News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Alamogordo New Mexico 9-10 Jan 2010

Started by SamD, January 11, 2010, 12:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamD

Well folks I have to say this was a high quality shoot

devnul, duc-dog and staplegund instructing.
Staplegund received his Red hat today, hard earned and well deserved, congrats staplegund  O0
14 shooters total

3 rifleman arose today from the cold clay on the Sidney Paul Gordon range today.
oladcock
AmForFreedom
and Niko

Niko was using his new 795 Marlin w/Tech Sights at this, his second Appleseed.
He came to me with a 233 AQT and I'll admit it did look real good, took his sandbags away and told him to shoot with the grownups if he wanted to be a Rifleman, he came back after the next AQT with a 219 and a very well deserved "Rifleman" patch.  
Fred I need a waiver for a 12 year old Orange hat.
oladcock and Niko have taken the Orange and Dan will after his 2nd Appleseed.

As always, we had some really great folks this weekend.
They love liberty and they know who won it for them.
They will spread the word and more will come

It would be very unfair to fail to mention our juniors, Keanu and Marshall.
They are working hard on mastering their rifles and I suspect that both will make a Rifleman score before the summer is out. Keanu is not going to let his older brother stay ahead for long.  

Thank you all for the great opportunity you gave to us.

SamD

Fred

Shouldn't be a problem with the waiver; a PM to Nickle will get the job done...

PS: What was the temp?

"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

SamD

The temperature was 14 degrees on Saturday morning with a high of 39 at 1500 hrs.
Cold enough to freeze the hot water pipes.

oladcock

SamD, devnul, duc-dog, and staplegund, very well done and wods can not express how apprecitive we are. Good job.  :bow: We commuted the 120 miles or so and Saturday morning it was 9 degrees here in Roswell and saw as low as 7 crossing the hills so it was nippy! Nothing a "rifleman" can't handle however!  O0 I hope I can do the orange hat justice and get Juli's hat next trip as she wants it very bad!  &) ....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

oladcock

OK, Where's the "edit button! "Words"....Is it normal to harrass a student who shoots 4 or 5 "49"'s in the standing position? You just can't buy those 50's!  ++) ....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

nmmi9100

Sounds like a great shoot!  No fair-weather patriots at this shoot.

Congratulations to the new Riflemen!

O.L.:  I knew you could do it...I just figured you better pay attention because Mrs. O.L. would be in hot pursuit!

And to the new 12 year old Rifleman, THAT'S AWESOME!  GREAT JOB!

Ethan's really itching for a rifleman patch...I think we get him into a fitting semi-auto and he'll be well on the way.

Also, Congratulations to Scott on the Redhat!  Great Job!

-David
Edgewood, NM

Old Glory!

Quote from: SamD on January 11, 2010, 12:55:18 AM

As always, we had some really great folks this weekend.
They will spread the word and more will come

I love that line!

Sounds like you had a hardy bunch; not afraid of a little chill.  :cool2:

Quote from: SamD on January 11, 2010, 12:55:18 AM

He came to me with a 233 AQT and I'll admit it did look real good, took his sandbags away and told him to shoot with the grownups if he wanted to be a Rifleman, he came back after the next AQT with a 219 and a very well deserved "Rifleman" patch.   

That right there, is PRICELESS!
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Jimi

Sorry I missed it folks,.. ~~:) I really wanted to, but some serious gutt problems prevented me from traveling very far... :sos: Congrats to OL  O0 you deserve it, however, keep a close eye on Juli, she gets hers soon. I hope to get mine in Carlsbad at the next round, or heaven forbid Rosberg in March.. &)

Sorry Sam for missing it...

Jimi
Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT

SamD

You should have seen Niko's daddy strutting around the shop today  ^:)^

Jimi

Sorry Scott, forgot to give you the Thumbs up for Your Accomplishment... O0  :bow:
Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT

freefyrefly

Sounds like you guys had an awesome shoot!! Really wish we could have made it down!!! But we'll try to make it to the next one for sure. Where are the pictures?? No official appleseed photographer showed up?  ;) Well Congrats to the new Riflemen and our new red hat!!!! Hope to get mine if I keep working hard!! Hope to see you all soon

SamD

We did miss you and PA.  Going to make April 17-18 in Roswell?

BTW folks Niko now officially has his Orange hat, and no I'm not loaning him out to California  ;)
We can have him teaching liberty for the next 70 years  O0

Sam

Devnull

Hey! You taking my help for the April 17-18th shoot?  :-[ That's not very nice!  ;)

We had a blast working with everyone at the Alamo shoot. I hope to see you all again soon on the appleseed trail.

PA, FFF, we need to get together soon. I am very curious to pick your brains and see what we can pick up from the Cali crew. Give me a call would ya?

"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Janet W

Quote from: SamD on January 11, 2010, 12:03:03 PM
The temperature was 14 degrees on Saturday morning with a high of 39 at 1500 hrs.
Cold enough to freeze the hot water pipes.

Hello All,

I participated in the training this weekend in Alamogordo.  Yes, it was unusually cold.  I had on so many layers of clothing it was difficult to know where they stopped and I began.  Getting to and from prone was comical but I persevered and so did my 26 year-old son.  And, that determination was well worth effort.  We learned a whole lot and are enthused about practicing what we learned right here in my "backyard" when my son comes home to visit from Las Cruces.  The day after the event we took gun cleaning lessons from my 88 year-old dad and his eyes were moist as he watched his 60 year-old daughter and his grandson treating his rifles with the respect, attention and affection that he learned early on.

The staff knew their business and it was very obvious safety was their top priority.  They were attentive and offered suggestions that were helpful if not always easy to comprehend for me.  I got the impression they were more accustomed to communicating with those who had some level of experience.  I had basically none with .22s other than almost 50 years ago and no knowledge of even the names of the parts. 

Now, Sam, he is in a category all his own.  Not only does he know his stuff, he is a hoot and a half and that goes a long, long way to building trust and enthusiasm.

I enjoyed meeting the other participants and look forward to participating again.  Next time I will get a bunch of my friends, old and young, to join me.  This was the most challenging, most rewarding thing I have done in a long, long time. 

Onward and upward,

Janet

AmForFreedom

I am trying to entice enthusiasm in the shop to get people to sign up so we can have another shoot here rather quickly.

AmForFreedom

I guess I should have started off with saying that I attended this shoot not expecting to learn much. Well I was very wrong! The skills that I obtained at the Appleseed are invaluable. There is not a person that would not benefit from this project. It does not matter how long one has been shooting, there is skills here to be learned. The history lesson was fantastic as well. I always love hearing about true history since it is not taught in our schools anymore. I can't wait for the next shoot.

Keep your powder dry!

Dan

oladcock

Dan we had similar experiences. My wife drove the bus on this, hearing about Appleseed and wanting to do it. I "thought" I was a decent shot so I'd just play along. The first one I attended, I'm going, hmmm??? Never thought of that, or gee, that might be a better way to do this or that...I was very impressed. Tying it in with the founding of this great country is a match made in heaven! So we'll see you around for sure! :)...O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

freefyrefly

Quote from: SamD on January 12, 2010, 09:15:25 PM
We did miss you and PA.  Going to make April 17-18 in Roswell?

BTW folks Niko now officially has his Orange hat, and no I'm not loaning him out to California  ;)
We can have him teaching liberty for the next 70 years  O0

Sam

We'll see Sam, Devnull might just come after ya for stealin his help!! It just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think to myself, "Which appleseed shoot shall I volunteer for.." instead of: "Where is there an appleseed that I can volunteer for?" YES YES YES lets keep this up!!!

SamD

What is even better is that pretty soon we will install a stylish red hat on your head, and then you can Appleseed any time you want! ^:)^.

Sam

Devnull

Quote from: freefyrefly on January 23, 2010, 06:06:09 PM
We'll see Sam, Devnull might just come after ya for stealin his help!! It just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think to myself, "Which appleseed shoot shall I volunteer for.." instead of: "Where is there an appleseed that I can volunteer for?" YES YES YES lets keep this up!!!

Definitely a good thing. However we need to get some more motivated individuals to step up to the plate so we can man all of these shoots.

To anyone reading this: Have you been to two appleseeds and shot a rifleman's score? We need you to step up to the plate! Come get involved! Have you accepted an orange hat and have been letting it collect dust? Sign up for an event! A rifleman cannot stand by idly and not help their fellow Americans learn about our heritage. It is contrary to what a rifleman is! And there is no better way to wake up this great country than Appleseeding. We will help you discover confidence, perseverance, improvisation and how to adapt to overcome anything that comes your way.

Were growing quickly and we need to make sure that we can get the staffing we need. With 3 events, April 17-18th is going to be a big test of our current man power. Heck, no one has even signed up to help out in Albuquerque yet and with all the promotions I am doing (and plan to do) were going to have a packed house!

"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."