News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New to Appleseed in NY? Check in here.

Started by B9, March 09, 2010, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

Welcome to the NY Appleseed board!
If you are new to the program post a hello here and you can connect with others in your area.*
Questions about any NY shoots?
Questions about the program in general?
Questions about how to help bring Appleseed to your home range?

My self and the NY team are here to help.

*I have been meaning to put this thread up for a while. People new to the program can not start a topic and did not have a place to ask questions.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

Quote from: KKA on March 16, 2010, 11:17:26 PM
I'm new here.  Just learning how to navigate around.  I'm not an Appleseed participant - my better half is.  I am in the beginning stages of learning to shoot.  Someday soon I hope to be able to complete an entire weekend of an Appleseed shoot.

Welcome. Spend some time poking around.
Are you and your better half registered for a April 17-18 shoot in NY?
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

ch45x7

So I'm going to my first Appleseed in a couple of weeks.  Couple of things.  First I can't seem to start my own post, not sure why, but new post tab isn't available.
Second, does anyone have any info on the New Bremen shoot coming up in June?
I'm going to this one but had some questions about camping on site.  I have a long drive to get there so I wanted to find out if camping Friday night is allowed.
Also is there someone I have to notify that I will be coming?  I had signed up for the Albion shoot but it was canceled and New Bremen was offered.  I replied to the email I received but, I like to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Thanks for the help

B9

Quote from: ch45x7 on May 25, 2010, 04:50:20 AM
So I'm going to my first Appleseed in a couple of weeks.  Couple of things.  First I can't seem to start my own post, not sure why, but new post tab isn't available.
Second, does anyone have any info on the New Bremen shoot coming up in June?
I'm going to this one but had some questions about camping on site.  I have a long drive to get there so I wanted to find out if camping Friday night is allowed.
Also is there someone I have to notify that I will be coming?  I had signed up for the Albion shoot but it was canceled and New Bremen was offered.  I replied to the email I received but, I like to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Thanks for the help

Welcome.

The inability to start a post could be a couple of things.
1. This is a working forum not a chat forum and the intention was to help curve idle chit chat. Success of that is debatable.
2. You did not see this post on how to get involved with your state. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8534.0 Not shocked that you did not see it lost in all the idle chit chat.
3. Something not quite right with your "account" or the forum itself. I know very little about it but I do know that some very talented volunteers are working hard to come up with a better plan/system/forum

After hearing of some users not being able to start a thread is when this "Welcome" thread was started. Kind of a place to do just what you did.

"Info on the New Bremen shoot coming up in June?"

OK, everything I know in 100 words or less....

Free on site camping is available Friday and Saturday. As of now two of NY's finest are signed up to Instruct and they are due at the range Friday afternoon. Another D.O.M and Josey Wales are their screen names here if you would like to touch base with them. Shoot Boss TBD but most likely will be Boltgun71. A man who knows very well what he is about. The range has real restrooms (minus showers) a stove and a refrigerator. Water is not drinkable. Contained campfires are allowed, bring your own wood. Mosquitoes are epic. I could tell you stories but better to have you tell me them after the shoot. 25 meters, 100, 200, 400 yard lanes.  
Medea Benjamin

Another D.O.M.

Thanks for the quick update Ed!

I plan to head out for New Bremen early to mid morning on Friday the 11th; Google Maps says it's about a two hour 45 minute drive for me and I expect to arrive at the range somewhere between 1 and 3.  The plan at this point is to set up the target & firing lines during the afternoon and then wait for campers to arrive to greet them and help them get settled in.  Nick (Josey Wales) and I don't plan to camp, we'll share a room in town for the weekend; and John (Boltgun71) says he lives close enough to the range to drive home each night.

If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to contact me - you can send me a PM through this forum, you can email mjanspacher@gmail.com or you can call me at 518-282-4759.

We're looking forward to another fabulous Appleseed weekend in upstate NY.  See you on Friday!
MJA

"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

ch45x7

Thanks for the quick replies and the info.  My questions about the shoot seem to be answered, the question about why I can't start a thread I'm not going to worry about.
That weekend can't come soon enough.  I'm going to try to get my .22 sighted in this weekend if I can find land.  I also plan on bringing my Garand and M44 for the longer range shooting.  I don't get to shoot these nearly as much as I would like.
So I guess I will be showing up late afternoon/early evening.  Just wish I could have convinced others to come along; maybe I will have better luck once I can give them first hand knowledge.

The Postman

FNG here . . . I plan to attend the New Breman Appleseed June 12 - 13. Can I shoot the whole course with a Ruger 22LR? I believe in the "KISS Principle", so I do not want to bring the M1 or M14 unless we will be required to be shooting way out there . .

Do you have 10/22 loaners if I bring a buddy with no rifle?

Also, how bad are the Mosqitos and Black Flies??
"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. "
Ronald Reagan, October 27, 1964

B9

Quote from: The Postman on June 04, 2010, 11:45:18 PM
FNG here . . . I plan to attend the New Breman Appleseed June 12 - 13. Can I shoot the whole course with a Ruger 22LR? I believe in the "KISS Principle", so I do not want to bring the M1 or M14 unless we will be required to be shooting way out there . .

Do you have 10/22 loaners if I bring a buddy with no rifle?

New Bremen will have known distance shooting so bring the center fire if you have it. "Way out there"? Max KD at NB is 400 yards.
Bring your buddy and check with Another D.O.M to see if he has a loaner available.

" Mosqitos and Black Flies??" I did not see any black flies in the last 2 June shoots but Mosquito's were big, bad, and determined. Don't want to scare anyone away but I would be negligent if I did not tell you about them. 
Medea Benjamin

R1SGx2

Nice,
Team NY Gearing Up, Packing Up and Moving out again. ..:..
Proud O0
My next AS is following weekend in Bennington Vt. w/ Crak and Buzzworth.
Got the AS fever, have to keep seeding.

A/DOM need anything I got for next weekend?

ch45x7
QuoteJust wish I could have convinced others to come along; maybe I will have better luck once I can give them first hand knowledge.
Be prepared to learn, you will be spending this weekend with some of the best NY has to offer. top shelf good people. You will have plenty to share with your friends to bring them along to the next NY AS.
QuoteI also plan on bringing my Garand
Nice, respect this Rifle for what it is, one of the best ever produced. Enjoy your weekend. Then watch for the AAR after to share with your friends.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Longshot91

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum thing so bear with me... My father and i attended an Appleseed in Slippery Rock PA over this past weekend and i have to say it was great!!  Despite some soaking rain at the end of our first day we had an amazing time and learned a lot. Our instructor (Spanner) along with his IIT's were great and taught us a great deal.  You guys are running a great program and i hope to attend another Appleseed in the future, preferably in my home state of NY next time! 

Another D.O.M.

Hello Longshot91 - welcome to the forum and welcome to Appleseed!

Yes, Appleseed tends to grab hold of you and not let go; and it's a good feeling!  I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend in Slippery Rock.  I have worked with Spanner several times in the past and I have a great deal of respect and admiration for him - in my opinion he's one of the best.

We have many Appleseed events scheduled in NY over the course of this summer, beginning with New Breman June 12 & 13, then Throop July 10 & 11, followed by Burlington Flats July 17 & 18 (this one is sold out), then on to Van Etten August 21 & 22 and then several during September (see the current schedule at http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php).  Depending upon your location within NY you might also consider another 'border raid' into VT for Bennington June 19 & 20 or August 14 & 15 (a Bennington Battle Day celebration).  We are also in the planning stages of several more NY events through the end of the year, so check the schedule often for updates.

Please consider becoming active on the State level by visiting Getting Connected and Active with Appleseeders in your State.  As a rapidly growing organization, Appleseed needs many volunteers for a variety of tasks that need to be completed - and you can help!

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions - I can be reached by PM on the forum, by wemail at mjanspacher@gmail.com, by phone at 518-282-4759, or by mail at Mark Anspacher, 81 New Shaker Rd., Albany NY  12205.

Thanks for responding on this thread, and again, welcome!
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Nickle

Quote from: B9 on June 05, 2010, 10:49:50 AM

" Mosqitos and Black Flies??" I did not see any black flies in the last 2 June shoots but Mosquito's were big, bad, and determined. Don't want to scare anyone away but I would be negligent if I did not tell you about them. 

The mosquitos and black flies aren't bad, they're much worse!

I've spent plenty of time at nearby Ft Drum, as well as a couple of trips to New Breman, and can tell you they are as bad at New Bremean as they are on Ft Drum.

You really need to consider bringing that M1, but if you don't have a center fire, don't worry, your .22 will go out to 100 yards, no problem. With a little work (calculating the come-ups), it will go out to 400.

And, I'll through out a shameless pitch for one of the better events for the area, Jericho, VT, for those of you New Yorkers that leave in the eastern Adirondack and Albany area. A good time to get some time in on the KD range, and we will be shooting FD/AQT's on Sunday afternoon. For Jericho, you really do need a centerfire with you on Sunday. We've got a good crew there, so we can help you figure out the needed adjustments, and we may even sneak in a 600 yard volley, time permitting (we MUST end shooting no later than 3:59 on Sunday). Dates are 10-11 July and 12-13 September. Primitive camping is OK on site. You might get a Saturday lullaby courtesy of any troops doing night firing (and at least one unit plans on night firing 12 Sep).
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Spanner

The black flies are friendly, and will come right up to you.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

GIFF

I'm new to Appleseed shooting, maybe I'll go to one this year if i find one close. O0

sgtrock

So where do you live? (county) if not in NY what state?

Check the schedule on the home page and see,

Mind Games

Just checking in and saying hi. I am new to the forum, but not new to Appleseed. I am boltgun71's better half. I have been to 6 to 7 Appleseed's and just recently shot rifleman, and now I am volunteering to be an IIT. 8)

Shoot Squirrel Yes

Quote from: Mind Games on July 04, 2010, 09:38:15 PM
Just checking in and saying hi. I am new to the forum, but not new to Appleseed. I am boltgun71's better half. I have been to 6 to 7 Appleseed's and just recently shot rifleman, and now I am volunteering to be an IIT. 8)

Dog help us.

Welcome to the forum.

Squirrel!

sgtrock

Welcome Mind Games

Glad to have you with us!!

sgtrock

KodyJaret

Hey B9,,,that's quite an avatar. The patriots' I'm acquainted w/ are more than a little hoary & grizzled. ;)

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Mind Games on July 04, 2010, 09:38:15 PMJust checking in and saying hi. I am new to the forum, but not new to Appleseed. I am boltgun71's better half. I have been to 6 to 7 Appleseed's and just recently shot rifleman, and now I am volunteering to be an IIT. 8)
Well hello there Sam!  It's great to hear from you, and great to hear you've achieved the Rifleman patch.  If you don't mind me asking, what was it that put you 'over the top'?  I know we worked on a few different things at New Bremen (not counting the rain dripping down your back from the canopy).

I'll update the New York List of Instructors with your info - welcome to the New York Instructor team, and thank you!
MJA

B9

Quote from: KodyJaret on July 05, 2010, 05:15:35 AM
Hey B9,,,that's quite an avatar. The patriots' I'm acquainted w/ are more than a little hoary & grizzled. ;)

Hope JW and Pepsi don't mind me borrowing their beautiful children. They are what I do this for.
Medea Benjamin

Mind Games

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on July 05, 2010, 11:31:25 AM
Well hello there Sam!  It's great to hear from you, and great to hear you've achieved the Rifleman patch.  If you don't mind me asking, what was it that put you 'over the top'?  I know we worked on a few different things at New Bremen (not counting the rain dripping down your back from the canopy).
MJA

Well, Boltgun had me do an AQT with no time on purpose to eventually make me realize what I was doing wrong and what I should keep the same. And it worked perfectly. I figured out why I was always pulling my first shot, and on that first AQT with no time, I only scored a 204. But it took me an hour to shoot it lol. I think it could possibly be the longest AQT in history lol. But then he made me shoot a couple more with time, and I only got a 198 (my highest score at that point), and then a 185. So the "mind games" started to play a big part in it, I just kept getting so frustrated and kept telling myself that I couldn't do it. Well, with those two scores of course knowing me I got mad and he wanted me to do two more and I didn't want to, but I did them anyways. But because I didn't want to shoot them I didn't care how I did, and it was on the second one that I got a 221! Therefore, the biggest issue for me was the mental issue, once I stopped caring and just started shooting I did fine, and I scored a rifleman's score finally! :)

sgtrock

Yep, Don't Fuss The Shot,,,

I may use your story to inspire people at other shoots,,, sometimes it takes just what you did to get the job done,,, Perfection is the enemy of just good enough,,,

Nice job,, M.G.

sgtrock

LittleMo

Hello,

Checking in after newly registering. I'll be attending my 2nd Appleseed in Bennington in August.

Yeap, I've got the Appleseed Inspiration!  :)

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Another D.O.M.

Hello Gary and welcome to the New York board!  I think you'll like the range in Bennington - nice covered firing line, fantastic scenery, 500m target line.

FYI, if you use GPS or Google Maps to get directions they will take you to someone's house at the end of a dead-end street.  Try this link instead: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=County+Rd+153%2FWolf+Rd&daddr=Phylis+Ln+to:42.949324,-73.188+to:684+Rod+Gun+Club+Rd,+Shaftsbury,+VT+05262&geocode=FX_MiwIdB7-Z-w%3BFXmpjgIdF8yi-w%3B%3BFVmDjwIdL0aj-ymHM-Z8f5HgiTHLgDD7z0xqjg&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1,2&sll=42.950455,-73.193493&sspn=0.030846,0.077162&ie=UTF8&ll=42.833681,-73.471069&spn=0.49447,1.234589&z=10

MJA

LittleMo

From the announcement I've read, the August Bennington Appleseed is a .22 rimfire event only. Even though I have been practicing with my new LTR, 500m is a bit too much for a .22, and from me (at this time).  :)  I'll work on the longer ranges with my centerfires after August.

Hopefully I will do better this time. At the April Appleseed at SaraSpa, I had a big share of equipment problems, as well as operator problems. The covered firing line will be nice in case of weather or the August Sun. (I was mud up to my knees back in April!)

I've been practicing using downloaded QD-AQT's at about 25m. Unfortunately the range where I shoot does not allow prone or offhand shooting, only from a bench (aka a modified picnic table, which I think is made of petrified wood!). I don't use a benchrest for shooting after having gotten my new LTR sighted in.

Can you suggest a way I can simulate prone, sitting, and offhand while live-fire shooting from the bench?

The training is great and it WAS the primary reason for attending my first Appleseed, knowing nothing about Appleseed at that time. The history lessons of the Revolutionary War at Appleseed are second to none!

The inspiration came when I heard the students being told, whatever your stance is on whatever the topic be, whether it be pro or con, communicate it! To hear that so soon after being told that same thing from a different source just a few weeks earlier, is what got me hooked! The heritage. The commitment. The calling. The teaching. The learning. The leadership. Appleseed!

LittleMo

Quote from: LittleMo on July 08, 2010, 06:45:42 PM
From the announcement I've read, the August Bennington Appleseed is a .22 rimfire event only. Even though I have been practicing with my new LTR, 500m is a bit too much for a .22, and from me (at this time).  :)  I'll work on the longer ranges with my centerfires after August.

Hopefully I will do better this time. At the April Appleseed at SaraSpa, I had a big share of equipment problems, as well as operator problems. The covered firing line will be nice in case of weather or the August Sun. (I was mud up to my knees back in April!)

I've been practicing using downloaded QD-AQT's at about 25m. Unfortunately the range where I shoot does not allow prone or offhand shooting, only from a bench (aka a modified picnic table, which I think is made of petrified wood!). I don't use a benchrest for shooting after having gotten my new LTR sighted in.

Can anyone suggest a way I can simulate prone, sitting, and offhand while live-fire shooting from the bench?

The training is great and it WAS the primary reason for attending my first Appleseed, knowing nothing about Appleseed at that time. The history lessons of the Revolutionary War at Appleseed are second to none!

The inspiration came when I heard the students being told, whatever your stance is on whatever the topic be, whether it be pro or con, communicate it! To hear that so soon after being told that same thing from a different source just a few weeks earlier, is what got me hooked! The heritage. The commitment. The calling. The teaching. The learning. The leadership. Appleseed!

R1SGx2

QuoteFrom the announcement I've read, the August Bennington Appleseed is a .22 rimfire event only. Even though I have been practicing with my new LTR, 500m is a bit too much for a .22, and from me (at this time).    I'll work on the longer ranges with my centerfires after August.
Bennington is 25 yards covered, Saraspa in September is now covered also. Sorry bout the mud. But whats the weather got to do with it.
Practice dry firing, NPOA, you on it, you better be...
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: LittleMo on July 08, 2010, 06:45:42 PMFrom the announcement I've read, the August Bennington Appleseed is a .22 rimfire event only. Even though I have been practicing with my new LTR, 500m is a bit too much for a .22, and from me (at this time).  :)  I'll work on the longer ranges with my centerfires after August.
That is correct, the Appleseed is rimfire only and any KD shooting will be rimfire to 100 or 200(?) yds.  However, after the Appleseed is officially over some folks may choose to stick around for a bit and shoot centerfire KD up to 500 m.

QuoteHopefully I will do better this time. At the April Appleseed at SaraSpa, I had a big share of equipment problems, as well as operator problems. The covered firing line will be nice in case of weather or the August Sun. (I was mud up to my knees back in April!)
Equipment 'issues' and weather are two things we cannot control; however, as I have heard many times on the Appleseed line, if this was easy everyone would be a Rifleman.  One of the things that sets the true Rifleman apart from 'shooters' is perseverance to overcome these other influences.

QuoteI've been practicing using downloaded QD-AQT's at about 25m. Unfortunately the range where I shoot does not allow prone or offhand shooting, only from a bench (aka a modified picnic table, which I think is made of petrified wood!). I don't use a benchrest for shooting after having gotten my new LTR sighted in.

Can you suggest a way I can simulate prone, sitting, and offhand while live-fire shooting from the bench?
No, that isn't possible.  What I would suggest is dry-firing and save your ammo for the Appleseeds.  You can practice all of the fundamentals of precision rifle marksmanship by dry firing - the Six Steps to Firing the Shot, NPOA, NPOA shifts, safe transitions, etc.  I've attached two targets below that can be used for dry fire practice in almost any living room or basement.

QuoteThe training is great and it WAS the primary reason for attending my first Appleseed, knowing nothing about Appleseed at that time. The history lessons of the Revolutionary War at Appleseed are second to none!
Our goal is to awaken the sleeping American in our citizens by teaching them their heritage, and the sacrifices that were made by our ancestors for our freedoms.  It is our responsibility as Americans to become involved in how this country is governed, just as those men and women back in 1775 faced down the largest, most powerful army in the world to retain the right to have a say in how their country was to be governed.  The differnece, of course, is that we don't have to commit an act of treason to do so - we have a written Constitution that provides the rules and groundwork for our participation in our government.

QuoteThe inspiration came when I heard the students being told, whatever your stance is on whatever the topic be, whether it be pro or con, communicate it! To hear that so soon after being told that same thing from a different source just a few weeks earlier, is what got me hooked! The heritage. The commitment. The calling. The teaching. The learning. The leadership. Appleseed
Precisely!  Let those who have been chosen to represent our interests kinow how they are doing - and if they're not representing The People, fire 'em!

Hope to see you in September at SaraSpa!
MJA

The Postman

I was supposed to do the New Bremen shoot last month but the gods conspired against me. I am registered for the Burlington Flats Appleseed this weekend. It will be my first Appleseed and I am really looking forward to it. Also looking forward to making new friends there.

Peace, Out \ /

The Postman
"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. "
Ronald Reagan, October 27, 1964