News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AZ - Washington's Birthday Match 2011

Started by AZRedhawk44, February 22, 2010, 11:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on April 16, 2010, 12:34:46 PM
lol

Tara "made" me take Wednesday off to go shooting with her.  Forced me to. ~~:)

We went to Rio Salado and she shot my LTR at squares/redcoats/AQT's.  Un-timed, she's shooting 210-220 or so now.  She wouldn't let me time her, but I think she'll get to the Riflewoman stage by this weekend.

I did slowfire prone single-loading with my M14.  43 rounds downrange on the 200 yard "SR" target (since that's the only ones I have right now).  I had two different loads with me.  The second load shot lower but tighter, so I'll use that in the future.

While adjusting sights, I noticed my sight screws had come loose.  I fixed that and finished off my straggler cartridges of the first load, getting my windage right.  I think some of the windage variation from that load could be from the rear sight rattling around due to the loose screw.  Still more vertical variation than I'd like though.  Then I started in on my second load.

Once I was sighted in, I did a group of 10 and a group of 15 with the second load, single-loading each cartridge.  Got 4 X's and another 11 10's, though the scoring rings are much more generous on the SR target than the MR-52 we're supposed to use.

Total score on the SR target from prone, single-load, with all errors from sighting in, was 397/430 - 6X.  If I were to shoot 20 rounds prone, using the load I'm sighted in for, now that the rifle is sighted properly for 200 yards... I'd guess I'd shoot about a 195 - 8X on the SR target or a 170 - 4X on the MR-52 target.  My groups are about a 3.5 minute 10-shot string.

That's cool that she enjoys range time with you, and she is good at it.
Oh and that's really good shooting. Sounds like you have got your load dialed in as well.
Targets showed up today, I will bring them with me to Payson for you guys.
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

AZOpie

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on April 13, 2010, 01:08:21 PM
Hannigan's Meadow is 5-6 hours from the PHX valley.

GoogleEarth says Sierra Vista is about 4:45 from Alpine.  Given the fact that I've actually driven Hwy 191 between Alpine and Clifton (a.k.a. Devil's Highway) and you average about 25MPH on parts of it... I'd call it closer to 6 hours.

We're looking at an Appleseed in Kingman on 7/24-25.  It isn't officially scheduled yet, but it is in the works.

July 10/11 sounds nice, or 7/31-8/1.

July 10/11 sounds great. Still not a peep from the south...

AZbinary

First of all, count me in on targets, I can always use more.  Secondly, I've had a lifetime of "camping" and would really prefer a nice bar with a bedroom attached, but I can certainly find something close and meet up.

So, it looks like up around Alpine?  I just don't want to run afoul of any issues with firearms on a reservation.

Which weekend in May?

M...down south
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZOpie

Quote from: AZbinary on April 21, 2010, 04:15:23 PM
First of all, count me in on targets, I can always use more.  Secondly, I've had a lifetime of "camping" and would really prefer a nice bar with a bedroom attached, but I can certainly find something close and meet up.

So, it looks like up around Alpine?  I just don't want to run afoul of any issues with firearms on a reservation.

Which weekend in May?

M...down south

Looks like 5/22 if the most common date that matches up for the next practice. Wel just have to settle on where.

AZbinary

OK...

I'll get started on the logistics of the 5-22 weekend, destination is less important at this point.  Looking forward to it!

M
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZRedhawk44

5/22 is unlikely to work for me, but you guys go ahead and do some stuff.  Try and get lysander6 to rally up with you, and warm up his rifle.

I have a trip to Vegas to appease the GF (can't spend every weekend out shooting in the AZ sun), and I'm Appleseeding in Kingman the 29/30.  Gotta take care of some of the domestic front issues on the 22/23 as a result.

I'll hit the range that weekend, it just won't be out camping or elsewhere.

On a more up-beat note... I just ordered 500 polymer-tipped 165gr "blemish" bullets from midway for practice, and another 500 Hornady A-max 168gr match bullets for when it's time to shine.

The blems look identical to A-maxes, but they have a cannelure on them.  Not sure of their construction, but 165's in the past have shot extremely close to 168 match bullets for me.  And that's just with exposed lead softpoints.

Check out this link if you're shooting .30 caliber for the WashBday match:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Promotion/?promotionid=271126&eblastid=42020103&utm_source=bigimage&utm_medium=special42020103

NEWGUY556

There is a Match at Buckeye on 5/23. Great for new highpower shooters, 100yrd course SR-1 Target for all 4 stages. I need to go since Buckeye is my "Home" range, and I want to help support it.  I may be able to swing both a practice 5/22 and the Match. Thats what I would like to do anyway.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

Kinda thinking 5/23 would satify the practice requirement. Is that a CMP match? What are the requirements?

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZOpie on April 22, 2010, 07:30:00 PM
Kinda thinking 5/23 would satify the practice requirement. Is that a CMP match? What are the requirements?

It is billed as a CMP "Type" match. Last time they did this one they let any rifle in even ones with glass. They have a 10 min. sight in period with unlimited sighters. It is a 50 round course, no reduced 300 or 600.
Here is a link, http://www.joefossshootingcomplex.com/webapp/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=18 click it and scroll down.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

There's also a NRA RSO course on 5/22 at Buckeye for anyone interested - all day class.

AZbinary

I'll be there, can my wife shoot her Carbine?  Will she be squadded somewhere else?

Cheers!

M
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZRedhawk44

Quote from: AZbinary on May 03, 2010, 01:11:23 PM
I'll be there, can my wife shoot her Carbine?  Will she be squadded somewhere else?

Cheers!

M

Any centerfire rifle, according to the link provided by NewGuy. 

Please, have your wife bring her Carbine!  AZTara shot a centerfire for the first time yesterday (my AR-15) and was really startled by it, though she is quite familiar with my .22 LTR's.  After the match, would it be possible to let her put ~20 rounds through it?  I'll pay for the ammo.  Looking for some sort of centerfire for her that doesn't put her off.

She said she wanted to shoot my AR at this Buckeye match, but she put two rounds through it and was really put off by the concussive blast.  We'll try doubling the ear protection (muffs + plugs), but the carbine is one option I hadn't considered.

I'll see if she warms up to my Marlin Camp 45 in the meantime... haven't tried that one either and I would expect the muzzle crack to be about the same as an M1 Carbine.  Maybe a Kel-Tec Sub-2000, Ruger PC-9, Marlin Camp 9 or M1 Carbine in my safe's future as a stepping stone to longer distance centerfire platforms.

How far has your wife shot with her .30 Carbine?  I'm unfamiliar with the round's trajectory potential, though I know for hunting or defensive purposes, you're talking about deer and smaller game inside of 100 yards for humane shots.  100 to 125 grain bullet is about your weight limit, right?

AZbinary

I can do better than that, I can bring a seperate Carbine and 100 rounds for her to shoot, cost is less worrisome than getting another shooter that finds something she likes.  Faith loves her carbine, but doesn't care for the AR...and won't even pick up a Garand.

I've shot the carbine out to 200, but that's about the end of the velocity curve.  I don't know what the bullet weight limit would be, but I shoot 110's at about 1900fps (commercial, I don't reload)...it gets pushed around a bit at 200, but 100 is fine.  The real issue I have with carbines is crappy GI sights, it's essentially a long ranged handgun. 

They are a lot of fun to shoot at cans with though...

If you like, you're welcome to come down and shoot one prior to the match...can take a look at the potential appleseed range too, throw in some lunch...Fun day!
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZRedhawk44

OK:

I'm hoping to see NewGuy556 and AZOpie at the Buckeye match on 5/23.  AZBinary, are you and Faith gonna be able to make it up as well?  It'd be nice to see where the prototype beginnings of "Team AZ Appleseed" scores on such a match.

Lysander6, are you gonna come up for this?

Chrisknox, where'd you run off to?  Will we see you at Buckeye?

AZBinary/Lysander6:  Can you guys find a Tucson area event in late June or early July for our next practice session?  CMP or High Power event, preferably 200 yards or less in case I can get AZTara tricked out with an M1 carbine by then.  Ideally, I'd propose June 26-27 or July 10-11. 

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 10, 2010, 07:12:38 PM
OK:

I'm hoping to see NewGuy556 and AZOpie at the Buckeye match on 5/23.  AZBinary, are you and Faith gonna be able to make it up as well?  It'd be nice to see where the prototype beginnings of "Team AZ Appleseed" scores on such a match.

Lysander6, are you gonna come up for this?

Chrisknox, where'd you run off to?  Will we see you at Buckeye?

AZBinary/Lysander6:  Can you guys find a Tucson area event in late June or early July for our next practice session?  CMP or High Power event, preferably 200 yards or less in case I can get AZTara tricked out with an M1 carbine by then.  Ideally, I'd propose June 26-27 or July 10-11. 

As far as I know right now I will be there.
BTW- I am so rusty. Last time I shot other than plinking with my kids was our Ben Avery practice. I went again with my kids this past saturday, and they let me have a range period with my prefered rifle and it was depressing. I am pretty sure I had a main course of NPOA issues with a side of some muscling topped off with Target watching for dessert. It amazes me at how fast the skills deteriorate. I have not even had time to dry fire between all the domestic stuff and work (go figure construction picked up a bit) I have had to do. I am going to re-read "How to become a Rifleman" again with a whole lot of Dryfire this week and I plan on a trip this Sunday to either Ben Avery or Buckeye Hills to get myself sorted out. If anyone would like to join let me know.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZbinary

We plan to be there, and I'll bring an extra carbine for AZTara to try out.  Best Tucson area CMP/Garand/Hipower range will be three points, home of the Tucson Rifle Club.  They have events almost every weekend, with the Garand matches on the third weekend of each month.
Here is their link

http://www.tucsonrifleclub.org/

I'm sure we can find something fun, but know that this range is about an hour southwest from downtown Tucson, which may make it a longer drive than anticipated.  There are also two county ranges that don't typically do much organized shooting beyond the boyscouts/4H folks.

Cheers!

M
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZOpie

I'll be there for the shoot, and I'll also be there the day before doing the NRA RSO class, in case anyone is interested. I sent Lysander6 an e-mail to invite him a little while ago about the match - he's got prior commitments that prevent him from attending.

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZOpie on May 11, 2010, 08:20:19 PM
I'll be there for the shoot, and I'll also be there the day before doing the NRA RSO class, in case anyone is interested. I sent Lysander6 an e-mail to invite hime a little while ago about the match - he's got prior commitments that prevent him from attending.

I can't make it to the RSO class either. My Wife is working that day (5/22) so I will have my boys.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

Sorry - meant to say I sent him an invite for the Sunday shoot. I remember him saying that e-mail is his preferred method of communication.

AZbinary

See you guys tomorrow, We'll be there a bit before 0700, since it's a three hour drive.  Anything special I need to bring beyond the usual range day?

AZRedhawk, I'll have an extra carbine and rounds in tow for AZTara to try out.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZOpie

Quote from: AZbinary on May 22, 2010, 09:01:19 PM
Anything special I need to bring beyond the usual range day?

A big bag of x's and 10's would work well.    ;D

See you in the morning!

AZO

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZOpie on May 22, 2010, 11:04:00 PM

See you in the morning!

AZO

Throw in some 9's for me, I could use them.  :sos:
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

Quote from: AZOpie on May 22, 2010, 11:04:00 PM

See you in the morning!

AZO

What happened to AZB? Hope all is well with you and nothing serious kept you from making it to the shoot today

AZO

AZbinary

Had a family issue drop in last night...emergency babysitting for the grandkids.  How'd the shoot go?  Sorry I couldn't make it

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZOpie

Quote from: AZbinary on May 23, 2010, 10:59:41 PM
Had a family issue drop in last night...emergency babysitting for the grandkids.  How'd the shoot go?  Sorry I couldn't make it

AZB

It was a nice day for shooting, even with the wind. Forgot to put on my sunscreen again, and I'm paying for it now. It was nice to get to shoot with other instructors - seems a rare thing as we are usually busy seeding or just dealing with the day to day. This one was more of a beginner shoot as they took a little extra time to provide some limited instruction on the course of fire and helped people to use slings, mats, etc. Great environment to get your feet wet in the match programs at.

Glad to hear everything is OK. Maybe we'll see you at the next one in October, or sometime before that on the trail...

AZO

AZbinary

I'm really sorry I missed it, we do get very few opportunities to shoot together as AZ's instructor corps...Hopefully October

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZRedhawk44

Props to AZO for winning the match.  Seems he forgot to mention that.

Both NewGuy556 and AZO scored better than me.  I need more trigger time! :---  Funny how my seated position can go to heck if I don't practice it. ++)

AZRedhawk44

Next up on the AZ Appleseed Instructor whirlwind High Power / CMP circuit:

Payson, June 6th.  9AM to noon, High Power Match.  Unknown COF, probably 10 standing, 10 seated, 10 rapid prone, 20 slow prone.  200 yards for all targets.
Rio Salado, June 26th.  7:30AM to 2PM.  60 round, 500 yard prone match.  3x20rd strings.  Sighters allowed during each string.
Phoenix Rod and Gun Club, June 27th.  7:30AM to 2PM.  Same as above, 60rd/500y prone match.

AZbinary

Wow!  Congratulations AZO!  Great shooting!
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011