News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hubertus WI Jan. 10 - 2010 Daniel Boone Conservation League

Started by Garand69, January 10, 2010, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garand69

So there I was, dreaming of uncovering dozens of new Rifleman from the great Hubertus Snow drifts, Harassing the locals with my team of Merry Border Raiders, and then it happened, just when I almost had colycat talked into touching his tongue to the flag pole....the phone RANG!!!!

Why the heck is EEL calling so early, I set the alarm at 4:30 and it hasn't gone of yet.....oops PM !@#)

Seeing as how I missed the call, this was quickly followed by WETFOOT GET YOUR BUTT OUT OF BED WERE LATE EEL'S IN THE DRIVEWAY...QUICKLY-QUICKLY-QUICKLY!!!! ~~:) ~~:) ~~:)

Then the phone rang again.....where the heck did I leave my cell phone.....Hurry Up WetFoot!!.. Oh here it is..Hello... argh!!! :wb: missed him again.

Call him back, he wasn't in the drive way yet, but he certainly wasn't his cheerful self.....

"Brudder, we got troubles... truck won't go over 20,  what street do I have to turn on...."

Oh Oh, This isn't good, gives me a few more seconds to get ready, but it is going to be a long ride only doing 20mph!

EEL pulls up, we improvise a winter cover with some cardboard I had stashed in Ole' Red, my [t]rusty pick 'em up truck (you never know when you need some cardboard to lay on while working on Ole' Red  :cool2: ). We load up and head for the nearest Gas Station that sells Diesel hoping to get some Diesel 911 and thaw the poor thing out, no luck. We put more additive in it but it wasn't good enough to get that fuel flowing enough to get over 20-25mph... :( >:( :(

So sadly We aborted the mission, for a moment I was going to steal my mother-in-laws hot rod Lincoln, but it was on empty and times are a bit tight this week. So I Apologize to the WI crew and of course my Team IL folks who are on their first Border Raid of 2010!!  :--- :--- :--- 3 Huzzahs to all of you. :~ :~ :~

For those of you thinking you were going to get some news on Hubertus, I do have some. I called Deacon up and let him know what was going on, he filled me in on the weather. When I was Talking to him it was around +1F :o . Wooooo Hoooo that's chilly, anyone know the record for the coldest Appleseed yet??? Them NM Boys are going to be soooooo jealous! ^-^

Can't wait to read the rest of the AAR and see those pics!!!

Congrats Deacon on your new Bucket Size O0 O0 O0

Not wanting to blow a perfectly good day to Appleseed, I'm off to a GunShow to do a drive by promo.

See you all on the trail
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Gopher Boy

I think Ole Red cursed ELL's truck.  That will teach you not to take it to the shoot.

Great shoot, Great people, Big Suprise for me.  More on the AAR.

G.B.

JoeZ

We were up against the weather.  Low +1F at 8:00 AM ; high +15F at 4 PM (avg of +12F and 15mph wind makes a windchill of -5F avg)
We were up against the Packer play off game.
We were up against typical American apathy.

Therefore I declare, we did well. Everyone involved should be proud. The 15 shooters, 13 instructors, and the associated local boots on the ground. We have one new rifleman, three shooters were at 200+, and a few more on the 170+ plateau. We have some needed experience in the cold. We had one youth receive a patch for bravery in the face of adverse weather. Hopefully we connected with some shooters to give more to this great cause.

To the instructors...thank you for the help.

To the botg...Hardware specifically, thank you so much for the heaters that ran all day on the sidelines(just like our own play off game :))                
                  Muskyjerk for all his organizing.

To the shooters...thank you also for coming out, don't be afraid to contact any of the instructors with questions or comments.

To G69 and EEL. It's really too bad you couldn't make it. I'm sorry for it but we treated your IIT brigade with true Cheesehead hospitality.(ref line 1)
Racine is not all that far away.

To all,
See you on the trail.
JoeZ
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

Muskyjerk

+1 ?????

Well my truck was working  ;) and it had -1 at 7:30am

Garand69

15 Shooters in those temps while a Green Bay Game was on!!!!!! Most Excellent work JoeZ and Team WI!!

Well my goodness, what's next, a full line on opening day of Deer Season!!!!

Well it looks like you folks have raised the low temp bar a notch or two, where's that record keeper when you need them!

I'm not sure how NM is going to handle this kind of pressure, but I'm sure they will manage, SamD is excellent at adapt and overcome!!!

P.S. Until I hear from all of my Border Raiders, I'm keeping an eye on you! I better not hear that they showed up as an Ice sculpture at some wedding in Appleton!

Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Muskyjerk

Again thanks to Blair Hardware for the field test of the heaters.

some of us got a little to close to this guy and his brother.

Fred

This is a great job - a GREAT job! - of moving this program into a "24 months a year" mode.

We discussed this at the weekend Master Instructor/Senior Instructor Face to Face meeting - and here, you guys are out there, showing it can be done!

This is the future of Appleseed - a year-round program in spite of every obstacle.

A BIG O0!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Gumballhead

Quote from: Garand69 on January 11, 2010, 10:11:05 AM
P.S. Until I hear from all of my Border Raiders, I'm keeping an eye on you! I better not hear that they showed up as an Ice sculpture at some wedding in Appleton!

Well - no ice sculptures, but a couple kinda got a little melted from standing too close to the heater... **) **)

neoinarien

Hello!

A general thank you to everyone who made this work and a great success.  A special thank you to Gopher for all his individualized pointers!

Rest assured: I'll come back with a front sight that is worked out

(I was the guy walking towards the camera on the left)

Trisha

what a great sunday! It was nice getting back in the swing of things, I truly missed being out there helping people shoot at an AS, hearing the history and seeing all of you great instructors. I can't wait for more to come! Although it was cold and I had some RHs blocking the wind for me when I was over at Known Distance, I'd say it was worth it! Yes, thats right we were able to get in some Known Distance! We had 4 guys taking up the challenge of shooting at 200 yards. This was great to see since it was the first time I was able to experience it at an AS.

Thank you Muskyjerk and Hardware for getting the shoot set up and I know I am not the only one who appreciated the heaters! I can't wait to get back there for another AS.  :--- :--- :---

Garand and EEL I am sorry you weren't able to make it, don't worry I took really good care of the IITs that came to the AS...  ~~:) ~~:) ~~:) lol  ;D

It was great seeing everyone and I hope to see all IITs and Instructors at Pappy's!!!!

EEL

Nice job Wisconsin !!! O0  Teamwork is what it's all about.  While we push for establishing 3 man teams........How about looking at establishing 3 STATE teams??   Sadly, I let the Illinois SC down  :'( by having jello in my fuel tanks, but I had the consolation of knowing that our friends to the North would pick up our slack and carry on.  My thanks and appreciation.

Looks like we missed an outstanding shoot!  No surprise there as the WI folks know how to do it up right. 
Sweeeet looking heaters  ^:)^  The sight of sooooo many dedicated shooters out there braving the elements does my heart good.

Again, nice job guys!  America should take notice.  The heart and soul of our forefathers came alive and stood strong while facing adversity.  The Great Lakes Region rocks  :---   :~

EEL

SavageShootr

Great job Wisconsin.

I am impressed with the people that would go out in that stuff.... snow, is it? Instructors and Shooters alike. Very nice. The spirit of true Riflemen. These men and women have the heart of a Rifleman.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Garand69

Quote from: Trisha on January 11, 2010, 04:30:24 PM

Garand and EEL I am sorry you weren't able to make it, don't worry I took really good care of the IITs that came to the AS...  ~~:) ~~:) ~~:) lol  ;D

It was great seeing everyone and I hope to see all IITs and Instructors at Pappy's!!!!

Did you see that EEL, We miss the shoot and Trisha thinks she can Lobster Back our IIT's!!! All because she is still mad about missing Operation  Moose Jaw!!!! Unbeleiveable!! I haven't seen that many  ~~:) used since SavageShootr needed an EIP!!!!!
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Trisha

Quote from: Garand69 on January 11, 2010, 05:54:53 PM
Quote from: Trisha on January 11, 2010, 04:30:24 PM

Did you see that EEL, We miss the shoot and Trisha thinks she can Lobster Back our IIT's!!! All because she is still mad about missing Operation  Moose Jaw!!!! Unbeleiveable!! I haven't seen that many  ~~:) used since SavageShootr needed an EIP!!!!!

Well someone's gotta keep the IL crew in line! lol  **)

Old Glory!

Quote from: Fred on January 11, 2010, 02:36:20 PM

This is a great job - a GREAT job! - of moving this program into a "24 months a year" mode.

We discussed this at the weekend Master Instructor/Senior Instructor Face to Face meeting - and here, you guys are out there, showing it can be done!

This is the future of Appleseed - a year-round program in spite of every obstacle.

A BIG O0!

FRED,
It was one year ago that you were ever so helpful in gently nudging   >:D Wisconsin to do a winter Appleseed.  Well it took a while, but it has finally happened.  8)  No turning back now.    We might even try to squeeze in a February AS. 

Great job EVERYONE!

Daniel Boone has really turned out to be a premier AS location.    Even known distance! :o   On a one day Appleseed?!?   Kudos instructors, you must have implemented some new fangled time management policies!   

Watch out Garand and EEL and the rest of yous flatlanders; Trisha's got a  ~~:) and she knows how to use it......SS taught her how! >:D

Now is that Tyrone accepting a Rifleman's patch?!?  I only met him once, maybe I'm mistaken.
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Garand69

Musky Jerk, You have to post the addy for Blair Hardware! I can't wait to pull in and check the place out and see those Blair Employees wearing Appleseed T-Shirts O0 O0
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Karl

QuoteP.S. Until I hear from all of my Border Raiders, I'm keeping an eye on you! I better not hear that they showed up as an Ice sculpture at some wedding in Appleton!

No Ice sculpture hear; made it home safe and sound. (I think my toes are still frozen though.) :)) Our Friends to the Nort treated us very well. Almost too well. Now that I look back, we may have been adopted. ???.....I don't remember taking an oath...or it may have been just the cold clouding my memory. :)  or Trisha  ~~:) ~~:)

COLD??? heck ya it was cold, but all participants kept a positive attitude.  O0 O0 Kudos to all shooters that persevered through the temperatures and hopefully will be taking the 7th step.  O0  Packers??? what Packers?? :o

I continue to me amazed at the high quality people I meet at the AS both in instructors I'm meeting for the first time & participants looking to learn about our heritage.  8)

The folks at Daniel Boone Conservation league should be very proud of their facility. Excellent place for an AS. The KD range definitely a plus.  O0

EEL, Garand, Sorry you missed out on this one, but mark your calender for the same time next year.  I believe we had 5 Border Raiders this year.. almost a one to one ratio with our Wisconsin brethren. Thanks, Joe Z for the hospitality...

Karl

"corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
"Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes."

dragonfly

WOW what a great shoot -1 when we started A GLORIOUS sunny day and Appleseed it do'nt get better than that. Thanks for everyone that braved the cold and brought a positive attitude and a great willingness to learn. Hope to see you all on the trail soon. CONGRATS to Tyrone our newest Riflemen. Even though this was Tyrone's first Appleseed he has been promoting Appleseed and he is the man that introduced me to Appleseed. Thats right his first Appleseed and already a 7 stepper. Thanks Tyrone you made me so proud. Now I can check off my first Appleseed goal for 2010.
More pic's to come.

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Buckthorn

I want to thank all the staff for their efforts and a job well done.  It was a memorable experience (my first, but not last Appleseed).  Stapling my trigger finger out the outset wasn't an auspicious omen, but I managed to survive nonetheless.  The cold allowed the blood in my glove to freeze, forming a hard, protective shell around the finger tip!  My other finger tips are still defrosting.

Special thanks to the young female instructor (Trisha?) who showed me how the 10/22 slide release works.  In response, Ruger is now working on a 5-step, Chinese puzzle box design for their already over-engineered one.  Good for the after-market market, though.

I would really like to have a source on the use of the sling as recommended by the Appleseed staff.  Is that info in Fred's Guide?  Fred never sent me my guide, so I'm begging Mrs. Fred for one tomorrow.

BTW, I wonder if Tyrone would mind clarifying whether he was using the Tech-sight TSR100 or TSR200?  Tyrone, if you read this please respond.  Thanks.

Once again, sincere thanks to everyone.

Blondie

I just want to thank all of the instructors out there this weekend braving the COLD!!  O0 I learned a ton about shooting and more history then I did in school. You guy's and gal's were AWESOME!! Great knowledge on the sport and history. I now have enough to work on before the next one. I will make it this time!!! 210+  Thanks again!
JZ

dragonfly

Buckthorn,
            Tyrone has the Tech sight TSR100 but make sure you get the adjustment tool that tech sight sells with it. They really make the best 10-22 sight. Hope to see you on the trail soon.

Here are some more pictures.

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Deacon

Quote from: Blondie on January 14, 2010, 10:31:18 PM
Any chance for a Feb. Appleseed??

We are looking to have a 2day Appleseed in February....still need to finalize the location.

Keep checking the forum :---
Deacon

JohnGalt

Hi, I was there, had a great time, stayed warmer than I thought I would.  I had so many layers on I could hardly move, but everything stayed warm except for my fingers.

Question: I don't see any more appleseed shoots scheduled for DBCL this year.  Is it possible that there will be one, or is the 2010 schedule pretty much "set"?

Muskyjerk

they should be available for registration next week

april 17 18

august 14 15th

january 8th and 9th 2011 (hey you made it through one)  

ahhshoot

The past is only the future with the lights on.

Infidel

Now we all know what Col. Klink had in store when he was threatened with the Russian front!. I had a great day and even stayed pliable thanks to the nice heaters I Thank you for those!. Thank you to the instructors and Daniel Boone.

JohnGalt

Quote from: Muskyjerk on January 16, 2010, 10:00:34 PM
they should be available for registration next week

april 17 18

august 14 15th

january 8th and 9th 2011 (hey you made it through one)  

Cool, I'll be there in April for sure, and I'm trying to get a couple of other guys from work to come with me.

Trisha

Attention Everyone! Attention!!!!!!

There will be another winter Appleseed in Suamico, WI Feb 13-14, so if you enjoyed this first one or if you just want to challenge yourself again, come on out and spend your weekend with us! What better way is there to spend a weekend, than to shoot 500 rounds, meet many people who have the same passion you do and hear about where you came from?? I sure can't think of anything better!

Garand69

jeeesh, do you have to yell so loud, we're trying to get some sleep down here :D
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz