News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Who's ready for an IBC in Florida?

Started by PHenry, April 30, 2010, 07:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

It has been brung to my attention by a number of good people that it is high time we hadt another Instructor Boot Camp in Florida so the new IITs can git a leg up and some of us old timers can git a much needed refresher in the process.

I stand ready to run it, based upon the POI written by none other than the infamous Junior Birdman hisself - just let me know how many are interested and the area in which ye reside and I will post some possible dates / venues.

Let the passing of the tradition begin!  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

willorith

I'm ready. We have many fresh new IITs that need seasoning and well seasoned old crusty RIs that need refreshing.

W.
We are but human.

theri

I am interested.  I just became an ITT but would like to go through an IBC and move through the ITT ranks.  I live in Jacksonville.
Whiskey Tango 9

west151precinct

douglas34474

I'm in and I'm confident Ms. Clinnon will be there also.

Lets start working on a date.

echodog

DrJohn

I would like at attend an IBC also.  Keep me in the loop as to location and date.

DrJohn
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

PHenry

Wow! - that's 8 so far. That's plenty to git it rolling. We ask that a couple RIs assist to keep time monkey in his cage.

Let's look into venue first and then date. Possible venues:

Wyoming Antelope Club in Pinellas Park (my local club - they "owe" me and I could provide a good bit of free lodging at my shop / travel trailer and house)
Myakka (free and likely many dates open)
Hernando (reduced opps, owing to club house being off limits and range hard to git, but has food on site and big lodgings up road)
Ft. Myers - Glen Maxie (could likely git him to hold off on gourmet eats to keep costs down - camping OK)
Bradford Sportsman's Farm - near Starke (pricey, but free lodgings if TF's aunt still open to offering and range to 600+)

Any other idears welcome.

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ThaiFighter

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

RickB

I'm happy to help out.  Let me know.  WAC would be convenient (for Trey and me).
RickB

PHenry

RickB,
Roger that and I can provide free accoms for quite a few as well, but we need to determine geography for all to keep aggregate driven miles to minimum.
PH

ThaiFighter

I have two empty rooms that are comfortably outfitted for guests.   I also have a comfortable sofa.   Must love dogs. 
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

PHenry

TF,
What county are you in? The WAC is in Pinellas
PH

ThaiFighter

Quote from: PHenry on May 05, 2010, 12:05:32 PM
TF,
What county are you in? The WAC is in Pinellas
PH

I'm in land o lakes.  Right off 54 by veteran's xpwy.  It's 30-45 min out to largo from my place depending on traffic.

-GBS

marrandy

I wouldn't mind a refresher as well as I've been out of the loop the past 4-months.

PHenry

marrandy!
I thought we'd lost ya sir. If you still have the info - study up and if not send me an email @ tdawson@tampabay.rr.com and I will reply with a bunch of good info. Good to see your name on forum and will be even better to see you in person.
PH

9mm4545

I would be interested. Keep me posted as to where and when.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

gcvaughn

I'm also interested, will be keeping an eye out for more info.
I like shooting with precision.  It appeals to every part of me- AdobeWallsOfFla

PHenry

Breaking news! A fellow Appleseeder, "NHale", has graciously offered a possible location for our IBC. It's near Adventure Island in Tampa, so that's pretty much in the middle of the state - inconvenient for most of us ('cept ItsanSKS).

Check out the layout!:
We have a fairly large lobby that we used to hold church services in (about 12-16 people), a conference room (8-10 people), a break room (16-20 people) and two sets of rest rooms. All air conditioned. In addition, we have 2 warehouse bays that are about 16x120ft to lay out mock lines. The warehouse is large, and private. The temps are generally around 82-84 degrees in the summer. Very comfortable if we partially open the bay doors.

The conference room has a 4x8 ft white board that doubles as the screen for the computer projector. It also has DVD, VHS and Cable connections. The projector can also be moved to the break room if needed.

For a summer IBC - this sounds ideal to me. AC for classroom session and shaded / private area for mock Appleseeds. I can put some people up at my shop and in my travel trailer - I am about 25 miles / 40 minutes away, or there are myriad hotels and campgrounds closer.

Everyone chime in and let's get this going!  O0

PHenry

ThaiFighter

saaaaaawwwwweeeeeeettttt!

Thank you Mr Hale!

I have two empty and comfortably furnished rooms available en la casa for guests.  I also have a smoker and grill, which I'm told turns out some decent grub on occasion.

let me know what I can do. 

-GBS

NHale

You all are very welcome for whatever modest hospitality we may offer. If we can't serve as instructors ourselves, it would deeply honor us to serve those who can.

For any overflow for PH's and Thai's guest facilities and/or couches, there are probably a dozen hotels within a five minute drive of this place.
(Personally, my In-Laws stay at the LaQuinta on Fowler Ave.)

For those with families, you might consider sending them to spend the day(s) at either Busch Gardens or Adventure Island. We're also right around the corner from MOSI for folks that prefer air conditioned recreation.

Okay folks, let's get with the gang and get this show on the road. Not enough redhats around these parts for my liking...

-NH

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

marrandy

PHenry

To All:
This proposed IBC location is directly north of Adventure Island in Tampa, FL:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS229US230&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=adventure+island&fb=1&gl=us&hq=adventure+island&hnear=Clearwater,+FL&cid=0,0,18444424486563194559&ei=-IUzTLmwGsT68AbG9omUAw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQnwIwAA

I have a proposed date of August 7th and 8th. Who's in? I need to know ASAP, and I will place  call to a MI I know that may want to come down and assist us.

This would be two days - all day - and includes everything needed to instruct at an event. From IIT0 to SIs - these are great for all, from learning it cold to refreshing a rusty memory.

And NHale is spot on when he says there are not enough instructors around here. We are currently on track to fail here in Florida in 2011, owing to lack of staffing. Our excellent SC, ItsanSKS is lining up more venues than we have instructors to staff them with. The program here in Florida is currently being kept alive by a very small number of very dedicated individuals who are in danger of burnout from working too many events.

I say this not to be negative or to apply guilt - I am merely stating hard facts. This ship is sinking - everyone here knows this to be true.  The only chance of saving our country lies is sheer numbers. We need to get a large number of Americans involved in their system of government right now and I know of no better way to do that than Appleseeds.

Who's in?  O0 O0

marrandy

Quote from: PHenry on July 06, 2010, 04:47:52 PM
To All:
This proposed IBC location is directly north of Adventure Island in Tampa, FL:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS229US230&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=adventure+island&fb=1&gl=us&hq=adventure+island&hnear=Clearwater,+FL&cid=0,0,18444424486563194559&ei=-IUzTLmwGsT68AbG9omUAw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQnwIwAA

I have a proposed date of August 7th and 8th. Who's in? I need to know ASAP, and I will place  call to a MI I know that may want to come down and assist us.

I'm going to commit myself as that weekend is clear.  Drive is about 40 mins.   

Martin

marrandy

ThaiFighter

-GBS

theri

PHenry

I have general understanding of waht an IBC is but would like some more details so I can determine if I will be able to attend the IBC in Tampa on Aug 7-8.  You state that it would be all day both days so I assume that you will start around 8:00-8:30 AM and end around 5:00-6:00 PM both days.  Is this correct or will it run through the evening on Saturday?

My understanding is that the cost is $70.00 for both days and that you will be able to register at the door. 

Will there be any actual shooting or is it all classroom demonstration sessions?  If we will be shooting,  how much ammunition should we bring?  Will there be any longer distance shooting or just the normal 25 meters?

Also what should the attendees bring with them to the IBC?  I assume a copy of the Instructor's Manual and maybe Paul Revere's Ride but what else is needed?

I am fairly new to being an Appleseed IIT and am not completely "up to speed" on what an IBC involves.  Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

theri
Whiskey Tango 9

PHenry

theri,
Here's an older explanation of what an IBC is - most of it still valid as far as I know:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10615.0

You are correct on hours and as we are all volunteers - do what you can - I will never fault an IIT for doing their best - only for not doing anything, as we all know the importance of our mission.

Cost - interesting question. I know that the standard fee for an IBC used to be $100, but as I will not be asking for any reimbursement myself - I will look into any discounts that may be possible. I will be notifying a MI of our plans, so that may create a hitch in that git along. Anyone who has previously attended an IBC or RBC is exempt from an charges as it is considered cont ed / refresher and we wish to encourage same.

Bring a legal pad and pencils for notes. Also, bring a rifle and empty mag, but no ammo, as there would be no shooting at this IBC - no range available. Also bring lunch, snacks and water.

An IBC is designed to be a high speed / low drag way to learn the mechanics of instructing the right way. If you apply yourself and do well on final exam (no pressure - group test), you may be promoted as high as IIT3, but that is fairly rare and has little to do with the purpose / goal of the IBC.

I hope I have answered your questions,
PH

marrandy

I was going to post but thought I would wait for Trey to respond.

I would like to add...

Bring a Mat, elbow/knee pads if you have them.  You will likely be asked to volunteer and get down on the ground to demo positions and bad form so other instructors can learn and correct.

If you have multiple rifles, bring an unusual magazine fed one.  Not many of us have multiple rifle experience and it will be good to learn the intricacies of different rifles so we know how to help people on the line at events.

Training basically consists of learning the line commands, safety,  pupil instruction (lots there) and pupil corrections (also lots there and you need good observation skills as you will be identifying and correcting pupil errors).

But its enjoyable so come with an open mind and study the manual and better still, practice and ask somone to watch you and correct mistakes.  It all helps.  :-)

PHenry