of the personal sacrifices that have been made throughout America's short history.   

The American Revolution was never meant to be contained in history books, but to continue on in the hearts and minds of true Americans. 

Therein lies Hope for America. 

Thanks again for hosting, and to the future!
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Cooper

Amen, and thank you, Sir!!

Awesome event and an inspiration to all.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Franke

I would like to say that the 300 shoot was impresive. I can not imagine the efforts put forth by our local and out of state voluenteers, everyone of you deserves an hata-boy. I had the privilage to bring with me one other rifleman and two people who had never been to an appleseed. Having attended more than a couple appleseeds I was confident new and old shooters could enjoy the experiance togather.  I am sad to say this shoot did not have the atmosphere the two new shooters needed.
    In conclusion i would like to say that the average size shoot of about 30 shooters seems to work great and i envy the person who drempt the idea of having a 300 person line, but the personal instrution time seemed to suffer. I hope these thoughts on my experiance can be put to good use.

SkyHawk

Quote from: Franke on September 27, 2010, 01:20:41 PM
  I am sad to say this shoot did not have the atmosphere the two new shooters needed.

Frankie - thanks for bringing the new shooters as that is very commendable and not always as easy to do as one would think?  Can you comment what about the atmosphere was lacking?  Do the typical smaller shoots seem to be what these shooters were looking for?  If so do you have plans to try and bring them to another?  There are many more opportunities still coming up in Oct that might be just what they are looking for. 
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

Chiburbian

As the 300 was my first Appleseed, I can't speak to how it was different.  I can say that the "firehose" seemed like it was powered by a pressure washer.  While I did enjoy the history lessons and the expertise of the instructors, I felt like I was rushed past my ability to learn.  I spent the second half of the day playing catch up it seemed.  I have to say in my case much of it was due to the loop sling.  Having to put it on and adjust it properly in the limited time before each string of fire often resulted in me missing the command to fire.  I remember one string of fire that was supposed to be two magazines of 5 in a limited time.  I got off four shots before the cease fire.

Much of this was me fighting my gear and lack of practice at getting it all set up quickly.  I just would have appreciated a bit more time.  I did like learning new skills piece by piece though - I think it was later in the day that I got overwhelmed.

I WILL be back at the next Waterman 300, but I will also make it a point to attend at least one additional event beforehand to get me up to speed.

EEL

Chiburbian,
It's easy to get overwhelmed!  There was alot thrown at you, all at once! :o  Not to worry.  The usual is for someone to attend 2-3 Appleseeds before it all starts coming together.  We have another shoot at Waterman Nov 6-7.  There are other shoots in Illinois as well.  Ottawa, Illinois State Rifle Assn range in Bonfield, Clinton, and Alton.

Get back to one of these so what you have already learned isn't forgotten before you can refresh it and put it to muscle memory.  It really is a perishable skill.  If you don't keep it sharp, it fades.....quickly.

Glad you came out.  Glad you enjoyed the history and instruction.  Glad you chose to be a part of the solution!  Look forward to having you on the line again.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.