News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Illinois Lame Duck Gun Grab

Started by 2 clicks low, December 31, 2012, 03:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 clicks low

URGENT: Illinois Anti-Gun Legislators That YOU Voted Out of Office to Use Their Last Remaining Days in Legislature Exploiting Lame Duck Session and Holiday Break To Impose a Draconian Gun Ban
The NRA-ILA has just learned that anti-gun legislators backed by Governor Quinn are deceptively trying to sneak through a new draconian gun ban as early as Wednesday while the legislature convenes for the Lame Duck Session from January 2 to 9.   You voted many of these anti-gun legislators out of office, and now, in their last days as law makers, they want to quietly trample on the rights of all law-abiding gun owners in Illinois.  It is imperative that you contact your state legislators IMMEDIATELY and continue to do so over the next few days.  The Lame Duck Session will end on January 9, so this bill will be moving at lightning speed through both the House and Senate, with very little time to spare.  Your phone call or email will play an important role in halting this assault on your Second Amendment rights. 
The NRA-ILA will continue to send updates on this matter as details become available to us.  However, it is of the utmost importance that you act NOW to stop this gun ban and registration scheme.  Call and email IMMEDIATELY and let your voice be heard on this matter.
To reach the main line for the Illinois General Assembly, please call 217.782.2000.
Contact information for your state legislators can be found by clicking here
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Boston

what's the link for my local state rep? I went to the IL voter website to search by address but it does nto seem to be working....

Boston

Also went to the ISRA site to find the bill. Do you know which one it is?

2 clicks low

I don't know if it has a number yet. Got this from an NRA-ILA alert.

http://www.elections.state.il.us/DistrictLocator/DistrictOfficialSearchByAddress.aspx

doesn't seem to be working. Try your county board of elections or if in Chicago the Chicago board.

2 clicks low

Here it is from Illinios State Rifle Assn.
I am very afraid that this will pass. I have no doubt that the govoner will sign it.
It is up to us but I fear that it is already a done deal.

URGENT ALERT - YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

CULLERTON TO INTRODUCE NEAR TOTAL GUN BAN ON JANUARY 2ND

The ISRA has learned from a credible source that Illinois Senate President John Cullerton will introduce a so called "assault weapons" ban on Wednesday when the legislature returns for its "lame duck" session.  Cullerton hopes to ramrod the bill through and get it to Governor Quinn for signature by Friday.  If he is successful at doing so, nearly every gun you currently own will be banned and will be subject to confiscation by the Illinois State Police.

Based on what we know about Cullerton's bill, firearms that would be banned include all semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns.  Pump action shotguns would be banned as well.  This would be a very comprehensive ban that would include not only so-called "assault weapons" but also such classics as M1 Garands and 1911-based pistols.  There would be no exemptions and no grandfathering.  You would have a very short window to turn in your guns to the State Police to avoid prosecution.

HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO SAVE YOUR GUNS.

1.   Beginning Wednesday, call your State Senator and politely tell him or her that you are a law abiding firearm owner and that you strongly oppose Cullerton's gun ban.  Also, be sure to call your State Representative as well and politely deliver the same message.  If you do not know who your State Representative please call the Illinois State Board of Elections at 217-782-4141.

2.   Forward this alert to all your gun owning friends and family members.  Be sure to tell them to call their senators and representatives as well.

3.   Post this alert to any and all Internet bulletin boards and blogs to which you belong.

4.   Join or renew your membership in the ISRA.  Encourage your friends and family to join as well.

5.   Make a generous donation to the ISRA by clicking the link below.  We are in desperate need of your financial support to help beat back the onslaught of gun grab bills coming our way in 2013.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please make a donation on-line here , or over the phone at 815-635-3198. If you would like to mail or fax a donation, we have a printable form here .

If you're not an ISRA member, now is the time. You can join on-line , or over the phone at 815-635-3198. You can download a printable application form here .

Prairie Eagle

I have emailed both my State Senator (Tom Johnson) and Representative (Darlene Senger) expressing my strong displeasure at this attempt to revoke our constitutional 2nd amendment rights. I also called each's district and Springfield offices leaving personal messages stating the same (they were not in - probably due to the holiday, I will call again to reach in person tomorrow). I encourage everyone else to do the same. If you've learned nothing else through Appleseed, no matter how you have participated it is that we need to get off the couch and get engaged in the process to protect out rights that our forefathers gave so much to secure.

Now is the time folks, please do not idly allow this to happen.

Prairie Eagle

This was just posted by Todd Vanedrmyde, the NRA chief lobbyist for Illinois:

QuoteUpdate 1/1/13

We have been notified that the gun ban bills are expanding.

Not only are they going after semi-autos and magazines, but they are going after ranges and shutting down shoots like the Aurora Sportsman's Club Zombie shoot.

Sources say the new bills would require any range open to the public to be run by an FFL. That they would be licensed under unlimited rules and regulations by the State Police. If you say what the Governor did under his AV of SB-681, you can imagine what kind of rules/standards he would put in place to run a range.

So ACS's zombie shoot is open to people beyond the club's membership, thus the shoot would be closed except to club members, certainly limiting the event. If not almost ending it. It would also seem to end those open range days where ne members are recruited.

This would also seem to be a result of the Ezell lawsuit as there would be no need for them to try to shift the regulation from locals to the state unless they thought Ezell was gonna be a losing on the second go around.

And the bill reverses changes that allow non FOID card holders to experience firearms safety training that has live fire components with it.

The gun ban now also attacks pump action rifles.

I won't go into a lot of detail and I will ask that when the bills are made public that we not dissect every line and explain them to the antis as they will only try to build a better mouse trap. There are some doosies I have found that just make me laugh and then cry with the utter stupidity of these. I will look forward to testifying against these.

But as I have said, we don't need to do their work for them. Thanks God they are not gun geeks. 

And make more calls to your Senators.
pass this along to all your friends and gun clubs

If true, it would end Appleseed as we know it in Illinois  :wb: !@#)  :'(

We need to mobilize, Col. Smith is marching on us.

Mutti

Another place to follow for Legislative Updates, Contacts and Valid Links if/when Cullerton should get this rolling is IllinoisCarry.com.

Most time very accurate and timely up to date information. Sort of like a Tavern without the Hops  ;D .

Quote from: Boston on December 31, 2012, 04:20:01 PM
what's the link for my local state rep? I went to the IL voter website to search by address but it does nto seem to be working....

Begin here: http://www.ilga.gov/

At the top in the blue bar - Senate or House - click on link. If you know the name, scroll until that name and click

(i.e.
QuoteSenator John J. Cullerton (D)
6th District
President of the Senate

Springfield Office:
Senator 6th District
327 Capitol Building
Springfield, IL   62706
(217) 782-2728
(217) 782-3242 FAX

District Office:
1726 W. Belmont
Chicago, IL  60657
(773) 883-0770
(773) 296-0993 FAX

Years served: 1979 - 1991 (House); 1991 - Present (Senate)

Committee assignments: Committee of the Whole; Executive.

Biography: Attorney; born Oct. 28, 1948, in Chicago; B.A., political science, Loyola University; J.D., Loyola University Law School; served in Illinois National Guard, 1970-76; former Assistant Public Defender; married (wife, Pamela), has five children.

Also listed at the end of this will be the House/Senate Associated member(s). Click through and contact them as well.

http://www.elections.illinois.gov/districtlocator/districtofficialsearchbyaddress.aspx

If you use the above with your Zip Code it might work. For some reason it appears to be "busy" and not available at this point. This could be due to numerous factors - I would believe the change over to new members has not yet been updated.

NRA has a site up: http://www.capwiz.com/nra/state/main/?state=IL&view=myofficials&action=chgaddr#0

Of course as an alternative, find your Local Paper here: http://www.newslink.org/ilnews.html

Ask to speak to the Political Writer or the Editor. While you've got them on the phone, tell them why you are calling in simple SOM. They are there to keep the Community Updated on situations and in most cases are very happy (although busy) to assist the Community in "filling the pages" over concerns.

One might consider a Letter to the Editor as well. Make it yours. Weekly.

Mutti

OT (sort of)

We should all be "keeping up" with our Reps/Senators monthly. Our State Senator receives monthly calls from us asking "What do you see on the Horizon? How can we help?" ... that way when issues that might be proposed are put forward, our name is not just on the "rolls" of people to send the next Legislative Ad to.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Boston

Thanks for the info. Called in this morning and confirmed my reps. Calls and e-mails have been made to strongly urge a vote against this bill.

2 clicks low

FROM GUNSSAVELIVES.COM

Greetings gun owners. I need you to call Senator Cullerton's Springfield office. Even if you're not an Illinois resident, as this is without doubt a trial balloon for other states - maybe yours. His number is (217) 782-2728. MELT THE PHONE LINES.

Boston

Already in process. Just bailing away, one bucket at a time

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: 2 clicks low on January 02, 2013, 12:04:06 PM
FROM GUNSSAVELIVES.COM

Greetings gun owners. I need you to call Senator Cullerton's Springfield office. Even if you're not an Illinois resident, as this is without doubt a trial balloon for other states - maybe yours. His number is (217) 782-2728. MELT THE PHONE LINES.

Is there a particular message to use on this Cullerton fellow ?
I will do a call with star 67 if it helps
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

2 clicks low

Thanks Johnyappleseed.

The phone lines are jamed. They will put you on hold and ask which side you are on, thank you and say good by.

I called once from home line and once from cell. I'm sure that they have Caller ID to track over calls.

2cl

Prairie Eagle

Just tried calling Cullerton's office. No answer, recorded message "Mailbox is full, please try again later" (which I will do). Hopefully it is getting crammed up by good solid Americans who know well what they are about!

Johnnyappleseed

Got a nice lady , requested the senator pull his gun ban legislation ,told them "something like this could cause me to move into Wisconsin " she said I understand and thanked me for calling ,she also asked for my name ,which I mispronounced .

Good luck folks
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Mutti

Looks like this is the Amendment:

AMENDMENT TO HOUSE BILL 1263

http://ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09700HB1263sam005&GA=97&SessionId=84&DocTypeId=HB&LegID=57242&DocNum=1263&GAID=11&Session=

Sources "say" this might be heard @ 5:30 pm (i.e. now) although the audio does not seem to be working.

General text if you cannot  get over to the page:

QuoteSen. Antonio Muñoz

Filed: 1/2/2013

09700HB1263sam005      LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

2          AMENDMENT NO. ______. Amend House Bill 1263, AS AMENDED, as
3      follows:

4      immediately above the enacting clause, by inserting the
5      following:

6          "WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court, in its decision
7      in District of Columbia v. Heller (No. 07-290), found that the
8      Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an
9      individual right to possess a firearm, and to use that firearm
10      for traditionally lawful purposes, including self-defense; and

11          WHEREAS, in that same decision, the United States Supreme
12      Court also found that the individual right to possess and use a
13      firearm was not unlimited, that the government has the ability
14      to regulate the possession and use of firearms, and that this
15      right "does not protect those weapons not typically possessed

09700HB1263sam005   - 2 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1      by law abiding citizens for lawful purposes", and that the
2      government may ban entirely "dangerous and unusual weapons";
3      and

4          WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court, in its decision
5      in McDonald v. City of Chicago (No. 08-1521), found that its
6      holding in the Heller case applied to the States, reiterating
7      its findings regarding the validity of the regulation of the
8      individual right to possess and use a firearm, and noting
9      expressly that such incorporation of the holding in the Heller
10      case via the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States
11      Constitution "does not imperil every law regulating firearms";
12      therefore"; and

13      by replacing everything after the enacting clause with the
14      following:

"ARTICLE 1. ILLINOIS SHOOTING RANGE LICENSING ACT

16          Section 1-1. Short title. This Act shall be known as the
17      Illinois Shooting Range Licensing Act.

18          Section 1-5. Definitions.
19          "Department" means the Department of State Police.
20          "Director" means the Director of State Police.
21          "Firearm" has the meaning provided in Section 1.1 of the

09700HB1263sam005   - 3 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1      Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.
2          "Range safety officer" means a person who possesses the
3      knowledge, skills, and aptitude essential to organizing,
4      conducting and supervising safe shooting range activities, and
5      who is certified under the National Rifle Association's Range
6      Safety Officer Program or other equivalent
7      nationally-recognized range safety officer certification.
8          "Shooting range" means a specialized facility designed for
9      firearms practice.
10          "Shooting range activities" means target shooting and any
11      other activities conducted at a shooting range involving the
12      discharge or other use of firearms.
13          "Shooting range operator" means a person who is licensed as
14      a federal firearms dealer under Section 923 of the federal Gun
15      Control Act of 1968, and who owns or operates a shooting range
16      licensed by the Department under this Act.

17          Section 1-10. Shooting ranges and shooting range
18      operators.
19          (a) Beginning on January 1, 2014, no person may own or
20      operate a shooting range that is open to the public unless that
21      shooting range has been issued a license by the Director under
22      this Act.
23          (b) The Department shall license shooting ranges and shall
24      promulgate rules regarding the standards for the ownership,
25      safety, and operation of shooting ranges licensed under this

09700HB1263sam005   - 4 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1      Act, which at a minimum shall require that at all shooting
2      range activities conducted at a licensed shooting range by
3      persons other than the shooting range operator, or his or her
4      immediate family, shall be carried out under the supervision of
5      a range safety officer. The Department shall create standards
6      for both indoor and outdoor shooting ranges, which shall
7      include, at a minimum, the space required for each type of
8      shooting range, and the nature and composition of the backstop,
9      bullet trap, or berm required for each type of shooting range.
10      The Department may develop standards for indoor and outdoor
11      shooting ranges that include maximum caliber ratings and
12      whether magnum and other high-powered bullets can be safely
13      fired into a given backstop, bullet trap, or berm. The
14      Department shall promulgate any other rules it may deem
15      necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act, including
16      the establishment of fees charged and collected for licensing
17      and the duration of licenses issued under this Act.

18          Section 1-15. Judicial review of final administrative
19      decisions. All final administrative decisions of the
20      Department under this Act, including final administrative
21      decisions of the Director of State Police to deny an
22      application for licensure for a shooting range, or to revoke
23      the license of a shooting range, shall be subject to judicial
24      review under the provisions of the Administrative Review Law,
25      and all amendments and modifications thereof, and the rules

09700HB1263sam005   - 5 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1      adopted pursuant thereto. The term "administrative decision"
2      is defined as in Section 3-101 of the Code of Civil Procedure.

3          Section 1-20. Firearms Owner's Identification Card.
4          (a) Only a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification
5      Card may discharge a firearm on a shooting range licensed under
6      this Act.
7          (b) No shooting range operator shall permit an individual
8      to discharge a firearm on a shooting range licensed under this
9      Act, until that individual shall have first displayed a valid
10      Firearm Owner's Identification Card to the shooting range
11      operator or to the range safety officer.

12          Section 1-25. Exemptions. This Act shall not apply to a
13      shooting range that is:
14          (a) Located on private land that is not open to the public.
15          (b) Located on land owned by clubs or other organizations
16      that is open only to members of the club or other organization
17      and their invited guests.
18          (c) Configured for use in trapshooting, skeet shooting, or
19      sporting clays.
20          (d) Used solely by peace officers, as defined in Section
21      2-13 of the Criminal Code of 2012.
22          (e) Used solely by correctional officers employed by the
23      Department of Corrections, or by county correctional officers
24      or court security officers, as defined in Section 2 of the

09700HB1263sam005   - 6 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1      Illinois Police Training Act.
2          (f) Used solely by members of the Armed Services or Reserve
3      Forces of the United States or the Illinois National Guard,
4      while in the performance of their official duties.
5          (g) Used solely for air rifles, as defined by Section
6      24.8-0.1 of the Criminal Code of 2012.

7          Section 1-30. Sentence. A person who violates any provision
8      of this Act, or the rules promulgated under this Act, is guilty
9      of a petty offense for a first violation. A second or
10      subsequent violation of this Act, or the rules promulgated
11      under this Act, is a Class A misdemeanor, and may be grounds
12      for the revocation of the license of the shooting range by the
13      Department.

14          Section 1-35. Home rule. A home rule unit may not regulate
15      or license shooting ranges or shooting range operators in a
16      manner more restrictive than the regulation by the Department
17      of shooting ranges under this Act. This Section is a limitation
18      on home rule powers and functions under subsection (i) of
19      Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution on the
20      concurrent exercise by home rule units of powers and functions
21      exercised by the State. Nothing in this Section shall be
22      construed to limit the zoning authority of any home rule unit.

ARTICLE 5.

09700HB1263sam005   - 7 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1          Section 5-5. The Criminal Code of 2012 is amended by adding
2      Sections 24-1.9 and 24-4.1 as follows:

3          (720 ILCS 5/24-1.9 new)
4          Sec. 24-1.9. Possession, delivery, sale, and purchase of
5      semi-automatic assault weapons, assault weapon attachments,
6      .50 caliber rifles, and .50 caliber cartridges.
7          (a) Definitions. In this Section:
8              (1) "Semi-automatic assault weapon" means:
9                  (A) any of the firearms or types, replicas, or
10              duplicates in any caliber of the firearms, known as:
11                      (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies
12                  Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
13                      (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries
14                  UZI and Galil;
15                      (iii) Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);
16                      (iv) Colt AR-15;
17                      (v) Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and
18                  FNC;
19                      (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
20                      (vii) Steyr AUG;
21                      (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22;
22                  and
23                      (ix) any shotgun which contains its ammunition
24                  in a revolving cylinder, such as (but not limited

09700HB1263sam005   - 8 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1                  to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
2                  (B) a semi-automatic rifle or pump-action rifle
3              that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and
4              has any of the following:
5                      (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
6                      (ii) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
7                      (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or
8                  partially or completely encircles the barrel, and
9                  that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with
10                  the non-trigger hand without being burned;
11                  (C) a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to
12              accept a detachable magazine and has any of the
13              following:
14                      (i) a folding, telescoping, or thumbhole
15                  stock;
16                      (ii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially
17                  or completely encircles the barrel, and that
18                  permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the
19                  non-trigger hand without being burned;
20                      (iii) an ammunition magazine that attaches to
21                  the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
22                      (iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more
23                  when the pistol is unloaded; or
24                      (v) a semi-automatic version of an automatic
25                  firearm;
26                  (C-1) a semi-automatic rifle or pistol with a fixed

09700HB1263sam005   - 9 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1              magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10
2              rounds of ammunition;
3                  (C-2) a semi-automatic rifle or a pistol with the
4              capacity to accept a detachable magazine, a muzzle
5              brake, or muzzle compensator;
6                  (D) a semi-automatic shotgun that has any of the
7              following:
8                      (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
9                      (ii) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
10                      (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5
11                  rounds; or
12                      (iv) an ability to accept a detachable
13                  magazine.
14                      "Semi-automatic assault weapon" does not
15                  include:
16                  (A) any firearm that:
17                      (i) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever,
18                  or slide action;
19                      (ii) is an unserviceable firearm or has been
20                  made permanently inoperable, as defined by 27
21                  C.F.R. 478.11;
22                      (iii) is an antique firearm; or
23                      (iv) is a rifle with a fixed tubular magazine
24                  located under the barrel that is only capable of
25                  holding rounds of ammunition placed end to end;
26                  (B) any air rifle as defined in Section 24.8-0.1 of

09700HB1263sam005   - 10 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1              this Code.
2          For the purposes of this Section, a firearm is considered
3      to have the ability to accept a detachable magazine unless the
4      magazine or ammunition feeding device can only be removed
5      through disassembly of the firearm action.
6              (2) "Assault weapon attachment" means any device
7          capable of being attached to a firearm that is specifically
8          designed for, or when installed will have the effect of,
9          making or converting a firearm into any of the firearms
10          listed in paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of this Section.
11              (3) "Antique firearm" has the meaning ascribed to it in
12          18 U.S.C. Section 921 (a)(16).
13              (4) ".50 caliber rifle" means a centerfire rifle
14          capable of firing a .50 caliber cartridge. The term does
15          not include any antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C.
16          Section 921 (a)(16), any shotgun including a shotgun that
17          has a rifle barrel, or any muzzle loading rifle or shotgun
18          which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder
19          substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition.
20              (5) ".50 caliber cartridge" means a cartridge in .50
21          BMG caliber, as defined by the North Atlantic Treaty
22          Organization's Standardization Agreement 4383, either by
23          designation or actual measurement, that is capable of being
24          fired from a centerfire rifle. The term ".50 caliber
25          cartridge" does not include any memorabilia or display item
26          that is filled with a permanent inert substance or that is

09700HB1263sam005   - 11 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1          otherwise permanently altered in a manner that prevents
2          ready modification for use as live ammunition or shotgun
3          ammunition with a caliber measurement that is equal to or
4          greater than .50 caliber.
5              (6) "Pistol grip" includes any feature of a rifle,
6          shotgun, or pistol capable of functioning as a protruding
7          grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand.
8          (b) Except as provided in subsections (c) and (d), 90 days
9      after January 1, 2014, it is unlawful for any person within
10      this State to knowingly deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or
11      cause to be delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed, directly
12      or indirectly, a semi-automatic assault weapon, an assault
13      weapon attachment, any .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber
14      cartridge.
15          (c) This Section does not apply to a person who possessed a
16      weapon or attachment prohibited by subsection (b) before
17      January 1, 2014, provided that the person has provided proof of
18      ownership, his or her name, and other identifying information
19      to the Department of State Police, as required by the
20      Department, within 90 days after January 1, 2014. On or after
21      January 1, 2014, the person may transfer the weapon or
22      attachment only to an heir, an individual residing in another
23      state maintaining that weapon in another state, or a dealer
24      licensed as a federal firearms dealer under Section 923 of the
25      federal Gun Control Act of 1968. Within 10 days after transfer
26      of the weapon or attachment, the person shall notify the

09700HB1263sam005   - 12 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1      Department of State Police of the name and address of the
2      transferee and comply with the requirements of subsection (b)
3      of Section 3 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. The
4      Department shall promulgate any rules it may deem necessary to
5      carry out the provisions of this subsection, including the
6      establishment of fees charged and collected for collecting and
7      maintaining the information required to be provided under this
8      subsection.
9          (d) This Section does not apply to or affect any of the
10      following:
11              (1) Peace officers as defined in Section 2-13 of this
12          Code.
13              (2) Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of prisons,
14          penitentiaries, jails, and other institutions for the
15          detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense.
16              (3) Members of the Armed Services or Reserve Forces of
17          the United States or the Illinois National Guard, while in
18          the performance of their official duties or while traveling
19          to or from their place of duty.
20              (4) The manufacture, transportation, or distribution
21          of weapons, attachments, or ammunition.
22              (5) The sale of weapons, attachments, or ammunition to
23          persons authorized to possess those items under
24          subdivisions (1) through (3) or subdivision (7) of this
25          subsection.
26              (6) The manufacture, transportation, distribution, or

09700HB1263sam005   - 13 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1          sale of weapons, attachments, or ammunition for sale or
2          transfer in another state.
3              (7) The possession of any firearm if that firearm is
4          sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee and by
5          USA Shooting, the national governing body for
6          international shooting competition in the United States,
7          but only when the firearm is in the actual possession of an
8          Olympic target shooting competitor or target shooting
9          coach for the purpose of storage, transporting to and from
10          Olympic target shooting practice or events if the firearm
11          is broken down in a non-functioning state, is not
12          immediately accessible, or is unloaded and enclosed in a
13          case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other
14          container, and when the Olympic target shooting competitor
15          or target shooting coach is engaging in those practices or
16          events. For the purposes of this paragraph (7), "firearm"
17          is defined in Section 1.1 of the Firearm Owners
18          Identification Card Act.
19              (8) The possession of a semi-automatic assault weapon,
20          an assault weapon attachment, a .50 caliber rifle, or a .50
21          caliber cartridge at events taking place at the World
22          Shooting and Recreational Complex at Sparta, only while
23          engaged in the legal use of the firearm or attachment, or
24          while traveling to or from this location if the items are
25          broken down in a non-functioning state, or are not
26          immediately accessible, or are unloaded and enclosed in a

09700HB1263sam005   - 14 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1          case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other
2          container.
3              (9) The possession of a semi-automatic assault weapon,
4          an assault weapon attachment, a .50 caliber rifle, or a .50
5          caliber cartridge only for a hunting use expressly
6          permitted under the Wildlife Code, or while traveling to or
7          from a location authorized for such hunting use under the
8          Wildlife Code if the items are broken down in a
9          non-functioning state, or are not immediately accessible,
10          or are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying
11          box, shipping box, or other container.
12              (10) The manufacture, transportation, possession,
13          sale, or rental of blank-firing semi-automatic assault
14          weapons and .50 caliber rifles, or the weapons' respective
15          attachments, to persons authorized or permitted, or both
16          authorized and permitted to acquire and possess such
17          weapons for the purposes of rental for use solely as props
18          for a motion picture, television, or video production or
19          entertainment event.
20          (e) Shooting Ranges.
21              (1) A shooting range operator may deliver, sell,
22          purchase, or possess a semi-automatic assault weapon, or an
23          assault weapon attachment, for the purpose of operating,
24          using, or storing the same on the shooting range owned or
25          operated by the shooting range operator, including
26          traveling to and from the shooting range for purposes of

09700HB1263sam005   - 15 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1          purchase, sale, repair, or valuation of the semi-automatic
2          assault weapon or assault weapon attachment. The delivery
3          or sale of a semi-automatic assault weapon, or an assault
4          weapon attachment, by a shooting range operator may only be
5          to a person who may otherwise lawfully possess the
6          semi-automatic assault weapon or assault weapon
7          attachment.
8              (2) Notwithstanding any provision of this Section to
9          the contrary, a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's
10          Identification Card may possess, operate, and use a
11          semi-automatic assault weapon or an assault weapon
12          attachment leased from a shooting range operator, while on
13          the shooting range owned or operated by the shooting range
14          operator. A shooting range operator may lease the use of a
15          semi-automatic assault weapon, or an assault weapon
16          attachment, to a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's
17          Identification Card for the purpose of operating or using
18          the same on the shooting range owned or operated by the
19          shooting range operator. A leased semi-automatic assault
20          weapon or an assault weapon attachment may not be removed
21          from the shooting range by the individual leasing the
22          semi-automatic assault weapon or assault weapon
23          attachment.
24              (3) A shooting range operator must register any
25          semi-automatic assault weapons or assault weapon
26          attachments owned as provided for under subsection (c). A

09700HB1263sam005   - 16 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1          shooting range operator may acquire semi-automatic assault
2          weapons or assault weapon attachments after January 1,
3          2014, and any semi-automatic assault weapons or assault
4          weapon attachments so acquired must also be registered as
5          provided for under subsection (c).
6              (4) For purposes of this subsection:
7                  (i) "Shooting range operator" means a person who is
8              licensed as a federal firearms dealer under Section 923
9              of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, and who owns or
10              operates a shooting range licensed under the Illinois
11              Shooting Range Licensing Act.
12                  (ii) "Shooting range" means a shooting range
13              licensed under the Illinois Shooting Range Licensing
14              Act.
15          (f) Sentence.
16              (1) A person who knowingly delivers, sells, purchases,
17          or possesses or causes to be delivered, sold, purchased, or
18          possessed, directly or indirectly, a semi-automatic
19          assault weapon in violation of this Section commits a Class
20          3 felony for a first violation and a Class 2 felony for a
21          second or subsequent violation or for the possession or
22          delivery of 2 or more of these weapons at the same time.
23              (2) A person who knowingly delivers, sells, purchases,
24          or possesses or causes to be delivered, sold, purchased, or
25          possessed, directly or indirectly, in violation of this
26          Section an assault weapon attachment commits a Class 4

09700HB1263sam005   - 17 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1          felony for a first violation and a Class 3 felony for a
2          second or subsequent violation.
3              (3) A person who knowingly delivers, sells, purchases,
4          or possesses or causes to be delivered, sold, purchased, or
5          possessed, directly or indirectly, in violation of this
6          Section a .50 caliber rifle commits a Class 3 felony for a
7          first violation and a Class 2 felony for a second or
8          subsequent violation or for the possession or delivery of 2
9          or more of these weapons at the same time.
10              (4) A person who knowingly delivers, sells, purchases,
11          or possesses or causes to be delivered, sold, purchased, or
12          possessed, directly or indirectly, in violation of this
13          Section a .50 caliber cartridge commits a Class A
14          misdemeanor.
15              (5) Any other violation of this Section is a Class A
16          misdemeanor.

17          (720 ILCS 5/24-4.1 new)
18          Sec. 24-4.1. Report of lost or stolen semi-automatic
19      assault weapons, assault weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle,
20      or .50 caliber cartridge.
21          (a-5) A person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's
22      Identification Card and who possesses or acquires a
23      semi-automatic assault weapon, an assault weapon attachment, a
24      .50 caliber rifle, or a .50 caliber cartridge and thereafter
25      loses or misplaces the semi-automatic assault weapon, assault

09700HB1263sam005   - 18 -   LRB097 07183 JWD 73033 a

1      weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge
2      or the semi-automatic assault weapon, assault weapon
3      attachment, .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge is
4      stolen from the person, the person must report the loss or
5      theft to the local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after
6      obtaining knowledge of the loss or theft.
7          (b) Sentence. A person who violates this Section is guilty
8      of a petty offense for a first violation. A second violation of
9      this Section is a Class A misdemeanor. A third or subsequent
10      violation of this Section is a Class 4 felony.

ARTICLE 9.

12          Section 9-97. Severability. The provisions of this Act are
13      severable under Section 1.31 of the Statute on Statutes.

14          Section 9-99. Effective date. This Act takes effect January
15      1, 2014.".

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Edheler

Sourced from reddit:

AMENDMENT TO HOUSE BILL 815

Good luck, otherwise it looks like a traditional Appleseed will be difficult to implement.

Prairie Eagle

Discussion of the bill is occurring right now:
http://www.ilga.gov/senate/audvid.asp#

Listen to Live Committee Room 409 Audio

You can file witness slips opposing the legislation here:
http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/HearingDetail/10407?SCommittees-page=1&SCommittees-orderBy=&SCommittees-filter=

Please do so with great haset (even if not an Illinois resident). We need to kill this before it moves out of committee.

Boston

That was frustrating to listen to.

Prairie Eagle

Yes, incredibly so. Both bills reported favorably to the senate floor where they will be voted on in their current form.

Law abiding responsible gun owners in Illinois are being turned into felons overnight.

Johnnyappleseed

I would surmise the Chicago area has enough reps to overwhelm the sane Illinois legislators.

Hopefully 2a foundation NRA/ILA may have some legal procedures to challenge some of the worst parts .

Good job getting this out for folks to call ,keep us posted on the developments .
Calvin Coolidge

2 clicks low

Any legal types out there?
Please look at Section 1-35 of Admendment to 1263.
This limits home rule. Dosen't that require a supermajority?
At least that was the reason the CCW bill was put on hold as it was 6 votes short of the supermajority needed to overrule home rule.

2cl

Johnnyappleseed

Calvin Coolidge

colycat

Just called Sen. president Cullerton's office 217-782-2728 to express my opinion.  Nice lady answered the phone and asked for my name.  She did not ask if I lived in IL.

Melt down the phones, its easy.  Remember to be polite.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Prairie Eagle

Thank you copycat, truly - your support for fellow Americans is greatly appreciated. I promise to return the favor when WI faces the same. It looks like we may need to support Colorado, New York, and Maryland next.

It seems to have worked (for today), this was just shared by our NRA lobbyist (Todd Vandermyde):

QuoteSenate exec just adjourned, they did not take up the gun bill amendments

They are heading to the floor and we are told they will not take up the gun bills

We won

Its beer ;30

If we can hold them off through next Monday we are out of the lame duck session where the craziness is worst (i.e. our 66% midnight tax increase last year). The next session would begin in earnest in Feb. They may be out of time this session with the senate only in Monday and the House in Sun/Mon but it is too soon to tell, and I'll be keeping the heat on.

Yogi

Called the numbers ISRA sent as well as my reps. Call every day until next Wed. Hope the downstate conservatives hold.

2 clicks low

This is far from over. Senate will meet again. They intend to introduce same thing into the House next meeting (Sunday ?).

Keep at it. Call every day. Both Sen. and Rep.

1 minute email and phone call. Every day. From everyone you can get to help.

Prairie Eagle

This just posted by Todd Vanermyde (NRA state Rep):
House staff has called to let us know that the Governor and Chicago Mayor will attempt a gun and magazine ban when the House reconvenes for the lame duck session.

They will reconvene on Sunday at 5pm

Go get 'em. . .

No rest for the weary. This is the way things work in the peoples republic of Madiganistan (late night back room tactics).

Boston

Got some good feedback from my state rep but no word to my e-mails and call to my senator.

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the gun legislation expected to be proposed.
It is still somewhat unclear as to exactly what the bills will look like when they are formally introduced.  We will have a better idea of what the bills will and will not do in the near future.   If the bills look the way they have been described to me, I will definitely be voting no if they reach the House. Right now I am keeping a close eye on the action in the Senate to see exactly what we will be confronted with in the House, if anything.
Again, thank you for bringing this proposed legislation to my attention. I will be sure to keep your comments in mind if any proposals come to the House for a vote. Please feel free to contact me again in the future if I may be of further assistance.
Cordially,
Kay Hatcher
State Representative
50th District

32clickshigh

Just a heads up everyone, they are trying again Sunday at 5pm to push this through the last session of the state house of representatives.