News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AZ - Washington's Birthday Match 2011

Started by AZRedhawk44, February 22, 2010, 11:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEWGUY556

I had a good time anyway, I hope everyone else did as well.
Shooting from the standing position with that wind hurt my score, I could not get the rifle to settle down.
My prone slow fire score came up a few points as well as sitting rapid compared to what I have done in the past so I will claim that as my small victory.

Nice Job AZOpie, I was happy that atleast 1 from our group was able to win something.

AZR- I will more than likely be in for Payson.
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

AZOpie

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 24, 2010, 03:48:50 PM
Next up on the AZ Appleseed Instructor whirlwind High Power / CMP circuit:

Payson, June 6th.  9AM to noon, High Power Match.  Unknown COF, probably 10 standing, 10 seated, 10 rapid prone, 20 slow prone.  200 yards for all targets.
Rio Salado, June 26th.  7:30AM to 2PM.  60 round, 500 yard prone match.  3x20rd strings.  Sighters allowed during each string.
Phoenix Rod and Gun Club, June 27th.  7:30AM to 2PM.  Same as above, 60rd/500y prone match.

Gonna have to see if I can get the shoot in on the 6th - maybe combine it with a visit to my friends in Clay Springs that weekend. 3 weeks in a row - might be treading on the thin line with my wife - we'll see. Gonna have to be a real good boy between now and then with being out of town this weekend as well. We'll be in Colorado for the last two in town for the month so those are out for me. What's the entry fee in Payson?

AZO

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZOpie on May 24, 2010, 07:53:55 PM
Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 24, 2010, 03:48:50 PM
Next up on the AZ Appleseed Instructor whirlwind High Power / CMP circuit:

Payson, June 6th.  9AM to noon, High Power Match.  Unknown COF, probably 10 standing, 10 seated, 10 rapid prone, 20 slow prone.  200 yards for all targets.
Rio Salado, June 26th.  7:30AM to 2PM.  60 round, 500 yard prone match.  3x20rd strings.  Sighters allowed during each string.
Phoenix Rod and Gun Club, June 27th.  7:30AM to 2PM.  Same as above, 60rd/500y prone match.

Gonna have to see if I can get the shoot in on the 6th - maybe combine it with a visit to my friends in Clay Springs that weekend. 3 weeks in a row - might be treading on the thin line with my wife - we'll see. Gonna have to be a real good boy between now and then with being out of town this weekend as well. We'll be in Colorado for the last two in town for the month so those are out for me. What's the entry fee in Payson?

AZO

The match takes place on the Anniversary of D-Day. That is the angle I worked on my wife. If it helps.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

Quote from: NEWGUY556 on May 24, 2010, 08:27:34 PM
The match takes place on the Anniversary of D-Day. That is the angle I worked on my wife. If it helps.

Tried using that - got the evil eye! Actually she's warming up to the idea. Probably go the campgrounds north of Payson, meet up with our friend for some fishing on Saturday, then catch the match on the way back Sunday...

AZO

AZRedhawk44

NewGuy:  Do you know where the Target shopping mall is in Fountain Hills, off Shea and Hwy 87?  We can meet there at 7:30AM and carpool up rather than driving two cars.

Quote from: AZOpie on May 28, 2010, 12:06:06 AM
Tried using that - got the evil eye! Actually she's warming up to the idea. Probably go the campgrounds north of Payson, meet up with our friend for some fishing on Saturday, then catch the match on the way back Sunday...

AZO

Lol... she's catching on.  Gonna have to get the ladies introduced to one another and out Appleseeding, too.  Pink AR's, slings that match their purses or nail polish... ;D 

NEWGUY556

Quote from: NEWGUY556 on May 24, 2010, 08:27:34 PM

AZO
I got that too, then she thought of spending the day at home with me and the history channel all day and relented.  >:D
RWVA, Rifleman

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 28, 2010, 01:19:59 AM
NewGuy:  Do you know where the Target shopping mall is in Fountain Hills, off Shea and Hwy 87?  We can meet there at 7:30AM and carpool up rather than driving two cars.

AZO

Lol... she's catching on.  Gonna have to get the ladies introduced to one another and out Appleseeding, too.  Pink AR's, slings that match their purses or nail polish... ;D 

I can find it (target). I think it is on the West Side of Shea, North of the Beeline. We can carpool (Save the Planet).

I managed to get my wife out to the range to shoot twice in the last 10 years. Funny thing is that before we got married she would go anywhere with me (Camping, Fishing, Shooting) After getting married things changed. If you fellas can convince your ladies to get out Appleseeding, you will need to let me in on the trick. O0
RWVA, Rifleman

AZRedhawk44

So far, my trick has been a bit expensive:

Trading Appleseeds for "nice" stuff.  (Who says Appleseeds ain't nice?)

Dinner out somewhere inventive and fun for her (and for me I guess, too).  A weekend in Vegas, last month.  A cruise in August.  Problem is, they all seem to get bigger. :o

AZbinary

I use AZRedhawks' technique. . . it's blatant bribery, but I think she actually enjoys Appleseeds.  Trip back east to see friends this year, and Alaska cruise next year...
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZOpie

Quote from: NEWGUY556 on May 28, 2010, 03:56:43 PM
Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 28, 2010, 01:19:59 AM

AZO

I can find it (target). I think it is on the West Side of Shea, North of the Beeline. We can carpool (Save the Planet).

I managed to get my wife out to the range to shoot twice in the last 10 years. Funny thing is that before we got married she would go anywhere with me (Camping, Fishing, Shooting) After getting married things changed. If you fellas can convince your ladies to get out Appleseeding, you will need to let me in on the trick. O0

Denise will be Appleseeding this month - we are camping at the range for the weekend while I work the Ramah shoot. Nothing like a captive audience!   :cool2:

AZTara

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 28, 2010, 05:54:52 PM
So far, my trick has been a bit expensive:

Trading Appleseeds for "nice" stuff.  (Who says Appleseeds ain't nice?)

Dinner out somewhere inventive and fun for her (and for me I guess, too).  A weekend in Vegas, last month.  A cruise in August.  Problem is, they all seem to get bigger. :o

Don't worry, I'll keep you supplied with ideas.

AZOpie

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZOpie on June 02, 2010, 07:38:21 PM
Think she's got your number! **)

+1  ;D
Guess now I know to keep my wife away from the forums so she doesn't get any "Ideas".
Dinner is easy enough, but generally she prefers my cooking and she gets that all the time so nothing special there.
That leaves Cruises or other vactions. NEWGUY556 does not like airplanes. $$-0
RWVA, Rifleman

mudhauler

Hope ya'll don't mind a Nevadan chiming in here.AZRedhawk44,I finally got on this forum.I'm the guy from Las Vegas that came to the full distance shoot in Kingman last May(the one who screamed loudly when I saw that I was actually able to hit the 400M target).I remember you talking about this match when I came up on this thread.Do you have room for an out of stater on one of your teams?how does the practice session schedule work,as I would have to put in for time off at work in order to make the meetings.

AZRedhawk44

I'd love to have more than 1 team, mudhauler.  I'd ideally like to see a team from the Vegas/Boulder City/Kingman area put together to join the PHX team.  You guys could then practice on your ranges up in the corner of AZ/NV.

Otherwise, the pratice regimen is currently as follows for the rest of us:
1 - Dry fire, every day.  Unslung/unsupported standing, slung seated, slung prone.  10-20 snaps from each position every day will do wonders with the rest of your practice.  Takes 10 minutes.
2 - Beat the ever-living snot out of AQT's.  Consistently shoot a 230 or so, push yourself and keep refining your technique.
3 - Master your sight picture against a 6MOA black circle, since that's what an NRA/CMP target looks like.  Don't just be satisfied with hitting a 6MOA target... raise your expectations for yourself to keep a centered group inside of a 6MOA target.
4 - Start participating in CMP or NRA Service Rifle matches.  Learn the format.  Refine your technique. 

Our goal for all participants is to shoot a 425+ out of 500 possible points, and that's a high bar to reach.  As-is, only one of us is at that level right now, but we're all working as hard as we can to get there.  I'm thinking that the next couple matches will see two more of us make it over the hump.  Of course, we'll just raise the bar to 450+, if that's the case. ~~:) @)

AZOpie

We have dates for the match - February 19 & 20. O.K., really it's just the 20th, the 19th is a clinic and practice. I am in and NEWGUY556, I blieve, is in. We need two more to make an Appleseed Instructor team...

John

AZbinary

I REALLY want to be there, so count me in, even though I've never shot a high power match before.  I'll keep practicing with my Garand. . .

it's a long ways away, but I will be there if at all possible.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZOpie

We are at 3 instructors, and about 8 weeks out. The entry will have to be made in the next month or so. Do we have a fourth?

NEWGUY556

I am planning on some practice at the Buckeye Hills range January 8th and a Match at Rio Salado on the 9th.
If anyone would like to join me let me know.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

Dusting off AZRedHawk44 - he'll be joining us for the match - that makes 4. Of course it would be even better if more would join in. Hey, I got a basement and a trailer for overnight housing...

AZO

CAMartino

I'd love to get in on this but will be "occupied" :wb: ~~:) until late May. Sounds like a great time!!
Lead, Follow or get out of the way!
Tolerance is neither a Virtue, nor a Fruit of the Spirit. Therefore I refuse to participate in it's perpetuation!

AZOpie

Lost azbinary to unforseen circumstances, but azbuddy is picking up the slack on the team....

AZO

AZOpie

The game is on - wind and rain - just the way we like it!

AZOpie

Well, it was cold, windy, and rainy - just like the weatherman said it would be. There was the biggest turnout in 10 years, but then we lost 30% when the match was delayed due to inclimate weather. The first two relays got to shoot in the rain, until the match was delayed. We holed up in the back of my truck for an hour and a half, ate lunch, then continued the match, in an abbreviated form. We went from a 50 round match (10 SF standing, 10 RF sitting, 10 RF prone, 20 SF prone) to a 30 round match (10 SF standing, 10 RF prone, 10 SF prone). Our team scored 920 - 8X for the course of fire - not the level we expected to shoot at, but better than most.

It was a pretty good 7th step as we got to talk to other shooter and promote Appleseed. We'll be seeing some of them on the line over the next year I expect...

AZO

JustJeff

Quote from: AZOpie on February 23, 2011, 10:44:37 PM
Well, it was cold, windy, and rainy - just like the weatherman said it would be. There was the biggest turnout in 10 years, but then we lost 30% when the match was delayed due to inclimate weather. The first two relays got to shoot in the rain, until the match was delayed. We holed up in the back of my truck for an hour and a half, ate lunch, then continued the match, in an abbreviated form. We went from a 50 round match (10 SF standing, 20 RF sitting, 10 RF prone, 20 SF prone) to a 30 round match (10 SF standing, 10 RF prone, 10 SF prone). Our team scored 920 - 8X for the course of fire - not the level we expected to shoot at, but better than most.

It was a pretty good 7th step as we got to talk to other shooter and promote Appleseed. We'll be seeing some of them on the line over the next year I expect...

AZO
O0
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZOpie on February 23, 2011, 10:44:37 PM
Well, it was cold, windy, and rainy - just like the weatherman said it would be. There was the biggest turnout in 10 years, but then we lost 30% when the match was delayed due to inclimate weather. The first two relays got to shoot in the rain, until the match was delayed. We holed up in the back of my truck for an hour and a half, ate lunch, then continued the match, in an abbreviated form. We went from a 50 round match (10 SF standing, 10 RF sitting, 10 RF prone, 20 SF prone) to a 30 round match (10 SF standing, 10 RF prone, 10 SF prone). Our team scored 920 - 8X for the course of fire - not the level we expected to shoot at, but better than most.

AZO
The scores were posted a few days ago, I thought I would post how we did on here. Our team was 13th out of 41.
I thought we did quite well, as this match is a very prestigious one for our state and draws the best shooters from across the state.
We will do better next year.
RWVA, Rifleman