News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New to Appleseed in NY? Check in here.

Started by B9, March 09, 2010, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshot91

Hey folks!

So i just purchased a surplus M1 Garand from the CMP! The gun is absolutely beautiful and in pristine condition so naturally i would like to keep it that way, thus i have a few questions on maintenance that i hoped you all might have some answers for. Mainly i was wondering what is the best cleaning product to use for the gun?  Right now i have hoppes but im not sure if that is sufficient. Next i was wondering what would be best to use on the wood?  For this i had someone suggest linseed oil, so i would like to know if that is a viable option for the wood? Well i suppose thats it for now... Any answers you folks might have would be greatly appreciated and i hope to make an appearance with my Garand at an Appleseed in the future!

Thanks in advance!     

B9

Quote from: The Postman on July 12, 2010, 06:46:53 PM
I was supposed to do the New Bremen shoot last month but the gods conspired against me. I am registered for the Burlington Flats Appleseed this weekend. It will be my first Appleseed and I am really looking forward to it. Also looking forward to making new friends there.

Peace, Out \ /

The Postman

B-Flats will be a great shoot. A large number of the NY Instructor crew will be there along with some from WV and Scout, a Master Instructor, from Texas.
You will make new friends at an Appleseed. It's in the rule book somewhere.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

Quote from: Longshot91 on July 13, 2010, 12:51:07 AM
Hey folks!

So i just purchased a surplus M1 Garand from the CMP! The gun is absolutely beautiful and in pristine condition so naturally i would like to keep it that way, thus i have a few questions on maintenance that i hoped you all might have some answers for. Mainly i was wondering what is the best cleaning product to use for the gun?  Right now i have hoppes but im not sure if that is sufficient. Next i was wondering what would be best to use on the wood?  For this i had someone suggest linseed oil, so i would like to know if that is a viable option for the wood? Well i suppose thats it for now... Any answers you folks might have would be greatly appreciated and i hope to make an appearance with my Garand at an Appleseed in the future!

Thanks in advance!     

You have made a wise choice in rifles.

I use Hoppes so I hope it is sufficient. Linseed oil is best for the stock. Be sure it is BOILED linseed oil.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

sgtrock

What B9 said is good, there a few very important grease points on the rifle as well,, Rear of Bolts lugs, Receiver bridge, Bolt channel of receiver, Operating Rod Stud guide way on side of receiver, Bottom of barrel where Op- rod slides back and forth, BUT ONLY Light Coating of Gun Grease, White Lithium is Great for this, and is also a great indicator of when to clean these areas as well, for it will become darker as it gets dirty, keeps you on your toes with maintenance..

You have a Great Rifle there Sir, Treasure it, and it will be there for you for many years to come,,,  

sgtrock

(M1 affectionado)

http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/maint.htm,, check out this link and you'll be good, theres alot stuff there for M1's,,, if you need or want more, let me know

Longshot91

Thank you very much B9 and sgtrock! your information is very helpful and will serve me well.  If i have any other questions i will be sure to let you know... Thanks again!

Longshot91

Josey Wales

..The Postman, Burlington Flats will be a fine shot, I will be there to greet you and introduce you to all our other fine Instructors..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

The Postman

Thanks B9 and Josey Wales . .  I have my 10-22 Liberty Trainer rifle dialed in and ready to go. My wife (Mrs Postman)  will be attending also but not sure if she will be shooting yet.

I have another 10-22 I am putting Tech Sights on on Friday for her to use.

How much 22LR ammo should I bring??

Peace, Out \ /

The Postman
"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. "
Ronald Reagan, October 27, 1964

Spanner

Quote from: Longshot91 on July 13, 2010, 12:51:07 AM
Hey folks!

Thanks in advance!     

Good man!

I used mineral spirits to get the cosmoline off the metal (and wood).  Linseed oil is good, tung oil even better, for finish.  PM me if you want.  Are you going to be at B-flats this weekend?  We could get into it further, face-to-face.  It's going to be a great shoot.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

Josey Wales

Postman
..if you are attending both Saturday and Sunday and you want to be on the safe side 1000 rounds per person  will be enough. You will probably not use them all but that will leave you some ammo to go home with..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

LittleMo

Another D.O.M. & R1sgx2,

Thanks for the advice, and for the dry-fire AQTs.

Unfortunately, I cannot attend the SaraSpa Appleseed in September, which is why I am going to the Bennington Appleseed in August. Yes, the shooting instruction is the best, but its the awakening that has hooked me.

I have been working into discussions about Appleseed. Recently at the range, I overheard another referring to Appleseed so naturally I started talking to him and explaining what Appleseed is about. He had heard of Appleseed but never attended an Appleseed shoot. Without being too pushy, I encouraged him, and the guy he was talking with, to visit the Appleseed web site and to attend the SaraSpa Appleseed.

I have been spreading the word about Appleseed.  :)

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: The Postman on July 13, 2010, 07:55:49 PMHow much 22LR ammo should I bring??
Two bricks (1000 rounds total) per shooter should be more than enough.  Most instructors carry extra with them in case someone runs short or has ammo-related problems.  I'll have several thousand rounds with me - Blazers, Federal, Remington and some Mini-Mags.

The forecast is for partly to mostly sunny with temps in the mid 80s.  Bring plenty of water, sunscreen, snacks, and a pop-up canopy if you like.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Another D.O.M.

Oh, and BTW Sgtrock says the folks who usually put on the outstanding lunches for us when we're in Burlington Flats are all either shooting themselves or out of town.  Everyone should plan to bring enough food for the weekend to cover all of their meals.  There are no fast-food joints nearby...
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: LittleMo on July 13, 2010, 10:56:27 PMI have been spreading the word about Appleseed.  :)
Yup - it does that to you!
MJA

Kam1969

I wish to thank the instructor's at the July 17/18 2010 Burlington Flats Shoot. sat. was quiet eye opening with a lot of info. :o on our history and shooting. My wife "Barbara" who had only fired a rifle 1time before had a good time. the instructors took the time to "get down in the dirt" and give hands on instruction, (Thank you Jose wales).
We thought it would be more of a instruction to shooting rather than a insruction in how to shoot competition. And as we were not able to return on sunday (death in family) we will not give up our goal to obtain a rifeman patch
" Runquam Umquam Redono "  ("Never Give Up")

Another D.O.M.

Great to hear from you Kam1969 and I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed the Burlington Flats event!  I am, however, very sorry to hear about your family misfortune - please accept the condolences of the Appleseed community.

QuoteWe thought it would be more of a instruction to shooting rather than a insruction in how to shoot competition.
I'm not sure I understand this comment - we try to tell folks that Appleseed is not a competition, and the only one you may be competing with is yourself.  Did you get the impression that there was some competition involved?  If so, please let us know so that we can discuss this amongst our instructors.

You may wish to view the event After Action Report at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15286.0 and please feel free to post your own comments.

Thanks once again for your comments and welcome to Appleseed!
MJA

ChevalierdeJohnstone

My guess is Kam1969 is referring to the difference between "tactical firearms training" and "marksmanship".  There are a number of organizations which offer what might be termed "tactical firearms training".  Rarely is the primary emphasis on hitting the target.  The well-known operator of one such course describes it as a "self-defense gun class".  If your primary goal is self-defense, then while aligning Point-of-Impact with Point-of-Aim could certainly be helpful, it is a very, very long-distance second to not getting hurt.

As described to me, Appleseed is a combination History lesson and Marksmanship program.  Again, the real-world "shooter" is probably far less interested in Marksmanship than in achieving the mission objective - whether that objective is defending home and family or putting something in the stew pot.  It is really only in sport or competition that the primary emphasis of firearms use is on Marksmanship.

However...the habits of effective Marksmanship CAN be extremely helpful in any situation which requires more "realistic" shooting goals.  Several commenters over in the forum section "Guy's Mind" have noted that it is far easier to teach a Marksman how to engage in tactical firearms usage than it is to teach a "fast shooter" how to aim.  Good marksmanship - target, or competition shooting - is the foundation on which additional skill with firearms is built.

LittleMo

Just presenting my opinion that a real-world shooter should be interested in markmanship. Whether it be making a clean humane one-shot kill on game for the table or freezer, or to quickly fend off an intruder or home invader, or punching holes precisely on paper targets for fun or competition (or both), or defending your country if the need should ever come.  Markmanship is just one part of becoming a Rifleman.

Gary

("You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." Misattributed to Isoroku Yamamoto (1884-1943).)

Swamphunter

New guy from NY... my brother got me into Appleseed and I had a heck of a great weekend! The instructors were awesome.... dont miss out on a great learning experience!

U.S.Cavalryman

Hey Swamphunter. You did good. You spent couple minutes on the 200 plateau but you dug in and got it. Persistance. Now let's fill the entire club with  @&) shooting Appleseed.
"Only Hits count, you cant miss RAPIDLY enough to catch up"

Rattlehead

Hey all,

been on the forum a while but I seem to have missed this thread.  After the June shoot at New Bremen and this last weekend at Massena, I'll be putting on an Orange Hat this coming weekend (back at New Bremen).

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Rattlehead on August 24, 2010, 11:51:13 PM
Hey all,

been on the forum a while but I seem to have missed this thread.  After the June shoot at New Bremen and this last weekend at Massena, I'll be putting on an Orange Hat this coming weekend (back at New Bremen).
Welcome aboard Rattlehead - thanks for stepping up!
MJA

blasko

Hi,
I attended my first Appleseed in New Bremen this past weekend and had a great time, thanks to all the instructors, rattlehead (i think) for his patience and encouragement with myself & nephew and to boltgun for the opportunity to transfer what I learned to 400yrds, only bummer was my M1 falling apart but I'll get it into shape.

U.S.Cavalryman

Thanks for coming up. hope to see you next year

Another D.O.M.

Welcome aboard blasko!  It's good to see you on the NY board, and I'm glad to hear you had a great time at the shoot.  Those instructors at New Bremen really know how to run a fantastic event!

See you on the trail!
MJA

Olsarge

Attended my first Appleseed in New Bremen.  Took the wife and my 2 boys.  We had a great time and met some great people.  Hope to attend another one soon.

U.S.Cavalryman

Hello OlSarge. Good to have you on board. Glad the Boys had a good time

LittleMo

Curious, has anyone explored the free event postings pages on some local television stations' web sites? An Appleseed event, that is in the area of a given tv station, could be announced using this medium and it appears to be free to list. Locally, WRGB-TV and WXXA-TV both allow users to post announcements for their events. Other tv stations throughout the country may also offer this service. (http://events.cbs6albany.com/listings and http://www.fox23news.com/ugc/cat/communitycalendar/default.aspx)

My fiancée, Sue (who is new to the forum using the nick "The Mrs." that she was jokingly dubbed at her first Appleseed by nyrasgt), pointed out that Yahoo also allows users to post events. (http://upcoming.yahoo.com/) Has this been explored for announcing Appleseed events?

How many people read these event postings, I don't know. It sure is different than the usual places such as gun stores, sporting goods departments at chain department stores, and cork board thumb tack postings. With the Appleseed 300 coming up next weekend and several shoots the following weekend, this might help to fill those lines!

Then a question popped up in my head... Would I be able to post something for Appleseed as a representative of Appleseed, or would it better to let someone higher up the chain do the PR using that medium? If I were to do it, I probably would copy and paste some of the info from the Appleseed main web page into a paragraph or two. I am not an advertising exec; I'm just good at talking to promote Appleseed.  :)

Just a few things that popped into my head while checking local news online...

Gary

Gregch44

Go big or stay home!

R1SGx2

QuoteBye the way, I shot a Colt LE6920 in 5.56 with irons. Thats just a loud .22 right?

Greg, Go big or go home....

Glad you came to the shoot, not many know you decided to come Friday night. AND good job, see ya at the range,

ALSO check on the AAR for Saratoga for comments and pictures.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

tecknicaltom

Hello everybody,
I just registered on the site after finding out about the Appleseed Project lately. I'm not 100% certain that it is what I'm looking for, but I'm hopeful.

I've recently (finally) indulged my desire to get into the shooting sports. A coworker, myself, and our spouses took the first two handgun First Shots classes offered in Springfield, MA through the NSSF. The four of us loved it and are excited to continue to practice and learn more.

One thing that we'd really like to do is to be able to take an introductory class, similar to First Shots, geared towards the proper usage of rifles, ideally renting the firearms for the course. Being that NY's laws are less ridiculous with rifles than handguns, I was hopeful I could find something like this online, but I've been unable to.

Appleseed sounds promising and close to what we're looking for, except for the part about not yet owning guns. Am I incorrect about what Appleseed is really all about? Should I contact the organizer of the specific event to see if rifle borrowing/renting is an option? (Specifically, I'm looking at the event on Nov 20-21 in Lake George).

Thanks for any info and guidance anybody can offer. I'm hoping Appleseed can be our first step towards rifle marksmanship!